WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on SXSs, what should I be looking for

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Here’s the deal,
My family is young and I’m interested in finding a used 4 seat SXS. If I wanted to spend around 10+k is there an older SXS out there I should be l looking for, or conversely staying away from? I won’t finance toys, but should I be looking to spend more?

Not looking trying to go fast, looking for the best balance of performance and reliability. We’re desert folks, looking to be able to keep the kids entertained beyond riding their little dirt bikes around camp.

A5BD80D8-F937-4EDD-AD5B-5671FF8193FD.jpeg

lenmann

Reaction score
Not to derail your thread, but that pic in the first post is EPIC. I raised 3 daughters riding in the desert by winter and funnin' and sunnin' at the lakes during the summer.

They are grown up now doing their own thing and its just me and momma now. Seeing that pic reminded me how lucky I have been to be able to create those moments and experiences for my family.

Enjoy!

DLC

Reaction score
Be careful w/ 900’s do a compression / leak down test Prior to buying. They can suck dirt and eat oil due to bad air filter maintenance.

a friend of a friend had one and he would use a quart of oil a ride! Everyone would check the gas and he would check his oil level.....

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
IMO with what you've described, look for a well maintained 900 4 seater and spend your money on the shocks. If your budget allows, straight to Ed the suspension guy or Shock Therapy. Pick up something that already has a cage and creature comforts that fit you. There will be alot of nice cars for sale next year when the free money runs out and the Speed SxS is in full production.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I’ll be on the lookout for an xp4 900, and mind the maintenance and compression ratios.

What kind of hours or miles would be considered low, or high?

Ladsm

Reaction score
I still have my 900XP4 Jagged X model. Never had an issue, had Walker re-valve and re-spring the factory shocks and it runs and rides great. The motor makes great power and is lighter than the 1000s so HP to Weight ratio is pretty even. The issue with dirt ingestion is when people dont get the air filter seated properly and they suck dust. I just use grease or o-ring lube on the gasket around the air filter, install it correctly so its well seated and tighten the airbox up and the grease/lube seals it up nicely. Never had a dirt issue getting in the intakes.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Not to derail your thread, but that pic in the first post is EPIC. I raised 3 daughters riding in the desert by winter and funnin' and sunnin' at the lakes during the summer.

They are grown up now doing their own thing and its just me and momma now. Seeing that pic reminded me how lucky I have been to be able to create those moments and experiences for my family.

Enjoy!

Thanks, love it! It’s definitely all about the kids right now!

I think it’s important the kids see that we work hard but still take the time to play harder. Nothings free in life. Kids need to know there’s a time to work, and a time to play, You just need to know what time it is!

3C18D683-470A-4850-9217-8F9E43D46183.jpeg

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Can anyone tell what the difference between a 900 S4 and an XP4?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Can anyone tell what the difference between a 900 S4 and an XP4?

The XPs have a trailing arm rear suspension, bigger/better shocks, more travel, and it is wider,

The XP is more of a desert machine, the S is more of a trail machine.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I think your on the right track looking for a 900xp. If speed isn't a factor check out the Teryx 4. They have a lot of room and are super reliable option for your price point.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
First, thank you all for your input. Never thought I’d be looking at something like a sxs. Been reading up on what I can about the xp4 900’s.

From the tips here, I see there seems to be a design or maintenance issue concerning the air filter housing. So I’ll be looking for signs or proof of regular and diligent maintenance.

Regardless, it seems these things are needing new motors between 3000-5000 miles (close to the miles I’m seeing used at reasonable prices). Then a long or short block costs between 3000-5000 (depending on shop etc). Is it normal to think it’s costs a dollar a mile in just engine wear?

I’m a numbers guy, this seems crazy to me?!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
First, thank you all for your input. Never thought I’d be looking at something like a sxs. Been reading up on what I can about the xp4 900’s.

From the tips here, I see there seems to be a design or maintenance issue concerning the air filter housing. So I’ll be looking for signs or proof of regular and diligent maintenance.

Regardless, it seems these things are needing new motors between 3000-5000 miles (close to the miles I’m seeing used at reasonable prices). Then a long or short block costs between 3000-5000 (depending on shop etc). Is it normal to think it’s costs a dollar a mile in just engine wear?

I’m a numbers guy, this seems crazy to me?!

If it sucks dirt, yes the motor won't last too long.

But no, the engines don't just wear out at 5000 miles.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
👍 Ok, good to know. With maintenance what should I expect?
Anybody here have high mileage 900 experience?

Thinking of selling this to fund something the kids can do more with.

138C7F52-BDA6-4B2F-973E-8F56C91B7295.jpeg
369A1267-B8EC-4A24-937C-6A0E7A5567D8.jpeg

Last edited:

BIGRED9158

Reaction score

Jimmyv

Reaction score
That seems like a lot of car for the money!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Only thing I'd worry about is why did the motor blow up after less than 1700 miles (car was turbo'ed 2 years after new)... And was it freshened (rebuilt) just to move the car?

Car looks nice though.