WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Selling a Boat: Best place Here, Craigslist, or Boat Trader?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Not that I would ever put a "For Sale" post in the lounge, but just in case, where would all the inmates think the best place to advertise this 1998 24ft Cheetah Fast Cat, stock 7.4 Merc with 640ish hours, Bravo 1 Outdrive with a 22p prop, full cover and oversized bimini... would be? And, if I were trying to sell this boat do you think only one picture would suffice? Or should there be multiple pics? And given the market, do you think 22k - 23kish price is reasonable for this boat and the possibility of test drives at Elsinore? Overall gel and interior at at about an 7 - 8, not a show boat, but a ton of fun with the family or large group of friends.

I don't know, I'm kind of stumped. Maybe I should have just called up Steve for his advice on selling stuff. 😂
boat 16.jpg
boat 8.jpg

Last edited:

fmo24

Reaction score
Your off to good start. Put an ad on here with pictures of good and bad. Price seems to be a crap shoot anymore.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I Hate to say it but the other FB web site has lots of traffic. Market place also, CL, cheetah if they have site or insta..

Reactions: t&y

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Facebook marketplace is more popular then Craigslist now.

When I was selling my toy hauler I hadvery Little exposure from it and the people I did get were terrible.. ended up going to a friend of a friend that heard about it through the grapevine..

nameisbond

Reaction score
When I was selling my toy hauler I hadvery Little exposure from it and the people I did get were terrible.. ended up going to a friend of a friend that heard about it through the grapevine..

That's weird. Here things sell fast on it. I like you can see sellers and buyers profiles. Because of that here, it seems more serious. Find Craigslist is the place for scammers and flakes.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I also hear offer up is a good place.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Here and FB is where I would list. Wouldn't mess with craigslist or boat trader. Whip Trader Classifieds, The Original Powerboat Swap Shop and Lower River Junkies are a couple of sites I would start with. You are in the ball park with your price and should move it quick.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I've had good luck selling boats and other stuff on this site.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
FB MP is the go to for online sales at this point. Just be prepared to be bombared with questions like "is it still available?" "will you take a miata on trade?" etc... lots of lookey loos. But thats where the bulk of the traffic is going to be. This site I'm sure would be good, just realize the majority of people join a boating website because they already have boats.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Wanna buy the Carrera back?!?!?!

Having bought t&y's last boat, I can give 👍👍 to the seller, good honest people!

traquer

Reaction score
Interesting responses. My go-to is always craigslist, that's where I bought my M3 and sold it a few months ago. Same for the boat and jetskies transactions but those were years ago. I have only been on offer up once, and I don't use FB much besides chatting and business. Good to know maybe I should try them

gqchris

Reaction score
Your off to good start. Put an ad on here with pictures of good and bad. Price seems to be a crap shoot anymore.

He already did place his ad:) It should be sold by the weekend! Anything vaguely familiar to a sport boat is selling in 2-5 days.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
if i list on CL i normally buy a "burner" phone and use it only for that, cuts down on your primary phone ringing at 2 in the morning. i normally put a couple pics in the add, and then make sure to say i can take pics of anything specific anyone needs.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yet nobody asks...

Whatcha' getting? None of us sell without having another picked out 😏

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
if i list on CL i normally buy a "burner" phone and use it only for that, cuts down on your primary phone ringing at 2 in the morning. i normally put a couple pics in the add, and then make sure to say i can take pics of anything specific anyone needs.
There are apps for 2nd numbers that you can delete. I use it everything in buying/selling anything.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

just use google voice...

MeCasa16

Reaction score
The 24' enclosed trailer I just sold got the most hits off craigslist. Although most were definitely scams or lowballs, the full price buyer also came from there.

hawgty55

Reaction score
I like the tactic on this thread but dont you list on every site you can for the most exposure like everyone else? I mean if you dont want to sell it do what you just did on this thread and leave it at that.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Boat trader, two pictures for two weeks for $60 got me the most responses. Facebook marketplace and craigslist also got responses.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Wanna buy the Carrera back?!?!?!

Having bought t&y's last boat, I can give 👍👍 to the seller, good honest people!
I thought I would have the time to use it I'd be all over that Carrera. Thank you for the kind words.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Yet nobody asks...

Whatcha' getting? None of us sell without having another picked out 😏
At this point the money would go to finishing my other projects. Only reason I'm considering selling it is we have put 2 hours on it over the last 2 years with no trips planned for this season.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I’ve been doing all my buying and selling on OfferUp. .

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I’ve been doing all my buying and selling on OfferUp. .

Offer up with my experience is basically an ordered up robbery. 😂 Of course I have a bit of a jaded view on the issue, but nothing is out of the realm of possibility. This weekend is the decision to get serious about selling it or just keep it like all my other toys.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Offer up with my experience is basically an ordered up robbery. 😂 Of course I have a bit of a jaded view on the issue, but nothing is out of the realm of possibility. This weekend is the decision to get serious about selling it or just keep it like all my other toys.

I have over 100 buy and sells from household items, gym equipment to vehicles. Never a problem.

jones performance

Reaction score
it depends on your physical location, in the inland empire offer up is really good, here in havasu it isnt worth a shit. facebook marketplace and specific buy and sell groups has been pretty good for me on what i do, so has craigslist for everyday items. craigslist charging for vehicle ads now sucks as a buyer just looking around for a good deal or a specific vehicle for sale. also as a seller i feel paying for a cl ad (granted is 5 bucks) has created a smaller audience of potential buyers since most vehicle ads are from dealers.

overall if its priced correctly it will sell.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I recently sold 2 boats. I advertised in multiple places and by far the most activity and the buyer came from FaceBook Market Place.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
At this point the money would go to finishing my other projects. Only reason I'm considering selling it is we have put 2 hours on it over the last 2 years with no trips planned for this season.
What you need to be is one of us "non-essential" peeps. That really sucks though. You'll have no problem selling it, seems everyone wants toys right now. Myself included, but being non-essential also means funds are on lockdown by the CFO here.

Really? 2 hours in 2 years? Jesus Christ man, take a day off! That poor thing misses you.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Go throw it in Daves garage and get it on the list.
This.. i have used FB marketplace for my last 2
Sold my 92 Buick wagon in 4 hours and my travel trailer in 1 day.

traquer

Reaction score
just use google voice...
I like the burner phone idea actually. Has other uses besides CL and you can just shut it off and not have to worry about hiding your app notifications.

I make 100% of my money from high tech internet stuff, but I love old school solutions when possible (even though I'm only 34)

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I only sell things I can carry to the local sbux lot to sell on offer up. Bottom feeders for sure, and I don't want them seeing my place, lol.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I'll be putting up a proper add later today. Hitting Elsinore early tomorrow morning to burn down some gas and make sure everything is still working as expected. Very slim possibility I tow this thing out to the Damn Dam Run for one last go around. We'll see how the day goes.

gqchris

Reaction score
I only sell things I can carry to the local sbux lot to sell on offer up. Bottom feeders for sure, and I don't want them seeing my place, lol.

Me too, I say come get it, its out on my doorstep, leave money in mailbox.LOL

ClownRoyal

Reaction score
I deal my stuff thru Maxed Out Marine (buy and sell). Worth it not to have to deal with the BS of tire kickers and assholes.