WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Jeeps

WYRD

Reaction score
not 100 accurate.
my 4 door JKUR fits on 35’s. Will fit 37’s as well
2x6 frame with 19.5 capacity
Purchased it from a RDP member. Purpose built for a Jeep while staying under 35’ for all Federal and State parks
Nice setup but a fully loaded custom santek trailer is not yore average toyhauler.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Go rent a Jeep and drive it down the highway.....IMO they suck, you have to drive them, change lanes by themselves when you hit a bump....not my cup of tea. Completely changed my mind on owning one. JMO
it's not a cadillac.

JD D05

Reaction score
Go rent a Jeep and drive it down the highway.....IMO they suck, you have to drive them, change lanes by themselves when you hit a bump....not my cup of tea. Completely changed my mind on owning one. JMO

No doubt this is true. I actually enjoy it though keeps me busy maybe. I have done a couple mods that have helped with one more that should make it better to go.

Reactions: DWC

Taboma

Reaction score
Been in Havasu the past 10 days and have been using both the new Can Am and our modded Rubicon. Two different animals, but I would not give up the Jeep. It’s actually cool to take both out back to back. You will be much slower in a Jeep, but they will go anywhere a SxS will with a decent setup.

When we were comparing both for use up at our ranch and surrounding washes and mountains, I kept running up against one major CON for the Jeep. The willingness to blatantly desert pin stripe the sides of a $ 50+ K Jeep. Where as each SxS we've purchased, regardless of price, the first thing I do still showroom clean, is defile it's sides driving through nasty bushes. I want to get the new off, first thing.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
a stock Rubicon can go places most people don’t realize.
I know for a fact our 04' LJ WILL go places I and mama won't. Hell our RZR 570 would go places we wouldn't. 😁

CLdrinker

Reaction score
When we were comparing both for use up at our ranch and surrounding washes and mountains, I kept running up against one major CON for the Jeep. The willingness to blatantly desert pin stripe the sides of a $ 50+ K Jeep. Where as each SxS we've purchased, regardless of price, the first thing I do still showroom clean, is defile it's sides driving through nasty bushes. I want to get the new off, first thing.
No difference between a 50k sxs and a 50k Jeep

PlanB

Reaction score

My Jeep had some “ pinstripes” from the trails, but the worst was from yesterday when a stranger’s dog we ran into out in the trails jumped up on the side of the passenger door. Deep scratches from this assholes out of control dog. Needs the be buffed now.

Taboma

Reaction score

I'd never spend $ 50K on a SxS, ever, and nothing about the several I've owned even remotely suggested they're intended to be pretty mall cruisers. No cute lights, no radio, they're tools for working in the dirt. Maybe, they get washed once a year other than hosing off some mud. I see no reason to wash one, only to take it out and get it dirty again.
So yes, there's a difference, unless I bought an older jeep, but then I had an older 95' jeep that I'd barely trust to get me to the Havasu Home Depot, and back home, so I sold it.

C-2

Reaction score
As a price point comparison, we bought a 2-door super clean 2014 Wrangler sport with 40K miles for my daughter, new Yoko AT Geolanders, had never been offroad. $20K out the door from Longo. Private parties wanted more...

I had never driven a Jeep before and I gotta say - it's a blast to drive; I drive it every chance I get.

C-2

Reaction score
Oops, it had 50K
IMG-4239.jpg

Hava-Schiada

Reaction score
Jeep’s capabilities will blow your mid. I have a stock 2019 Rubicon and it surprises me every time on the trail. Add the longer range, no dust in your face, AC, XM radio, and it makes a great alternative to a SXS. Went the back way to the Desert Bar on Saturday.
92E7BD10-2045-43BE-844B-1D7258FE0A88.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
My Jeep had some “ pinstripes” from the trails, but the worst was from yesterday when a stranger’s dog we ran into out in the trails jumped up on the side of the passenger door. Deep scratches from this assholes out of control dog. Needs the be buffed now.

Dogs running loose around our ranch area is one reason my wife really appreciates the doors on the Wildcat XX, vs the open sides of our first Ranger. I used to tease her, dogs running along side, barking, gnashing of teeth, and I'd be throttling just enough to keep them pacing us, while she'd screaming for me to FUCKING PUNCH IT :eek: 😂

Taboma

Reaction score
Jeep’s capabilities will blow your mid. I have a stock 2019 Rubicon and it surprises me every time on the trail. Add the longer range, no dust in your face, AC, XM radio, and it makes a great alternative to a SXS. Went the back way to the Desert Bar on Saturday. View attachment 975231

I'd have to have your kind of money, before I could scratch something that pretty. :oops:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Huge difference. SXS plastics are cheap. and go back to looking new with a $10 can of silicone spray.

I'd argue you don't need anything close to a $50K SXS either. You can find something great that is lightly used for mid $20Ks.

5 years ago an $18K RZR 1000 was the pinnacle of SXS performance. It is still pretty darn good today.

PlanB

Reaction score
Dogs running loose around our ranch area is one reason my wife really appreciates the doors on the Wildcat XX, vs the open sides of our first Ranger. I used to tease her, dogs running along side, barking, gnashing of teeth, and I'd be throttling just enough to keep them pacing us, while she'd screaming for me to FUCKING PUNCH IT :eek: 😂

Yeah, definitely the worst scratches on the Jeep now:

6C7D6DD2-FA41-4322-9181-79BA54380C64.jpeg
B07F31D7-0098-4561-BD21-D0E3A4A53EF3.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score

I had to pinstripe my previous black F150 Platinum 4x, when our RZR fuel pump took a shit leaving us stranded in the wilderness. After hiking out, getting rides and finally retrieving the truck, I had to drive it towing the trailer to pick up the RZR and the sound of it getting desert pinstriped was ugly --- so I cranked up the audio. 🥴
Oddly, the sound was far worse then the damage I discovered after having it detailed later. After a good wax, it was barely noticeable. 👍 Paint was tougher than I'd imagined.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely the worst scratches on the Jeep now:

View attachment 975239 View attachment 975241

HOLY SHIT --- I hope you ran that bitch over :mad: One day up by the ranch we came around a corner and there standing before us was a loose Texas Long Horn staring us down. I slowly put it in reverse, flipped a U-Turn and hauled ass the opposite direction. 😂 I had bruises on my leg for a week from my wife apparently sending me encouragement to retreat. 🤕

PlanB

Reaction score
They had at least 6 dogs with them off leash. I did not want to run one of them over, so I could not go anywhere. I have a pic of the guy’s license plate. Thinking about sending him a bill.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
When was the last time you changed your tampon ffs? 😂
Ive been driving mine 60ish miles a day since my dd beater took a shit.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I know you said you needed a 4 door but i would suggest considering an older 4.0 LJ over the pentastar shitbox.
$25k can buy you a decent building block, Savvy mid arm kit, and 33's.......id call it a day after that.

Taboma

Reaction score
They had at least 6 dogs with them off leash. I did not want to run one of them over, so I could not go anywhere. I have a pic of the guy’s license plate. Thinking about sending him a bill.

Not the dog(s), the owner 😂

JD D05

Reaction score
So the wife and I have been wanting a sxs for a while but the prices keep getting higher and higher and when the market returns to normal the resale will go back to be horrible again.

So recently we have thought about buying a jeep. I can use it to commute to work 2 days a week
( better than my 6.4 hemi )
We would have ac and heat while off-roading. Being able to drive to the trail is a benefit.

So if we decide to go down this path what should I look out for? Engine and trans issues? What years are better than others?
Budget would be at the top 25k. Would be used on mild trails. Oh has to be automatic trans. Is that a problem? Must be 4 door. As always reliable is most important.

I have wanted a Jeep and always thought it would be really fun for the weekends I'm not boating or snowmobiling. Something easier to just go and spend time with my little boy and daughters. A few months ago my buddy who has a really nice Wrangler talked me into taking my beater out with him and doing the Pony Express trail and my kids had a blast. That pushed me over the edge to get one and start over landing. It evolved into my company giving me and my brother a car allowance and for whatever reason the company wanted to lease them. I have every intention of purchasing it at the end but point is the lease is really not bad at all.

20210207_095546.jpg
20210207_113932.jpg
20210207_113621.jpg

tankman

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. If anyone is looking for a clean L J. I am getting ready to list mine shortly. 2004 white 58k mi. , auto, soft top ( no hard top) , only off road it has seen is dirt roads.
( I dont know how to post pics ) 20K FIRM serious only please, text if you would like more info. 928-706-8660 Thanks

Track Man

Reaction score
I bought 08 rubicon brand new. I put Matt tracks on it to get and out of my house. I live 9 miles back in on a groomed snowmobile trail. Yes it’s gutless but I have beat the shit out of it. Jeep offered me a lifetime powertrain warranty when I bought the Jeep. It’s been the best warrantee I ever bought. I probably had $20,000 in warranty work done so far. I sold the tracks last year and just use it for going to town and four wheeling. I also have an 84 Jeep CJ for Havasu. I love my jeeps.
1C30F527-9F4A-4F5F-B2D1-8EC828C26954.jpeg

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
a stock Rubicon can go places most people don’t realize.
They are amazing. JK or JL. We have a JL now, but loved our JK as well. All of the comments regarding heat, and air and dust vs the SxS are accurate. One downside, at the end of a long day out with our friends and their SxSs half the gang wants to ride home with us!

With air pressure down to 18ish, the Jeeps are faster than you think. Every time we pull up to the gang for a beer stop someone says "man, you got here way quicker than I thought you would." Annnnndddddd, I tow home broken SxSs. Maybe that's another downside...

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. If anyone is looking for a clean L J. I am getting ready to list mine shortly. 2004 white 58k mi. , auto, soft top ( no hard top) , only off road it has seen is dirt roads.
( I dont know how to post pics ) 20K FIRM serious only please, text if you would like more info. 928-706-8660 Thanks
Ours is a little younger with 52K on it. Same, same except color, ours is Shale Green Metallic. Has a whole lot of goodies on it.

Ladsm

Reaction score
Just Empty Every Pocket!! I want the jeep Gladiator on some 37" tires so I can do some 4 wheeling with the AC on and launch the boat on some dirt ramps and beaches. It couldnt replace my SxS, the faster paced SxS runs would destroy a street vehicle.

Singleton

Reaction score
They are amazing. JK or JL. We have a JL now, but loved our JK as well. All of the comments regarding heat, and air and dust vs the SxS are accurate. One downside, at the end of a long day out with our friends and their SxSs half the gang wants to ride home with us!

With air pressure down to 18ish, the Jeeps are faster than you think. Every time we pull up to the gang for a beer stop someone says "man, you got here way quicker than I thought you would." Annnnndddddd, I tow home broken SxSs. Maybe that's another downside...

yep. I run 22psi on most trails. Drop to 16 if I get into bigger rocks
first trip with the wife back in 2014 (weekend after purchase), I did not air down - she was not happy. Second trip, dropped the air and she was a happy camper.

My next purchase is a portable welder - friend has one and it has saved folks in our group a few times now.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Just Empty Every Pocket!! I want the jeep Gladiator on some 37" tires so I can do some 4 wheeling with the AC on and launch the boat on some dirt ramps and beaches. It couldnt replace my SxS, the faster paced SxS runs would destroy a street vehicle.
I’m more of the cruiser type in my old age.
My brother in law got a roof top tent. That looks fun.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I love it when asked if a Dana 30-25-35 will be ok on 35’s if I don’t get on it hard.

And then when they get stuck and hammer on it,
Resulting in the infamous “bang” as the (insert broken shit here) scenario...

you could put 44” tires on it.

the MAX tire I would put on a Dana 44 would be

A 35” tire... requires a regear... at the same time

-Sherpa

Singleton

Reaction score
I’m more of the cruiser type in my old age.
My brother in law got a roof top tent. That looks fun.

those roof top tent are heavy and impact travel.
if you add one of those, upgrade springs and shocks.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
We bought an '18 JK (they had both models in '18) in mid '18 for my wife. She loves it. We went to the dealership to buy the new JL, but oddly neither of us could fit in it very well, so luckily we could still get a new JK.

The only problem we've had is it needed the gas tank replaced due to a leak.

Our Sahara came with 3.73 gears with the max tow package. I put a 2.5" spring spacer kit in it, and our next mod will be larger wheels/tires. We call it the Barbie Jeep. (pavement princess)

Attachments

• 20180722_154137.jpg
    20180722_154137.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 60

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I love it when asked if a Dana 30-25-35 will be ok on 35’s if I don’t get on it hard.

And then when they get stuck and hammer on it,
Resulting in the infamous “bang” as the (insert broken shit here) scenario...

you could put 44” tires on it.

the MAX tire I would put on a Dana 44 would be

A 35” tire... requires a regear... at the same time

-Sherpa
Some people drive with common sense. If I have to worry about breaking an axle on type of trails I intend to go on.
I’m round filing this whole idea.

Dana757

Reaction score
You want a Rubicon not only because of the D44’s / lockers They have a much lower low range in the transfer case too. For what you say you’ll do with it you’ll be fine as far as breaking axles goes. If it’s ever a problem just slide some Chrome Molly’s in there and call it a day.
I love my Jeep. Yay!

DanG

Reaction score
Love our Jeep. As mentioned, if your going JKU (4-door) be sure to get a 2012 or newer for the extra power.
Pros - Go anywhere, fun to drive casually, A/C and Heat, removable top/doors, can tow/launch small trailer, and overall just f'ing cool!
Cons - Not good for long trips, off roading at much slower pace, washed out trails suck...I guess that's about it cause they're awesome.

1614023493267.png

81Sprint

Reaction score
yep. I run 22psi on most trails. Drop to 16 if I get into bigger rocks
first trip with the wife back in 2014 (weekend after purchase), I did not air down - she was not happy. Second trip, dropped the air and she was a happy camper.

My next purchase is a portable welder - friend has one and it has saved folks in our group a few times now.
Airing down is a must, i run 30 psi on the road and 17 on the dirt/sand, soaks up the rocks really nice

BingerFang

Reaction score
818ECBB0-D64C-4730-BF29-30F28A9E10C0.jpeg

I have an 89 XJ I bought 3 years ago from a gold prospector for $5k and have not changed anything but the oil. It has the 4.0 inline 6 with 245k on the odometer. Runs 70 up and down the highway and goes up and down everything the dudes with the fully built & financed jeeps go.

I grew up racing dirt bikes, going really fast and making fun of people with Jeep’s every chance I could. With the Jeep, I’m not worried about breaking my body or my vehicle. Drinking a beer, heater and tunes on, gf in the passenger seat, hunting dog in the back and a shotgun next to the cooler. Jeep life is good life!

Just had a buddy buy this maroon 2002 Cherokee for 3k. With a $600 lift, wheels and tires he cruises up and down the same trails with no issues.

2323C74D-C514-4143-9022-A3A5710638CD.jpeg

I wish I had more to add on what to look for when buying one but I don’t know anything. All I can say is that even the less expensive ones are a lot more capable than most people think and you don’t need to break the bank to get out there and have fun on 99.9% of trails.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Some people drive with common sense. If I have to worry about breaking an axle on type of trails I intend to go on.
I’m round filing this whole idea.

Lol and you thought a SXS was expensive :)

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Dumb question...also in the market (just started looking for daughter's daily and to tow behind MH)...what does "JK" and "JL" mean?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
View attachment 975432

I have an 89 XJ I bought 3 years ago from a gold prospector for $5k and have not changed anything but the oil. It has the 4.0 inline 6 with 245k on the odometer. Runs 70 up and down the highway and goes up and down everything the dudes with the fully built & financed jeeps go.

I grew up racing dirt bikes, going really fast and making fun of people with Jeep’s every chance I could. With the Jeep, I’m not worried about breaking my body or my vehicle. Drinking a beer, heater and tunes on, gf in the passenger seat, hunting dog in the back and a shotgun next to the cooler. Jeep life is good life!

Just had a buddy buy this maroon 2002 Cherokee for 3k. With a $600 lift, wheels and tires he cruises up and down the same trails with no issues.

View attachment 975440

I wish I had more to add on what to look for when buying one but I don’t know anything. All I can say is that even the less expensive ones are a lot more capable than most people think and you don’t need to break the bank to get out there and have fun on 99.9% of trails.

Your XJ is bad ass!

Those older XJs or late 90s -2000s Grand Cherokee are the way to go for cheap off roading.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Your XJ is bad ass!

Those older XJs or late 90s -2000s Grand Cherokee are the way to go for cheap off roading.

Thanks! I thought I over paid when I bought it but it has impressed me every time I've taken it out. It's a limited "Wagoneer" edition xj so the wood paneling is how it came from the factory with electric windows and seats.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Dumb question...also in the market (just started looking for daughter's daily and to tow behind MH)...what does "JK" and "JL" mean?
JK is the series of Wrangler from 2007 - 2018. JL's started in 2018 and are the current model. There were both in 2018. I had a 2018 JK, we called it the Just Kidding.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thanks! I thought I over paid when I bought it but it has impressed me every time I've taken it out. It's a limited "Wagoneer" edition xj so the wood paneling is how it came from the factory with electric windows and seats.

It’s the wood that makes it good!

81Sprint

Reaction score
Those old Cherokees are super cool, the XJ is a cheap way to get into Jeepin

BingerFang

Reaction score
Well i should have said "cheaper" :cool:

Ahaha they used to be $1,500.... I was told I was way over paying at $5k for mine 3 years ago and now there are some on Craigslist going for $10-15k lol! Ridiculous.