WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sentencing in Street Racing Deaths

SoCalDave

Reaction score

A Florida man was sentenced to prison Thursday, nearly three years after he crashed into a mother and 1-year-old daughter, killing both, according to reports.

Cameron Herrin, now 21, was allegedly racing with a fellow student in Tampa in his brand-new Ford Mustang -- a high-school graduation present -- when he slammed into Jessica Reisinger-Raubenolt, 24, who was pushing her daughter Lillia in a stroller across a road in 2018.

On Thursday, Herrin appeared wide-eyed as Hillsborough Circuit Judge Christopher Nash sentenced him to 24 years in prison -- six years short of the maximum sentence, which the victims' family members had asked for, reports said. He was placed in handcuffs as members of his family wept, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

The decision came following a long day of testimony, in which members of Herrin's family talked about his character before the victim's family members discussed their heartbreak over the incident. The judge said Herrin’s track record of excessive speeding contributed to his sentencing decision.

"It’s impossible to have greater harm than occurred in this case," Nash said, according to the paper.

Nearly three years after the incident, the victim's family believe they finally have some justice, reports said. Following the sentencing, David Raubenolt, the widower and father of Lillia said his wife would have "never wanted to see any person suffer and this would have been a very hard day for her to sit in and through."

"But ultimately if she knew our goal was to make these streets safer, being the humble person that she was, she would accept her sacrifice and be grateful for it," he added, according to FOX 13 of Tampa Bay.

The incident occurred in May 2018, when Herrin, then 18, and a friend, John Barrineau, then 17, were driving in separate cars in the Tampa area. Witnesses told police they appeared to be racing and at times, the vehicles were parallel to each other as they maneuvered between two lanes. The Nissan driven by Barrineau avoided the mother, but the Mustang driven by Herrin struck the woman and child, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

Cheryl Herrin, the mother of Cameron, testified Thursday that her son called after the incident and said she could hear him crying.

"Mom," he said. "I’ve killed someone."

"No, Cameron," she responded. "You’re mistaken."

Cheryl Herrin then drove to the crash scene on Bayshore Boulevard and saw her son on his hands and knees in the grassy median, according to the Times.

"I feel responsible for this accident," she told the judge. "If I could, I would step in front of Cameron, and I would accept the punishment you might render."

In court, one of the central battles waged by the lawyers was over data recovered from the Mustang’s internal computer system, which indicated the vehicle was traveling more than 100 mph moments before the crash, FOX 13 reported.

Despite arguments by the defense that said the lead detective unlawfully obtained the computer system from the Mustang without a proper warrant, the data was ultimately allowed into evidence. Data from the navigation system also recorded other speeding incidents in the days before the crash, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

A week before the trial was set to begin, Herrin and Barrineau changed their pleas to guilty and they admitted to racing and causing the deadly crash, FOX 13 reported. Barrineau cut a deal with the state and was sentenced to six years in prison.

On Thursday, David Raubenolt said he now sweats when he enters the empty room of his daughter, the paper reported.

"I want you to never forget that you have caused thousands of people to cry," Raubenolt told the defendant.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Was this the case that the defense argued the whole white privilege angle, that he was raised in a very wealthy home and had no comprehension of his actions as a result?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Huh, wasn’t there a street racing thread a few weeks ago? Where are all those billy bad ass dudes who don’t understand to keep the racing on the track?

When I was street racing it was always late at night at industrial complexes that were closed etc.. to counter the point though..

“What tracks?” They closed them all down anymore..

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Hurts all involved....

Just to think... an otherwise innocent day turns into a tragedy

Reactions: FCT

Duramax

Reaction score
Was this the case that the defense argued the whole white privilege angle, that he was raised in a very wealthy home and had no comprehension of his actions as a result?
No, I believe that's the Lambo one?

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
When I was street racing it was always late at night at industrial complexes that were closed etc.. to counter the point though..

“What tracks?” They closed them all down anymore..

I forgot you can’t kill anybody or damage property late at night in those industrial parks. LOL

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Madness is the one who made it quite clear he had money, and only poor folk street raced...some of us weren't as lucky in the draw for racecars or family backing...but I digress.

I've seen several accidents, but nothing major in terms of bodily harm. Cars, not so much. When figuring in the amount of races I've watched or been involved in, probably not bad in terms of percentage base.

@rivermobster , isn't Irwindale still just an 1/8th? That was the only bummer when they openned. Out here, nothing at all. With Wildhorse closing, closest track is 230 miles away. We do, however, have one nice place by our little airport, and one fairly decent down the road here. I've used them for test hits, but no racing. Too much to lose now, and I finally have "normal people" insurance rates.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

No that was the Affluenza kid. At age 16 crashed is dad's F250 into a group of parked cars, killing 4 people while drunk and high.

• Sad
Reactions: DWC

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Madness is the one who made it quite clear he had money, and only poor folk street raced...some of us weren't as lucky in the draw for racecars or family backing...but I digress.

I've seen several accidents, but nothing major in terms of bodily harm. Cars, not so much. When figuring in the amount of races I've watched or been involved in, probably not bad in terms of percentage base.

@rivermobster , isn't Irwindale still just an 1/8th? That was the only bummer when they openned. Out here, nothing at all. With Wildhorse closing, closest track is 230 miles away. We do, however, have one nice place by our little airport, and one fairly decent down the road here. I've used them for test hits, but no racing. Too much to lose now, and I finally have "normal people" insurance rates.

Yes it is. It's only good for low speed passes cause the shut down lanes are short, and one is Really short!

It's kind of a weird deal, but the place is packed on bracket race nights. The line to race is usually longer than the track its self!

There are other tracks still open I believe. That was just the first one to pop into my head.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yes it is. It's only good for low speed passes cause the shut down lanes are short, and one is Really short!

It's kind of a weird deal, but the place is packed on bracket race nights. The line to race is usually longer than the track its self!

There are other tracks still open I believe. That was just the first one to pop into my head.
When they started, I was still running. My stuff was not well suited to 660 runs. I heard they were closing Fontucky, so that would leave Bakersfield?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
When they started, I was still running. My stuff was not well suited to 660 runs. I heard they were closing Fontucky, so that would leave Bakersfield?

I'm not really sure bro. I don't keep up on that whole scene too much anymore.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Who brings a baby to a street race?

WTF.

Think about that.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
My understanding of the incident is a lady and her baby were crossing the street, being regular pedestrians. This wasn't any sort of organized street race, this was 2 high school buddies racing
I read way too many articles on this. I can't find out what time this happened at.
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
I don't advocate street racing. I abhor it.
If this happened during daylight hours, shame on me for projecting.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Wow sad story indeed. Kid was just having fun doing something many of us have. But it was his doing that lead to 2 innocent people being taken before their time.
I agree with the sentence handed out.
On a lighter note- in prison he’ll be married within a week😱

Reactions: DWC

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I read way too many articles on this. I can't find out what time this happened at.
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

This article says afternoon and photos are from daylight (not sure if same day or next day, though)

Cole Canadian

Reaction score
In a situation like this no one wins. Could it have been prevented?, yes, but it happened and a whole lot of lives will be affected by one bad decision.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all parties concerned.
It could have been anyone of us when we were younger.
I know I was involved in more than a few races when I was younger.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My understanding of the incident is a lady and her baby were crossing the street, being regular pedestrians. This wasn't any sort of organized street race, this was 2 high school buddies racing
Oh my bad, didn’t know it was unlawful to take my kid for a walk on a city street.

Let’s ignore the guy going 102mph in a 40mph zone and it appears this was during the day.

we are gonna have to order you guys a sense of humor.. lol

SixD9R

Reaction score
Maybe I’m wrong, but I also didn’t take Carlson-jet’s response as humor but more like a misunderstanding of the situation and 2 members tried to correct him.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Should have made it life in prison without parole. Beautiful family taken way way too soon. I am all for illegal street racing. But like others said. Industrial areas at 3:00 am. Not Florida’s PCH.

Maestro

Reaction score
My co worker is friends with one of the drivers who crashed on the Christmas day street race in Carson. He continues to try and justify why he shouldn't be charged and that they are trying to make an axample of him. The friend recently paroled left the scene only to turn himself in later. Just married and has a small child. The guy was irresponsible and now shall pay the consequences. Too bad it cost a life and injuries to others.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My co worker is friends with one of the drivers who crashed on the Christmas day street race in Carson. He continues to try and justify why he shouldn't be charged and that they are trying to make an axample of him. The friend recently paroled left the scene only to turn himself in later. Just married and has a small child. The guy was irresponsible and now shall pay the consequences. Too bad it cost a life and injuries to others.
I hadn't heard any updates, but glad he turned himself in.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I was pointing out the posts above obvious sarcasm.
Actually you said you were going to order us a sense of humor.
I always thought the word humor was related to something funny.
Personally I don’t see anything funny when it comes to a kid getting smashed by a street racer.

No amount of sarcasm can make that funny in my opinion.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I was pointing out the posts above obvious sarcasm.

I respectfully disagree with the obvious sarcasm based on the response below

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.