WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Scuba diving around the island by site 6

Boat 405

Reaction score
Anyone dove around there. I lost something that is worth diving for over the weekend. I have all my gear, just wondering what to expect in about 30 feet of water about 100 yards off shore

Visibility? I'm gonna go saturday morning if anyone cares to join, and so I'm not diving solo. It's not too deep but still deep enough to get yourself in trouble if you are solo diving.

sintax

Reaction score
Always best to not dive solo, even if it’s just someone to keep some eyes topside, and make sure you fly the proper flag.

Sorry I can’t offer any more input, I have done some inland lakes, and visibility is usually your enemy. Do you have a metal detector? I assume you’re after something metallic.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a buddy that doesn't dive that is going to stay in the boat and I've got a flag, thank god it's not in front of site six, just a ways down in front of the islander so boat traffic shouldn't be to bad at 7 or 8 am. Put it this way, I have two tanks of air and the right equipment to find it. If I come up empty so be it, but I I'm kinda curious of two things,

What is down there in that area? and what else will I find... LOL I absolutely hate those fish habitat crates, they creep me out.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have a couple of friends that might want to go with you. They will be doing clean up in the channel where the added docks were wendsday afternoon.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Havent dove in that exact area but havasu is fun to dive. Early morning as the wind/chop stirs up the mud pretty easily and visibility gets slim to none. Try to stay away from the bottom so you don’t disturb it too much. We find anchors, ropes, glasses, and a LOT of beer cans sadly.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I have a couple of friends that might want to go with you. They will be doing clean up in the channel where the added docks were wendsday afternoon.
Send me a DM if they want to go. I'm thinking earlier the better. I'm launching from Windsor.

Last edited:

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Go try in steamboat, my anchor was down there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
That was a great video.... looked like they found 3-4 boats in 45 minute dive.... one looked pretty large too. I dunno, maybe 75' depth? As all PADI divers know, never dive solo no matter where..... you'll be in current and from the looks of it there's stuff down there lol. Happy hunting.... hope there's a few Rolex waiting!

bradscott48

Reaction score
My buddy is fishing in a bass tournament Friday and Saturday. They leave from site 6.... just a heads up.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
The biggest thing in Havasu is once you get about 8’ feet below the surface the water temps drastically go down especially before summer. (Like Ice Water) Hopefully you have a good suit.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
On a Saturday morning........ where dozens of people are launching???????
That has disaster written all over it.
At leaat at that time boaters are sober...... hopefully. You have and use a dive flag right?
Not that most boaters know what that means.
From the shore or a boat ?
Have someone on shore keeping an eye out.
Been many accidents with divers coming up under a passing boater.....
Whats your life worth ?

Sherpa

Reaction score
Sound underwater carries big time.. you can hear boats moving from a long ways away... coming up under a moving boat I think would be a diver not paying attention.

-Sherpa

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Go try in steamboat, my anchor was down there

There is a tree submerged across from the bathroom/ wall that has snagged many anchors.
Havasu search/rescue has practiced there to train around that tree, heard it’s over 60’ deep at some point.

Taboma

Reaction score
There have been videos posted of things around that area, site 5.

I wonder how Site 5 came to be named that ? Since officially AAF Site # 5 was Topock, would seem the divers just made it up, in order to call their little dive bay something.

77charger

Reaction score
Morning would be best as far as visibility I’ve seen others will use a float attached to them while diving so that others know they are below.

I use to take my gear often came in handy once when I tossed out anchor and noticed rope wasn’t attached. 🙈

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
That was a great video.... looked like they found 3-4 boats in 45 minute dive.... one looked pretty large too. I dunno, maybe 75' depth? As all PADI divers know, never dive solo no matter where..... you'll be in current and from the looks of it there's stuff down there lol. Happy hunting.... hope there's a few Rolex waiting!

PADI offers a solo course called “Self-Reliant Diver” 🤷🏻‍♂️

Boat 405

Reaction score
I've only dove in the Caribbean, must have been the clear warm water that spoiled me...
I agree after diving in 300 ft plus visibility and 85 degree water it definitely spoils you for anything else

Boat 405

Reaction score
On a Saturday morning........ where dozens of people are launching???????
That has disaster written all over it.
At leaat at that time boaters are sober...... hopefully. You have and use a dive flag right?
Not that most boaters know what that means.
From the shore or a boat ?
Have someone on shore keeping an eye out.
Been many accidents with divers coming up under a passing boater.....
Whats your life worth ?
It’s not that close to site 6. It’s down quite a ways by the islander. And yes a spotter in the boat with flag

Boat 405

Reaction score
The biggest thing in Havasu is once you get about 8’ feet below the surface the water temps drastically go down especially before summer. (Like Ice Water) Hopefully you have a good suit.
I do. 7/6/5 suit. I’ve gone down in 48 degree water with it. A hood is key

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
I've seen "Piranha!!" NFW you'd catch me under that water! Or anywhere for that matter, I get claustrophobic snorkeling. I saw a video on here a while ago, looked like there was a mail jeep on the floor somewhere in Havasu too.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I've seen "Piranha!!" NFW you'd catch me under that water! Or anywhere for that matter, I get claustrophobic snorkeling. I saw a video on here a while ago, looked like there was a mail jeep on the floor somewhere in Havasu too.
It’s been picked apart to just the body left now lol.
Havi Dive club zip tied a plastic skeleton to a lawn chair once and left it there.
Pic got on social media and after a bunch of Karens complained (no idea why?), the skeleton was removed

I want to attend the public safety dive class in Laughlin one day,
They do a river sweep during it and loaded coin cups have been found dropped off the water taxi’s
Good stuff lol

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Supposedly there are remnants of the little town that was here before the lake was flooded, trees and abadoned buildings.

Mikes56

Reaction score
If you end up diving by yourself, with someone that stays on the boat, at least tie a line to yourself and have the line tender in the boat keep an eye on you that way. You will be able to follow the line back to the boat, so you don’t surface in open water and get run over. Talk about line pull signaling before you get in the water, in case there’s a problem.

I retired as a Public Safety Dive for LASD, so I do kinda know what I’m talking about.

2Driver

Reaction score
We are Padi divers, the kid has done the search and rescue and advanced course too. We mostly free dive the lake and have successfully located a few items for people. We dove, copper, steamboat, a shelf off the springs and the river in Topok and below parker.

It was way harder to locate the items than I thought even though we were fairly sure where they were. Both items were expensive glasses and it took a half hour to find them. Your item could be partially buried in muck like paul’s glasses were. Everything is one muted color and its fairly mucky but April and May we found to be clearest times. Sun up high is best but you can’t wait till mid day. Take a strong light it will help (if particulate is low) and a dive knife ( a guy I knew got caught on a lure and the line was wrapped on a tree) Except for an occasional tree and fish habitats in coves the bottom is pretty void. Hopefully it’s not where they dump the xmas trees.

Id try to plan out a search grid using a compass and kick strokes or else you just end up all over the place. We found that not all boaters see or even know what a dive flag is. We had one guy drive right over our dive group and stop to get his kids ready to go tubing, I almost killed him. You know how close people come to you when you are out floating so plan your accent accordingly. Hope I wasn too captain obvious :) Personally Id go mid week, wish we were there Id love to go.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
We are Padi divers, the kid has done the search and rescue and advanced course too. We mostly free dive the lake and have successfully located a few items for people. We dove, copper, steamboat, a shelf off the springs and the river in Topok and below parker.

It was way harder to locate the items than I thought even though we were fairly sure where they were. Both items were expensive glasses and it took a half hour to find them. Your item could be partially buried in muck like paul’s glasses were. Everything is one muted color and its fairly mucky but April and May we found to be clearest times. Sun up high is best but you can’t wait till mid day. Take a strong light it will help (if particulate is low) and a dive knife ( a guy I knew got caught on a lure and the line was wrapped on a tree) Except for an occasional tree and fish habitats in coves the bottom is pretty void. Hopefully it’s not where they dump the xmas trees.

Id try to plan out a search grid using a compass and kick strokes or else you just end up all over the place. We found that not all boaters see or even know what a dive flag is. We had one guy drive right over our dive group and stop to get his kids ready to go tubing, I almost killed him. You know how close people come to you when you are out floating so plan your accent accordingly. Hope I wasn too captain obvious :) Personally Id go mid week, wish we were there Id love to go.
All about the kick stokes, grid search, and not augering into the bottom to stir crap up.

What we practice most on monthly dives: grid search and buoyancy (not disturbing the bottom)

sintax

Reaction score
All about the kick stokes, grid search, and not augering into the bottom to stir crap up.

What we practice most on monthly dives: grid search and buoyancy (not disturbing the bottom)

no kidding, once you do that you might as well just go home because your day is over.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
We found that not all boaters see or even know what a dive flag is. We had one guy drive right over our dive group and stop to get his kids ready to go tubing, I almost killed him.

I learned what a diver down flag was from Van Halen. I've only seen one diver flag out on the lake (Mohave).

Dan'l

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I know of two Mavic drones at Newport harbor entrance in only 25' water lol..... tough learning curve on those puppies landing on moving boats. We dove in right after but I gotta say drones sink like bricks you threw in water.

Sherpa

Reaction score
Or the beauty of diving Monterey! 95% of my dives are between 48-55 degree waters...

-Sherpa

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
My son and I did 35' "snuba" in Hawaii in clear water. Kind of freaked me out being that far down and looking up and seeing how far the surface was. Enjoyed seeing the fish and turtles though.