WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Senate sends massive defense bill for Trump to sign

JBS

Reaction score
The President is really on a roll. There is literally no deficit to big for this President.

Senate sends massive defense bill for Trump to sign, creating Space Force

Reuters•December 17, 2019

ed729c4681f84b7ea3a63a759ca4275c

FILE PHOTO: The U.S. Capitol building is seen on Capitol Hill in Washington
By Patricia Zengerle

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday to pass a $738 billion defense policy bill that creates President Donald Trump's "Space Force" and gives federal employees 12 weeks of paid parental leave, sending it to the White House, where Trump has promised to quickly sign it into law.

The Republican-controlled Senate voted 86 to 8 in favor of the National Defense Authorization Act, or NDAA. The Democratic-led House approved the bill by 377-48 last week.

Trump said on Twitter last week that he would sign the bill as soon as it passes, saying it included all his priorities.

As one of the few pieces of major legislation Congress passes every year, the NDAA becomes a vehicle for a range of policy measures as well as setting everything from military pay levels to which ships or aircraft will be modernized, purchased or discontinued.

This year's legislation included a 3.1% pay increase for the troops; the first ever paid family leave for all federal workers, and the creation of a Space Force, the first new branch of the U.S. military in more than 60 years and a top military priority for Trump.

The Democratic-led House and Republican-led Senate each voted for a version of the NDAA earlier this year. Then lawmakers negotiated for months with representatives from the White House to reach the compromise that just passed.

A few left-leaning Democrats and libertarian-leaning Republicans voted against the NDAA because it did not include policy planks that would have restrained Trump's war powers, including banning support for Saudi Arabia's air campaign in Yemen.

Some also objected to the increase in military spending, as the national debt is skyrocketing.

"Conservatism is about more than supporting military spending at any cost," Republican Senator Rand Paul said.

The NDAA also does not bar the Republican president from using military funds to build a wall on the U.S. border with Mexico.

Those provisions were included in the House's version of the NDAA, but not in the Senate's. They were removed during the negotiations.

Democratic leaders said they had extracted some concessions from Republicans, the 12 weeks of paid family leave for federal workers.

The fiscal 2020 NDAA increases defense spending by about $20 billion, or about 2.8%. It includes $658.4 billion for Department of Defense and Department of Energy national security programs, $71.5 billion to pay for ongoing foreign wars and $5.3 billion in emergency funding for repairs from natural disasters.

(Reporting by Patricia Zengerle, Editing by David Gregorio and Steve Orlofsky)

Sign in to post a message.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
The President is really on a roll. There is literally no deficit to big for this President.

By Patricia Zengerle

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday to pass a $738 billion defense policy bill that creates President Donald Trump's "Space Force" and gives federal employees 12 weeks of paid parental leave, sending it to the White House, where Trump has promised to quickly sign it into law.

The Republican-controlled Senate voted 86 to 8 in favor of the National Defense Authorization Act, or NDAA. The Democratic-led House approved the bill by 377-48 last week.

Trump said on Twitter last week that he would sign the bill as soon as it passes, saying it included all his priorities.

As one of the few pieces of major legislation Congress passes every year, the NDAA becomes a vehicle for a range of policy measures as well as setting everything from military pay levels to which ships or aircraft will be modernized, purchased or discontinued.

This year's legislation included a 3.1% pay increase for the troops; the first ever paid family leave for all federal workers, and the creation of a Space Force, the first new branch of the U.S. military in more than 60 years and a top military priority for Trump.

The Democratic-led House and Republican-led Senate each voted for a version of the NDAA earlier this year. Then lawmakers negotiated for months with representatives from the White House to reach the compromise that just passed.

A few left-leaning Democrats and libertarian-leaning Republicans voted against the NDAA because it did not include policy planks that would have restrained Trump's war powers, including banning support for Saudi Arabia's air campaign in Yemen.

Some also objected to the increase in military spending, as the national debt is skyrocketing.

"Conservatism is about more than supporting military spending at any cost," Republican Senator Rand Paul said.

The NDAA also does not bar the Republican president from using military funds to build a wall on the U.S. border with Mexico.

Those provisions were included in the House's version of the NDAA, but not in the Senate's. They were removed during the negotiations.

Democratic leaders said they had extracted some concessions from Republicans, the 12 weeks of paid family leave for federal workers.

The fiscal 2020 NDAA increases defense spending by about $20 billion, or about 2.8%. It includes $658.4 billion for Department of Defense and Department of Energy national security programs, $71.5 billion to pay for ongoing foreign wars and $5.3 billion in emergency funding for repairs from natural disasters.

While I would generally agree with you on this, I don't seem to recall you objecting to Obama's out of control spending with the same zeal you do with President Trump?

Are you "evolving" ? :cool:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

By Patricia Zengerle

Impeach...Impeach!!!!’

JBS

Reaction score
While I would generally agree with you on this, I don't seem to recall you objecting to Obama's out of control spending with the same zeal you do with President Trump?

Are you "evolving" ? :cool:

I totally objected to his spending. In fact I objected to just about everything he did. The republicans at least tried to hold spending when Obama was in office.

I did not vote for Obama either time. I did vote for Trump after Johnson went off the rails. Trump ran on a campaign to control spending and reduce the debt. Is the guy all bad NO. But the spending is ridiculous.

JBS

Reaction score
Impeach...Impeach!!!!’

You know it's funny that the dems will go along with anything as much as they hate and fear the President. But when it comes to spending and adding social programs all can get along.

Did you see the ground breaking bipartisan legislation coming to raise the cigarette age to 21. Government is great

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I totally objected to his spending. In fact I objected to just about everything he did. The republicans at least tried to hold spending when Obama was in office.

I did not vote for Obama either time. I did vote for Trump after Johnson went off the rails. Trump ran on a campaign to control spending and reduce the debt. Is the guy all bad NO. But the spending is ridiculous.

I'm confused. You and I voted for Trump, for the exact same reasons. Yet, I'm a Trumpkin, who supports ALL his polices and spending yet you're not? How does that work down here?

JBS

Reaction score
I'm confused. You and I voted for Trump, for the exact same reasons. Yet, I'm a Trumpkin, who supports ALL his polices and spending yet you're not? How does that work down here?

Steve to the best of my knowledge I have not called you a Trumpkin. I o get how you feel as I get called a dem for not 100% backing all the president's ideas.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Steve to the best of my knowledge I have not called you a Trumpkin. I o get how you feel as I get called a dem for not 100% backing all the president's ideas.

Not you have not. However 530 consistently does. I have yet to see him to label you a Trumpkin even though our reason were identical for casting our votes for him.

Whats that about "Consistency and Hobgoblins?"

JBS

Reaction score
Not you have not. However 530 consistently does. I have yet to see him to label you a Trumpkin even though our reason were identical for casting our votes for him.

530/Dan is a friend of mine. I do not answer for him.

If you voted for Trump because of his commitment to reduce social programs and reduce debt I am surprised you are not more negative towards him now.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Well, post count the last 2 days suggests that JBS is pulling Christmas duty, so there is that.:D:p

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
530/Dan is a friend of mine. I do not answer for him.

If you voted for Trump because of his commitment to reduce social programs and reduce debt I am surprised you are not more negative towards him now.

He has reduced social programs, no so much on the debt. I still would much rather have the incredible economic boom we are ALL experiencing and profiting from than the alternative we would have with HRC. He's not perfect, none of em are. But I'll repeat my vote for him.

Face it, Trumps problem is he creates so much consternation and conflict. He seems to flourish in it. I believe America will be stronger when hes done, not weaker, America will be more prosperous not less, and Americans, ALL of us will be better off than after 4-8 years of HRC. I say that inclusive of the deficits.

spectras only

Reaction score
didn't you learn, best defence is a good offence?.;) I'm sure there are some bad holes in the defence system already, you need to re-boot to refresh.:p The US is not invincible as some of you might think.:eek:

JBS

Reaction score
He has reduced social programs, no so much on the debt. I still would much rather have the incredible economic boom we are ALL experiencing and profiting from than the alternative we would have with HRC. He's not perfect, none of em are. But I'll repeat my vote for him.

Face it, Trumps problem is he creates so much consternation and conflict. He seems to flourish in it. I believe America will be stronger when hes done, not weaker, America will be more prosperous not less, and Americans, ALL of us will be better off than after 4-8 years of HRC. I say that inclusive of the deficits.

I did a little search and I find all kinds of proposed cuts but no numbers on actual cuts. I can find numbers where the debt and deficit are climbing.

I am also not convinced the economic boom is all it's cracked up to be. I am concerned it is a pay me now or pay me later situation. Inflation is much higher in my opinion than the numbers show.

As far as comparing to HRC really no way to know. I do know the republicans would of never let her spend like this.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I did a little search and I find all kinds of proposed cuts but no numbers on actual cuts. I can find numbers where the debt and deficit are climbing.

I am also not convinced the economic boom is all it's cracked up to be. I am concerned it is a pay me now or pay me later situation. Inflation is much higher in my opinion than the numbers show.

As far as comparing to HRC really no way to know. I do know the republicans would of never let her spend like this.

“No way to know”???
You are joking, right?

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score

By Patricia Zengerle

Still trying to get back to where we were prior to the shitshow of Obama and his hate toward all things military. As well, you of all people know war stuff gets old and out of date. Lastly, the spend is going to American companies, with American workers, who typically spend that money back in the US economy.

I can think of a million things I'd rather give a fuck than this.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score

By Patricia Zengerle

How about the bastards at the Fed, you have any beef with them?

JBS

Reaction score
How about the bastards at the Fed, you have any beef with them?

Fed chairman was appointed by Trump. Seems like he only hires the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score

Not talking about Trump's tenure. Try it again.

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score

Yeah, because the history of the Fed only began with Trump. :rolleyes:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Oracle by proxy...fun to watch, but still sounds store bought.