WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Moab

c_land

Reaction score
We are headed to Moad for 5 days in mid March with the family. We are hauling out the SXS to do some offroading. We will be staying at the Red Cliffs Lodge, which is just a short distance outside of town from what I found.

No one in our group has ever been. We are going primarily to go offroading, so I'm looking for the must see things as far as that goes. I'm good with using Lead Nav so any where to get GPX files would be awesome info. Also looking for must see places around the area, we would like to get the full experience.

I have heard the town is really friendly to SXS as far as trvel goes. Will we be able to drive on the streets to get to our trail heads?

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
5 days is not enough to get "the full experience". i've been going the last three years for one week each year and still have not seen it all or even close. each year we camp in a different general area. this year we're camping by the river just west of town. we go for the single track and the gnar and then some scenic for the wives. so with a sxs the desired trails and routes will differ. there's lots of good info on line though if you search. if it doesn't have a plate you cant legally drive through town at all although I hear if you're not being a dick head LEO kinda looks the other way. I have not confirmed that.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
We are headed to Moad for 5 days in mid March with the family. We are hauling out the SXS to do some offroading. We will be staying at the Red Cliffs Lodge, which is just a short distance outside of town from what I found.

No one in our group has ever been. We are going primarily to go offroading, so I'm looking for the must see things as far as that goes. I'm good with using Lead Nav so any where to get GPX files would be awesome info. Also looking for must see places around the area, we would like to get the full experience.

I have heard the town is really friendly to SXS as far as trvel goes. Will we be able to drive on the streets to get to our trail heads?
Mt Biking is epic.

dawnpatrol

Reaction score
Moab is a great place.

My recommendation: Buy a (Charles Wells) trail book and search the trails that appeal to you and your rigs capabilities. Very well worth the money.
Have fun and be safe..

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
No problems at all. As friendly a SxS town as you will ever find. Even a few lanes on the streets set aside for them.

Eddie McStiffs was a fun bar. Smokin' hot bartenders last we visited.

We liked Pasta Jays.
I forget what we ordered but it was really good:
348s.jpg

You can get a UTAH OHV sticker just about anyplace.
It's slow moving trails.
The NGS trail guide is 14+ years behind the times. Some areas added, some expanded, some renamed, some confusing to figure out.

Wife loves rock crawling and we take the trails both directions for more challenge unless marked not to.

Note white guidance dot on trails:
0v1PY98.jpg

UCsKfGJ.jpg

River Runnin

Reaction score
Doubt you can do lions back, (if still open) Schaffer is a good roll, and to many others I can't remember! Arches & Canyon lands of course!

2Driver

Reaction score
Red cliffs is awesome been there twice. You are kind of locked in there for food etc but town is only 20 minutes away. The scenery at the resort is unbelievable.
The red rock four wheelers website has a great description of each trail, they put on the Easter Jeep safari. We were awe struck with Hey Joe canyon. It’s a cool ride if you go all the way back to the mine.
Tons to do and sitting out on the restaurant patios in town and watching vehicles is almost as fun as driving. Mt biking is awesome if you ride, you can rent.

EE6C66CE-305E-4B4B-ABC7-DF67A5485E3D.jpeg
BAF92D62-A61E-4B77-BEDD-9BEA93B18062.jpeg

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Mid March means be prepared for all seasons, it'll be 75 and sunny one day, blizzard the next.

Red Rock country gets in your blood, you'll have ball.

Joe mama

Reaction score
No problems at all. As friendly a SxS town as you will ever find. Even a few lanes on the streets set aside for them.

Eddie McStiffs was a fun bar. Smokin' hot bartenders last we visited.

We liked Pasta Jays.
I forget what we ordered but it was really good:
348s.jpg

You can get a UTAH OHV sticker just about anyplace.
It's slow moving trails.
The NGS trail guide is 14+ years behind the times. Some areas added, some expanded, some renamed, some confusing to figure out.

Wife loves rock crawling and we take the trails both directions for more challenge unless marked not to.

Note white guidance dot on trails:
0v1PY98.jpg

UCsKfGJ.jpg
Is it just the red cliff you can ride to trails from or can you ride from other hotels around town?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Is it just the red cliff you can ride to trails from or can you ride from other hotels around town?
As far as we experienced you can ride to anyplace from anyplace. Even the girl that owns the KOA said she's never heard of anyone being hassled.

prorider

Reaction score
Lions-back has been closed for years. Hells revenge is right there and a must do trail that has lots of obstacles that are tough. Hot tub and escaltor are fun.

mswasey

Reaction score
Drive nice and LEO will let it slide.
Gotta eat at Moab Brewery.
Fins n things Trail is a great trail to for some slickrock, Sand, and some obstacles. There are so many great trails and sights, like others have stated, get a trail book and pick a few depending if you want more or less technical. Here are a few of my favorites with some technical adventure and all are filled with beautiful scenery.
Fins n things
Hells Revenge
Gemini Bridges
Gold Bar Rim
Metal Masher
Behind the Rocks

2Driver

Reaction score
White Rim Trail is totally incredible. A must do

Second that, it’s a 100 miles though and you need advance camp permits if not doing it all in one day. We slept out by the green river on our trip. The camping overnight was half the fun. Shit, I need to go back. Neighbors did it on Mt bikes :0.

TBulger

Reaction score
Best to have the SXS road licensed, they will get you in and around town.

c_land

Reaction score
Thanks for the info boys. Just ordered a trail book and I’m researching the recommendations here right now

81Sprint

Reaction score
i was gonna go for easter jeep safari, but basically got laughed at trying to get an rv spot a month ago at any campground. guess that shit books out a bit lol. I wanna go pretty bad so trying to find an off weekend to get a spot.

DLC

Reaction score
Ive Only jeep‘d Moab (no sxs) and one thing we had to do is to give it a Moab Bump, this is a slight roll ( a little momentum) into the obstacle not sure if you need to do it in a sxs but you’ll have to play with it. Some of the Little Rock ledges /steps your tires will just spin but with A little roll into it the tire grabs and pops you up and over.
in my jeep I was running 8psi with bead locks

hells revenge
and
fins and things

are great starters, it’s like 4xing on sand paper and the angles and climbs are just awesome .

we would video the trail and go back to the condo and watch the days ride while cooking dinner and having a few beers

have fun

mswasey

Reaction score
Bronco is Rock Chucker Hill (optional) on Metal Masher. I prefer to crawl wherever possible, although as DLC said, a little judicious throttle is necessary occasionally. Moab red rock is addictive, you’ll be hooked for sure. The trails I listed above will get you out in each direction from Moab, you can explore from each. Forgot to mention Poison Spider, that’s a good trail too.
1582033484722.png

1582033587915.jpeg

1582033663514.jpeg

1582033703673.png

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
It's a great destination for hang gliding.

7230006034_3cf02cdc08_o - Edited.jpg
81553974_560362571177442_8551916838575931392_o.jpg
7230011042_5cd7c9d411_o.jpg
55df2e368e25e.image.jpg