WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Self-driving Tesla crashes and burns for hours

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My wife didnt get the autopilot on hers. Its a $10,000 option, although you can download the option anytime through your phone app, the charge goes to your bank account and your car updates sitting in the garage over your home wifi.

I knew a kid that drove to Havasu and watched movies, he would hang an ankle work out weight on the steering wheel to simulate the required driver presence.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I was told from my Hazmateers (Sta. 95 and JHAT)
That the litter and powder both work good but the powder does better for flare ups after tamping down.

I went with powder , has never flared up.....,yet lol
Makes sense! We had to have litter for shipping acids that didnt like typical packing absorbents for our lab packs so that was always our go too. I've worked all over but the bad shit was always from Naval Station China Lake. We were not used as full on ER mostly dealt with the chemicals that were brought into the Waste facility and processed/packed them for shipment and disposal. I was prepared for shit to go wrong but it was not a given. In you're situations most of time i would guess shit has already gone wrong or has a huge potential to go wrong. If someone told me something puts out a fire 1 second quicker than another product, I'd be taking it lol.

sintax

Reaction score
I knew a kid that drove to Havasu and watched movies, he would hang an ankle work out weight on the steering wheel to simulate the required driver presence.

which route does he take? I gotta make sure I take the other route from now on

Taboma

Reaction score
40, he said the ankle weight thing is quite popular.

That's what my son had told me as well, thanks to the internet of course.
Company can spend millions trying to perfect "stupidity prevention nannies", no matter, we'll gladly take up that challenge as defeating those and proving we're smarter than machine, becomes priority # 1. 👍 Thusly going full circle as proof of it's original necessity. 😁

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Fine, they can kill themselves, I could care, the problem is how many of us are they going to take out with them playing these games ??????????

Ask the programmers that made the autonomous driving software. They are the ones that program in who the car chooses to kill and who the car chooses to let live.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Ask the programmers that made the autonomous driving software. They are the ones that program in who the car chooses to kill and who the car chooses to let live.

I bet they don't come anywhere near my Superduty. You half ton guys on the other hand, you're probably right up there with the Prius drivers!

😁

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Concrete powder works good
I carry a bag in my Bomb truck now after several scooter batteries have ignited during render safe pricedures
Lithium ION burns very hot, water and air basically enhance the burn.
Ive witnessed enough of the smaller ones burning to be the last guy to own an EV
Are talking fly ash? Or is this powder just nicknamed concrete power? That is some really good info.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Turns out that there's more BS to the fire story.

“With respect to the fire fight, unfortunately, those rumors grew way out of control. It did not take us four hours to put out the blaze. Our guys got there and put down the fire within two to three minutes, enough to see the vehicle had occupants. After that, it was simply cooling the car as the batteries continued to have a chain reaction due to damage.

“We could not tear it apart or move it around to get ‘final extinguishment’ because the fact that we had two bodies in there and it was then an investigation-slash-crime scene. We had to keep it cool, were on scene for four hours, but we were simply pouring a little bit of water on it. It was not because flames were coming out. It was a reaction in the battery pan. It was not an active fire,” Buck said.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Turns out that there's more BS to the fire story.

“With respect to the fire fight, unfortunately, those rumors grew way out of control. It did not take us four hours to put out the blaze. Our guys got there and put down the fire within two to three minutes, enough to see the vehicle had occupants. After that, it was simply cooling the car as the batteries continued to have a chain reaction due to damage.

“We could not tear it apart or move it around to get ‘final extinguishment’ because the fact that we had two bodies in there and it was then an investigation-slash-crime scene. We had to keep it cool, were on scene for four hours, but we were simply pouring a little bit of water on it. It was not because flames were coming out. It was a reaction in the battery pan. It was not an active fire,” Buck said.
that is more like it. glad they are better equipped than initial flawed reporting.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Are talking fly ash? Or is this powder just nicknamed concrete power? That is some really good info.
anything noncombustible will serve to deny the material access to air, the source for oxidation of the battery combustants. Sand would work too, it is just kind of grainy compared to powdery stuff like SiO2 and fly ash and cement powder. the intital story claimed use of water, but that seems a no-no when batteries of any kind are involved...I was sure that most often Halon is prescribed.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Driver jumped into the backseat during a joyride and somehow made the "autopilot" driver presence inputs artificially. Sound like driver is at fault. I have a Tesla, no way in hell I would trust the "autopilot" feature beyond just being an adaptive cruise control, the Tesla system fucks up more than my Ram truck ACC.
1618929011211.png

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
What a way to go out , Trapped inside a f*kin rolling microwave convection oven , guess they wont need to cremate

Taboma

Reaction score
Since so many Teslas have tinted windows so I won't be able to tell if the driver is conscious or napping, I'm considering treating them Offensively, vs defensively.
I'm not sure how good their accident avoidance is, but let's say if I attempt to ram one from the ass-end, will it suddenly accelerate away from me ? Or let me hit it ?
Either way, this might jar the driver back to being more attentive ? 🤔
If a good bump or attempted bump doesn't help, I can always try harder, pit maneuver as a last resort. I mean I'm allowed to protect myself and my others, right ? 😁

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Since so many Teslas have tinted windows so I won't be able to tell if the driver is conscious or napping, I'm considering treating them Offensively, vs defensively.
I'm not sure how good their accident avoidance is, but let's say if I attempt to ram one from the ass-end, will it suddenly accelerate away from me ? Or let me hit it ?
Either way, this might jar the driver back to being more attentive ? 🤔
If a good bump or attempted bump doesn't help, I can always try harder, pit maneuver as a last resort. I mean I'm allowed to protect myself and my others, right ? 😁
It will accelerate or take evasive actions if you try and slam one from behind. Also the video data from the 360 degree cameras is stored on a memory card so you can hand it over to the police.

Taboma

Reaction score
It will accelerate or take evasive actions if you try and slam one from behind. Also the video data from the 360 degree cameras is stored on a memory card so you can hand it over to the police.

So better to just throw my beer at him or her ? :oops: 😂

jones performance

Reaction score
That's what my son had told me as well, thanks to the internet of course.
Company can spend millions trying to perfect "stupidity prevention nannies", no matter, we'll gladly take up that challenge as defeating those and proving we're smarter than machine, becomes priority # 1. 👍 Thusly going full circle as proof of it's original necessity. 😁

when they think they made it foolproof...