WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Jeeps

1tonfun

Reaction score
I found a bone stock 07 JK base model with 100k on it a couple of years ago for $11k and picked it up. Since then we added a custom long arm 4" lift, 35" on bead locks, dana 44 built front axle, and a locker in the rear. Next up is the LS swap. I'll have to dig out pics, don't have any on my phone. We drag it behind the motor home most of the time. 35" on the stock axle will work but you will need to re-gear it. Before we did the gear swap, it wouldn't hold over drive on the freeway, its an automatic.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
They are amazing. JK or JL. We have a JL now, but loved our JK as well. All of the comments regarding heat, and air and dust vs the SxS are accurate. One downside, at the end of a long day out with our friends and their SxSs half the gang wants to ride home with us!

With air pressure down to 18ish, the Jeeps are faster than you think. Every time we pull up to the gang for a beer stop someone says "man, you got here way quicker than I thought you would." Annnnndddddd, I tow home broken SxSs. Maybe that's another downside...

My ranger crew northstar has a full enclosed cab with heat and AC. I get absolutely zero dust and it is street legal. Obviously it will not perform like a sport sxs but it’ll go 90 percent of where any jeep will go, Besides extreme rock crawling and deep mud bogging.

I also have a fully built, caged, long arm v8 ZJ and it hasn’t moved since we bought the ranger northstar.

Had a half dozen different jeeps over the years. They used to be fun.....maybe i’m getting old but in my situation i’m over the jeep thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My ranger crew northstar has a full enclosed cab with heat and AC. I get absolutely zero dust and it is street legal. Obviously it will not perform like a sport sxs but it’ll go 90 percent of where any jeep will go, Besides extreme rock crawling and deep mud bogging.

I also have a fully built, caged, long arm v8 ZJ and it hasn’t moved since we bought the ranger northstar.

Had a half dozen different jeeps over the years. They used to be fun.....maybe i’m getting old but in my situation i’m over the jeep thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I had my way I would have an enclosed Ranger Crew or General. But the wife said if we get a sxs it has to haul ass.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I’m sorry but comparing a Jeep to SxS is like comparing a Model A Truck to a Raptor. Yeah there both going to get you from Point A to Point B. The difference is the smile on your faces when you arrive, lol 😂

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
As was said before, rent one and drive it around. I rented one for a weekend road trip, and while it was great off road, I wouldn’t want to DD it or drive it over long distances.

If you aren’t rock crawling, I’d be looking at a 4-runner, GX470, or if you want to spend a little more money like I did...GX460. If you are rock crawling, a stock rubicon is legit.

Attachments

• 0350A6CD-A4B4-4369-BFF8-D2A2F4FDE8AF.jpeg
    0350A6CD-A4B4-4369-BFF8-D2A2F4FDE8AF.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 92

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
As was said before, rent one and drive it around. I rented one for a weekend road trip, and while it was great off road, I wouldn’t want to DD it or drive it over long distances.
I'll agree with this except the JL. Waaaaayyy more comfortable on road than our JK. I never wanted a Jeep, wife put her foot down.... We got the JK, and I fell in love with it, and now we have a JL and it definitely has better road manners. We both want a SxS for hauling ass, but I could live without it.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I'll agree with this except the JL. Waaaaayyy more comfortable on road than our JK. I never wanted a Jeep, wife put her foot down.... We got the JK, and I fell in love with it, and now we have a JL and it definitely has better road manners. We both want a SxS for hauling ass, but I could live without it.
Fair. My rental was a 4 door JK, so things may have changed. I don’t think the OP is getting a JL in his price range though....

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well it sounds like Jeeps are horrible. That can’t be driven on pavement. The axles break, they need regeared the heads crack. They can’t support a rooftop tent.

Don’t sound like fun to me.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Well it sounds like Jeeps are horrible. That can’t be driven on pavement. The axles break, they need regeared the heads crack. They can’t support a rooftop tent.

Don’t sound like fun to me.
You forgot to add, they have mini van engines. ;)

CLdrinker

Reaction score
The internet is Hilarious.
I was all jacked up ready to go buy a Jeep and enjoy the outdoors with my family.
Come here for some guidance so I don’t accidentally buy a pile of shit.
Now you have me convinced buying a Jeep will be the biggest financial mistake of my life.

According to the opinions here I must have a sxs for When my friends go SxS rides. A Jeep with 1ton axles kings and a v8 for Jeep rides. And a Cadillac for my 2 days of commuting.

Guess we will be staying home.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well I got the opportunity to take out my cousins 4 seat can am MaxRR for a weekend in Mammoth.
Hopefully it fits in my Toyhauler.

Anybody going to be in Mammoth 3-19 /3-22?

Taboma

Reaction score
Well I got the opportunity to take out my cousins 4 seat can am MaxRR for a weekend in Mammoth.
Hopefully it fits in my Toyhauler.

Anybody going to be in Mammoth 3-19 /3-22?

Oh just wait, the RZR group will drop in any minute and terrify you with how many things you're likely to break on your cousin's Can Am while borrowing it. 😂
Front end will surely break, I've heard they're weak. ;) The only worse place to get an opinion on any vehicle, is the vehicle's dedicated forum. But then my wife gets really pissed whenever I look up anything medical on the internet as well. She loves it when I rush in and tell her that twinge in my side is a sure sign of terminal cancer. :eek:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Oh just wait, the RZR group will drop in any minute and terrify you with how many things you're likely to break on your cousin's Can Am while borrowing it. 😂
Front end will surely break, I've heard they're weak. ;) The only worse place to get an opinion on any vehicle, is the vehicle's dedicated forum. But then my wife gets really pissed whenever I look up anything medical on the internet as well. She loves it when I rush in and tell her that twinge in my side is a sure sign of terminal cancer. :eek:
I better buy a gusset kit, roll cage and a stage 500 evo tune with full bore wazoo or it’s waste of time lol

Taboma

Reaction score
I better buy a gusset kit, roll cage and a stage 500 evo tune with full bore wazoo or it’s waste of time lol

Imagine the anxiety and daily terror I'm living with having driven a 3.5 Eco-Boom in two different trucks since 2012' and not suffered a single problem. :eek:
It's OK, nobody else believes me either. 😂

Singleton

Reaction score
I was all jacked up ready to go buy a Jeep and enjoy the outdoors with my family.
Now you have me convinced buying a Jeep will be the biggest financial mistake of my life.

According to the opinions here I must have a sxs for When my friends go SxS rides. A Jeep with 1ton axles kings and a v8 for Jeep rides. And a Cadillac for my 2 days of commuting.

Sounds about right.
But you are forgetting a F650 to you your boat and ToyHauler :)

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Hey all...looking online and seeing a ton of Unlimited Sport models with a few Sahara's mixed in. They all seem to have 3.21 rear axle ratios. Any advice on those packages, axle ratios, etc.

Thanks in advance!

zhandfull

Reaction score
Hey all...looking online and seeing a ton of Unlimited Sport models with a few Sahara's mixed in. They all seem to have 3.21 rear axle ratios. Any advice on those packages, axle ratios, etc.

Thanks in advance!
My Sport had the 3:21 gears with Rubicon wheels and tires when I bought it. Added 35’s later and drove with stock gears for four or five months. Ended up changing gears out to 4:88 and very happy with them. Should also be good if I ever go to 37’s.
E2216C7E-A4F2-43C6-91F6-F43B7A1FE986.jpeg
2B51F0A1-64F7-4B9B-8B35-5C4221AB8AA4.jpeg

Last edited:

zhandfull

Reaction score
31’s and I think you would be fine with the 3:21 gears. 35’s are fine with stock gears for awhile but you should regear at some point.

I think it was about $2,500 to $3,000 for new gears and Eaton Limited Slip diffs front and rear installed.

The Rubicon with 4:10’s would probably be fine with 35’s. The 3:73 options on non Rubicon is pretty rare and hard to find

Last edited:

JD D05

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Are you going to run large tires?

JD D05

Reaction score
31’s and I think you would be fine with the 3:21 gears. 35’s are fine with stock gears for awhile but you should regear at some point.

The Rubicon with 4:10’s would probably be fine with 35’s.

My dad has 35's with 4:10's and it is ok, by just a little.

Last edited:

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
I am looking for a Jeep for my daughter to drive and then we'll tow it behind our motorhome. Nothing too extreme in regards to off-roading so we will probably won't be going to crazy on larger tires, etc. As long as I can get up and down some trails when hunting and fishing I will be happy.

Is the Sport a Sahara package?

zhandfull

Reaction score
I think the Sahara typically has painted top and/or fenders, upgraded leather seats, touch screen radio/nav, and power accessories.

My sport has the power accessories, cruise control and cloth seats that I like.

JD D05

Reaction score
I am looking for a Jeep for my daughter to drive and then we'll tow it behind our motorhome. Nothing too extreme in regards to off-roading so we will probably won't be going to crazy on larger tires, etc. As long as I can get up and down some trails when hunting and fishing I will be happy.

Is the Sport a Sahara package?

It's actually pretty confusing all the models etc. Max tow is a really good upgrade but only comes on the Rubicon and Sport from what I hear. Just get on the website and build them out, assuming you want new.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
As someone said in a thread i started

"just my 2 cents and NO REFUNDS!!"

Rubicon for sure, you may think you don,t want/need it now. Kinda like thinking your boats sound system goes just fine with that 375hp BBC--until!!!

You get front and rear 44s with selectable lockers and the 4:1 case. Add a nice plate front bumper with a winch and you are well on your way to a back country trail/expo dealio!

The front 44 is at its limit in the front with stock shafts and a locker with 35s IMO, I personally would not run 35s without spare front axles or better yet step up to chromos or 300M(37s if smart) and keep the stocks as spares.

You will get yourself dropped in a hole, bound up needing to have the wheel turned hard lock with the locker on and there will be no warning just "SNAP" and you spend the next couple hours tearing it apart to repair.

35s could benefit from a re gear for the highway but wont really bite you until you are climbing, then you will notice it.

DLC

Reaction score
these are my jeeps-

Silver is a 2012 4 door rubi 37’s 513 gears auto trans has kings and bump stops
white 2005 2 door rubi 35’s 488 gears 6 speed manual flexes really good and fun to drive, 3 link Frt, triangled rear. 4L

they are totally different rigs, 2005 is in havasu and the 2012 I use as a prius zip around town car

4265F41D-D586-4369-B33D-631138FC2382.jpeg
75F6974F-6B72-470F-AC55-39DAF89CC38E.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
My Sport had the 3:21 gears with Rubicon wheels and tires when I bought it. Added 35’s later and drove with stock gears for four or five months. Ended up changing gears out to 4:88 and very happy with them. Should also be good if I ever go to 37’s.
View attachment 977381 View attachment 977380

With those LEDs mounted in that location (Which I've seen done, not just yours, so why I'm asking) don't you get a lot of glare reflection off the hood ?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
these are my jeeps-

Silver is a 2012 4 door rubi 37’s 513 gears auto trans has kings and bump stops
white 2005 2 door rubi 35’s 488 gears 6 speed manual flexes really good and fun to drive, 3 link Frt, triangled rear. 4L

they are totally different rigs, 2005 is in havasu and the 2012 I use as a prius zip around town car

View attachment 977386 View attachment 977387

Is this the first For Sale post?

gqchris

Reaction score
not yet.... I need to kick tires and stand on the skinny peddle when that 392 is released !!

my local dealer keeps calling me and asking me to drop by, but they don’t have one yet...
Both of your Jeeps are bad ass sir. Would love to own either one of them!

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
Are the "mechanics" of the Sport and Sahara basically the same?

the sport is a medium outfitted jeep, not much creature comfort mire of an all weather type.

sahara is/was the luxury model in years past - painted fenders, heated seats more insulation quite ride and not a full blown off roader type

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
My dad has 35's with 4:10's and it is ok, by just a little.
The Rubicon with 4:10’s would probably be fine with 35’s. The 3:73 options on non Rubicon is pretty rare and hard to find

I have a 2016 rubicon with factory 4:10 gearing on "35"s... and it runs on the street and hwy really good at about 14-15 mpg. BUT here's what a Toyo 35 measures straight across (unweighted spare) ... 33.5 inches. My computer is calibrated on a 33.5 inch tires but my wallet and ego paid for a "35".

tires1.jpg
tires2.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
I have a 2016 rubicon with factory 4:10 gearing on "35"s... and it runs on the street and hwy really good at about 14-15 mpg. BUT here's what a Toyo 35 measures straight across (unweighted spare) ... 33.5 inches. My computer is calibrated on a 33.5 inch tires but my wallet and ego paid for a "35".

View attachment 977521 View attachment 977522

Yet Toyo web site has it listed as " Inflated Diameter 34.8 " 🤔

CLdrinker

Reaction score
The wife brought it up again today. We should get a Jeep instead of a SxS.

Taboma

Reaction score
The wife brought it up again today. We should get a Jeep instead of a SxS.

The only time recently my wife had us looking at Jeeps as an alternative to our SxS was after the RZR left us stranded in the wilderness twice. She felt the Jeep would be more comfy and safe from big kitties if we had to sleep over in the wilds of Arizona. She makes a good point, but we're giving the SxS one more try with a different brand -- finger's crossed. 🤞

zhandfull

Reaction score
With those LEDs mounted in that location (Which I've seen done, not just yours, so why I'm asking) don't you get a lot of glare reflection off the hood ?
They were on the Jeep when I bought it. Just some cheap LED’s but they actually work ok and don’t have any glare off the hood like might be expected.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Jeeps are awesome. Just know you aren't going to be hauling ass down the desert trails keeping up with the new SxS's without doing so serious upgrades to the suspension and drivetrain. Two different animals.

Came very close to buying a JK recently. What I found was 15 and up were the way to go due to some engine mods. Might only be a Commifornia thing, not sure.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Jeeps are awesome. Just know you aren't going to be hauling ass down the desert trails keeping up with the new SxS's without doing so serious upgrades to the suspension and drivetrain. Two different animals.

Came very close to buying a JK recently. What I found was 15 and up were the way to go due to some engine mods. Might only be a Commifornia thing, not sure.
Not expecting to haul ass. Just want to get out and see new things.
Just need something reliable and be able to get over minor obstacles. We will mostly be out alone.
Unless we make new Jeep friends lol

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Not expecting to haul ass. Just want to get out and see new things.
Just need something reliable and be able to get over minor obstacles. We will mostly be out alone.
Unless we make new Jeep friends lol
Tons of groups out there to wheel with. I'm still very partial to Jeeps, Broncos, Blazers... etc. The SxS thing is cool, but seems far more raider nation than my liking 😂 If you need a family wagon, don't cut out the older Blazers or Full Sized Broncos.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Tons of groups out there to wheel with. I'm still very partial to Jeeps, Broncos, Blazers... etc. The SxS thing is cool, but seems far more raider nation than my liking 😂 If you need a family wagon, don't cut out the older Blazers or Full Sized Broncos.
I want some thing my wife can drive on the highway while I tow the toy hauler.
But we all know keeps can’t be driven on the freeway lol

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Anything special about the hard rock edition?

Wife likes this one I don’t like the price tag.

what happened to the 25k budget lol
22675F65-B9FB-47BE-BFD7-0D6E973081BC.png

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Any Rubicon has the 4.10s and heavier front axle. Also the lockers front and rear, and the front sway bar disconnect. I believe the Hard Rock adds rock rails and the steel bumpers plus a cool hood, but that hood looks like a stock Rubicon. How many miles?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Any Rubicon has the 4.10s and heavier front axle. Also the lockers front and rear, and the front sway bar disconnect. I believe the Hard Rock adds rock rails and the steel bumpers plus a cool hood, but that hood looks like a stock Rubicon. How many miles?
Almost 70k

JD D05

Reaction score

Wife likes this one I don’t like the price tag.

what happened to the 25k budget lol View attachment 978050

I totally understand a budget. But I really think if you do this something like that would be better. I love mine but it's stupid how much fun shit you can put on then.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I want some thing my wife can drive on the highway while I tow the toy hauler.
But we all know keeps can’t be driven on the freeway lol
Lol.. The Jeeps that can't keep up are the ones where they think it's a good idea to run 35 or bigger tires without gearing. Even the 4:10's that come in the rubi's are pushing it with 35's. My budget was under 25. You can find them, but they will have close to if not over 100k miles on them. If you are willing to go back to the first JK's then you can get a ton of jeep for just under 20K.

I'm holding out for one of the new Bronco's with the Sasquatch package. They will be the JK's competition. And yeah, it will probably be in the 40's if not 50's unless I can find a used one that is not too beat down after a couple years.