WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on truck shells

LakeBeard

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a camper shell. From what I have read Snugtop is the way to go, what do you guys think?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I think Leer and A.R.E. are all on par with snugtop. All 3 allow you to upgrade window and such to improve upon the base model. I would say you can pick whatever you think looks best out of the 3 manufacturers. Just get ready to loose you mind when to option yours out and see the price... It's staggering.

HitIt

Reaction score
Is this for a new truck? If not, you might want to hunt around for used. New, they are super expensive, and used, relatively cheap.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
I think Leer and A.R.E. are all on par with snugtop. All 3 allow you to upgrade window and such to improve upon the base model. I would say you can pick whatever you think looks best out of the 3 manufacturers. Just get ready to loose you mind when to option yours out and see the price... It's staggering.
what's staggering? Last one I had came w/ the truck

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
what are you wanting the topper for? I really like the Softoppers, had one on a tacoma and it was the best of both worlds. Could close it up to sleep in and keep honest people honest when there was gear in the back, could drop it when I needed to do truck things, and much cheaper and lighter than a traditional topper.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Snugtop, Get it configured how you want. Don’t like the color, doesn’t match your new truck, send it back and have them factory repainted and repaired to whatever you need. LA fire department uses them too.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ve got the top of the line alert, i picked it up used but still expensive but amazing quality and fully upgradable. I’d like to upgrade to the pop out inner window just to simplify cleaning back window but otherwise it’s just perfect.
FD83E43B-60CC-42BF-878D-74002EA16067.jpeg

Attachments

• 8422E8FD-FEBF-4D9A-B7C2-F43F1559AC27.jpeg
    8422E8FD-FEBF-4D9A-B7C2-F43F1559AC27.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 58

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 Leer tops in the past 15 years, All were good fit and color. Back in California I had a Bramaha. It was very light and easy for one person to take off and put on.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
what are you wanting the topper for? I really like the Softoppers, had one on a tacoma and it was the best of both worlds. Could close it up to sleep in and keep honest people honest when there was gear in the back, could drop it when I needed to do truck things, and much cheaper and lighter than a traditional topper.
Mainly for my dog when we go on trips, soft top might be the way to go

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Will the soft top still work w/ a tool box in the bed? its the one that lays flush...

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Will the soft top still work w/ a tool box in the bed? its the one that lays flush...

It should work for any setup that a hard shell would work. Drawback to the softop if it' for a dog is that you can't open a window for fresh air. You can remove the windows altogether like below, though.

1628526244850.png

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
This was a base quote for a 2020 GMC short bed 2500:

Thanks for your inquiry. For your truck, the starting prices for the LEER 100XL is $2,449 (mention code: AJ for this special email price quote).

We also offer several other models for your truck, with prices starting at $1,639! We're currently running several promotions in addition to any applicable manufacturer specials! Give us a call (or visit our store!) and one of our associates can put together a package along with any optional features you prefer and provide you an 'out-the-door' price quote including any running promotions.

California Camper Shells is the largest truck accessory dealer in the Inland Empire and a consistent top-2 dealer in all of Southern California. Please stop by and visit us; we have over 700 camper shells and tonneau covers in stock. All models are on display for your viewing and selection.

Please feel free to give us a call Mon-Sat at (909) 983-6263, and ask for one of our sales associates and we will be glad to assist. SE HABLA ESPANOL!

uc

828 W. Holt Blvd
Ontario, CA 91762
909.983.6263 main
Hours: 9am-5am (M-F) & 9am to 3pm (Sat); Closed on Sunday
http://www. californiacampershell.com/

LakeBeard

Reaction score
This was a base quote for a 2020 GMC short bed 2500:

Thanks for your inquiry. For your truck, the starting prices for the LEER 100XL is $2,449 (mention code: AJ for this special email price quote).

We also offer several other models for your truck, with prices starting at $1,639! We're currently running several promotions in addition to any applicable manufacturer specials! Give us a call (or visit our store!) and one of our associates can put together a package along with any optional features you prefer and provide you an 'out-the-door' price quote including any running promotions.

California Camper Shells is the largest truck accessory dealer in the Inland Empire and a consistent top-2 dealer in all of Southern California. Please stop by and visit us; we have over 700 camper shells and tonneau covers in stock. All models are on display for your viewing and selection.

Please feel free to give us a call Mon-Sat at (909) 983-6263, and ask for one of our sales associates and we will be glad to assist. SE HABLA ESPANOL!

uc

828 W. Holt Blvd
Ontario, CA 91762
909.983.6263 main
Hours: 9am-5am (M-F) & 9am to 3pm (Sat); Closed on Sunday
http://www. californiacampershell.com/
Thanks, that's not too bad. Did you got it and are you happy?

2Driver

Reaction score
I’ve always liked ARE. Never had a problem. I just put this on last Friday.

Kind of killed the look, lol but the Gladiator never really had the look to start with. Damn thing was $3,400. Last ARE was about $2,200 for the 2014 Tundra.

130D0D29-6612-4EB3-A608-54BC93905FB9.jpeg

Loo Dog

Reaction score
Definitely look for a used one first. Not only are they significantly more expensive than just a few years ago, but the lead times for an optioned build are ridiculously long. Sign of the times, I suppose.

2Driver

Reaction score
Definitely look for a used one first. Not only are they significantly more expensive than just a few years ago, but the lead times for an optioned build are ridiculously long. Sign of the times, I suppose.

Yep, took 2 months. Used ones are usually 30 cents on the dollar.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Following..I'd like to get one for the truck so I can leave stuff back there on road trips etc. Has anyone ever had an RV style AC on one?

2Driver

Reaction score
Following..I'd like to get one for the truck so I can leave stuff back there on road trips etc. Has anyone ever had an RV style AC on one?

Ive seen some pretty small ac units in overland rigs that run off DC.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
I ordered a century shell in February, I'll let you know on the quality if it ever shows up. Supposedly waiting on the windows I ordered.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score

I think that these are JC Whitney units but might not be available any longer. :looking:

Sedan version....
2FB8BDE4-A244-43DC-8E2A-2B72AADC847F.jpeg

Tow hitch version....
929D37B4-0776-4D85-BE1A-E0ABCFA1CD7F.jpeg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I have bought two Snugtop’s in last 5 years. Both at the tune over $3k each. I have been very happy with them and the service I get when going back for adjustments or parts. Typically, I have been replacing the shocks on rear window about every 16-18 months.

IMG_6064.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

A couple lessons between the one I have now and the previous one.

They offer a fold down window option for the cab window, it does not fold down flat against the inside of bed. And you would not want to fold it down on top of anything sitting or stowed in bed of truck. It in my opinion is not a good option if you are thinking of a pass thru for kids or a dog.

A better option that they offer is a flip up (just like back window of shell). And it can be secured. I did this on my most recent one and tinted all the windows.

On my old tundra, the cab lines looked funny as the back of tundra roof rolls down a bit. The aero sport that I have now keeps the lines of the tundra cab without loosing any space. It appears to be lower in the back but it’s just the shape of the mold and the windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Assuming they’re still in business, I’ve bought two shells from these folks over the last 30 years and both are in good shape sorry I don’t have any pictures. They might not be the name brand you’re looking for but, decent quality IMO, and the price is about 1/3 to 1/2 the last time I bought one.
Camper Shell Depot
(909) 796-7238

LakeBeard

Reaction score
I have bought two Snugtop’s in last 5 years. Both at the tune over $3k each. I have been very happy with them and the service I get when going back for adjustments or parts. Typically, I have been replacing the shocks on rear window about every 16-18 months.

View attachment 1035588

View attachment 1035689

A couple lessons between the one I have now and the previous one.

They offer a fold down window option for the cab window, it does not fold down flat against the inside of bed. And you would not want to fold it down on top of anything sitting or stowed in bed of truck. It in my opinion is not a good option if you are thinking of a pass thru for kids or a dog.

A better option that they offer is a flip up (just like back window of shell). And it can be secured. I did this on my most recent one and tinted all the windows.

On my old tundra, the cab lines looked funny as the back of tundra roof rolls down a bit. The aero sport that I have now keeps the lines of the tundra cab without loosing any space. It appears to be lower in the back but it’s just the shape of the mold and the windows.

Do you have the dim of where is clamps down onto the bed rails? I have a flush mount tool box w/ a battery and compressor I would like to keep. I have just over an inch of clearance on each side of the lid, will the hold downs be in the way of the lid opening? the pic below is the dim I'm after. I called SnugTop and they don't know, seems weird.

1628542664469.png

rivergames

Reaction score
I started looking around at smaller battery powered AC unit. This one runs for 4 hours. If I pick up 2 batteries, I should easily make it to Parker from LA. Hell, I'd also use this when I go camping in the sierras or boating in Catalina
Has anyone ever used one of these products?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Do you have the dim of where is clamps down onto the bed rails? I have a flush mount tool box w/ a battery and compressor I would like to keep. I have just over an inch of clearance on each side of the lid, will the hold downs be in the way of the lid opening? the pic below is the dim I'm after. I called SnugTop and they don't know, seems weird.

View attachment 1035694

if I am understanding correctly, I just measured distance between that mounting point and the other on opposite side at 60"

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I got one a Snug Top for my F150, Love it, Added the electric lock and unlock to the shell window.. Badassness Bought from the guys in Torrance, family owned shop, real nice people.
Torrance Shell Center

Phone: (310) 326-2124

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Fuller campers in riverside always took care of me..

LakeBeard

Reaction score
if I am understanding correctly, I just measured distance between that mounting point and the other on opposite side at 60"
Thanks, for some reason it's been a nightmare to get this measurement, I even call snugtop and they wouldn't give it to me.

Reaction score
I’ve always liked ARE. Never had a problem. I just put this on last Friday.

Kind of killed the look, lol but the Gladiator never really had the look to start with. Damn thing was $3,400. Last ARE was about $2,200 for the 2014 Tundra.

View attachment 1035533

can you take a pic from the side ? I think it actually improved the look of that truck...

white tortilla

Reaction score
image.jpg
A.R.E Revo from Daco in SFV

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 38

Universal Elements

Reaction score

View attachment 1035694

It’s 1/2 inch to 5/8” between the red mark and bedrail. The reason one side is greater than the other is because you are able to move the shell a tiny bit, side to side. So it’s not perfectly centered.

44F5C3C1-C1F2-4EDE-8072-ED89510D648D.jpeg

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I’ve had mine for 15 years. Have the oversized roof for my large welder, compressor and another skid with generator, pressure washer and two hundred gallon tank. I open all the doors for ventilation/cooling when I run the machines.

532A68A6-7A6A-4459-873E-5527505E46D5.jpeg
00119D26-7128-447B-870B-8B65FD47C58A.jpeg
13DD9E77-5B36-4778-9B88-C02AC0F39A9E.jpeg

mobldj

Reaction score
got mine off craigslist for 500,you just gotta be patient to find right model and color.mines got the flip down window.makes cleaning truck back windows simple.mainly for the dogs heading to the river and dj equipment hauling

dogs in truck.jpg
dodge and shell.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I bought an ARE mid height, new with a bunch of led lighting inside and color matched to the truck for around $2,200. Took around 2 months to get. Could of got a matching color standard height used for less than half but i wanted mid height roof.

I got the flip down slider window option for cleaning. Opted out of the “skylight” glass. I would of preferred no glass at all in the cap (except the flip down slider) but decided to get the side glass. Regretting that now.

IMG_5432.jpg

LB247XS

Reaction score
I have the LEER XL with the flip down frond window and frameless windows. Really the like my shell
20201219_093818.jpg
20200627_180611.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Javajoe

Reaction score
Can you still reregister your truck as Passenger and pay way less a year once you install it? CA used to do that. Not sure anymore

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Can you still reregister your truck as Passenger and pay way less a year once you install it? CA used to do that. Not sure anymore
I have never heard of that, how does that work?

PlanB

Reaction score

Yes. It has to be a permanently affixed shell like the ones in this thread (not the easily removable camper type). Our 2500 HD is registered non-commercial with it's shell.

Javajoe

Reaction score
I have never heard of that, how does that work?
You go down to DMV and they verify it’s permanently secured then they reregister it as a car or whatever terminology they use. I learned this years ago after CHP stopped me in my new Dodge and asked if I had a shell on it that was taken off. I said no. He said well it’s registered as such so here is a ticket to go get it weighed and go reregister it as commercial. Dealer fucked up and he saw my plates were reading not commercial.

PlanB

Reaction score
BTW, if you have AAA they can do the registration change as well.

Last edited: