WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Selling a AZ registered car in Calif, what do I need to know?

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
When I was a calif resident, I sold many cars, now I’m an AZ res. Looks like I need a notery? My loan is still with a calif credit union, anything wierd to deal with there? Will they send me a calif pink slip, or, something else that AZ does?

Cdog

Reaction score
Just get the title notarized and sell it. Remember to cancel your registration and keep your plate. I just received $140 registration rebate on my BMW I sold. All done online at Azdot.gov

Easy!

whipple charged

Reaction score
if you have a California title it does not need to be notarized to register in Arizona..
Arizona titles need to be notarized..

sirbob

Reaction score
Make sure the check clears before giving or signing the title over.

boatpi

Reaction score
If it's an Arizona title and sold in California with intentions of being registered in California Arizona title does not need to be notarized that's an Arizona requirement not for California.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Just get the title notarized and sell it. Remember to cancel your registration and keep your plate. I just received $140 registration rebate on my BMW I sold. All done online at Azdot.gov

Easy!
So do I and the new owner have to go to the notary? Im bringing it back to calif, selling to a California resident

boatpi

Reaction score
No one has to go to a notary if it's sold and registered in California

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
AZ uses notary because they don't use a bill of sale

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
It's not that difficult.
Any bank can notarize the title.
A notary just checks your ID and 'noterizes' that you signed the title.
NBAZ notarizes for free.

Dan'l

Cdog

Reaction score
So do I and the new owner have to go to the notary? Im bringing it back to calif, selling to a California resident

I would since it’s an AZ title. I did when I sold our escalade years ago to a guy from corona. Wells fargo will do it for free.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
you might have smog issues if it wan't originally a 50 state car

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score
And as the seller I believe you are responsible for a CA smog within 90 days and I don't think it matters that the car isn't currently registered here.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
You don't have to wait until you have a buyer. As soon as you know you are going to sell a vehicle or a boat with a trailer, go get you seller signature notorized on the title. Once you find a buyer nad have the payment in hand give up the title. Nothing is more annoying as a buyer as standing there with the agreed amount of cash in your hand and the seller hasn't notorized the title. It's a total deal killer....

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
You don't have to wait until you have a buyer. As soon as you know you are going to sell a vehicle or a boat with a trailer, go get you seller signature notorized on the title. Once you find a buyer nad have the payment in hand give up the title. Nothing is more annoying as a buyer as standing there with the agreed amount of cash in your hand and the seller hasn't notorized the title. It's a total deal killer....
So only I as the seller needs notarized?
Anybody know of one in havasu I can visit this Saturday?

Groper

Reaction score
Last week I went into MVD with a OHV Ca. Title to transfer ownership to myself in AZ, the current seller never registered the said vehicle in his or her names nor did the previous owner. So that makes me the new third owner :confused:
I was told at MVD to either present a AZ BOS (yes Az does have a Bill of Sale in some cases) have it notarized by the previous owner(s) that filled in the space where "New Owner " is stated or have the vehicle inspected and post a bond at my expense.
I tracked down the previous seller whom filled in the space as the "New Reg." to sign off on a Ca. BOS, now I can register in CA. for one year then I'll register the vehicle in AZ, people fng suck :mad:

Edited due to the fact that this situation is so confusing that I confused myself while typing :eek:

Last edited:

boatpi

Reaction score
Let me make this clear because there seems to be some confusion understanding that I have worked with the California DMV for over 30 years

Any title surrendered to the California DMV does not require a notary California as a non-notary state where as Arizona is.

It doesn't matter what the title says notary or not it's a requirement or in this case the nine requirement of California.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
So only I as the seller needs notarized?
Anybody know of one in havasu I can visit this Saturday?

Yes.... when I am selling something I Sign the sellers box in front of a notary and put the title in my safe. I suppose if you change your mind and don’t sell it that you could request a new title from the mvd if you don’t like it signed. If it was a real expensive vehicle you might want to wait and slow down the sale by getting it notarized after you have a buyer. But if you want to close a deal on the spot with cash on something like a 15k toy of some sort, have your ducks in row with the signed/notorized title, count the hundred dollar bills and send the buyer down the road.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Ok
I don’t have a title, the credit union in calif still has that. I talked to Az dot, the nice woman told me to download 48-2004, Az bill of sale, have my signature notarized, take the guys money and hand him the bill of sale. I then go towww.servicearizona.com and release interest in the vehicle, she says that will release me from liability. The new owner can take that bos to cadmv to get a temp registration as we wait for my cu to send me the pink, it will be a ca pink says, Az dot. I sign the back hand it to the new owner, done deal.
thank boatpi for your input, but I already got it notarized, and for $15, it don’t matta.
Now all I have to do, is bring it back to calif and count dead presidents, if this guy falls through, I’m not gonna be happy, but all seems on the up and up.