WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on solar

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Couldn't you just run the 10 4 wire to wherever you want your EV charger to be installed? My home built in the 60s was a Medallion Home (all electric accept for the water heater). When I swapped out the appliances to gas years ago I had a free 50 amp breaker. I ran 10 4 wire from my panel in the backyard to my garage where I installed a 15-40 plug.
from the article...

"Now ConnectDER will exclusively manufacture and supply a proprietary plug-in EV charger adapter to Siemens.

The new adapter will enable electric car owners to charge their EVs by connecting chargers directly through the meter socket, which is on every home. It provides more useable capacity by monitoring total load and controlling the EV circuit to ensure the total capacity rating is within the limit."

So essentially its an adapter to bypass everything for their charger...issue will be where is the meter located, and how far the cable will go. While it will help some specific cases...I don't see it being some game changing tech.. We sell a ton of chargers etc..I just don't see it being a big hit except for on button meter type homes

Taboma

Reaction score
Couldn't you just run the 10 4 wire to wherever you want your EV charger to be installed? My home built in the 60s was a Medallion Home (all electric accept for the water heater). When I swapped out the appliances to gas years ago I had a free 50 amp breaker. I ran 10 4 wire from my panel in the backyard to my garage where I installed a 15-40 plug.
You've got a 50 amp breaker protecting # 10 wire ? How did you come to the conclusion that # 10 wire was rated to carry 50 amps ? It's not.

# 10 copper building wire, especially a 10/4 configuration should have nothing larger than a 30 Amp breaker protecting it. Then on top of that, one should consider the distance of the run and potential voltage drop, that could limit that same # 10/4 to 20 amp protection.

As an electrician (Retired), I personally wouldn't use less than # 6 copper to serve a 50 amp receptacle, and when I installed an RV one 100' away from the main, I used pvc conduit underground with # 2 copper to mitigate any potential for voltage drop.

Do keep in mind, the wire tables are based on allowable conductor temperatures for various types of insulation. They do not account for voltage drop and personally since 75 degree C is 167 degrees F --- I don't want any of my conductors running anywhere near 167 degrees should they be sustaining a near full load.

Good luck 👍 🤞

Not So Fast

Reaction score
We just signed with Havasu Solar, hope it was a good move. Ive been folowing the Lake Mead and Powell water debacle and it dont look good at all for power supplies, in fact its pretty dismal and I think power companys will be upping thier rates steadily, I may be wrong but I dont think so.
Our house is small to medium size, 1700sq ft and built in 2002 so I hope its adequately insulated, seems to be as our power bills are from $150 winter to $ 260 summer time, its just me and the wife but we live here year round and keep the pad about 80'.
We did a 25 year lease at $165@ mo with no money up front, hoping Im not getting screwed with the first 18 months at $110, 30 panels.
If you read about whats happening in the southwest as far as weather patterns it aint good unless you like a lot of sun which solar does so hopefully I made a good choice, we'll see :rolleyes:
NSF

brecht

Reaction score
We just signed with Havasu Solar, hope it was a good move. Ive been folowing the Lake Mead and Powell water debacle and it dont look good at all for power supplies, in fact its pretty dismal and I think power companys will be upping thier rates steadily, I may be wrong but I dont think so.
Our house is small to medium size, 1700sq ft and built in 2002 so I hope its adequately insulated, seems to be as our power bills are from $150 winter to $ 260 summer time, its just me and the wife but we live here year round and keep the pad about 80'.
We did a 25 year lease at $165@ mo with no money up front, hoping Im not getting screwed with the first 18 months at $110, 30 panels.
If you read about whats happening in the southwest as far as weather patterns it aint good unless you like a lot of sun which solar does so hopefully I made a good choice, we'll see :rolleyes:
NSF

The lease part never made sense to me. You signed up for a 25 year $165 electric bill which is awesome but if you bought you could just have a $0 electric bill? Especially if you pay it off early. That was the incentive for us - pay it like a car note and you're free and clear in 5/7 years

Track Man

Reaction score
I’m sorry but I would never go with the lease system.. A lot of those companies are rip offs. I live totally off grid with batteries. Just bought my new battery Bank. Three discover Lithium ion batteries was $18,000. in the winter time I have to run the propane generator to charge the batteries on short cloudy days. Propane equals more money. I tell people if you live on a grid just pay the bill it’s easier.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
NSF
Randy runs a good ship..and has a good group working for him. You are in good hands. I'm not a fan of leases, but if you don't qualify for the tax credits its a good way to go. I know he offers out to a 25 year finance option too which based on the numbers you posted you may have?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Other question is the condition of your roof. Putting a new solar system on a 20 year old roof could be an issue in the not so distant future.
Any reputable solar contractor won't install on a roof at the end of its lifespan...not that some won't...but they shouldn't. R&R on a reroof goes for around .50/w on asphalt FYI

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
The lease part never made sense to me. You signed up for a 25 year $165 electric bill which is awesome but if you bought you could just have a $0 electric bill? Especially if you pay it off early. That was the incentive for us - pay it like a car note and you're free and clear in 5/7 years
It sounds like he did financing based on the numbers...I don't know of any leases with tiered payments. Especially with the 18mo which is typical true up time on tax credits.

For what it's worth VERY FEW solar loans are kept in excess of 8 years, and the lower the interest rate you see, the higher the dealer fee paid to the lender was.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
You've got a 50 amp breaker protecting # 10 wire ? How did you come to the conclusion that # 10 wire was rated to carry 50 amps ? It's not.

# 10 copper building wire, especially a 10/4 configuration should have nothing larger than a 30 Amp breaker protecting it. Then on top of that, one should consider the distance of the run and potential voltage drop, that could limit that same # 10/4 to 20 amp protection.

As an electrician (Retired), I personally wouldn't use less than # 6 copper to serve a 50 amp receptacle, and when I installed an RV one 100' away from the main, I used pvc conduit underground with # 2 copper to mitigate any potential for voltage drop.

Do keep in mind, the wire tables are based on allowable conductor temperatures for various types of insulation. They do not account for voltage drop and personally since 75 degree C is 167 degrees F --- I don't want any of my conductors running anywhere near 167 degrees should they be sustaining a near full load.

Good luck 👍 🤞

Thanks for the info. I just checked the wire. Its 6/4 wire. "CAROL 6/4 S00W 90C P-7K 123033 MADE IN USA." Probably a 60 foot run. Nothing is plugged into it yet. I just wired it in hopes of being able to plug in a level 2 charger at some point should I ever get an EV. Or have the ability to plug in a visiting RV.

Looks like 48 feet max run

Last edited:

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
NSF
Did you get multiple quotes? Mohave Solar or others comparable on price and options?

Taboma

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just checked the wire. Its 6/4 wire. "CAROL 6/4 500W 90C P-7K 123033 MADE IN USA." Probably a 60 foot run. Nothing is plugged into it yet. I just wired it in hopes of being able to plug in a level 2 charger at some point should I ever get an EV. Or have the ability to plug in a visiting RV.

Looks like 48 feet max run
You sir are good to go 👍👍

I only ran such large conductors to my RV and Office shed for two reasons. We were planning on living in the large 5th wheel for three years while we built the house, so I had another 50 Amp circuit in the same large UG conduit for my temporary office shed --- so with that many conductors sharing a conduit, there's a derating factor in play.
# 2 Reason, being a contractor I just happened to have several reels left over from a previous job. 😁

That meter adaptor being discussed above will not be universally acceptable by many, if not the majority of utility providers and local building departments.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
You sir are good to go 👍👍

I only ran such large conductors to my RV and Office shed for two reasons. We were planning on living in the large 5th wheel for three years while we built the house, so I had another 50 Amp circuit in the same large UG conduit for my temporary office shed --- so with that many conductors sharing a conduit, there's a derating factor in play.
# 2 Reason, being a contractor I just happened to have several reels left over from a previous job. 😁

That meter adaptor being discussed above will not be universally acceptable by many, if not the majority of utility providers and local building departments.

Excellent information and not to long of a post that I got bored with it and stopped reading 😁

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Admittedly I went into this blindly, so I hope I didnt step on my wienie :oops: Havasu Solar seemed like an upstanding place to do biz with as Ive heard not so kind stories of the other ones in town, especailly the Phoenix based operations>
I just turned 80 so I wont be here much longer to see how it comes out 🙁
But in my defense I think it wise to open your eyes to the fact that power is going to be a probllem in the So. Wesr because of the water situation at the major dams on the Colorado, its a very dire situation indeed that wont go away or be solved in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peace
NSF

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Admittedly I went into this blindly, so I hope I didnt step on my wienie :oops: Havasu Solar seemed like an upstanding place to do biz with as Ive heard not so kind stories of the other ones in town, especailly the Phoenix based operations>
I just turned 80 so I wont be here much longer to see how it comes out 🙁
But in my defense I think it wise to open your eyes to the fact that power is going to be a probllem in the So. Wesr because of the water situation at the major dams on the Colorado, its a very dire situation indeed that wont go away or be solved in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peace
NSF
If you just turned 80, I think your decisions in life in general have been fairly sound. At least you are looking to the future. I'm 45, and it seems most people I deal with seem to only want a tax credit, or lower their existing bill. I see there may be a time where utility bills become so outrageous, that solar may be the only way to afford the comforts we have now. It's better to be a step ahead, than a step behind.

CSmith

Reaction score
Without doing any of my own leg work and I'm to lazy to read through the 3 pages of this thread. Let's say I have a 1300 Sq ft house and 1300 sq ft garage. Everything is electric. Keep my garage and house at 74 and kick the master bedroom mini split down to 70 at night. With a pool. To have a system purchased out right anyone have a ballpark?
Just curious. I just dont know if a solar system would be 10k or 30k or ++++? Thanks for any input!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Without doing any of my own leg work and I'm to lazy to read through the 3 pages of this thread. Let's say I have a 1300 Sq ft house and 1300 sq ft garage. Everything is electric. Keep my garage and house at 74 and kick the master bedroom mini split down to 70 at night. With a pool. To have a system purchased out right anyone have a ballpark?
Just curious. I just dont know if a solar system would be 10k or 30k or ++++? Thanks for any input!
Your house size is irrelevant...your kWh usage is all that matters.

Not So Fast

Reaction score
One important factor when considering solar is where you LIVE, in fact for me it's one of the most important, we have abundant sunshine here in Havasu where as some locals have very little or at least limited solar. I maybe wrong thou but that seems logical
Peace
NSF

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
I walked twice from lease deals. Recently as last week with Tesla. My wife spent alotta time on phone with sales guy. Went as far final signature. All sounded good except for bottom line questions not anwered. We were guaranteed $200 power bill every month. 36 panels on our roof seemed like one hell number. I understand all the panels on my roof will be making money for Tesla i admire the lease concept these companies have come up with instead of acres and acres of panels out in the desert. Ok how solid is Tesla deal with Edison,seems constant changes and deadlines regarding Tiers,credits etc.
I remember like yesterday giant circumference satillite dishes in back yards now reduced to what they are now. i think these solar panels will be obsolete especially in 120 degree heat.Tesla is capable of anything far as developing new and smaller panels.
I will stop here,solar is awesome, but too many un answered questions for me because at 77 years of age i will find another way to save a few bucks.

Taboma

Reaction score
One important factor when considering solar is where you LIVE, in fact for me it's one of the most important, we have abundant sunshine here in Havasu where as some locals have very little or at least limited solar. I maybe wrong thou but that seems logical
Peace
NSF
Where you live also affects performance and solar cell lifespan. Extreme heat degrades performance (Lower output) and can shorten the expected panel lifespan.
Other factors such as fewer or less attractive rebates and lower utility power costs haven't provided the incentives compared to So Cal as one example.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I feel like the discussions on getting good info/service with Solar are very similar to the Timeshare ownership threads.

DanG

Reaction score
Recently signed with Havasu Solar on a new system. I recommend Solar and here is my experience.

First system purchased in 2014 Southern CA.
Average monthly bill from Edison was $282.
7.4 Kw System (29 - 250W Panels)
Cost before rebate $32k
Monthly cost on 12 year loan after rebate was $189 month so a savings of nearly $100 per month for 12 years and then electricity would be free, in theory.

New System with Havasu Solar
13.3 Kw System (33 - 400W Panels)
Cost before rebate $33k

I tried to get bids from Mohave Solar and SunPower (Esmay) but they took too long to return calls, etc. I did compare to another Havasu friends recent solar cost for a company out of Phoenix and they paid $38k for a 12 Kw system. Between that and the fact that I paid nearly the same for a 7.4 Kw system 8 years ago, I was comfortable with the Havasu Solar bid and signed the deal to get things moving.

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Recently signed with Havasu Solar on a new system. I recommend Solar and here is my experience.

First system purchased in 2014 Southern CA.
Average monthly bill from Edison was $282.
7.4 Kw System (29 - 250W Panels)
Cost before rebate $32k
Monthly cost on 12 year loan after rebate was $189 month so a savings of nearly $100 per month for 12 years and then electricity would be free, in theory.

New System with Havasu Solar
13.3 Kw System (33 - 400W Panels)
Cost before rebate $33k

I tried to get bids from Mohave Solar and SunPower (Esmay) but they took too long to return calls, etc. I did compare to another Havasu friends recent solar cost for a company out of Phoenix and they paid $38k for a 12 Kw system. Between that and the fact that I paid nearly the same for a 7.4 Kw system 8 years ago, I was comfortable with the Havasu Solar bid and signed the deal to get things moving.
Good to hear bro !!!
NSF

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Solar Power World: CPUC releases new NEM 3.0 proposal almost one year after the first.

Glad I am grandfathered NEM 1.0.

NEM 3.0 is not as bad as it could have been if it passes.

The California Solar & Storage Assn. estimated that new solar customers would be paid a base rate of 5 cents per kilowatt-hour of electricity that they don’t use at home, sending it to the larger power grid — down from as much as 30 cents now.

But in a change likely to benefit the rooftop solar industry, new solar customers wouldn’t have to pay an $8-per-kilowatt monthly fee that was part of the previous proposal — a charge that would have amounted to $48 per month, or $576 per year, for a home with a six-kilowatt system.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Solar Power World: CPUC releases new NEM 3.0 proposal almost one year after the first.

Glad I am grandfathered NEM 1.0.

NEM 3.0 is not as bad as it could have been if it passes.

The California Solar & Storage Assn. estimated that new solar customers would be paid a base rate of 5 cents per kilowatt-hour of electricity that they don’t use at home, sending it to the larger power grid — down from as much as 30 cents now.

But in a change likely to benefit the rooftop solar industry, new solar customers wouldn’t have to pay an $8-per-kilowatt monthly fee that was part of the previous proposal — a charge that would have amounted to $48 per month, or $576 per year, for a home with a six-kilowatt system.
If this passes it will still cripple the industry in CA.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I just signed for a 14.3kw system in nor cal.
Our buddy Biden did do a solid for solar by increasing the fed credit to 30% and extending it thru 2032.

I am pushing to beat the NEM 3.0 change, should have time there is at least a 120 day waiting period on implementation I think?

"The NEM 2.0 Sunset Period begins with adoption of this decision, which is expected to happen in December. Customers submitting a completed interconnection application prior to the end of the Sunset Period will be considered applicable for the current NEM 2.0 tariff. According to the decision text, the commission will implement the NEM 2.0 tariff sunset marking the end of the Sunset Period no later than 120 days after the adoption of this decision, at which time no additional customers will be permitted to take service under the NEM 2.0 tariff."

Oversized for future car charging and cooling of future shop space.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I just signed for a 14.3kw system in nor cal.
Our buddy Biden did do a solid for solar by increasing the fed credit to 30% and extending it thru 2032.

I am pushing to beat the NEM 3.0 change, should have time there is at least a 120 day waiting period on implementation I think?

"The NEM 2.0 Sunset Period begins with adoption of this decision, which is expected to happen in December. Customers submitting a completed interconnection application prior to the end of the Sunset Period will be considered applicable for the current NEM 2.0 tariff. According to the decision text, the commission will implement the NEM 2.0 tariff sunset marking the end of the Sunset Period no later than 120 days after the adoption of this decision, at which time no additional customers will be permitted to take service under the NEM 2.0 tariff."

Oversized for future car charging and cooling of future shop space.

Good luck. I hope you make NEM 2.0!

TCHB

Reaction score
To the point….It’s not a free market period!
If you let the market make the rules as fossil fuel is naturally depleted the price will go up to hundreds per barrel and then solar will make all the sense in the world.
This also assumes the Wackos don’t allow Nuclear plant expansion.
As for global warming fossil fuel or no fossil fuel the earth has been warming and cooling since the beginning of time so get over it Green New Deal maniacs.
One last point on global warming, if the U.S. stoped all use of fossil fuel today it would have zero effect as China, India and most other countries would continue using.
Only the free market will dictate successful future technologies.
In a free open market Nuclear would never get on line due to extremely high capital cost and O&M costs. Start up and shut downs are also very slow compared to a new natural gas plant. Not sure if we will every get to a open market based on $MWh.

TCHB

Reaction score
My solar system so far has been great. Coming up on two years now my Ebills have been $13 per month and I have $301 credit in my account.

Justfishing

Reaction score
Once again... The OP can't really figure out his ROI on others example as the odds of him getting his system before Net Metering 3.0 come out is slim.

"Assuming the CPUC moves forward with the utility company’s recommendations, your grid benefits charge will be a monthly fee based on the size of your installed system, ranging anywhere from $7 to $11 per kW per month depending on your utility company. To put that into perspective, the average quoted system size in California on the EnergySage Marketplace is about 8.2 kW – for a system this large, you would need to pay an extra $57 to $90 on your utility bill each month, or $700 to $1000 per year (!!) for the right to have solar."

This will kill solar in California. Hopefully this doesn't happen and the pressure to go green in this state will stop it. Not to mention that they also want to change giving you retail credit for the kWh you push back during the month to wholesale.
Why should a utility pay retail for your electricity?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Why should a utility pay retail for your electricity?
They probably shouldn't and they don't when they net you out at the end of your yearly bill cycle. The 3 cents a kWh they give me on my excess when they net my bill out means that SCE made a bit of money off of my over production.

I realize that SCE is in the business to make money by delivering electricity to me. NEM 1.0 is way too generous but do I feel bad when SCE rate per kWh is amoung the highest in the nation? No. I also don't think it was right for the 1st NEM 3 proposal to shave 5 years off of my NEM 1.0 20 year agreement. Glad they dropped the change.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Quick question to those doing solar installations - can solar panels be assembled in series strings to produce an "interesting" level of voltage? I'd like to get up to +200-250Vdc. Thanks

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Quick question to those doing solar installations - can solar panels be assembled in series strings to produce an "interesting" level of voltage? I'd like to get up to +200-250Vdc. Thanks
I have micro inverters and they put out 220 ac straight to the panel. Don’t know about panel string to 1 big inverter, learning that now with my rv sysrem.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
THX,

Just heard from my "guy" NEM 2.0 sunset to be may 29 2023, he says no problem, thank god!

Voting for the proposal is set for December 15th, with an April 15th, 2023, date set for implementation should it pass.

The Verge: California is revisiting proposed solar incentives that make panels expensive to operate.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Simple answer is yes...some string inverters accept up to 600v input. More complicated answer...you need to know what you are doing as you can get hurt very very fast otherwise.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Simple answer is yes...some string inverters accept up to 600v input. More complicated answer...you need to know what you are doing as you can get hurt very very fast otherwise.
Thanks!

We're developing a series of higher power (12.5 - 100kW) "hybrid inverters" for an application outside the residential/commercial marketplace and was thinking about placing a couple into service at our two Havasu homes. These are direct-coupled split and three phase systems, the ones intended for lower voltage US installation would want the 200-250Vdc string voltages. So many of the Lithium batteries are limited to 48Vdc and I was afraid I could be stuck with the same restriction with the solar panels.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Thanks!

We're developing a series of higher power (12.5 - 100kW) "hybrid inverters" for an application outside the residential/commercial marketplace and was thinking about placing a couple into service at our two Havasu homes. These are direct-coupled split and three phase systems, the ones intended for lower voltage US installation would want the 200-250Vdc string voltages. So many of the Lithium batteries are limited to 48Vdc and I was afraid I could be stuck with the same restriction with the solar panels.
That setup should help that railgun you are building generate muzzle velocities in excess of 20,000fps.
Break neighbor's windows with the sonic boom and atmospheric ignition

I think you are asking a basic V x I question, though, rather than a battery limitation itself. Batteries really need only be evaluated according to their internal resistance, where if you try to put too much current through them, they heat up, maybe overheat, become damaged, or ... melt.

What do you mean "hybrid inverter"... like, um, not PWM? some kind of linear/PWM hybrid? Great Big Oil Capacitor? I mean, it sounds like you know what you want, and it sounds like a challenge, so...are you safe?

Last edited:
Reactions: Maw

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
That setup should help that railgun you are building generate muzzle velocities in excess of 20,000fps.
Break neighbor's windows with the sonic boom and atmospheric ignition

I think you are asking a basic V x I question, though, rather than a battery limitation itself. Batteries really need only be evaluated according to their internal resistance, where if you try to put too much current through them, they heat up, maybe overheat, become damaged, or ... melt.

What do you mean "hybrid inverter"... like, um, not PWM? some kind of linear/PWM hybrid? Great Big Oil Capacitor? I mean, it sounds like you know what you want, and it sounds like a challenge, so...are you safe?
These are PWM at their heart, 20kHz but dithered, SiC, four quadrant capable depending upon the mode of operation, designed to work as a buffer between generators and the utility, direct coupled (transformerless), LiFePO4 battery stacks for storage.

The question was specific to the solar panels. I've been designing and manufacturing power conversion equipment for 40 years, but solar panels are something I only played with in high school 45 years ago. Hoping to find someone here with an intimate relationship with solar panels to bootstrap me.

Thanks

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
These are PWM at their heart, 20kHz but dithered, SiC, four quadrant capable depending upon the mode of operation, designed to work as a buffer between generators and the utility, direct coupled (transformerless), LiFePO4 battery stacks for storage.

The question was specific to the solar panels. I've been designing and manufacturing power conversion equipment for 40 years, but solar panels are something I only played with in high school 45 years ago. Hoping to find someone here with an intimate relationship with solar panels to bootstrap me.

Thanks
SiC FETs or bipolar? So I think its going to have a dead zone in the center of the op chart where the SiCs are nonconducting, correct? Assuming you will protect against multimode crossover between quadrants or into dead zone. So, since transformerless, must have some huge capacitance or tank somewhere to absorb ripple. Patented yet?

As far as solar panels, they are just sources for coulombs. Look at it that way. Like I said though, the commercially available stuff can only daisy chain as far as their commercially designed connectors can conduct. Mine are MC4 which are 0.5 ohm each are rated for 600v/30A max. --Max.-- Also, remember that max means at nominal temp, derated with rising temperature from environment AND from ohmic thermal effects.

YOU COULD snip them off and upgrade the whole shebang, but like any network, it is only as strong as its weakest point, and likely the panels' conduction traces and the cells themselves would then become vulnerable as the weakest links.

Last edited:

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Good morning, thanks again.

Making the transition, working with bipolar SiC hybrids right now but will switch to full SiC FETs once I'm confident of the driver circuits capabilities. I wasted a few FETs early on due to CMMR issues in the optos. A few companies out there aren't that honest with their product specs, imagine that. ;)

I'm using a couple of older (expired) patents of mine, think of Class D with AB properties where both polarities of a half-bridge maintain a minimum bias current (no crossover), then paralleled with like stages with a phase offset for ripple reduction (both supply and outputs). There is a fair amount of bulk capacitance in the system to keep the nasty stuff restricted to the core, I don't want to spread it around.

Maybe it's time to buy a few panels and dissect them. Whose would you suggest? 0.5 Ohms contact resistance, typo there?

Are you located in Southern California? Want to move any continuing discussion to PMs, emails or a phone call to avoid boring the rest of RDP to tears?

Cheers

Echo Lodge

Reaction score

Making the transition, working with bipolar SiC hybrids right now but will switch to full SiC FETs once I'm confident of the driver circuits capabilities. I wasted a few FETs early on due to CMMR issues in the optos. A few companies out there aren't that honest with their product specs, imagine that. ;)

I'm using a couple of older (expired) patents of mine, think of Class D with AB properties where both polarities of a half-bridge maintain a minimum bias current (no crossover), then paralleled with like stages with a phase offset for ripple reduction (both supply and outputs). There is a fair amount of bulk capacitance in the system to keep the nasty stuff restricted to the core, I don't want to spread it around.

Maybe it's time to buy a few panels and dissect them. Whose would you suggest? 0.5 Ohms contact resistance, typo there?

Are you located in Southern California? Want to move any continuing discussion to PMs, emails or a phone call to avoid boring the rest of RDP to tears?

Cheers

Funny, I was going to ask you guys to speak English!

Reactions: Maw

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score

Cheers
it does not matter what panel generates the electrons you are corralling. you are going to cannibalize the panels, so start with cheap ones.
and 0.5 ohm is correct for the MC4 specification. Since the typical ones are rated for 600v/20A, the dissipation across the connector would be 10watts at 20A, which seems small until you start derating for ambient temperature. Newer MC4 are rated for up to 1500V, but again they are small contacts so even if there is 1500V standoff, their current capacity is going to be low.
always be sure to use DC breakers ahead of your inverter, just in case.
PM is fine, if you'd like to relieve the thread from our sidebar.

sintax

Reaction score
Anyone have an official RDP contact @ palomar solar??

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
High wind - fire warning so we’ve been automatically changed over running on Edison Credits - the Powerwall is on standby.
App tells us everything going on.

If the power goes out then the Powerwall kicks in, as the sun rises then of course the solar cells kicks in.

Select circuits are isolated but nothing serious is locked out.
Can still charge the car!