WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SEAT BASE - GELCOAT-RESIN-or OIL BASED PAINT???

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
IMG_6682.JPG
IMG_6683.JPG
IMG_6681.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG
I have my Citation rear seat base rebuilt. What should I seal it with? Was resin originally. I've seen resin flake off. Lookin for input.
Thanks!

Last edited:

lenmann

Reaction score
Polyester resin thinned 10% with styrene brushed or rolled on is what every boat builder and upholstery shop that still uses wood will seal it with. Good for 10-20+ years depending on how the boat is stored and taken care of.

oldseddie

Reaction score
I used oil based urethane thinned 50% with mineral sprits for the first coat and straight up for the second coat. Still looked good 15 years later with no degradation. Color matched looks better than bare wood with resin IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Next question: I copied the original then thought about draining through to the rear bilge. This thing sits on the carpet with little drainage and no ventilation.
The last one failed from the top due poor prior storage.
Am I over thinking???
No outside storage in this boats future.

cofooter

Reaction score
Totalboat product is good, epoxy will be a little more flexible than poly but more expensive. You can thin cheap epoxy down with acetone, be sure to cover all exposed surfaces if you choose that route. Thinned urethane will work just as good if it isn't exposed to constant moisture often. Is it bolted to the floor or removable? I'd be more worried about moisture under it on the carpet if that's the case. Just take it out when in the garage and let everything air out if possible.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I
Totalboat product is good, epoxy will be a little more flexible than poly but more expensive. You can thin cheap epoxy down with acetone, be sure to cover all exposed surfaces if you choose that route. Thinned urethane will work just as good if it isn't exposed to constant moisture often. Is it bolted to the floor or removable? I'd be more worried about moisture under it on the carpet if that's the case. Just take it out when in the garage and let everything air out if possible.

It's bolted in. The wood against the carpet IS the issue. Plus no real way for the water to run to the back. Was thinkin I should have made it a little shorter with risers that would let the water run past but then the subwoofer box wouldn't fit fml.
My CDO continues (it used to be OCD but the letters were not in alphabetical order)
The first base lasted 20 plus years. The last of which were outside which in the end killed it.
I'm thinking I might have it truck bed lined.

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
Is the floor wood or composite? Either way, I would look at some sort of air gap if possible.