WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on XJ's

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Just starting to look for a jeep for the family.

Need it big enough for Wife and I plus a 10 year old and 4 year old. I want heat for those cold desert days lol.

It doesn't necessarily need to handle all that great on the street as it would mostly be on dirt and occasionally hit pavement when needed. Need it CA plated.

I've been looking at early to late 90's XJ's. Some really nice ones out there mixed with a lot of clapped out crap.

I don't know shit about jeeps or what to look out for. I need the pro's help.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Paging Roz!! Roz to the white courtesy phone, please!! He's got a bitchen XJ project going on.

Posted from my Galaxy S3

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
A friend just picked up a 99 for under 6k. Thing is CLEAN with only 113k miles. Finding one that's "low mileage" is gonna be biggest obstacle you're gonna come across when looking. Id stick to a late 90's with a 4.0, ax15 trans and one that has the optional 8.25 rear axle. Stay away from automatic trans if possible

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
A friend just picked up a 99 for under 6k. Thing is CLEAN with only 113k miles. Finding one that's "low mileage" is gonna be biggest obstacle you're gonna come across when looking. Id stick to a late 90's with a 4.0, ax15 trans and one that has the optional 8.25 rear axle. Stay away from automatic trans if possible

Wasn't sure on the auto or manual deal, thanks. Only looking at 6 cylinder 4x4.

Don't want someone else's nightmare, would rather add to somebody's pride and joy. I just want to be able to spot issues the seller isn't pointing out.

This is kinda what I'm looking for...

gepuza9e.jpg

5uqeja5a.jpg

D

Deleted Account

Yep, Roz can hook you up. He breathes these things, lol!:D

Reactions: ROZ

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
The 4.0 engine package is pretty straight forward really. So if there's something wrong with it, you'll know. Our biggest concern was the guy had a 5 in Currie lift on it with 33's and claimed he never took it off roading which we found hard to believe. Kind of a big deal since xjs have unibody frames and flex so easily. Check the undercarriage for major rock rash, the rear quarter panel tends to "wrinkle" around the rear window if its been flexed a lot, id ask if its been regeared (some of these came with 3.07 gears!), maintenance records etc etc.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
The 4.0 engine package is pretty straight forward really. So if there's something wrong with it, you'll know. Our biggest concern was the guy had a 5 in Currie lift on it with 33's and claimed he never took it off roading which we found hard to believe. Kind of a big deal since xjs have unibody frames and flex so easily. Check the undercarriage for major rock rash, the rear quarter panel tends to "wrinkle" around the rear window if its been flexed a lot, id ask if its been regeared (some of these came with 3.07 gears!), maintenance records etc etc.

The unibody deal has me deterred a bit.

When you're looking at aftermarket parts and you see suggested items are frame stiffener parts I know where the weak link is lol

A CJ is too small and the JK's are still to new. I don't want to worry about scratching it.

I looked at other makes (Ford Chevy etc) but the jeep aftermarket is huge compared to the others. Prefer to stick to Jeep.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Xj is a great platform to build off...

We have built my dad a very nice off roader that works well.

4.5" lift on 33's.

He has a bunch of $$ into it at this point. We started off a very clean stock/ low mileage anniversary package.

Stiffners are important if you're going to wheel it hard.

My advise is to buy one that is all done up with lift,gears and lockers as that will cost you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381941004863.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381941004863.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 171
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381941031701.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381941031701.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 167

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Xj is a great platform to build off...

We have built my dad a very nice off roader that works well.

4.5" lift on 33's.

He has a bunch of $$ into it at this point. We started off a very clean stock/ low mileage anniversary package.

Stiffners are important if you're going to wheel it hard.

My advise is to buy one that is all done up with lift,gears and lockers as that will cost you.

Your Dad's ride is about perfect for what I'm looking to do with it. Thats a clean jeep :thumbsup

Lift, gears, lockers... Got it.

Thanks CT

relaxalot

Reaction score
94 cherokee.jpg

Am I wrong for wishing I had an automatic trans? This is my jeep. When I am crawling over rocks I wish for an automatic. I like everything else. Especially the air conditioning!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
View attachment 297500

Am I wrong for wishing I had an automatic trans? This is my jeep. When I am crawling over rocks I wish for an automatic. I like everything else. Especially the air conditioning!

No....lol

Personal choice but I wouldn't own a manual in the rocks.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
The unibody deal has me deterred a bit.

When you're looking at aftermarket parts and you see suggested items are frame stiffener parts I know where the weak link is lol

A CJ is too small and the JK's are still to new. I don't want to worry about scratching it.

I looked at other makes (Ford Chevy etc) but the jeep aftermarket is huge compared to the others. Prefer to stick to Jeep.

Im probably going to sound dumb as hell for saying this but i wish i wouldve looked at the Cherokee as an option before buying my TJ. Dont get me wrong, I love my rig and ive always wanted one since i was a kid, but its not practical at all. Lack of space, theft from having my windows sliced twice(i leave all my doors unlocked all the time btw), all the road noise form the soft top flapping, oh and did i mention the lack of space? lol

View attachment 297500

Throw in a $10 diy hand throttle and call it a day :thumbup:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

About;)

Shoot my dad has driven every trail on big bear w/o lockers except jb.

No doubt in my mind he can do the Rubicon once locked.

D

Deleted Account

About;)

Shoot my dad has driven every trail on big bear w/o lockers except jb.

No doubt in my mind he can do the Rubicon once locked.

You guys need to go out to the Hammers, lol...

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Been there, got the T shirt. Can't wait for you to go, though. Lol

I don't want the T-shirt..lol

Didn't Cherri tell you it didn't count because it took you to many trys...lol

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
We're in Big Bear a lot. My Brother and Sister In Law have their weekend house in Big Bear City.

You guys figure that an XJ can do most all the trails leading in and out? My BIL has a JK, I don't want to be sucking ass every trip out lol

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
We're in Big Bear a lot. My Brother and Sister In Law have their weekend house in Big Bear City.

You guys figure that an XJ can do most all the trails leading in and out? My BIL has a JK, I don't want to be sucking ass every trip out lol

You will have fun with a nice xj on 33's if it has lockers.

A built up jk on 35"+ tires is a nicer ride but they don't come cheap. Check of that 45k rig that river posted if you really want to throw it down:eek::D

Hammer

Reaction score
I would try it tommorow in rivers rig.....

You headed out to the hammers tomorrow ?

Even in Rivers rig you'd run out of talent !

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
You headed out to the hammers tomorrow ?

Even in Rivers rig you'd run out of talent !

No I work tommorow...lol

Its not rocket science....bad ass rig and no fear of destroying it means I could do a lot of cool stuff...or not:D

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
You will have fun with a nice xj on 33's if it has lockers.

A built up jk on 35"+ tires is a nicer ride but they don't come cheap. Check of that 45k rig that river posted if you really want to throw it down:eek::D

I already have a Jeep with a Hemi, unfortunately its the housewife kind that stays clean in the garage and won't hit dirt. :thumbsdown

There is definitely some nice rigs out there (you and rivers included). The JK will come in time, I need to beat the hell out of an XJ long before I go that route. :)

Hammer

Reaction score
No I work tommorow...lol

Its not rocket science....bad ass rig and no fear of destroying it means I could do a lot of cool stuff...or not:D

River DID say practice makes perfect ! :D

I just don't see you hammering on your Rubi, it's too pretty. We all know how you don't like scratches let alone dents ;)

Sorry for the thread jack OP.....

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
River DID say practice makes perfect ! :D

I just don't see you hammering on your Rubi, it's too pretty. We all know how you don't like scratches let alone dents ;)

Sorry for the thread jack OP.....

Not hammering in it...noted:D

You're correct I will go out of my way to avoid body damage. Underside,bumpers and rails get used. My rig is just an average quality build. Nothing special when compared to a coil over bypass set up like bobs. We will see where the hobby takes me when its paid off in 4+ years. I don't want to go bigger or bladder while daily driving it 70 miles a day:)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381979100618.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381979100618.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 172
D

Deleted Account

Dude you drive like a grandpa. Slow lane freeway cruiser, that's you, lol.:D Big Bear trails are a blast. Our family has a house up in Fawnskin. An XJ will run all the trails. You're going to need lockers to do John Bull clean, and just really hammer it otherwise without them. Best thing about BB is get up, run the trails, then head back to the house, have lunch and then take the boat out the rest of the day, haha... Lots of people running the trails, so you're just a tow strap away if you get hung up. It's a lot of fun.:thumbup:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Dude you drive like a grandpa. Slow lane freeway cruiser, that's you, lol.:D Big Bear trails are a blast. Our family has a house up in Fawnskin. An XJ will run all the trails. You're going to need lockers to do John Bull clean, and just really hammer it otherwise without them. Best thing about BB is get up, run the trails, then head back to the house, have lunch and then take the boat out the rest of the day, haha... Lots of people running the trails, so you're just a tow strap away if you get hung up. It's a lot of fun.:thumbup:

All that plus I sleep for free :D

Seriously, its my new favorite place to get away to for those things you mentioned.

If the right deal comes about where I can find a clean one like CT's Dad found and build it I'll go that route. Otherwise I'd like to at least have a lift, 33's & lockers that someone has already spent the dough on.

LMAO

ROZ

Reaction score
Throw in a $10 diy hand throttle and call it a day :thumbup:

I have lq4 plans with a 4l60e , but will run the hand throttle until it happens.

For those who don't know its like a lockout trigger that attaches to your shifter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

D

Deleted Account

I'd like to run Mottino again. I guess part of the trail is on private property so it's not being run much anymore?

[video=youtube;FqjA8kha35U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqjA8kha35U[/video]

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I have lq4 plans with a 4l60e , but will run the hand throttle until it happens.

For those who don't know its like a lockout trigger that attaches to your shifter.

Nice setup!!!!

Do you have the bike shifter or cessna style throttle?

Hammer

Reaction score
Nobody's jacking anything Hambone, this is some good ol' jeep bench racing. Didn't know there was such a thing lol

Lol . Noted. I may go explore The Rubicon trail tommorrow in the full size . :thumbup:

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
Not hammering in it...noted:D

You're correct I will go out of my way to avoid body damage. Underside,bumpers and rails get used. My rig is just an average quality build. Nothing special when compared to a coil over bypass set up like bobs. We will see where the hobby takes me when its paid off in 4+ years. I don't want to go bigger or bladder while daily driving it 70 miles a day:)

I don't blame you that's a lot of coin to thrash ....
That being said, you do have full coverage :D

ROZ

Reaction score
I don't know what I can add to the thread over what's been posted already. They're very a capable family rig...

3-4" lift, 33's, and lockers gets you almost anywhere. The wheelbase at 102" really helps. Trimming the fenders and front inner seam will give you more room to stuff the tires..

Things look for? 92 and up gets you open cooling, non renix HO motor(more performance parts avail) , and an aw4 or AX15 w/external slave. I think the much later models have a metal hatch.

Unibody:

If you're lucky, someone installed frame stiffners before they seriously wheeled it. Most popular are by HD, TnT, and Ruffstuff Specialties, but people do make their own by plating the frame with 3/16 . If you're worried about if the rig has been flexed out too much to many times, look for cracks where the lcas and leaf perches are on the frame, doors that are way out of alignment, and cracked hatches at the bottom edge of the hatch window (fiberglass hatch).

Also look at where the steering box mounts. The bolt holes can get wollowed out after a lot of wheeling. It may have a steering box reinforcement kit installed. Thats good. If it doesn't and you dont plan to plate the frame, get one. They're cheap insurance.

As with any used car purchase, make sure steering and brakes are in good condition.

The later models will have D35(3/8drive plug) or 8.25(rubber plug) out back.
The 8.25 has larger axle shafts. Stronger. You may find one on occasion that someone stuffed a D44 or 8.8 . I think the 8.8 axle tubes are thicker wall.

The nve231 transfer case is strong. Its possible you may find one that has been upgraded to 4:1 crawl ratio nv241or terra low.

Front D30 is strong. Buy(on craigslist often) a long shaft for a spare. 92-99 is non vac disconnect and high pinion. After 99 is low pinion and pre 92 have vac disconnect axle engagement(long inner shaft is 2piece), but there are ways around this...

I'd arb/ox lock the front and grizzley lock (keep cost down) the rear on a street rig.

Be sure to check out websites like Naxja. Org, reno4x4, cherokeeforums, and pirate4x4( has Cherokee hardcore and nonhardcore sections) The pirate hardcore section has a mission statement thread. Check it out for killer topic of the month threads. From xjs on tons full body , comp cuts, to chuggies. Its a wealth of info that's all there.

Also check out ericsxj.com. he's the guy who wrote the book " Jeep Cherokee builders guide". Good refrence. He has a new one cominh out soon as well.

I like mine the way it is now, but ill love it this time next year if all goes as planned..

Chuggies are rad:D

Buy onr. Youll love it :D

Last edited:

ROZ

Reaction score
Nice setup!!!!

Do you have the bike shifter or cessna style throttle?

Rubicon Express (thumb) was 40.. offroad only grip n go was 100..

I'm cheap.:D

I'll tell you how well it works after it's installed. Jeeps at the river :D

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I don't know what I can add to the thread over what's been posted already. They're very a capable family rig...

3-4" lift, 33's, and lockers gets you almost anywhere. The wheelbase at 102" really helps. Trimming the fenders and front inner seam will give you more room to stuff the tires..

Things look for? 92 and up gets you open cooling, non renix HO motor(more performance parts avail) , and an aw4 or AX15 w/external slave. I think the much later models have a metal hatch.

Unibody:

If you're lucky, someone installed frame stiffners before they seriously wheeled it. Most popular are by HD, TnT, and Ruffstuff Specialties, but people do make their own by plating the frame with 3/16 . If you're worried about if the rig has been flexed out too much to many times, look for cracks where the lcas and leaf perches are on the frame, doors that are way out of alignment, and cracked hatches at the bottom edge of the hatch window (fiberglass hatch).

Also look at where the steering box mounts. The bolt holes can get wollowed out after a lot of wheeling. It may have a steering box reinforcement kit installed. Thats good. If it doesn't and you dont plan to plate the frame, get one. They're cheap insurance.

As with any used car purchase, make sure steering and brakes are in good condition.

The later models will have D35(3/8drive plug) or 8.25(rubber plug) out back.
The 8.25 has larger axle shafts. Stronger. You may find one on occasion that someone stuffed a D44 or 8.8 . I think the 8.8 axle tubes are thicker wall.

The nve231 transfer case is strong. Its possible you may find one that has been upgraded to 4:1 crawl ratio nv241or terra low.

Front D30 is strong. Buy(on craigslist often) a long shaft for a spare. 92-99 is non vac disconnect and high pinion. After 99 is low pinion and pre 92 have vac disconnect axle engagement(long inner shaft is 2piece), but there are ways around this...

I'd arb/ox lock the front and grizzley lock (keep cost down) the rear on a street rig.

Be sure to check out websites like Naxja. Org, reno4x4, cherokeeforums, and pirate4x4( has Cherokee hardcore and nonhardcore sections) The pirate hardcore section has a mission statement thread. Check it out for killer topic of the month threads. From xjs on tons full body , comp cuts, to chuggies. Its a wealth of info that's all there.

Also check out ericsxj.com. he's the guy who wrote the book " Jeep Cherokee builders guide". Good refrence. He has a new one cominh out soon as well.

I like mine the way it is now, but ill love it this time next year if all goes as planned..

Chuggies are rad:D

Buy onr. Youll love it :D

Thanks Roz, great info :thumbsup

Did you post pics of yours?

ROZ

Reaction score
Currently uploadfromtaptalk1382024979351.jpg

I bring it home from river January to go under the knife, errr, sawzall ;)

I need to have the new drivetrain(shaved D60 front, ax15, flippedD300, shaved 14bolt) installed by mid July for the silver state jamboree.

It will resemble these when done
uploadfromtaptalk1382025474883.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1382025507733.jpg

Blue is better, right river? :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Currently View attachment 297539

I bring it home from river January to go under the knife, errr, sawzall ;)

I need to have the new drivetrain(shaved D60 front, ax15, flippedD300, shaved 14bolt) installed by mid July for the silver state jamboree.

It will resemble these when done
View attachment 297540 View attachment 297541

Blue is better, right river? :D

Are you going to keep the doors on?

I like the buggy style set up but its cold up in the mountains and the heater and windows are nice..lol

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'd like to run Mottino again. I guess part of the trail is on private property so it's not being run much anymore?

[video=youtube;FqjA8kha35U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqjA8kha35U[/video]

Looks like a good trail...

That 2 door makes things look really hard...lol

ROZ

Reaction score
Are you going to keep the doors on?

I like the buggy style set up but its cold up in the mountains and the heater and windows are nice..lol

I haven't decided whether or not to keep the doors for the same reason. Heated twisted stitch seats and aftermarket heater for rear passengers may hrlp :D

I modified the bottom of the door hinges and trimmed up the door pins making my doors removable.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I haven't decided whether or not to keep the doors for the same reason. Heated twisted stitch seats and aftermarket heater for rear passengers may hrlp :D

I modified the bottom of the door hinges and trimmed up the door pins making my doors removable.

Keep it that way....

Seat heaters help but its still cold...lol