WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School Me On Maui

DMF

Reaction score
The wife and I are gonna go to Maui next year the week of Thanksgiving. What are must things to do while there? Is there places to stay on the beach?
Thanks in advance!
Dennis

golakers

Reaction score
Sarentos for your Thanksgiving dinner in Wailea.
monkey pod
kimos
leilanis barefoot bar for fish tacos
miso phat for sushi

LB247XS

Reaction score
KIMOS for sure and for killer breakfast the Aloha Mix Plate in Lahaina and the Gazebo restaurant up in napili Bay.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We has a great time in August. Stayed in Kaanapali for the first time in August. It is a nice place with beaches like Waikiki but 20% of the crowd. It was much better than Kehei. If you want to blow the bank you can head to Wailea. Kapalua is great if you want to golf but kind of limited as to things to do.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Stay in kannapali area.

Check out Lahaina town.

Wakamo donut shop.

Rock sunset ceremony.

Road to Hana.

Take the at your own pace early am sunrise tour where you watch the sunrise atop haliakala then ride bike down.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Already off to some good suggestions. If there is anything like Haleakala or seven sacred pools or the black sand beach in Hana you will need reservations. Besure to do it early as it is limited and you can’t just arrive that day. That being said we had a great time on the road to Hana and in Hana without any reservations.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Make your reservation for Mamas Fish House now.

You are going to need to make reservations for the popular restaurants at least a week in advance.

Make reservations for the Black Sand Beach before you get there.

Rent a jeep and after you do the road to Hana, take the back way home. Make sure you get most of the way back before sunset. Get a time slot at the aforementioned beach that allows you to do so.

There are some nice free empty beaches along the road to Lahaina.

Make your first stop after arrival at Costco, and get some Poki, it’s right by the airport. There’s a big group of food trucks there too, in the same general area.

Decide if you want to see sunrise or sunset on the volcano, and if you do, make your reservations early. Otherwise, head up mid-day when it’s not as busy- and you might want a jacket.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Kihei Cafe for breakfast!

X100 on the Road to Hana. Do the entire loop. It’s like another world out there.

Reactions: DBO

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
We’ve had good times renting a condo at Puamana just outside of Lahaina. We ate one meal out a day and cooked the others at home. Luau at the Hyatt was good.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
The wife and I are gonna go to Maui next year the week of Thanksgiving. What are must things to do while there? Is there places to stay on the beach?
Thanks in advance!
Dennis
We rented a mustang convertible, and drove around the perimeter of the island.

We stayed in Lahaina area.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many good recommendations here! Stay in the Kaanapali area. Rent a convertible but make it a Jeep. Don't give two s#its about where you can't drive it. If you ride, rent a Harley for at least one day and ride for sunrise in Kihei and then to Paia Bay Coffee Bar. Riding through the sugar cane fields smells amazing! Be sure to wear eye protection because the bugs in the face are no joke!

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Already off to some good suggestions. If there is anything like Haleakala or seven sacred pools or the black sand beach in Hana you will need reservations. Besure to do it early as it is limited and you can’t just arrive that day. That being said we had a great time on the road to Hana and in Hana without any reservations.
Is this something new? I did the road to Hana with a night stay in Hana. I stopped off at Black sand beach coming in to town with no reservations. I went the rest of the way around the island with a stop at the 7 sacred pools with no reservations. This was back in 2013.

PRIMO

Reaction score
Old Lahaina Luau....😎

Rated Top Luau in Hawaii Overall / Usually will sell out a month in advance !

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Is this something new? I did the road to Hana with a night stay in Hana. I stopped off at Black sand beach coming in to town with no reservations. I went the rest of the way around the island with a stop at the 7 sacred pools with no reservations. This was back in 2013.
Yes, it has been installed in the last year to limit the amount of people and congestion. Black sand for sure. not 100% on the others but worth checking into to be sure you get to see the attractions.

Morehart

Reaction score
Stay at Napili Kai.
They have a decent restaurant, the sea house.
Nice beach.
Honaloa bay has great surf/ snorkeling
It's just up the road.
The road to Hana is a long one, be prepared for it to take up an entire day with only stopping at half the view points.
Mama's fish house on the other side of the island for the freshest fish

pkbullet

Reaction score
When we traveled with the kids, the Grand Wailea was our go to. My wife and daughter loved the spa. The last two trips stayed and the Andaz in Wailea. Nice walk down the beach with a mimosa to Sarento's for breakfast. Favorite restaurant is the Lahaina Grill. I second the Monkey Pod, won't drink a mai tai any here else now. Nice thing about Wailea is you will never loose a day to weather. Nick's Fishhouse is another favorite and most everything in the Four Seasons is good, although Spago's was subpar last visit. I have a different opinion on Mama's, best part is the view and drinks. I was never impressed with the food.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
The top of Fleetwoods for dinner !
FOrgot about that. The wife has wanted to do this for years. If you don’t have reservations get there a half hour before it opens. Grab a seat at the roof top bar and it is as good as it gets. 👍

Reactions: EPL

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Agree with staying in Ka’anapali.

Both the Hyatt & Westin are nice. If able, go ocean front. They tried to give us ocean VIEW~ a sliver of ocean and mostly parking lot and roof top. Uh no, not what I paid for. Told bell boy, don’t bother unloading. 1 call & moved to middle of hotel overlooking the 5 pools & full ocean view.

Another tip we got ~ call helicopter 🚁 tour company day of to see if they have seats to fill. We flew for 1/3rd the price and got an extra long ride as the other folks were being picked up in Hilo.

Again, my dad’s vacation advice ~

Figure out how much money you’re going to take and what you’re going to pack. Then take twice as much money and pack half as much.

“Mrs.”

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Another tip we got ~ call helicopter 🚁 tour company day of to see if they have seats to fill. We flew for 1/3rd the price and got an extra long ride as the other folks were being picked up in Hilo.
You could not pay me to ever get on a helicopter tour in HI. Hell the one that crashed in Kailua a few years ago happened like maybe 200 yards in front of us. At least 2 commercial tour helicopters crash in HI every year.....yea the odds are you'll be fine...but I'm not looking to the the sucker in the seat when it does happen. I did it one time back in college on a date...that was fun, but I'd never do it today lol.

DMF

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the recommendations. We will start with these on our research. Please, keep them coming.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
If you dislike the big resorts, crowds and 1 mile hikes to the beach or pool like me, check out Honokeana Cove. It’s next to Napili Kai. No beach but epic snorkeling. Pool is steps away from the ocean. Quiet, laid back. Food trucks about 10 minutes away. Ate from them daily. https://honokeana.net/condos/
B4D00446-03D8-4995-9917-45214505CFAC.jpeg

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
If its your first time maybe stay in Kaanapali. Just know that Kaanapali is a large resort area packed with hotels, restaurants, condos and shopping. If you stay there, check out the Westin or the Sheraton. You are not able to swim on most of the beaches in that area due to crazy strong currents. You can swim near the Sheraton.

We prefer Kapalua followed by Wailea. In or near Kapalua we like the Montage $$$$$ or the Napili Kai. There are many nice condos in that area also. Good snorkeling nearby and less crowds.

In Wailea which is the dry part of the island we like the Kea Lani $$$$. We have stayed at the Grand Wailea before. Its a huge Vegas style resort. We did not think the service matched the cost.

Rappelmaui.com imho is the best small group activity to be had on the island. You will need a certain level of fitness but its worth the cost. Unreal views, small group and challenging experiences. Check out their website.

That bike ride down the volcano is popular but there are many serious accidents related to that activity. If you are good riding a bike downhill at 20-30mph while dodging other tourists and cars, go for it. We road bike often but did not care for this tour.

Our favorite restaurants are in no particular order:

Merriman's. $$$$
Lahaina Grill $$$$
Mamas Fish House $$$$

Fish Market Maui for super casual meals $$. fishmarketmaui.com

There are a number of chain restaurants but why?

Visit Maui Brewing near Kihei

If you like to snorkel, make sure to check in daily with the snorkel shop to determine where to go on that day. Wind and currents change where the best snorkeling will be on any given day.

PRIMO

Reaction score
Buy some Booties as you will run into some coral around the island...... Also do not swim early morning or at dusk (you will see the signs posted) Best to do so at noon / never at night with a full moon ! ( Tiger Sharks) 😎

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
friend just returned...
said Aloha Mixed plate closed...

I hope they return..

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
Make your reservation for Mamas Fish House now.

You are going to need to make reservations for the popular restaurants at least a week in advance.

Make reservations for the Black Sand Beach before you get there.

Rent a jeep and after you do the road to Hana, take the back way home. Make sure you get most of the way back before sunset. Get a time slot at the aforementioned beach that allows you to do so.

There are some nice free empty beaches along the road to Lahaina.

Make your first stop after arrival at Costco, and get some Poki, it’s right by the airport. There’s a big group of food trucks there too, in the same general area.

Decide if you want to see sunrise or sunset on the volcano, and if you do, make your reservations early. Otherwise, head up mid-day when it’s not as busy- and you might want a jacket.
Mama of Mamas fish house past away. Daughter took it over and stopped buying fish from the locals. She let the main cooks go and I believe she buys frozen fish now. That place is waaaay over priced.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
we always stay at the "whaler" in Kaanapali, ocean front is right on the beach, with water front restaurants/bars just a walk down the beach and snorkeling at black rock is just a strole up the beach, catamaran snorkel trips and sunset dinner cruises, parasailing trips right off the beach, quick drive to Lahina

Backroad to hana in a jeep is a must do
Circumvent lania in a hard bottom inflatable like ocean riders is a fun day
Maui aquarium has some nice informative exhibits
808 grinds, small hole in the wall NOT FANCY at all, or Kihei cafe, qucik service, for breakfast around Lahina
Slappy Cakes for breakfast, just because they only have one in Maui and one in Portland
Kimos of Long Island lunches in Lahina
Cool Cat for lunch, drinks on front street Lahina
Fleetwoods roof top in Lahina
Mamas fish house is the number one place for dinner-reserve well in advance
Merrymans for sunset was mentioned
HuiHui is a newer restaurant right next door
Son'z Steak house at The hyatt regency just 1 mile down the beach
Lelanis, Hula Grill, Monkey pod for lunch and happy hour in easy walking distance on the water
Sea House for breakfast in napili
Gazebo in Kapalua

IMG_6898.JPG
293270779_1463949770713063_7541018168704294550_n.jpg
IMG_6778.JPG
IMG_7092.JPG
IMG_7076.JPG

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
No crowds, bars or restaurants for this traveler. Experience Hawaii without the mainland culture.
D5A937B0-369E-4075-AE18-7A243DC5ED8D.jpeg
66AA8AD2-BA28-4E03-A335-AFB7A7745485.jpeg
B1EEA81E-6D7F-4B58-9FF7-17A229A254DA.jpeg
59D43DDF-0374-4D8B-997D-4AD8A85B8F93.jpeg
BD04D30B-15FF-4E37-A33F-00A77F2C79C1.jpeg

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Kihei Cafe for breakfast!

X100 on the Road to Hana. Do the entire loop. It’s like another world out there.
Good tips.
Kihei Cafe was a great find for local food.
My adds would be to do road to Hana backward. Drive to the end where the best spots are and work your way back to town. Most people who drive the standard way get frustrated with the crowd/traffic about halfway in and never make it to the pools.

Depending on available time, take an island hopper flight to Oahu to see Pearl Harbor. You can make it a day trip if necessary.

On a different note, two other things to consider. Take a bike ride tour down Haleakala after watching the sunrise at the top. It’s an early tour and can get pretty chilly at the top of the crater so dress accordingly.

You also might pick up the current version of Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook by Andrew Doughty, available on Amazon or any book store. It is filled with excellent tips, discounts and was critical for our first trip to the island.

golakers

Reaction score
Forgot. 808 deli in WaiLea for your flight home

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Good tips.
Kihei Cafe was a great find for local food.
My adds would be to do road to Hana backward. Drive to the end where the best spots are and work your way back to town. Most people who drive the standard way get frustrated with the crowd/traffic about halfway in and never make it to the pools.

Depending on available time, take an island hopper flight to Oahu to see Pearl Harbor. You can make it a day trip if necessary.

On a different note, two other things to consider. Take a bike ride tour down Haleakala after watching the sunrise at the top. It’s an early tour and can get pretty chilly at the top of the crater so dress accordingly.

You also might pick up the current version of Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook by Andrew Doughty, available on Amazon or any book store. It is filled with excellent tips, discounts and was critical for our first trip to the island.
Yes, Maui Revealed is an absolute must! It gives an honest opinion and very specific details on just about everything. 👍

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
David Ige killed over 40% of local restaurants with his actions. Lots of my childhood haunts are gone
First stop, Costco for all the alcoholic beverages, king crab legs and lobster tail, lots of water and a couple pizzas to go to munch on in the morning. Second stop, Maui Built clothing for a couple board shorts. 3rd stop used to be Da Kitchen in Kahului right outside the airport but it closed and the other in Kihei, both gone. So if we're hungry we'll hit Marcos Grill & Deli right outside the airport on Hana & Dairy also right out of the airport. They closed Tokyo Tei during the whole pandemic but came back under new ownership. This was our go to place for excellent Tempura. Haven't tried the place since new ownership took over. 4th stop, Foodland Farms in Lahaina across the street from Safeway they have a Baseball cut beef. 5th stop, Takimiya Market in Happy Valley for some short ribs to bbq. Wife and I never go to the big box restaurants, we always search out the local places for the island food. Sea House Restaurant in Napili Bay. They have a prime rib special I believe on Tuesday, make reservations. We'll go to Kimo's, Leilani's or Hula Grill only for the Volcano Pie. We were there in April, half the shops in Lahaina are gone, the place used to have a crowd of people on both sides of the street, no more. SAD state of affairs, locals still struggling.

Reactions: DWC

Englewood

Reaction score
I may be in the minority here but the drive to Hana was painful. I will never do that again. I prefer the ocean views up past Kaanapali.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I may be in the minority here but the drive to Hana was painful. I will never do that again. I prefer the ocean views up past Kaanapali.
Have you tried the backway from the other end? Much more adventursome

v6toy4x

Reaction score
First stop, Costco for all the alcoholic beverages, king crab legs and lobster tail, lots of water and a couple pizzas to go to munch on in the morning. Second stop, Maui Built clothing for a couple board shorts. 3rd stop used to be Da Kitchen in Kahului right outside the airport but it closed and the other in Kihei, both gone. So if we're hungry we'll hit Marcos Grill & Deli right outside the airport on Hana & Dairy also right out of the airport. They closed Tokyo Tei during the whole pandemic but came back under new ownership. This was our go to place for excellent Tempura. Haven't tried the place since new ownership took over. 4th stop, Foodland Farms in Lahaina across the street from Safeway they have a Baseball cut beef. 5th stop, Takimiya Market in Happy Valley for some short ribs to bbq. Wife and I never go to the big box restaurants, we always search out the local places for the island food. Sea House Restaurant in Napili Bay. They have a prime rib special I believe on Tuesday, make reservations. We'll go to Kimo's, Leilani's or Hula Grill only for the Volcano Pie. We were there in April, half the shops in Lahaina are gone, the place used to have a crowd of people on both sides of the street, no more. SAD state of affairs, locals still struggling.
We were there in July, front street is definitely, slower, still enjoyed cocktails, views and food. I did get a front row parking spot at Kimos, that was nice!

We do costco, wally world, then grab food at Leodas, we have done Marcos, used to do the Ribs from Azekas in kihei, but havent been there in several years, I am adding Takimiya Market to the must dos for next year. Sea house for breakfast for us, need to add the prime rib dinner deal to the list.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Mamas Fish house for sure
Road to Hana is nice but not life changing.... and you'll blow a day doing it. Save it for another trip.....

Very true. But being born and raised on Oahu I never did it as well as Haleakala. It was a bucket list that I needed to do. Wife and I did it on an extended vacation celebrating our 30th anniversary. It does certainly kills a considerable amount of time. I would only do it if that is how you want to spend the time. It is not fast pace but the views are amazing if you like that kind of stuff.

69CD969D-EF2F-45D5-B586-8F35E0A98726.jpeg
40F8CCFB-41E7-4DF0-9402-C21568DD5EC3.jpeg
26526F17-6D73-489B-A963-3F44FF5C7B3E.jpeg
4FC8EE4F-DCCE-48BE-A3A3-AE487A6C4A71.jpeg
C40A8584-9E45-4A1C-869B-147A8DAC956A.jpeg
0E1A8F84-1577-4E14-B223-4EFFF09A1A78.jpeg
6E53EFF6-6515-4D44-969F-135FD42C4F60.jpeg
6604804D-AF36-42E9-B866-039C2587DBD1.jpeg

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Road to Hana is nice but not life changing.... and you'll blow a day doing it. Save it for another trip.....

If this is going to be the only trip to Maui, I would definitely not skip the road to Hana, so much to do and see...Hana Lava Tube, Wailua Falls, Hana Town, Lindberhgs Grave, etc...then stopping at 7 sacred pools...to me, its a must do if you are only visiting Maui once in a lifetime...

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is snorkling/snuba/scuba diving at Molokini....that was a lot of fun and lots of underwater life out there.

We prefer to stay in a condo in Kannapali rather then a resort, as mentioned above, stop at Costco and stock up the fridge as going out to eat breakfast lunch and dinner gets VERY expensive.

Talk to the locals, we got VERY lucky one year while eating lunch at a cafe in Lahaina, our server was a local and was really cool, we were asking him what was the most authentic luau in the area as we had never been to one...he said none of the touristy ones are authentic and he actually invited us to a real one his family was having a few days later free of charge as a guest of his...so my wife and I took him up on it, and it was such an amazing experience and his family was so gracious to us...its an experience that will beat every other Hawaii experience I have ever had

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I spent 2 days doing it and don't regret it one bit. We went all the way around. We read all the warnings about how bad the road could get and did it anyway. Ended up laughing our asses off at the end as the road was in far better shape than many of the ones I traverse daily in the sunshine state.

schweeng

Reaction score
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is snorkling/snuba/scuba diving at Molokini....that was a lot of fun and lots of underwater life out there.
Yes!!! Did this in '18.... great trip. Boat takes you to sea caves and the captains of these boats get right on up there in the big surf...then to Molokini for a few hrs of snorkling...then to turtle bay to check out turtles.... great trip.... it books out in Kihei..... awesome town... like Hunting Beach of Maui

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
To add. If you want to do snorkling there is a smaller tour that uses inflatable style boats with large outboards that zips you around molokai and hits some great spots. I think there was a max of 12 on board so it wasn't a cattle boat. Boat hauled ass to so an added thrill

daytona man

Reaction score
I don't know what you really like to do but unless you are bored and have nothing better to do the road to Hana is a big cluster and biggest waste of a day I ever had on Maui !

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Do the helicopter ride. Gives a nice view of the entire island. We want to do the road to Hana when we go back in the future. We didnt do that when we were there last time.