WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Utah

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the neighborhood north of Sand Hollow, I like the newer houses with RV garages. Also being so close to the lake and the dunes i think our kids would have a ton of fun growing up there.
Sand Hollow is a friggin ZOO during the summer and holiday weekends..........2 pounds of crap in a one pound bag

motormonkey

Reaction score
If I didn't have any kids, Utah was my my top choice. I was cautioned by some friends that are from that state that my kids could be outsiders. Beutiful state with lots to do and is still on my list when kids are out of school.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the neighborhood north of Sand Hollow, I like the newer houses with RV garages. Also being so close to the lake and the dunes i think our kids would have a ton of fun growing up there.

Sand Hollow is a nice place, but watch out for the swimmers itch.
Salt Lake is building out quick, most large lots have not a lot of usable. As Deardon and others pointed out, Heber, Bluffdale, Eagle Mountain, Parts of Alpine (although be prepared to drive across the city line as Alpine doesn't sell Alcohol) Snyderville by Park City Even Huntsville just East of Ogden Pineview lake right there.
Lakes are plentiful and a short drive, Jordenelle, Strawberry, Deer Creek, PineView, Echo...
Dunes, you've got little Sahara roughly 2 hr drive, trails up the ying yang pretty much anywhere.
Nightlife...Well it's Utah, there's plenty of nice places to eat, from Ogden to Provo to Park City/Deer Valley. If you're looking to go clubbing then someone younger than me would have to chime in.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
Utah is unbelievably beautiful as everyone knows.
I’ve made good friends with Mormons twice in my life, didn’t even know they were Mormon for quite a while. Hardest working, nicest, most family oriented people I’ve ever met.

kurtis500

Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about the Mormons much. Its true that some are exclusive to their own church community. I live in Park City which is one of two places known as the 'non-mormon' bubbles. Moab being the other. I think most people see them as weird or strange without knowing them. Unfortunately that view is somewhat bigotted although it can be understood why when you go into a heavily Mormon area and feel out of place naturally. Many businesses in Utah hope to hire people from within their church community and you end up with clicks within a company. I saw this at ATK, now Northup Grumman. Rarely you'll see the polygamist groups that live in small communities in SLC, Ive seen them at Costco in Murray a couple of times. I spend half my time in Phoenix and retired from the Phoenix Fire Department. I can tell you Salt Lake is nowhere near the beast with the problems Phoenix has.. No need to mention LA. Its getting more expensive here but what isnt? If you look up SLC or even Park City you'll notice its warmer, gets more sun and snow than Minneapolis. Basically the best of winter sports and outdoors without the miserable grey and cold. But its nice sometimes to step of the plane in Phoenix when Im in the snow for a while, Ill admit that..but then Im ready to get back right away.

McKay

Reaction score
I would not worry too much about the mormons. We have younger kids and they fit in just fine with mormon kids. Granted we don't drink with their parents but most are all really friendly. We live in Bluffdale, which is 20 minutes from Downtown SLC. Most area's of Bluffdale are 1 acre minimum and quite easy to find a nice place for well under a $1M. Lots of small buisness owners here. I would say 600-750K will by a nice home then leave $250K+ for a decent detached garage. Most neighborhoods are also flat which was a huge requirement for us as we wanted to build a nice shop and make it easy to move around toys and what not.

DaveH

Reaction score
utah is a VERY interesting place.

i have spent a ton of time there, for work, for pleasure and my GF grew up there.

to me, salt lake currently feels like the southern califonia boom of the late 70's early 80's......kinda like when irvine was mostly old orange groves.

but now.....the BOOM is ON. they cant build fast enough and companies are moving in like crazy, I have been told the reason so many companies are moving there is because the population is very skilled compared to most places (something like 80% of the kids there now graduate college).

that being said...finding your ponderosa large family dwelling anywhere near SLC...while possible....will be big $$$.

i am not going to comment on the liquor and Mormon issues........enough has been said already i will just say they ARE REAL.

i understand not wanting to be in the far south like St George. For me I would want to be closer to a city that has a major airport, and SG is very much desert terrain not much different then anything you now know. it get just as hot it SG as Vegas.

I would be looking south of salt lake city....maybe near provo or even south of that.....Elk Ridge is awesome and has MANY homes like what you are looking for.

just be prepared for the white stuff and REAL winters.....although it does seem like in the last 20 years ( and i don't believe in global warming) that the winters have become MUCH milder and shorter. maybe that trend will reverse.....who knows.

84miller

Reaction score
I would stick to Southern end of Utah unless you like the cold of winter. St George is about 2-2.5 hours from Vegas

Great place to raise a family. Bars and Nightlife are not the same in Utah as they are the rest of the country, they have very different liquor laws.

Good choice for skiing, Brian Head is a quick run up the mountain, plus you can find property with a home there....

DaveH

Reaction score
Good choice for skiing, Brian Head is a quick run up the mountain, plus you can find property with a home there....
yeah but if you like skiing and are competent......Brian Head is a POOR excuse for serious skiing. Eagle point is better but still........the cotton woods and Park city blow away southern utah for serious terrain and more consistent snow fall.

CHECKERED_PAST

Reaction score
IMG_2870.jpg

kurtis500

Reaction score
Regarding liquor laws, its a limit of 5% on tap. Anything over 5% you have to buy at a liquor store but you can buy high ABV at restaraunts and etc. I drink Hop Rising everywhere here and its 9%. In fact, the liquor stores in Park City sell ONLY 5%+ alcohol and nothing less. There are other states that have state liquor stores and they are anything but Mormon. Personally if people want to booze it up and smoke their weed they can go somewhere else like Colorado and quit complaining about the laws, they were here long before the whinning started. And I HATE dealing with drunk and high people on the slopes.

Honestly I get tired of the constant bashing on the 'Mormon' state. After my friend railed on the Utah Mormons and the laws I told him he sounded like 1930's Germany railing on the Jews. Havent heard him bitch once since. And I am definitely NOT Mormon. But I'll admit they have an exclusive nature engrained in them by the church that doesnt welcome people who arent in their religion. no doubt few are like that but most arent.

Last edited: