WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Utah

hallett21

Reaction score
Not making any rash decisions but I am curious.

If you were say 30, married with no kids but planning on a family, enjoyed boating, snow skiing, fishing, camping, off-roading, etc.

Also enjoy traveling internationally.

What part of Utah would you live in? Ideally within 1 hour of Salt Lake City (closest international airport I assume). The goal would be 3/3 home with a large shop with 3-4 acres for 1 million.

Is that even possible?

And I’m sure I am reaching but within 30-40 mins of some sort of night life. Nothing crazy but good restaurants/bars etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD D05

Reaction score

If you were say 30, married with no kids but planning on a family, enjoyed boating, snow skiing, fishing, camping, off-roading, etc.

What part of Utah would you live in? Ideally within 1 hour of Salt Lake City (closest international airport I assume). The goal would be 3/3 home with a large shop with 3-4 acres for 1 million.

Is that even possible?

And I’m sure I am reaching but within 30-40 mins of some sort of night life. Nothing crazy but good restaurants/bars etc.

Yes it is possible. The hardest part will be that amount of land at that price that close to SLC.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Is that even possible?

I would stick to Southern end of Utah unless you like the cold of winter. St George is about 2-2.5 hours from Vegas

Great place to raise a family. Bars and Nightlife are not the same in Utah as they are the rest of the country, they have very different liquor laws.

hallett21

Reaction score
Yes it is possible. The hardest part will be that amount of land at that price that close to SLC.

Alright what number do I need to move lol?

Same house and shop on 1.5-2 acres?

JD D05

Reaction score
The most popular areas in the valley are South Jordan, Draper, Herriman, and Bluffdale. Bluffdale is the most likely to have the higher acreage and a shop. But you don't see many people move out of there. Beyond that you start looking out to the West into Tooele County or way up North in the Far West area. Far West is awesome but the drive to SLC sux. Or you can go East to higher elevation... Heber, Kamas, Wanship, Coalville. This area you are about an hour from SLC but you have PArk City pretty close for nightlife which is better than SLC anyway.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
So in other words .MUST BE A BALLER TO RELOCATE TO UTAH.. dammit.. I wont be moving there...

hallett21

Reaction score
Wife and I currently live in So Cal (Woodland Hills/Calabasas area). She’s an NP/RN and I have a construction business. We’re doing (what I think) is well for ourselves. But what we’re paying in taxes/cost of living has me looking around.

My biggest issue would be starting over in a new state.

I threw out a million as the price point because we could buy dirt and build a house in the hills of Malibu for that. Granted I would have to do the bulk of the work and probably do unconventional financing to pull it all off.

Not to mention we are paying the same property taxes as the homes posted. But our house is 1,100 sq ft 🤨

Edit: we both love CA but also love the outdoors. Pretty much every get away weekend equals a flight or 5 hour drive lol.

Last edited:

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
I'm building a new house in West Draper for 1.1M, 1/2 acre view lot and small 3 car garage. Still need to build the shop for another 100k. Just sold my house in Cottonwood Heights right up against the mountains, 500sf home build in 1991 and recently updated for 1.2m. If you want 3 acres, shop and 3x3 house, you are going to be an hour out of SLC for sure. That's not so bad.

kurtis500

Reaction score
Park City! Come on up. It has everything you want and nearby too.

I love the winters here. I still have ny house in Phoenix and get the best of both.. Love it here

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Utah say don't pick up hitchhiker Joe.
It's a small ticket, Until he places his weed and paraphernalia Under the seat.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Wife and I currently live in So Cal (Woodland Hills/Calabasas area). She’s an NP/RN and I have a construction business. We’re doing (what I think) is well for ourselves. But what we’re paying in taxes/cost of living has me looking around.

I threw out a million as the price point because we could buy dirt and build a house in the hills of Malibu for that. Granted I would have to do the bulk of the work and probably do unconventional financing to pull it all off.

Not to mention we are paying the same property taxes as the homes posted. But our house is 1,100 sq ft 🤨

Edit: we both love CA but also love the outdoors. Pretty much every get away weekend equals a flight or 5 hour drive lol.

I'm not sure if it is anymore. But before it was harder to get work not being part of LDS. I know things are different now, and people pretty much socialize with who ever, just have heard that Mormons stick with Mormon business's and if you are not, then it might not be a good move if you do public work.

Perhaps someone can clear this up.....

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
What’s the construction market look like in Utah?

I’m in a similar situation as Hallet21, wife’s an NP and I’m in commercial construction. SLC looks like a place we could live, I’d like to have four seasons again.

JD D05

Reaction score
As long as you don't introduce yourself as Fred the non Mormon it really never comes up. Utah mainly Salt Lake is booming on construction. Silicon slopes, Amazon, New Airport and a ton of residential. Silicon Slopes is a place where all kinds of Tech companies are coming.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Our backgrounds and wants are very similar. I'd check out Heber, but don't expect to get the acreage you want especially if you wait. It's getting expensive, fast.

It looks like we'll be heading to Texas due to our jobs, but I actually like Utah better.

wallnutz

Reaction score
As long as you don't introduce yourself as Fred the non Mormon it really never comes up. Utah mainly Salt Lake is booming on construction. Silicon slopes, Amazon, New Airport and a ton of residential. Silicon Slopes is a place where all kinds of Tech companies are coming.
With tech companies come liberals. Watch what you want, it’s what happened in AZ. All the new construction is great for the economy and local construction, but there are pitfalls.
But Utah or Idaho is on my short list to get out of AZ.

JD D05

Reaction score
With tech companies come liberals. Watch what you want, it’s what happened in AZ. All the new construction is great for the economy and local construction, but there are pitfalls.
But Utah or Idaho is on my short list to get out of AZ.

I agree. I have seen this for awhile, I just hope all CA plates I see now think like me and UT for now.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score

When we moved here from California in 2012, the neighbor lady came right up to us first day and said "welcome to the neighborhood, my name is Lisa, we live just across the street, the bishop is so excited to meet you". no shit. The people we bought the house from were Mormon and were so afraid to tell the neighbors in the Ward that they sold to Catholics, they lied to them. Funny shit. I set the record straight right away, they are always nice to us in passing, but it's clear we don't run with their pack. That would probably bother some or most, but we are fairly private people, so it's not an issue. I love the Mormon blank stare, you see it all over, they are kind of dead inside, we call them "the robots".

Hypnautic

Reaction score
We like Heber City. That’s where we like to stay when vacationing up there. Close to Park City and Deer Valley. Lakes are cold up there even in summer. Something you could probably get used to though.

Utah winters are tuff for me so Utah is an distant option-for me in retirement (in 20+ yrs)

Go stay and check it out. We stay at the Homestead Inn in Heber.
IMG_1752.JPG

JD D05

Reaction score
We like Heber City. That’s where we like to stay when vacationing up there. Close to Park City and Deer Valley. Lakes are cold up there even in summer. Something you could probably get used to though.

Utah winters are tuff for me so Utah is an distant option-for me in retirement (in 20+ yrs)

Go stay and check it out. We stay at the Homestead Inn in Heber. View attachment 941153
My parents live in Heber

attitude

Reaction score
How bad are the Mormons in Southern Utah, St George/Hurricane area?

Dirtbag

Reaction score
in other words soon to be dominated by liberals and flipping blue

JD D05

Reaction score
How many are there? How unfriendly are they to outsiders?

I like this for Utah because people really think it happens. From my perspective you know the people you want and the others are just there. I moved away from great neighbors and half were Mormon and we never hung out one time in 14 years. But our kids played a ton, I trusted them and they trusted me. But I have been here most my life and understand it, could be different for new families.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Pretty bad. They all stand across the street and chant "witch" quietly. Its a little rough on the wife. Suck it up though right
I invite them over for a drink 😎 lol why do you take 2 Mormons fishing with you ? Cus if you take 1 they will drink all your beer and smoke all your weed 👍😂I just fuckn with you guys 😎

JD D05

Reaction score
None down south

I am aware. I can work anywhere and so can my wife. If I didn't have kids I would be rural for sure. And maybe I should anyway but I made my choice. I love the area above Kanab about 20 miles towards SLC. Wyoming would also be a really strong possibility.

attitude

Reaction score
I like this for Utah because people really think it happens. From my perspective you know the people you want and the others are just there. I moved away from great neighbors and half were Mormon and we never hung out one time in 14 years. But our kids played a ton, I trusted them and they trusted me. But I have been here most my life and understand it, could be different for new families.
It’s good to know all the kids get along, I have a 1 year old and we plan to have one or two more so they will still be young if/when we move up there.

JD D05

Reaction score

You don't need to spend anywhere near that for a nice place. My area is still somewhat of a pocket that hasn't caught up yet on price. We have a nice home not really fancy or large but nice on an acre. Shop is next and I hopefully will be really nice. We are under half of the number you mentioned.

JD D05

Reaction score
It’s good to know all the kids get along, I have a 1 year old and we plan to have one or two more so they will still be young if/when we move up there.

We have never had an issue with that. It would help to move into a newer community. They tend to have young kids.

hallett21

Reaction score
You don't need to spend anywhere near that for a nice place. My area is still somewhat of a pocket that hasn't caught up yet on price. We have a nice home not really fancy or large but nice on an acre. Shop is next and I hopefully will be really nice. We are under half of the number you mentioned.

I think my acreage might be off. Where we are 4 acres = 1 acre of usable area with 3 acres of hills.

Just from what you’ve posted has changed my perspective.

What we are looking for is a large yard that kids and dogs can play in and where we don’t have a neighbor looking through our bedroom window.

We like space but also want to be able to invite friends over, be able to go to their place or hit a decent restaurant for a night out.

CA has been good to us but every 2-5 weeks I think about living in another state. The biggest issue would be leaving a successful business and the pacific. We would need a big lake or a river to supplement that.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
We have family up in the mountains above ogden. They moved from silverthorne co because it got too busy for them there. Their neighborhood is awesome. New development, three stories, movie theatre, 4 car garage and an amazing view. This the backyard it's definetly gods country.
IMG_20191227_144205573_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191227_144158860_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191226_154509431.jpg

This is the front.
IMG_20191227_105842681.jpg

Lots of vacation homes primarily owned by mormons. They are older empty nesters with grandkids. They hate it. The skiing is awesome but the neighbors won't have anything to do with them. They are not part of the church and are essentially shunned. Probably doesn't help that they are partiers... I have heard a ton of good stuff about park city. I have only been to slc in passing a couple of times but not impressed. Downtown ogden is pretty cool.

attitude

Reaction score
We have never had an issue with that. It would help to move into a newer community. They tend to have young kids.
I’ve been looking at the neighborhood north of Sand Hollow, I like the newer houses with RV garages. Also being so close to the lake and the dunes i think our kids would have a ton of fun growing up there.