WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Serial Burro Killer On The Loose!

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
This sucks, but I have a serious question: why are these burros protected? They're not native, so I don't really understand that.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
I guess that explains why I've never seen a burro along the 15 in my lifetime.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
They used to round up the ones in Parker on Ca. side every ten or so years. Word was they were sold by BLM to slaughter house. I remember the babies crying for their moms around Riverview Park. Last round up when I was there was around 2011.j
Maybe someone knows if it was a re population vs. glue farm?

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
They used to round up the ones in Parker on Ca. side every ten or so years. Word was they were sold by BLM to slaughter house. I remember the babies crying for their moms around Riverview Park. Last round up when I was there was around 2011.j

The rowdy lil' bastards have no natural enemies to any extent.....Outside of a hungry Grizzly or a large cougar, they hold their own. Got to do something to control the sustainable herd sizes

gqchris

Reaction score
What part of the 15?! I ride up and down that highway all winter offroading, and not once have I seen any wildlife except 'yotes! Must be up past Vegas or something.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
After carefully considering all of the information I can gather here at RDPs, he ^^^^ did it.
Nawwwww......Just understanding the situation the wildlife folks are in.

Hogs or Yotes are acceptable, I have no desire to shoot a burro that is a might smarter and go a lil' personality. But again, you can only have so many before they suffer

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I used to shoot as a kid with my Brother off Hodge road 79-86’
Never forget the time we came across two desert tortoises that someone blew away with a 12 gauge.
I killed plenty of jack rabbits with a .22 out there but it takes a special kind of twisted to shoot a tortoise.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
This sucks, but I have a serious question: why are these burros protected? They're not native, so I don't really understand that.

Current burros and wild horses are the descendants of pack and working animals used by explorers, settlers and miners, from the 1500s through the 1800s. Congress passed the Wild and Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act in 1971, signed into law by President Nixon.

Their range used to be across the entire western US, from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Estimated to run upwards of 2 million animals, in the 1930s. Once the Government opened Federal Land to grazing leases and permits, the leaseholders would shoot, capture, or slaughter (for food) the horses and burros so they wouldn't compete with grazing animals. By the 1950s, their numbers were down to around 25,000. A couple of "refuges" were set up for them, but being "wild" animals they didn't know they were supposed to stay on the refuges. The 1971 act, put protections on all "free roaming" horses and burros. The law provides that they can be periodically rounded up and auctioned off, to try and keep their numbers in check, but contrary to an earlier statement, they can't be bought for food or slaughter, and must be rehabilitated, or otherwise humanely cared for (zoos, displays, sanctuaries, etc). A certain number can be donated to universities for continued studies and research.

There are some issues with them straying onto non-federal land, such as State managed lands, and private property, where there are no Federal protections. A situation came up a few years ago, where a herd of horses on the Salt River near Phoenix was living and thriving on State lands. Locals wanted them rounded up and killed, but DNA showed that they were part of the larger herds that populate local Federal Lands. Authority was given to the AZ State Land Dept, AZ Game and Fish and State Livestock to come up with a plan but, for now, they are following the Federal model.

As far as natural predators, there are a few around here, including the big cats (mountain lions, cougars, panthers, etc) and wolves. Coyotes have been known to bring down very young, old and infirm equines.

But even though they are increasing in numbers, and it might seem to be "a help" in thinning the herd, so to speak, they are still protected with severe penalties for harming or unauthorized capture. Not to mention it's pretty chickenshit to just shoot them and leave them to rot, no matter what your feelings on the issue are.

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
There was one running around here locally about a year ago with an arrow in its neck. It eluded capture for about a week.When they finally caught it the arrow had fallen out.They took it to the vet anyway to treat the wound.There are some idiots out there

NicPaus

Reaction score
Few years ago there was a young one running around our park with a ski rope around its neck. Someone tried to catch it. We pinned it and cut the rope off.

Now we got these mangy coyotes hanging around Echo. Walking through middle of the day. Just like this one that is cruising my Torrance neighborhood.
Screenshot_20190822-222721_Samsung Internet.jpg

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
But even though they are increasing in numbers, and it might seem to be "a help" in thinning the herd, so to speak, they are still protected with severe penalties for harming or unauthorized capture. Not to mention it's pretty chickenshit to just shoot them and leave them to rot, no matter what your feelings on the issue are.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I'm not suggesting that anything nefarious should ever happen. I do think there are thin lines between protecting non-native and native species. More wanted to understand. I've seen wild horses on Mead a few times and they are amazing, healthy animals. The Burros at the Landing are as well. But left to graze and reproduce uncontrolled doesn't work well either just as you describe. Thanks again.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
One or two, maybe three, could be kids with a new to them rifle.. This many has to be motivated by something like Boat Cop said, grazing rights... I see no other motive... I doubt they'll stop, and now they are being looked for... I hope there is some serious jail time, PRISON time, involved once they're caught... From my point of view those animals don't harm anything, or anybody...
Ray

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
B480BDCD-D5AB-4ED5-AAE3-1ECA67648352.jpeg
19AED8BE-AEB0-4310-9F0D-77D2E4828966.jpeg
Ok, first of all, this mental POS SOB needs to be shot in the nut sack.

2nd, BLM rounded up over 100 burros in & around Parker & Earp last year. We rarely see any now.

Don’t get it twisted, BLM isn’t helping the cause. Their numbers increase while they’re caged & I hear that yes, they’re sold for slaughter. They’re supposed to be protected & rehabilitated for adoption, but BLM bypassed the rules, sold to a kill buyer who sold for slaughter. That was on 1,800 horses near the Salt River, Phoenix area, so you know it happens everywhere.

The burros are a pain because they walk down our road & kick over the trash cans, but I blame that on the MORONS who stop on the road & feed ‘em. Don’t feed the burros !!!

Larry gripes about the mess they make, but I’ll take that over the geese & coots & rabbits and the mess they make.

On another note ~ someone hit and killed a buck on Parker Dam Rd. on Sunday . . . We’ve seen them down by Water Wheel/Lost Lake, but this is the first time we’ve seen one in our ‘hood.

“Lucky’s Wife”

Last edited:

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Gotta be a real nut job to shoot a burro.. No sport what so ever.. Just a killer.. Miss seeing all them on the to black meadows..

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
In Bullhead we get them pretty bad off the parkway. Last year was really bad, not so much this year. Kinda a pain in the ass
20181027_222518.jpg
20181027_222640.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

84miller

Reaction score
Parker area rounded up 480 over the last year and relocated them to northern CA. Why, because they have become way to aggressive. I have experienced the aggressiveness myself. There are still some around. Why are they aggressive, because they are expecting to be fed. Anyone who is caught feeding a burros should know they are killing the animal. Stop feeding them, signs everywhere but you think you are exempt really? If you have every fed one you are the cause. You gave the burro a death sentence. People never learn cause and results and live for the moment. I cannot tell you how many times I have come across the 95s in Parker with a car stopped in the road feeding burros. Wish we could shoot the people feeding them...can't but however I have seen them fined when caught.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Those burros are sure tough to hunt....geez you actually need a carrot as bait

grumpy88

Reaction score
Parker area rounded up 480 over the last year and relocated them to northern CA. Why, because they have become way to aggressive. I have experienced the aggressiveness myself. There are still some around. Why are they aggressive, because they are expecting to be fed. Anyone who is caught feeding a burros should know they are killing the animal. Stop feeding them, signs everywhere but you think you are exempt really? If you have every fed one you are the cause. You gave the burro a death sentence. People never learn cause and results and live for the moment. I cannot tell you how many times I have come across the 95s in Parker with a car stopped in the road feeding burros. Wish we could shoot the people feeding them...can't but however I have seen them fined when caught.
First off you can fuck off ! We have fed them on the golf course when we first started going to the river . Sorry we were not born perfect like you ! I disagree about them being aggressive due to food . They have become incredibly inbreed due to never leaving there protected environment . If you would like to back up your post on willing to handle the problem pm me and I will give you my address and you can come try !

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more. Just like they say, ‘a fed bear is a dead bear’, same with the burros, same for most all wildlife.

‘Lucky’s Wife’

NicPaus

Reaction score
Shooting someone for feeding them is a little extreme. But I have seen it a few times where they get aggressive when someone feeding them runs out of food. They learn a food source and go back for more. We no longer have to deal with them as they blocked them out.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I guess Nobody on here has ever read "Brighty of the Grand Canyon"
Good book for kids under 10. :cool:

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
I guess Nobody on here has ever read "Brighty of the Grand Canyon"
Good book for kids under 10. :cool:

Lots of kid books involve Donkeys and burros...In a positive way, the way it should be..
BTW, I can remember as a kid feeding bears, (Yellowstone about 1952), out a partially open 50 Merc side window.. My crazy Uncle was outside of his car (51 Nash) standing beside our front fender headlight area taking pictures.. And yes, feeding wild creatures, of any kind, was a bad thing to do, and you can't do that anymore as they have ran most all the bears far away from the tourists.. Still, as a kid it was an exciting experience.. Just as were the National Park "Fire side" evening Ranger stories... Oh yeah, can't forget the educational value of "Smoky the Bear"... And yeah, we were forced out of Sequoia by a forest fire on another trip...
30+ states by car before I was 13... Thanks to my parents... All that was before 1960, "What a ride"... (Sorry for the thread jack)...
Ray

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Dumb post..

First off you can fuck off ! We have fed them on the golf course when we first started going to the river . Sorry we were not born perfect like you ! I disagree about them being aggressive due to food . They have become incredibly inbreed due to never leaving there protected environment . If you would like to back up your post on willing to handle the problem pm me and I will give you my address and you can come try !

Dumber post..

boatnam2

Reaction score

They just rounded them up little more then a year ago, didn't see one for almost a year. Now they are over the place again.

McKay

Reaction score
Just another stupid government program gone wrong. They are not native. Just stupid. Most of you are small gov people. This goes completely against that notion. I live about 7-8 miles from one of these containment facilities. Where they are just fed semi loads of alfalfa till they die. They try and auction off the animals yearly. There is rarely an animal worth a shit for any real horseman to do anything with.

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060037142

Not saying what went on here is right but my opinion the excess animals should be culled instead of contained for life on the taxpayer dime.

NicPaus

Reaction score
They just rounded them up little more then a year ago, didn't see one for almost a year. Now they are over the place again.

Saw 2 more deer hit on Parker dam rd. One last weekend and 1 2 weekend before. Moving back in even a few big horn sightings. Heard the burros chased them off.