WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School Me On Jeep Renegade's

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Hey All,

Daughter is turning 16 and we are looking at cars for her. Goal would be to get her a car to use for the last 2 years of high school and through college. She may be heading back East for school so we kind of like the idea of sending her off with 4 wheel drive for inclimate weather, it's not too big, not too small, wanting something reliable, etc.

Any feedback on these or any other cars along those lines from those that have them or have sent kids off to college with cars.

Thanks in advance!

boatpi

Reaction score
Made in Italy. I am waiting on a Bronco Sport, same off to college.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Hey All,

Daughter is turning 16 and we are looking at cars for her. Goal would be to get her a car to use for the last 2 years of high school and through college. She may be heading back East for school so we kind of like the idea of sending her off with 4 wheel drive for inclimate weather, it's not too big, not too small, wanting something reliable, etc.

Any feedback on these or any other cars along those lines from those that have them or have sent kids off to college with cars.

Thanks in advance!

I've got a line on one that the owner died, not super loaded but low miles, garage kept, around 4 years old. I'm going to look at it Wednesday in havasu if that's a direction you want to go...im not interested in it personally. I was interested in it to flip...

RodnJen

Reaction score
Check out a Mazda CX-5 AWD. They are solid, nice driving cars that won’t break the bank.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
There are two groups of people when it comes to 4WD:

1. Folks who know when and how to use it.

2. The vast majority of people, who have no idea how to activate 4WD, let alone remember to activate it in inclement weather.

If she’s in group 2, AWD (or full-time 4WD) might be a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SoCalDave

Reaction score
^^this^^
Jeeps are brutal daily drivers but very popular lately.

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
I've got a line on one that the owner died, not super loaded but low miles, garage kept, around 4 years old. I'm going to look at it Wednesday in havasu if that's a direction you want to go...im not interested in it personally. I was interested in it to flip...
Possibly...let me know what you come up with? Thanks!

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
^^this^^
Jeeps are brutal daily drivers but very popular lately.
I get it...my in-laws have a Wrangler and love it but every time I am in it I always think how uncomfortable it is? I like it to play with but not for a daily...wasn't sure about the Renegade since it is more of a crossover, etc.

Thanks!

badgas

Reaction score
There are two groups of people when it comes to 4WD:

1. Folks who know when and how to use it.

2. The vast majority of people, who have no idea how to activate 4WD, let alone remember to activate it in inclement weather.

If she’s in group 2, AWD (or full-time 4WD) might be a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good points

My kids are in group #2 One has an AWD rav4 the other has a Subaru Impreza sport hatchback. The Subaru AWD is much better than it's competitors and does really well on ice/snow.

My sons Subaru is a 2015 that he picked up in 2018 with 35K miles it now has 75K and no issues. I really like the way it drives and all Subies have really good saftey ratings.

I have never had a reliable jeep product.

6 balls

Reaction score
Jeep Renegade…

E6311BCA-72E0-4343-A056-B603526F6996.jpeg

8E2658F4-3127-49E3-B415-EA078E15D76F.jpeg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Good points

My kids are in group #2 One has an AWD rav4 the other has a Subaru Impreza sport hatchback. The Subaru AWD is much better than it's competitors and does really well on ice/snow.

My sons Subaru is a 2015 that he picked up in 2018 with 35K miles it now has 75K and no issues. I really like the way it drives and all Subies have really good saftey ratings.

I have never had a reliable jeep product.

I have rented a ton of Subaru outbacks/forresters in Montana.....they are great for the snow/ice. Someday when we make the final move we will likely own one.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Well I did have a 1976 Renegade with the V8 and 4 speed. Used it for offroad mostly. I have had a couple of buddies get into these todays models and start to complain of the ride quality after a few months. Sounds like they have not changed much...

Last edited:

Sherpa

Reaction score

If the original poster isn't interested in that jeep you're looking at from the neighbor, I might be... I'm in the same boat looking for a vehicle for my daughter.

lavey jr

Reaction score
My wife had a Renegade.
It wasn’t very good at all.

Pros: lots of space for a small suv, good mpg, good visibility, handled well.
Cons: rattled a lot, transmission is sluggish, very slow, used 1 quart of oil about a month and a half, electrical issues that the dealer couldn’t figure out. The electrical issue were very bad and dangerous. The car would randomly shut off completely and it didn’t care what speed you were driving.

Maybe we got a bad one but that was our experience.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
As far as the new Renegade goes…it’s a Fiat 500x with different sheetmetal.

Built in the same factory.
Same bullshit quality…or lack thereof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk