WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Selling a California Car Out of State**CATALYTIC CONV ISSUES*

Bear Down

Reaction score
looking for some advise here...

I have a awesome running 2010 Accord.. but unfortunately I need to replace both of my CAT's since they have failed (V-6). I have another year and a 1/2 before I need to smog the car again. By that time, my car will be close to 185k Miles. I am not willing to shell out $1200+ on a 10 year old car, but it runs and looks great, but time is creeping up this old Gal (commuter car) I know I will be limited on how much I will be offered on the car. I was thinking of having the car registered in AZ or NV and replacing the CATs, once registered with a 49 state CAT (way cheaper) and selling the car in the registered state. Any other ideas? will this even work?

Thanks All...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
looking for some advise here...

I have a awesome running 2010 Accord.. but unfortunately I need to replace both of my CAT's since they have failed (V-6). I have another year and a 1/2 before I need to smog the car again. By that time, my car will be close to 185k Miles. I am not willing to shell out $1200+ on a 10 year old car, but it runs and looks great, but time is creeping up this old Gal (commuter car) I know I will be limited on how much I will be offered on the car. I was thinking of having the car registered in AZ or NV and replacing the CATs, once registered with a 49 state CAT (way cheaper) and selling the car in the registered state. Any other ideas? will this even work?
eThanks All...
There are some inexpensive weld in cats that could work, My son did this on one of his cars. Hegot two smog tests before they were ineffective. The next set he made removable so they've been good for the last 3 smogs(6yrs)

gqchris

Reaction score
I can only speak for past experience, every time I have sold an Arizona car Ive lost my ass. LOL...Im speaking of older vehicles, mainly trucks to launch my boats at the river house. Couldnt give em away.

Just like we have spend more money here to live in Cali, cars sell for more also. As long as you dont care about resell, then go for it. Arizona makes it easy!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
There are some inexpensive weld in cats that could work, My son did this on one of his cars. Hegot two smog tests before they were ineffective. The next set he made removable so they've been good for the last 3 smogs(6yrs)

Any CA smog test shop is going to see your welds and look for a CARB sticker. Its a great way to get state referee'd. Ask me how I know...

Easiest way is to find a used oem replacement online somewhere. I bought a whole new midpipe with cats from florida on a wrecked car and had it shipped here. Nobody checks if it looks original, even if it didnt come from CA. It says FORD on it just like the CA one did.

You cant buy used cats in CA. No dismantling shop or pick a part will sell to you.

Bear Down

Reaction score
I was quoted about $400 a piece on a used CAT with about 80k miles on it... But with that many miles... I'd rather buy new.. But at $600+ each... its a tough pill to swallow...

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I just helped my daughter pay for new cats in a 2003 Camry for $1600. It was painful, but still less than having a car payment.
Especially when you have to have full coverage on a financed vehicle, pay higher registration, tax, etc.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Any CA smog test shop is going to see your welds and look for a CARB sticker. Its a great way to get state referee'd. Ask me how I know...

Easiest way is to find a used oem replacement online somewhere. I bought a whole new midpipe with cats from florida on a wrecked car and had it shipped here. Nobody checks if it looks original, even if it didnt come from CA. It says FORD on it just like the CA one did.

You cant buy used cats in CA. No dismantling shop or pick a part will sell to you.
My sons car passed just fine last year, so I don't know. Prior to him putting in these cats he got tagged as a gross polluter when the OEM cat had failed.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Just read a code on my 11 SHO. Apparently, when I had the bad injector 18 months ago, it dumped enough fuel to damage one of the four cats. Popped a code right before Christmas. Not looking forward to what this costs me. Damm injector.......

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I know in Az, replacement weld in style cats come with an EPA sticker, and a registration triplicate copy setup, one for installer, one to be mailed back to cat manufacturer, and one for owners records.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I'd throw the 49 state replacement (cheap) cats on and get it smogged. Make sure they have some miles and a little road grime on them so they dont stand out like shiny diamonds when peeking under the car from the side.

If your smog guy is climbing under the car, on his back, and looking for CARB stamps on cats....you need a new smog guy. Most don't do that, especially now that 2001+ are "OBD II" only. They just pop the hood, look for non-stock shit, then peek under the side of the car, see what they can see, then scan and pass.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I'd throw the 49 state replacement (cheap) cats on and get it smogged. Make sure they have some miles and a little road grime on them so they dont stand out like shiny diamonds when peeking under the car from the side.

If your smog guy is climbing under the car, on his back, and looking for CARB stamps on cats....you need a new smog guy. Most don't do that, especially now that 2001+ are "OBD II" only. They just pop the hood, look for non-stock shit, then peek under the side of the car, see what they can see, then scan and pass.
It just means he's protecting his ass , the fines for missing something from the BAR are pretty high these days ...the guys who overlook items eventually get tagged.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It just means he's protecting his ass , the fines for missing something from the BAR are pretty high these days ...the guys who overlook items eventually get tagged.
I understand why they're doing it, but either way - as a customer I would'nt be choosing to smog my old cars at a place who's tech is doing that. He needs a high volume / wham bam shop to scan it and let him on his way

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’d put a cheap 49-state cat in it now.

By the time it needs to be smogged, it’ll have a nice patina on it and will no longer look new/attract attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bear Down

Reaction score
I’d put a cheap 49-state cat in it now.

By the time it needs to be smogged, it’ll have a nice patina on it and will no longer look new/attract attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If I do a 49 state CAT, will the car through out any codes? Not sure if the car is set up for a 49 state CAT and might throw a code...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Sell it in NV anywhere but Clark (Vegas) or Washoe (Reno) counties. No smog is required in the rest of the state.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

100% this. Toss some vinegar on the 49 state cats and get them seasoned, and or leave them out in the rain. Or put them in now and in 10 months they will look weathered in.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If I do a 49 state CAT, will the car through out any codes? Not sure if the car is set up for a 49 state CAT and might throw a code...

Car will run fine with 49 state cats, It wont throw any codes.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Id like to see your smog guy then, cause everyone ive seen, rolls a mirror under it, or looks underneath. ;)

sirbob

Reaction score
I put 2 cats on an older car I have when it failed - I paid 300 per side at the muffler shop in Laguna Hills.

I don't know what the Honda has but I'm guessing its not dual exhaust - it may be only 300 for you???

sirbob

Reaction score
Id like to see your smog guy then, cause everyone ive seen, rolls a mirror under it, or looks underneath. ;)

totally agree with the under car check - mine get checked when I smog our cars

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Last couple guys I used peeked underneath and mumbled "yup, looks stock to me".:)
They were stock of course but no smoke or mirrors used to check it thoroughly.:cool:

Bear Down

Reaction score
I put 2 cats on an older car I have when it failed - I paid 300 per side at the muffler shop.

I don't know what the Honda has but I'm guessing its not dual exhaust - it may be inly 300 for you???
I have a V-6 so it's dual exhaust.

But I might try the 49 state CAT.. I was concerned that during the smog check, it would show it's a non 50 state CAT... but it seems like it's more of a visual verification.

sirbob

Reaction score
I have a V-6 so it's dual exhaust.

But I might try the 49 state CAT.. I was concerned that during the smog check, it would show it's a non 50 state CAT... but it seems like it's more of a visual verification.

Mine are 50 state for only 300 each - I would hate to put in a 49 state and get boned then need to do a 50 state on top of it.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Mine are 50 state for only 300 each - I would hate to put in a 49 state and get boned then need to do a 50 state on top of it.
Can you link me to the website where you got them? 50 state for Accords cost $600-800 each from what I've casually researched... is appreciate it... is them in a heart beat at that price

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
49 state cats are $125 per side.

CA legal are $575 per side.

Bear Down

Reaction score
I'm kinda wonder too why the cats have failed, they shouldn't.
My generation of accord had oil consumption issues.. so basically burned a lot of oil. Honda fixed that problem at 100k miles, but will only give a small courtesy discount on cat replacement only at the dealership... my failure , through research was due to the high burn rate of oil. Honda says the failure I snt because of the oil consumption issues that they repaired..

sirbob

Reaction score
Can you link me to the website where you got them? 50 state for Accords cost $600-800 each from what I've casually researched... is appreciate it... is them in a heart beat at that price

I don't have a link to the web site but here is a copy of the bill with Warrantee cards for each - they were 235 for the part plus tax and labor to weld them on.

These went on a Range Rover.

FullSizeRender.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My generation of accord had oil consumption issues.. so basically burned a lot of oil. Honda fixed that problem at 100k miles, but will only give a small courtesy discount on cat replacement only at the dealership... my failure , through research was due to the high burn rate of oil. Honda says the failure I snt because of the oil consumption issues that they repaired..

And how do you know the cats are bad.. throwing a CEL?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I'm kinda wonder too why the cats have failed, they shouldn't.

Maybe a shop is telling him they are bad?

Only once have I come across a Toyota that even with a complete new 50 state cat/manifold assembly still threw codes. New Up and DS O2's motor was perfect. Computer was seeing something it didn't like. That is when I came across these O2 parts. They just move the downstream out of direct flow.

Very Rare for normal vehicle cats to go bad. Impact, excessive oil burn maybe. Even then.

Bear Down

Reaction score
I don't have a link to the web site but here is a copy of the bill with Warrantee cards for each - they were 235 for the part plus tax and labor to weld them on.

These went on a Range Rover.

View attachment 716809
Thank you... I'll call them this week!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Maybe a shop is telling him they are bad?

Only once have I come across a Toyota that even with a complete new 50 state cat/manifold assembly still threw codes. New Up and DS O2's motor was perfect. Computer was seeing something it didn't like. That is when I came across these O2 parts. They just move the downstream out of direct flow.

Very Rare for normal vehicle cats to go bad. Impact, excessive oil burn maybe. Even then.

I've used spark plug anti foulers for that before... same piece.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes.. CEL .. had my uncle scan for codes and matched what dealer and a tech gave me.. both are bad..

There are 3 in the car it looks like... that means the upstream ones are being labeled as "bad". Can you even see them? If they are buried under heat sheilds, throw on the 49 state deals.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
There are 3 in the car it looks like... that means the upstream ones are being labeled as "bad". Can you even see them? If they are buried under heat sheilds, throw on the 49 state deals.

They still are probably not bad. OP besides the CEL has the car driven and performed normally?

Bear Down

Reaction score
2 codes are being thrown. 0042 0039 (I believe)

Went to a Paisa (homie muffler shop) that my uncle uses for his hot rods... he said they both are toast and because of the oil issues...

Bear Down

Reaction score
They still are probably not bad. OP besides the CEL has the car driven and performed normally?
Yes.. car drives like normal.. only impact it has had is that "eco" mode doesn't engage when check engine light is on. Other than that it's great.. don't care if CEL is on, but I'd like to stretch this car for another 3-4 years and get another 80k miles out of it and have it as a spare car.. but I'd hate to get flagged by my smog shop

Runs2rch

Reaction score
2 codes are being thrown. 0042 0039 (I believe)

Went to a Paisa (homie muffler shop) that my uncle uses for his hot rods... he said they bith are toast and because of the oil issues...

PO420 and 430 I bet. Well then yes they could be bad. The new ones will go bad as well.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes.. car drives like normal.. only impact it has had is that "eco" mode doesn't engage when check engine light is on. Other than that it's great.. don't care if CEL is on, but I'd like to stretch this car for another 3-4 years and get another 80k miles out of it and have it as a spare car.. but I'd hate to get flagged by my smog shop

If you put them in now, you likely wont be flagged. They wont look new in 10 months.

I had a non CARB legal header on my car for 3 smog checks.. on the 4th someone finally noticed.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

Throw the O2 simulators in clear the code and keep driving it.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Tijuana isn't that far of a drive.... maybe they will sell you a couple used ones at a yonke shop.

Bear Down

Reaction score
If you put them in now, you likely wont be flagged. They wont look new in 10 months.

I had a non CARB legal header on my car for 3 smog checks.. on the 4th someone finally noticed.
My current mechanic has a blind eye, so this might be a great option as well. As long as the 49 state CAT wont trigger anything in the car computer and throw a CEO or Code. For the long term is like that since I'm keeping the car