WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sea Dek vs Gatorstep vs Marine Mat ?

Mike K

Reaction score
I know this was covered a year or two ago ... but I’m thinking about the “snap-in” type. Not too much info on the snap in style. I’m gonna do it this winter ... but I need to get contact info for Havasu. I know RD was thinking about going into biz with this idea. For sure the way of the future. Can anyone help out with their experiences from 2018 or 2019 ?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I am about to order gatorstep still looking at colors. They are having a 20% off this month. I believe all the material is the same.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I talk to a boater / member and he just had 2 years on the new gator step stuff...he said he liked it , not overly impressed but it still was as hot as carpet ...
Just my .01

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

warlock250

Reaction score
The problem I found with the snaps is that the product thickness does not allow the snaps to hold on when the rivet them basically to the mat material. So my snaps always seem. To break off and come apart. Maybe there's a better and longer center section of snap styles to use so they don't come apart.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mike K

Reaction score
I think we r still at the infancy stage of this type of product. I don’t want to spend $1000 for the stick on kind ... when maybe in another year or so the snap in type will be the better choice. Nothing lasts forever and I sure don’t want to have to try to scrape out a damaged or stained piece. I’ll do some more research and see what I can find out about the future of snap in Sea Dek etc. thank you .

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I think we r still at the infancy stage of this type of product. I don’t want to spend $1000 for the stick on kind ... when maybe in another year or so the snap in type will be the better choice. Nothing lasts forever and I sure don’t want to have to try to scrape out a damaged or stained piece. I’ll do some more research and see what I can find out about the future of snap in Sea Dek etc. thank you .

we here are in the infancy of this stuff, the east coast CC boaters have been doing it a lot longer than we have, so I feel pretty good about and will be ordering mine next week.

Singleton

Reaction score

I talked to SeaDek about that 2 years ago. At that time they said, they had no plans to do a snap in type deal, due to the backing material.

MrsVP

Reaction score
I talk to a boater / member and he just had 2 years on the new gator step stuff...he said he liked it , not overly impressed but it still was as hot as carpet ...
Just my .01

That was my exact question, how hot is it.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
can it get hot yes. is it instantly cooled by water. yes

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken Sea Deck and Gatorstep are the same 3m product. They are just two different companies with different styling and different products from the standpoint of what they are ordering.

The way they make the stuff is you pick a color and then a substrate color. In some cases they might order them three thick to provide a thicker matte and two substrate colors etc.

I know one of them has a glue that you could remove in the future (how that holds up over time I don’t know) and the other was a permanent install.

I haven’t seen marine matte yet but someone told me it doesn’t get as hot.

This industry is exploding though and none of these guys can keep this stuff in stock or make it fast enough.

Mitch from SCWake came by my house to do some small projects for me on my Hallett and My Schiada (as well as my office)

F6919E8F-DFA8-4D19-AC4C-D27DB13AF57E.jpeg
BA1629F4-5D02-4FCB-8D8A-2A1D382441BF.jpeg
E073B55A-66F5-440D-A978-4B6B5D1282E0.jpeg
AC01EC64-3513-4FEE-9438-014D04A2CDD8.jpeg
33ABABF4-2792-40C1-A2D5-BFE814A52937.jpeg
ECD2B79C-B685-4B87-AF98-E8E83D1640AD.jpeg

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Gator Step on left, Seadek on right. The machining on the SeaDek is slightly finer however, quality on both is similar.

One of our lines uses Gator and the other uses SeaDek. Honestly six of one half dozen the other.

Grey is pretty cool under foot but the teak color (called Mocha by SeaDek) gets hot if the boat sits in one spot baking under the sun.

20190826_143336.jpg

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Got any marine matte?

No sorry. Although I have seen the eva foam version in person though at the boat show in Florida. It was similar to the above two I mentioned. I think they are all similar.

Not sure if the others are doing it, but Gator is offering a ton of colors now (green, blue etc).

milkmoney

Reaction score
That was my exact question, how hot is it.
I wouldn't know. Just said hot like carpet is all....sorry couldn't be more help....it was just in conversation looking at his boat