WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on solar

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing solar on my house lately. Not a big house, 1800sqft, All of the appliances are newer and we have a newer AC unit as well. We definitely like to keep our house cold in the summer and the wife likes to run the heater in the winter. Our Electric bill just keeps going up so I figured I would ask here if solar is worth it. We live in OC. Any members have a company that does it? Whats the cost of it? Are the telsa (or any brand) Battery walls worth it? Any advice is appreciated!

hallett21

Reaction score
What’s an expensive electric bill? Gas or electric heater?

Pool equipment?

Electric or gas oven/stove?

JLG614

Reaction score
What’s an expensive electric bill? Gas or electric heater?

Pool equipment?

Electric or gas oven/stove?
During the winter its anywhere from 175-250, during the summer I'm starting to get up into the 300-400 range. I know its nothing crazy expensive but if solar is cheaper i guess why not lol

No pool but may be putting in a spa soon. gas stove. electric oven i think. electric heater i think

Done-it-again

Reaction score
During the winter its anywhere from 175-250, during the summer I'm starting to get up into the 300-400 range. I know its nothing crazy expensive but if solar is cheaper i guess why not lol

No pool but may be putting in a spa soon. gas stove. electric oven i think. electric heater i think
Take the last 2-3 years and add up all the totals and dived it by 24-36 this will give an average.

My average was $155 and I still did it and it has worked out pretty good. Price of electricity will keep going up.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. 1800' SF new build house. Not sure if the savings will be worth the install and having that shit on my roof.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
I own a Chemical Plant in Taiwan producing POCL3 vacuum applied to solar cells. So I know a bit about the subject. As I’ve said before when government incentives are involved be careful and hang on to your wallet.
Now if the cost of a kilowatt triples and you live where the sun is 360 days a year we have a winner.
I’m sure lots of folks disagree…Just one mans opinion.

Last edited:

JLG614

Reaction score
Take the last 2-3 years and add up all the totals and dived it by 24-36 this will give an average.

My average was $155 and I still did it and it has worked out pretty good. Price of electricity will keep going up.
So i just did the last two years and I'm averaging $240 per month so it might pencil out for me

Done-it-again

Reaction score
So i just did the last two years and I'm averaging $240 per month so it might pencil out for me
It's been about 5yrs with solar now. The rebate was better then, but in the end you have to pay anyways , its either a loan on the solar or the power company. I would rather pay everyone else beside the power company, so we added it...Now its paid and at the end of the 12 months I don't owe anything..... Sometimes I get money back, but i would rather make the house cooler than receive any $$$ back from the power company.

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
I had solar installed in 2017 when I purchased my current house in the IE. (2,900 sqft) House was built in 2004 so not the most efficient but not bad either. At the time, the gov was giving a $9,000 tax credit for new installations so that helped with the $30,000 system that we had installed. The first year Edison sent me a refund for about $50 since we produced more than we consumed. Second year, we owed about $60... Payment on the system is just under $200 so all good.
Then we built a pool and everything changed LOL! Now our electric bill went up to $1,000 for the year. SCE made a huge price hike the following year so it went up just over $2,000 for the year. The power companies are trying to raise rates again as well as charge solar customers a higher fee for our generation.
I would say it is worth it, just wish I was able to build my system bigger out of the gate rather than need to add more later. SCE only allows you to build a system that will provide something like 90% of your consumption. Batteries weren't really a thing in 17 but I would defiantly go with them if I were building a system today.
IMO:
Purchase, don't lease
Go as big as you can
Add batteries
Do it soon before the power companies make it even harder

The power companies are starting to push back on solar since CA requires it on all new construction homes. This is hitting SCE, PG&E, SDGE in their pockets and they don't like it. Kinda F-ed up how it is all starting to play out.

Mondorally

Reaction score
We’re in the beginning stages of adding solar using Palomar Solar per many of the recommendations on RDP. So far the process has been great, and I would recommend giving them a look.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
I had solar installed in 2017 when I purchased my current house in the IE. (2,900 sqft) House was built in 2004 so not the most efficient but not bad either. At the time, the gov was giving a $9,000 tax credit for new installations so that helped with the $30,000 system that we had installed. The first year Edison sent me a refund for about $50 since we produced more than we consumed. Second year, we owed about $60... Payment on the system is just under $200 so all good.
Then we built a pool and everything changed LOL! Now our electric bill went up to $1,000 for the year. SCE made a huge price hike the following year so it went up just over $2,000 for the year. The power companies are trying to raise rates again as well as charge solar customers a higher fee for our generation.
I would say it is worth it, just wish I was able to build my system bigger out of the gate rather than need to add more later. SCE only allows you to build a system that will provide something like 90% of your consumption. Batteries weren't really a thing in 17 but I would defiantly go with them if I were building a system today.
IMO:
Purchase, don't lease
Go as big as you can
Add batteries

The power companies are starting to push back on solar since CA requires it on all new construction homes. This is hitting SCE, PG&E, SDGE in their pockets and they don't like it. Kinda F-ed up how it is all starting to play out.
Yes the agency play games and change the policies even after the fact.

RVRKID

Reaction score
Only thing that pisses me off with solar is Edison is screwing us now, I used to get checks every year for producing more then used, this year nothing and I called and said where is my $500 refund that it shows after a year. After talking to numerous people and calling back a couple times I finally got someone that new that they are only buying back at $.03 a KW so I did have about $60 credit on my account but still not like the past years.

Xring01

Reaction score
There is some good info on this thread so far, there are a few misconceptions, and a few items that have false assumptions regarding the Utility’s…

Not all roofs are set up for Solar… or can handle the install, major consideration…

NEM - Net Energy Metering in CA… huge implications… NEM 3.0 will be announced in the near future. It could be very bad for future solar owners. Something you need to look into.

Batteries - yes, they can solve lots of problems, but they are truly expensive. If you can afford them, get them. Especially if you can use them to shave the Peak Time Of Use rates. Can severely impact the $$$ of your ROI/time.

Regardless of the Solar System you choose, if you dont install a Transfer Switch, you will still have power outages if the Utility lose’s power.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not all roofs are set up for Solar… or can handle the install, major consideration…
This is a major one from my point of view, having been a roofer in a previous life. Just make sure the installers and designers know what they are doing. Not only from a structural standpoint, but also water flow. Some of those guys won't just compound previous design shortcomings...they'll invent new ones.

boatpi

Reaction score
But three years ago we had her installed on our house that was only one year old at that time in Las Vegas and needless to say we have sun any air-conditioning probably seven months of the year.

We went oversized down the panels I could probably power a couple of houses I have four air conditioners and three pool pumps if they were all on it once. Our power supplier is envy energy who at the time give us a 6% rebate on the cost of the entire system which was about $35,000.

At that time there was a 28% federal tax credit now it’s 26% and then includes all of the support structure so if you’re not on the roof and you put on a patio shade structure that if solar goes on the roof of that.

I figured my bill you’re around would be about $350 here in Las Vegas were the 4000 square-foot house the beauty is our bills never been more than $10.53 a month for three years.

I got a massive federal tax credit plus the money back I figured that the worst case scenario net net at seven years it’s a push and I can keep from day one American machine at any temperature and be literally off the grid after seven years free.

Any any warm climate this absolutely makes sense so I’m talking the the inland Empire and beyond it really pencils out well.

badgas

Reaction score
I have been debaring this for a few years.

My winter/ spring bill is $250ish My bill today due in July is $475

Just getting started with my 4 months of HIGH SCE bills. 3,800 soft house with a pool spa and crappy windows 26 year old crappy windows and old style pool pump.

I figured that Solar, windows, variable speed pool pump, updated HVAC, solar attic fans will cost me $150,000+

I don't know how long I will live here so that is why I always hit the brakes.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
But three years ago we had her installed on our house that was only one year old at that time in Las Vegas and needless to say we have sun any air-conditioning probably seven months of the year.

We went oversized down the panels I could probably power a couple of houses I have four air conditioners and three pool pumps if they were all on it once. Our power supplier is envy energy who at the time give us a 6% rebate on the cost of the entire system which was about $35,000.

At that time there was a 28% federal tax credit now it’s 26% and then includes all of the support structure so if you’re not on the roof and you put on a patio shade structure that if solar goes on the roof of that.

I figured my bill you’re around would be about $350 here in Las Vegas were the 4000 square-foot house the beauty is our bills never been more than $10.53 a month for three years.

I got a massive federal tax credit plus the money back I figured that the worst case scenario net net at seven years it’s a push and I can keep from day one American machine at any temperature and be literally off the grid after seven years free.

Any any warm climate this absolutely makes sense so I’m talking the the inland Empire and beyond it really pencils out well.
Are you tracking the cell degradation over time, good thing you went big for the long run.
I don’t pay much attention to the retail end of the business but I was thinking Nevada quit buying residential surplus and in fact now has imposed a maintenance fee.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Number one it all depends on where you’re at. Where I am in Arizona, the utility reduces the cost of electricity as soon as you have Solar thereby reducing the pay back and return on your investment. They don’t want you to have Solar.

I’ve investigated Solar three times in the last time was the most viable as it became clear that not having a large system was the most economical way here with the local utility handling things the way they do. Plus as others have mentioned, the government - feds and locals, are reducing their tax incentives as every year.

Another issue is your roof. The roof on our house is good however it is 22 years old and needs to be replaced before I can put Solar on it - that’s a huge consideration - it’s a separate cost and they would need to be done together if I’m going to go with Solar.

As others have mentioned do not lease solar.

Hypnautic

Reaction score

What company did you use?
Anything you would/should have added to your system?

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
@JLG614 following this. Similar size house with a brand new AC and ducting, bills are roughly the same. Curious on what the ROI would end up being.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Did a 10kw system last year. My bill is neg every month. I have 8 tons of ac 4 in the house. 4 in the garage. A pool heater/chiller and never worry about running any of it.

In havasu

JFMFG

Reaction score
Josh we have solar on the new house it’s Tesla but no battery wall. We have had a negative bill every month since we moved in and our house is set to 70 all night and day.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Impossible for you to determine your ROI until Net Metering 3.0 is finalized. Google it and educate yourself.

The first proposal they wanted to change the exsisting agreement with folks like me on Net Metering 1.0 and folks on 2.0 as well.

Draft of 3.0 is supposed to come out in July and be decided on in August.

If ROI is favorable for your situation with 3.0 I would also highly recommended Palomar. My experience with them was great and system still works flawlessly.

TCHB

Reaction score
We bought our 7k Panasonic system 2 years ago. Our Ebills are $13.25 every month. We have a big pool and one 5 ton air conditioner. I paid $15k after rebates for our system. If we every sell this home I feel the solar system will add addition value to the house.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
I strongly recommend you understand who made the solar cells not the panel the cells.
Do Not buy anything made in China, Vietnam or Malaysia.
I have done technical consulting for solar cell factories listed and I can tell you horror stories.
Insist on Taiwan cells all the companies in Taiwan have real QC standards and tracking.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Depends on where you live. mostly.
we've had solar since 2003. Had to replace the original BP panels because of a recall. The recalled panels were 12 years old, and had notably deteriorated production. The recall reimbursement covered only about a quarter of the replacement cost of new panels, even though panel costs had dropped dramatically. Newer panels provide 40% more production in the same footprint, so the replacements provide alot of excess the originally engineered system was not specified for, even though it is compliant to NEC and local ordinance safety.

Knowing your locale would help.
(skip the next two paragraphs if you don't want to hear our story)
(skip)
Knowing your locale would enable inclusion of local policy that enables or denies the full/partial reimbursement for net energy production. Initailly, here in California, the energy companies had the luxury of not having to reimburse excess producers for their excess above their net consumption. Thus, up until 2020 any excess we produced went into their pockets. As it is, our system produces just about as much - now, with new panels - as we consume in a year, plus some 10-20% above that. In addition, we did not modernize the inverter, so changing to an MPPT would VASTLY improve our efficiency from the 70-80% it now delivers (overall - conduction loss, conversion loss, Tempco losses, etc).
(skip)
The excess used to be lost, but NEM 2.0 created a more friendly environment for excess producers. (we got a bill credit in April for $35 - not much but...). Our total bill for 5 years running, which comes once a year to us (November) has been less than $200. For the entire year...and that is only because we are not allowed to be reimbursed for certain taxes and indemnified costs of network improvements that we are charged by the utility.

here's our recent production, including A/C from 3pm to around 9, thermostat set at 75. positive (darker blue) lines are consumption, lighter blue, production. 12KWh for the day 'costs' us around a dollar...
solar.jpg

easily offset in spring and fall when everything is (mostly) light blue.
solar2.jpg

Our 12 month production (current) is a net 115kWh, which, at a (relatively high) provider cost of $0.07/kWh is a total of 115 x 0.07 = $8.05 for 12 months.
solar3.jpg

(analysis)
A simple costs analysis would take the PV/FV cost of money and amortize the system over it's expected life - generally 20 years before refurbishment is required. Most panels are required to guarantee their medallion production for 5 years, and are allowed a decline over 20 years to about 60%-80%. After that, there is no warranty.

Right now you are paying out - say - $3600-$4000 per year. Current HELOC rates are about 5%-7%, so the breakeven across 20 years can rationalize a spend of about $50-60k to purchase a system that zeroes out your outlay via net energy credits. This assumes the infrastructure is fully refurbished, which is an overestimate for sure...wires and conduit last much longer than 20 years.

(heres the excel PV formulas I used, in case you want to get more granular)
=PV(0.05/12,240,400)
=PV(0.07/12,240,400)

Last edited:

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Once again... The OP can't really figure out his ROI on others example as the odds of him getting his system before Net Metering 3.0 come out is slim.

"Assuming the CPUC moves forward with the utility company’s recommendations, your grid benefits charge will be a monthly fee based on the size of your installed system, ranging anywhere from $7 to $11 per kW per month depending on your utility company. To put that into perspective, the average quoted system size in California on the EnergySage Marketplace is about 8.2 kW – for a system this large, you would need to pay an extra $57 to $90 on your utility bill each month, or $700 to $1000 per year (!!) for the right to have solar."

This will kill solar in California. Hopefully this doesn't happen and the pressure to go green in this state will stop it. Not to mention that they also want to change giving you retail credit for the kWh you push back during the month to wholesale.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Wow, I sure missed this, been crazy busy. Thanks for all the kind words from our customers. Please send me a DM and I will have one of my team reach out to you. I personally will oversee all RD deals, and just fyi you get our base price, no BS. But you will also be told the absolute truth about what you are looking at.

a few notes...

-Time is of the essence; solar net metering is changing soon, when is not sure but soon. The next deal will not be as good as this deal. You will want to get in before the lock
- Deals signed now are honestly looking at September/October installs, and that is if your project is straight forward. Add a roof or main service panel change and we could be looking at end of year
- Tax credit goes down next year, deal breaker no, but 4% is 4%. You want it done this year, see bullet point above.
- prices are going up; labor, panels, batteries, inverters, balance of material, did I mention everything. Time is of the essence

Will someone scam you with BS about time or cost, sure. Get it done right using quality equipment.
Do not pay the procrastination tax.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Once again... The OP can't really figure out his ROI on others example as the odds of him getting his system before Net Metering 3.0 come out is slim.

"Assuming the CPUC moves forward with the utility company’s recommendations, your grid benefits charge will be a monthly fee based on the size of your installed system, ranging anywhere from $7 to $11 per kW per month depending on your utility company. To put that into perspective, the average quoted system size in California on the EnergySage Marketplace is about 8.2 kW – for a system this large, you would need to pay an extra $57 to $90 on your utility bill each month, or $700 to $1000 per year (!!) for the right to have solar."

This will kill solar in California. Hopefully this doesn't happen and the pressure to go green in this state will stop it. Not to mention that they also want to change giving you retail credit for the kWh you push back during the month to wholesale.
mostly agree, but I dont believe it will be as bad as the original proposal. But it will take 4 year returns back to 8 years in my best guess. See my last post, act this month if you want in before NEM 3 and to assure getting installed this year.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Wow, I sure missed this, been crazy busy. Thanks for all the kind words from our customers. Please send me a DM and I will have one of my team reach out to you. I personally will oversee all RD deals, and just fyi you get our base price, no BS. But you will also be told the absolute truth about what you are looking at.

a few notes...

-Time is of the essence; solar net metering is changing soon, when is not sure but soon. The next deal will not be as good as this deal. You will want to get in before the lock
- Deals signed now are honestly looking at September/October installs, and that is if your project is straight forward. Add a roof or main service panel change and we could be looking at end of year
- Tax credit goes down next year, deal breaker no, but 4% is 4%. You want it done this year, see bullet point above.
- prices are going up; labor, panels, batteries, inverters, balance of material, did I mention everything. Time is of the essence

Will someone scam you with BS about time or cost, sure. Get it done right using quality equipment.
Do not pay the procrastination tax.
If I remember right you don't do Havasu home do you? If that's the case can you recommend a good outfit here?

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
IMO:
Purchase, don't lease
Go as big as you can
Add batteries

Why does sce get to tell you how big a system you can have? It's your system not theirs. Your house, your property, your roof.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We went with a 9.5 Tesla system with a power wall.

I wanted two power walls but Tesla said run it first then decide. They can stack additional power walls in front of the first.
dab4f3b2-5ddc-43b2-864c-c54742768189-jpeg.1132548

AC9E5EFE-5782-4732-8742-1F1033F23F07.jpeg
F0B7D94A-66D5-47BC-95EF-B95AA5FD3FC5.jpeg

Over sized because we’re now charging a car and eventually a truck and often the RV is plugged in.

Wife is a day sleeper and home all day running utilities. A special needs child at home tallies up the electrical draw too.

It’s going to get more expensive so we jumped on it.

The Tesla got good reviews and a good warranty.

Complaints about various other brand systems from friends and neighbors were more about shoddy installation and start-up programming than the systems themselves.

Lots of calls to finally get their systems dialed in or installation screw-ups corrected. Frustrating for them went the tales as their elect bills still arrived in the mail.

My bitch about Tesla is it’s a faceless company. Lacks good communication with customers.

The crews will use any reason to pack up the job and leave. Reasons that Tesla didn’t tell the customers the criteria needed before the crews can start work.

I stayed a step ahead and was ready.

But on the positive side Teslas work is all in house parts and labor. No outside contractors.

Neighbors complain their solar companies used up to 8 different sub-contractors and complaints and problems were met with buck passing and finger pointing.

The Tesla artists pic of what the system will look like on the house made crankshaft manor look like a feature home in Architecture Digest.
It looks nothing at all like the pic.

I don’t care about money back from Edison we care more about night time credit when the Powerwall taps out.

I’ll be ordering an additional power wall.
We can regulate how much power we let the system feed back to Edison.

Right now between 9am and 8 PM we’re generating 3000 to 6000 extra watts of power and if Edison fucks us then I’ll simply block that.

Our home is paid for, we have a hint of a Prop 13 tax advantage and now no elect bill and one less car to fuel. Wifes Mazda 6 used about $125 of gas a week. EV6 charged at home.

We didn’t finance we bought the system. It will have paid for itself in under 5 years and that’s not counting the electric cars fuel savings. I’ll press that savings against the cost of the car.

The Tesla system has been flawless, amazing. The positive reviews are spot on.
Way exceeded our expectations.

Took a day to install and a few hours the next day to dial it in.https://www.riverdavesplace.com/for...3b2-5ddc-43b2-864c-c54742768189-jpeg.1132548/

Last edited:

RVRKID

Reaction score
Why does sce get to tell you how big a system you can have? It's your system not theirs. Your house, your property, your roof.
They don’t as far as I know, when I got mine I was using everything like I did and got a big system. I told my buddy run your air and everything else for a few months before the company comes out. My other friend wasn’t running his air that much and being a tight ass and his system is way to small.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Palomar installed 37 panels on my 2000sf single story house, 3 pool pumps. 0.0 electric bills. AC set at 69 24/7. Great choice 5 years ago.

E4L

Reaction score
We went with a 9.5 Tesla system with a power wall.

I wanted two power walls but Tesla said run it first then decide. They can stack additional power walls in front the first.

View attachment 1132127 View attachment 1132128 View attachment 1132129

Over sized because we’re now charging a car and eventually a truck and often the RV is plugged in.

Wife is a day sleeper and home all day running utilities. A special needs child at home tallies up the electrical draw too.

It’s going to get more expensive so we jumped on it.

The Tesla got good reviews and a good warranty.

Complaints about various other brand systems from friends and neighbors were more about shoddy installation and start-up programming than the systems themselves.

Lots of calls to finally get their systems dialed in or installation screw-ups corrected. Frustrating for them went the tales as their elect bills still arrived in the mail.

My bitch about Tesla is it’s a faceless company. Lacks good communication with customers.

The crews will use any reason to pack up the job and leave. Reasons that Tesla didn’t tell the customers the criteria needed before the crews can start work.

I stayed a step ahead and was ready.

But on the positive side Teslas work is all in house parts and labor. No outside contractors.

Neighbors complain their solar companies used up to 8 different sub-contractors and complaints and problems were met with buck passing and finger pointing.

The Tesla artists pic of what the system will look like on the house made crankshaft manor look like a feature home in Architecture Digest.
It looks nothing at all like the pic.

I don’t care about money back from Edison we care more about night time credit when the Powerwall taps out.

I’ll be ordering an additional power wall.
We can regulate how much power we let the system feed back to Edison.

Right now between 9am and 8 PM we’re generating 6000 extra watts of power and if Edison fucks us then I’ll simply block that.

Our home is paid for, we have a hint of a Prop 13 tax advantage and now no elect bill and one less car to fuel.

We didn’t finance we bought the system.

The Tesla system has been flawless, amazing. The positive reviews are spot on.
Way exceeded our expectations.
Very good to hear this. I’m getting ready to pull the plug on the Tesla unit myself. Where I live I heard two things the energy company takes what you make over and gives you nothing and I heard your not allowed to have the battery wall to bank it. We will see

J&k beer can

Reaction score
We did solar in 2015. We had companies that would not put up more the needed according to usage. They work with power companies at that time( not sure now)
You give them access to your bill and they go off that usage.. we said no we are adding jacuzzi and big patio with fans n tv so want more. 4 solar companies we not do the install. We paid cash(rdp style) and got what we wanted with the credit for unused power going back in system.. its paid its self back already. If they let the power companies pass that new net 3 bill we will go with batteries to store power and add more panels if needed..
P.s no matter what you do beg borrow steal money DO NOT lease it..

Reactions: TPC

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Very good to hear this. I’m getting ready to pull the plug on the Tesla unit myself. Where I live I heard two things the energy company takes what you make over and gives you nothing and I heard your not allowed to have the battery wall to bank it. We will see
Can you just add the battery bank after the sign off by whoever needs to sign completion? I was approved for 34 panels and am considering adding 6 or 8 more, nobody needs to know about.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
There it is right there.
Edison has a glut of power from solar homes is how the tales go. Damfino but that's what we hear.

I got the immediate feeling with TESLA they were very aware of Edisons shenanigans and were able to word and dance my system around the Edison hassle.

Edison doesn't want to get in a fight with TESLA because they clearly know who'll win that.

Edison is a much bigger hassle when it comes to them authorizing the gateway allowing the homeowner to send them excess power.
We're still months off from that last step. A simple OK,, and Edison doesn't make it easy.

The power companies own Gov Newsom and he's given them anything they want. French Laundry scandal; that wasn't Walmart lobbyists picking up the tab,, it was PG&E, Edison and SDG&E Lobbyists.

This morning I’d have 4200 watts of extra power to put into the grid but Edison hasn’t approved my “Gateway.” 5200 watts after noon.

6A0C57A4-C2D4-4EB7-8A69-F1E57EA980DD.png

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Believe it or not there are still coal fired electrical generating plants in Calif.

Private operators who want to switch to Natural Gas - Jet engine fired generation. Simply hit the start button and 11 minutes later ya got up to 410 megawatts of electricity flowing.

An average boiler steam generation plants takes from 1 to 3 days to get online.

Combined cycle at the mines means they also use the existing steam turbine and generator and it's really cheap electricity and eliminated 90% of water usage and pollution.

Power companies don't want it because they have to buy the excess power and they have Newsom on puppet strings who also, in addition wants no more Natural gas anything. That's a Bay Area Elite Marxist political platform plank.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Can you just add the battery bank after the sign off by whoever needs to sign completion? I was approved for 34 panels and am considering adding 6 or 8 more, nobody needs to know about.
From my recent research into solar stuff, there are some things you'll need to look into before doing that. Not from a "legal" point...not my expertise at all. From a hardware standpoint, the number of panels and wiring configurations determine your wattage and voltage into the inverter. You need to make sure your inverter will receive inputs within it's limits. The batteries are also things that need to be paired accordingly. Some of the solar companies won't sell their batteries to owners, only installers. Some of the inverters only "talk" to certain batteries. It can be done, just some homework needs to be done and things figured out first.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
From my recent research into solar stuff, there are some things you'll need to look into before doing that. Not from a "legal" point...not my expertise at all. From a hardware standpoint, the number of panels and wiring configurations determine your wattage and voltage into the inverter. You need to make sure your inverter will receive inputs within it's limits. The batteries are also things that need to be paired accordingly. Some of the solar companies won't sell their batteries to owners, only installers. Some of the inverters only "talk" to certain batteries. It can be done, just some homework needs to be done and things figured out first.
I have micro inverters and already built my whole system myself. Will probably need a bigger input breaker is all.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I have micro inverters and already built my whole system myself. Will probably need a bigger input breaker is all.
Don’t do this or you may wind up finding a padlock on your disconnect switch placed there by your utility locking it off.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I work in solar distribution and the vast majority of battery manufacturers will only sell the batteries if somebody was certified to install them and has been through their training program.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
To the point….It’s not a free market period!
If you let the market make the rules as fossil fuel is naturally depleted the price will go up to hundreds per barrel and then solar will make all the sense in the world.
This also assumes the Wackos don’t allow Nuclear plant expansion.
As for global warming fossil fuel or no fossil fuel the earth has been warming and cooling since the beginning of time so get over it Green New Deal maniacs.
One last point on global warming, if the U.S. stoped all use of fossil fuel today it would have zero effect as China, India and most other countries would continue using.
Only the free market will dictate successful future technologies.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Don’t do this or you may wind up finding a padlock on your disconnect switch placed there by your utility locking it off.
Why can't I change something I own? I am tried of someone else telling me what is allowed.