WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Selling stuff on Facebook Marketplace wtf?

2Driver

Reaction score
I got tired of the scammers on CL, so I gave in and tried FBM again to sell a set of BFG KMs

Responses

30 - “Are they available”? ( it’s a button in the software) I answer yes, they never return a response

5 want to come see the item, I say, “sure when” and get no response.

2 send me a fair offer and I accept, no further response.

1 wants to pay Zelle and have his son pick them up, I say, no cash only, no response.

Why would so many people get a positive response to their question then go away? LOL I ended up selling them through CL in the end. LOL Screw it Im donating stuff, it’s easier.

Last edited:

rivergames

Reaction score
It's a game. People are bored and want to make offers to see if the seller would accept. Then "POOOOF" ....gone

Same with the Schiada I have for sale.. Lots of talkers, but nobody has came to even take a look

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I got tired of the scammers on CL, so I gave in and tried FBM again to sell a set of BGF KMs

Responses

30 - “Are they available”? ( it’s a button in the software) I answer yes, they never return a response

1 wants to pay Zelle and have his son pick them up, I say, no cash only, no response.

Why would so many people get a positive response to their question then go away? LOL I ended up selling them through CL in the end. LOL Screw it Im donating stuff, it’s easier.
I ask people all the time if they'll accept Zell/Venmo/Paypal for an item on Facebook and would have someone else pick the item up. Lots of good deals to be had, but sometimes the distance makes it difficult to act fast enough to snag it. I get your cash only position, but not everyone asking to pay digitally is looking to scam you. I've had zero bad interactions buying over FB. Have bought multiple items and paid seller to ship just going off of faith and trust there are good people in the world and have yet to get scammed. You can usually tell a scam by the way the person interacts or visuals ques in photos.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I have asked about 20 or so trucks, cars, toys and not one single seller was legit. I have sold 3 vehicles on FB market place one sold very quickly for asking price and the other sold in 2 days and the last sold in about a week with back and forth questions from what seemed to be and ended up an honest buyer. Sucks that so many scams are on there that is for sure, absolutely no oversight that is for sure.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
It's almost impossible to sell on FB Marketplace and OfferUp. Even when I give things away, people hardly show up. I have an immaculate desk and crib which I am trying get rid of for free and nobody shows up.

However, this is funny....I bought a Weber grill and put my old one on OfferUp for free. This thing was hammered....rusty, floor coming out of it, even the grills were rusty beyond belief. A guy comes and picks it up in the rain with his mom...an hour later it's on FB marketplace and offers for $150. He even used my photos. Haha, I literally hope he makes money because it was worth me not taking it to the dump.

Cdog

Reaction score
“Want to donate it to someone in need” - Sure for asking price you can donate it to whoever you want!

Add says cash, local pickup only with x street location. “Will you take Zelle? Where are you located?

I told one guy 3 questions are free. After that I charge $10 per question

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have had pretty good luck using FBM. Some thing go real fast , I put my wagon up and it sold in under 4 hours for my asking price oather stuff you get the stupid messages and no response. If I get the canned is it available msg don't even respond any more, you gotta do better than that. I will sometimes look to see the person info and if the are local I may respond.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I have had pretty good luck using FBM. Some thing go real fast , I put my wagon up and it sold in under 4 hours for my asking price oather stuff you get the stupid messages and no response. If I get the canned is it available msg don't even respond any more, you gotta do better than that. I will sometimes look to see the person info and if the are local I may respond.
You sold your wagon???? Been wanting to come by to see how things are going. Even drove by one day but you were not out and about.

Sandlord

Reaction score
Quick rant;
List Pit Boss smoker for 50 bucks at 4 pm.
First caller: Hold it for me, I’ll be there at 5.
me: OK
I tell a second caller that someone coming, but I’ll call you if they flake.
5:30 first call says traffic hold up, they are 20 miles out.
6:30 first caller says they are right around the corner.
7: 00 first caller calls and before he could say anything I tell him to go home. (Fuck that guy).
I call second caller and he says he’ll come right away. He’s at that same location 20 miles away.
He shows up in 20 minutes and is gone 5 minutes later with his smoker

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
You sold your wagon???? Been wanting to come by to see how things are going. Even drove by one day but you were not out and about.
Different wagon my 92 Buick RMW

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I just sold my wifes old car on FB marketplace for my full asking price.

Even tho FB puts the Kelly bluebook price right on your ad! (Kelly private party was $700. lower than my sale price)

I knew what I had ;)

boat527

Reaction score
I got tired of the scammers on CL, so I gave in and tried FBM again to sell a set of BFG KMs

Responses

Just post , " cash or paypal only" ..

It might help. At least with ppal you're protected. VENMO and ZELLE ..nope

Meaney77

Reaction score
Quick rant;
7: 00 first caller calls and before he could say anything I tell him to go home. (Fuck that guy).
I call second caller and he says he’ll come right away. He’s at that same location 20 miles away.
I Just don't understand people who waste their time and my time with bullshit either come and get whatever I am selling or don't but don't lead me on

Smupser

Reaction score
You know what’s funny? So many people talk s*** on Craigslist. I have sold so much through Craigslist over the years with little to no problem.

I don’t have facebook so I can’t post on market place.

I will say this, I have offer up and I’ve had more problems with doucebag losers on there than anywhere. Yea, I have had some sales there, but Craigslist is 10 times better for me than offer up

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Funny timing for this thread. Wife sent me this today. Never even thought of this and would probably be pretty easy to get burned.

B86C27E9-9485-41AB-8E04-116FA5B9EA1C.jpeg

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I actually have had good luck selling things of FB market place. I just go into it knowing I'm gonna get lots of bogus calls and offers. Doesn't bother me at all, I just delete the messages and move along. It's all about putting yourself into a mindset of playing the game and not taking anything personal. Eventually someone will come along that's serious and wants to buy your item.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
When we left Reno, I posted an ad for the yard sale on FBM a day early. I took pics of the big stuff like the patio set, BBQ, smoker, air compressor, etc. You have to put a price, so I put $1.

Yard Sale
6/10/2023
list of stuff at yard sale
address
$1

The pic of the patio set was the first image.
I got over 100 replies in the first 3 hours "Is this still available?" Me: "What exactly are you interested in?"
Other replies: "How much?" Me: "What exactly are you interested in?"
"Will you deliver? Me: "No delivery. It's a yard sale." again, what were they interested in?
"Will you take Venmo?" Me: "Cash only." (I did take some Venmo from people who actually showed up in person)

Most replies were regarding the patio set; I guess they didn't look at the other images.

This is the best part . . . I had three people think the 6-chair patio set with cantilever umbrella was $1. One guy wanted me to deliver it and only pay $1. WTH?? Why wouldn't I just give it away for free? This was in June of 2021 when you could not get patio sets or anything else like that from a box store. It was on a boat waiting to be offloaded. I knew it was a hot commodity, as was the Weber gas grill. I think I had the patio set for $600 and the umbrella for $100. Most people offered me $100-$200 for the set. It was exhausting responding to these people. I had well over 200 queries. I ended up selling the patio set and umbrella by the end of the day at full price to someone who had just bought a house that day and was so excited. But the whole experience was a total PITA.

Generally, I have pretty good luck on Marketplace selling things. Like Dan, I delete the obvious scammers and ignore lowball offers.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Whats wrong with Zelle? Quick and easy transaction. I've bought an something for like $100 and told them to throw it into an uber I called. Good faith in people.
Zelle is the only one I will use. Name another that banks code into their apps.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Quick rant;
Dude was probably a reseller picking stuff up along the way to your house.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I had a easy bake oven listed on OfferUp person kept saying the wanted it I had a friend that lived about .5 miles away so I said I’d deliver. I set up to drop off at 8am and they said they’d put the money under the mat on the porch. Show up at 8 no money no answer. Head over to my friends house and hand his daughter the easy bake oven about an hour after I leave they’re already eating easy bake cookies.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Funny timing for this thread. Wife sent me this today. Never even thought of this and would probably be pretty easy to get burned.

View attachment 1213611
In Arizona you need to have the title notarized before transfering it to the new owner. When I sell titled items I have the buyer meet me at the bank or go to the bank after they say they'll buy the item. While there the title gets notarized and I make sure the money is good.
If they are a serious buyer then they'll have no problem doing that. If they squawk, you don't want to sell to them because they'll be the type to call back and complain after they break whatever you sold them and expect money back.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
the problem is people have time and its easy to just scroll and look at stuff, hell i do it on the classifieds here. but i dont waste the sellers time. just like to see whats out there. i miss the trader magazine days. i would pick up a truck, cycle and boat trader every week and drool over stuff i couldnt afford.

Warlock1

Reaction score
I am selling some new take offs and this lady hits me up and says "I'll give you full price and do you take Zelle and can her son come and grab them"? So I give her my name and phone number and she comes back and says "I need your email to verify the account". I aske her "What does it say when you use my phone number"? I get a response "These are for my oldest. He has a gambling problem". I've never had to give anyone more than name and phone number. I ask for a screenshot to see what it is asking. Crickets. "Don't worry, this is for real". Which was an odd thing to say. Anyway I didn't feel good about this. Now I need to see if there is some kind of scam that involves them getting an email address.

2Driver

Reaction score
I am selling some new take offs and this lady hits me up and says "I'll give you full price and do you take Zelle and can her son come and grab them"? So I give her my name and phone number and she comes back and says "I need your email to verify the account". I aske her "What does it say when you use my phone number"? I get a response "These are for my oldest. He has a gambling problem". I've never had to give anyone more than name and phone number. I ask for a screenshot to see what it is asking. Crickets. "Don't worry, this is for real". Which was an odd thing to say. Anyway I didn't feel good about this. Now I need to see if there is some kind of scam that involves them getting an email address.

Yep, I’ve used Zelle with friends but figured the asshats online have figured out a way to screw you.

TimeBandit

Reaction score

The "this is for real" sounds just like the scammers asking for a code they are sending "to make sure it's real" lol

When I took Zelle I used my name and email, not my phone number. I've sent zelle to my kids with name and phone number.

It looks like one or the other will work, no need for both.

Just don't send them any "codes" you get.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
the problem is people have time and its easy to just scroll and look at stuff, hell i do it on the classifieds here. but i dont waste the sellers time. just like to see whats out there. i miss the trader magazine days. i would pick up a truck, cycle and boat trader every week and drool over stuff i couldnt afford.
This and teenagers! I watch my friends son make "virtual" deals all the time, then once the deal is made he hits up his dad for $$$ or a ride and gets shot down. I'll bet this happens quite a bit.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
This is bringing back all sorts old memories...recycler...lol

Gotta say craigslist was my favorite. I have good luck with FB but you have to weed through the flippers and the kbb limit on classic cars is bunk.

707dog

Reaction score
The zelle one Is a scam for sure. I sell alot stuff marketplace and I get atleast 2 of those per listing. Played the back and forth a few time to see where it would lead. They were asking for my phone #, address where it could be picked up you name it. When I send them back a picture of a monkey butthole they disappear 🤣

ltbaney1

Reaction score
This and teenagers! I watch my friends son make "virtual" deals all the time, then once the deal is made he hits up his dad for $$$ or a ride and gets shot down. I'll bet this happens quite a bit.
thats a good point too, i had not thought of that one.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Me: Item 123, Price is $X OBO
Buyer: Will you take $Y?
Me: Yes, I will take $Y, when do you want to meet up?
crickets........crickets.......crickets.....
Me: Are you still interested in this?
Buyer: Sorry, I not interested anymore.

I feel like some people just like to fish to see what kind of deal they can make, and don't have anything better to do than waster other people's time.