WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School Me On Generators

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Have had a honda for years . I know some members have had good luck with the HF Predator's. Both of them are very quiet.

That one from costo looks like one of those loud mofo's. Not ideal for residential .

sintax

Reaction score
yea, find the db value under full load and compare that to others. Something to remember about db's...

In decibel terms, a doubling in loudness corresponds to roughly an increase in 10 dB. It doesn’t matter whether that increase is from 40 dB to 50 dB or 70 dB to 80 dB

HCP3

Reaction score

4Waters

Reaction score

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I went and got the 2200i. Honda its small and quiet,. did the propane conversion ( that took all of 10 min)
that way I don't have to worry about having good fuel when I do need it . ( but you can still use regular gas )
its enough to run any thing that you would need in an emergency

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I would say with all the circuit boards and fancy do dads fridges have now a days, I agree with @4Waters not worth it. At this point basically open frame non inverter generators are "construction" generators and you can safety go nuts with them running skill saws and stuff. I would be careful with anything plugged in that has electronics or computer chips.

Having said that, much like @SoCalDave I have a HF predator 2000 and I have abused the heck out of it this summer and probably put 2-300 hours on it

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Drop a couple hundred more and buy an inverter generator(yes they even make open frame inverters). Some solid deals have been popping up recently you just have to keep an eye out.
I have both the Predator 3500 and the Wen 2200i and theyve been pretty bullet proof so far.

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
I honestly thought you just turn the damn thing on and plug stuff in. Seems the inverter route is the way to go. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81Sprint

Reaction score
I have the Firman 2900 inv/generator never had an issue with it. Can't beat the lifetime warranty Costco offers on these!

hallett21

Reaction score
If it’s just the fridge get a small inverter generator like a Honda 2200.

Generators are like gun safes, can’t have a big enough one.

IMO I would find an inverter generator that is 240v. Costs more but you have much more capability.

Honda has never let us down but they are pricey. I have no experience with the predators.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Your probably going to want to run more than just refrigerators if the power grid shits the bed. That’s not a lot of wattage and you would need to run it thru an inverter before plugging into your house so it’s not a very good deal IMO. I would look for an Inverter/Generator something in the 7K-10K range at a minimum. When you start turning on lights, heater, televisions, microwaves, computers, etc… it adds up quick!

Last edited:

JDKRXW

Reaction score
  • Carbon Monoxide Alert & Auto-Shutoff Feature
Stay very far away from this 'feature' on any generator or inverter unless you're not smart enough to take it outside to run.
The wind blowing the wrong direction will shut it down and I understand it's very hard to defeat this switch.

I'm happy with this one, and its got a 30 amp plug to run a small a/c.
Don't even think about a generator for anything (even a construction site) other than for somewhere no one is around.

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
If it’s just the fridge get a small inverter generator like a Honda 2200.

Generators are like gun safes, can’t have a big enough one.

IMO I would find an inverter generator that is 240v. Costs more but you have much more capability.

Honda has never let us down but they are pricey. I have no experience with the predators.

Considering I quickly filled up the safe, I may search for a larger inverter generator. Good analogy. [emoji23]

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
Your probably going to want to run more that refrigerators if the power grid shuts the bed. That’s not a lot of wattage and you would need to run it thru an in error. Who’re plugging into your house so it’s not a very good deal IMO. I would look for an Inverter/Generator something in the 7K-10K range at a minimum. When you start turning on lights, heater, televisions, microwaves, computers, etc… it adds up quick!

Good call… especially with two little ones at home, I’m sure there will be a slightly higher demand.

hallett21

Reaction score
3,000 running watts will let you keep the lights on (LEDS), fridge on, run the microwave, watch TV and run the FAU fan.

If you want AC then you gotta step it up to at least 7,000.

4Waters

Reaction score
Good call… especially with two little ones at home, I’m sure there will be a slightly higher demand.

We were off for 3 days in January when a wind storm hit. I ran 2 generators 1 big one (non inverter) to run the house (lights, ceiling fans....) but had to replace the LED bulbs with incandescent and unplug all TV's, receivers, fridges, freezers, microwave and stove turn the pool off and the HVAC. I used a predator 2000 to power the fridge and freezer, 1 TV/receiver and the stove (our stove has a shut off valve that won't allow gas to flow if there is no power) so we could cook. I am going to get 1 big inverter generator this season to power the house so I don't have to go through the trouble of unplugging everything and running ext. cords everywhere.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
As we speak I am off the grid with the potential to have the following running:

2 computer monitors
2 laptops
2 -15000 btu coleman airexcel AC units
1 residential fridge
... plus all the vanpires like a microwave, 2 tvs, and internet router etc...

I am using 3423 wattts....

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
As we speak I am off the grid with the potential to have the following running:

2 computer monitors
2 laptops
2 -15000 btu coleman airexcel AC units
1 residential fridge
... plus all the vanpires like a microwave, 2 tvs, and internet router etc...

I am using 3423 wattts....

That’s a good reference point. Thanks.

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
3,000 running watts will let you keep the lights on (LEDS), fridge on, run the microwave, watch TV and run the FAU fan.

If you want AC then you gotta step it up to at least 7,000.

Perfect [emoji1303]

Thank you!

hallett21

Reaction score
Perfect [emoji1303]

Thank you!

Just a word of caution. If you’re using this to power an entire home you need 240v. Otherwise with 120v you can only run half of the panel.

The big pain is that the 240v generators usually start at 5,000 watts. I know it’s clear as mud lol

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Just a word of caution. If you’re using this to power an entire home you need 240v. Otherwise with 120v you can only run half of the panel.

The big pain is that the 240v generators usually start at 5,000 watts. I know it’s clear as mud lol

Good Point!... I am running off a split phase inverter and L1 = 1543 watts and L2 = 1572 at the moment. But I cheat with my predator 2000 and just hook it to a 48v battery charger connected directly to my battery bus bar if I need a little extra watts for the day... Just to muddy the waters even more!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Just got my generator all hooked up to power my home in an emergency.

7500 running watts, 220v, 50 amp propane/gas generator. It’s loud as shit, but I’ve got a 40-foot cord so can put it a bit away from the house.

Sensitive electronics already run thru a Panamax line conditioner/UPS with three large lead-acid batteries.

It’ll power my entire first floor including HVAC. I did install a soft-start kit on my AC compressor.

Total cost:
$1000-ish for the generator
$650-ish for the power cord, panel/transfer switch
$475 for my electrician buddy to install…took him all day.

IMG_7430.jpg

IMG_7429.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dr Rob

Reaction score
Drop a couple hundred more and buy an inverter generator(yes they even make open frame inverters). Some solid deals have been popping up recently you just have to keep an eye out.
I have both the Predator 3500 and the Wen 2200i and theyve been pretty bullet proof so far.

You can add the Westinghouse 4500 watt inverter generator to that list also. We now have four of them on the ranch. Quiet and trouble-free.

4Waters

Reaction score
Have the same generator, I added electric start.

kurtis500

Reaction score
Its the one and only time you really need it the cheapos may not work. Years ago when buying a generator I researched far and wide for reviews. I wanted to avoid the cost of the Honda or Yamaha but still get the ability to run like I had one. I almost bought a cheaper inverter generator for half the price. One day I stumbled upon a forum with some guys that camp in the Arizona desert in the heat.. Exactly what I planned to do at Apache Lake. One guy had a Yamaha and the other a new knock-off generator. In the middle of the day and in the 110+ heat the knock off generator would start to trip the breaker shutting off the AC. When you need your AC that is THE LAST TIME you want that problem happening. 110+ in the AZ heat and sun can get ugly real quick. The Yamaha guy never had an issue. These were side by side and I happened to read their comments on a forum. The knock-off worked flawlessly until that important moment. I bought a Yamaha 6 years ago and its the most reliable thing ever, including 8 hours in the 110+ heat at full throttle.

just an FYI

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I have a 10K startup, 8K running load Kohler generator that has (2) 220V outlets plus additional 110V outlets. I was thinking about getting an electrician to install two 220V plugs and tie that into the main panel, and a manual transfer switch to get off the mains to avoid backfeeding the grid. That way I can just run the majority of the house by plugging in both 220V from the generator to the house without running extension cords into the house to various things. What would this typically cost?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ya want under 3% harmonic distortion.
That sledge hammers of hell block shaking Firman is 30%.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I'm on a dozen acres north of Williams, at ~6000' elevation.
5 or 6 days a week.
Totally off grid. I am the water, power, gas and guy at my place. Everything is imported.

Genny gets run from about 6:50 to 7:20 every am. Its a Wen 4500 unit, electric start, over a thousand hours. Purrs like a kitten. Can even runs the A/C on the hot days.

Dan'l

Dr Rob

Reaction score
I'm on a dozen acres north of Williams, at ~6000' elevation.
5 or 6 days a week.
Totally off grid. I am the water, power, gas and guy at my place. Everything is imported.

Genny gets run from about 6:50 to 7:20 every am. Its a Wen 4500 unit, electric start, over a thousand hours. Purrs like a kitten. Can even runs the A/C on the hot days.

Dan'l
I am pretty sure we are neighbors. Same situation LOL

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I have the same one sitting in the backyard, fire it up every weekend just to hear it purr. I got it from our very own @Blackmagic94 for quite a bit less than 28k [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

holy shit that guy is high on crack to think he is gonna get 30k

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Everyone likes to talk shit on the cheap ones because they’re not overpriced Honda’s, but I’ve yet to see weekend warriors tacking on thousands of hours on their units.

View attachment 1043411
View attachment 1043412

Gives me some hope.
Mine was a garage sale unit with 8xx hours.
Change the half a quart of oil every 60 days or so. Clean the air filter gas and go.

Dan'l