WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Seriously?

Taboma

Reaction score
" Im trying to buy simple LED light bulbs "
" Simple " is the problem, it's an illusion created by the LED industry's marketing departments. " Simple " was incandescent, getting the proper LED replacement or new install with coordinated dimming and control can result in extreme frustration and mental anguish. 🀬

I've retro-fitted a few of my existing fluorescent fixtures performing the ballast by-pass. Straight forward once I figured out if I needed Single End or Double Ended style tubes (Based on the type of tombstones and existing wiring). πŸ‘

At Costco the other day I figured I'd just buy several boxes of their 4' Feit " Plug and Play " replacements, felt lazy I suppose.
Of course there's that tiny little note well concealed on the box that states to check on the Feit website for ballast compatibility. Well fuck, it's not like I carry a card showing my ballast catalog numbers and figuring WTF they're not that old and I knew they had electronic ballasts, not the old magnetic, so odds were in my favor and it's a light bulb, not a thermal nuclear device. πŸ€”

Got home, tried a pair in one of my 4' Lithonia wrap bench lights. Turned on, looked great, easy deal so high-fives, let's have a beer. Turned it off, went to drink to my success, returned a short while later and hit the switch ---- NOTHING, prick won't turn on now. Fiddled with it, rotated in the sockets, swore at it, NOTHING, game over, you lose sucka. Put the old fluorescent lamps back in, hoping I hadn't fried my ballast, BINGO, let there be light. Checked the internet, seems that's a rather common symptom that results from ballast incompatibility. Checked the Feit website, sure enough out of several pages of listed ballasts that MIGHT work, mine wasn't on the list -- FUCK. 😀

Next day I figured I'd experiment. Unboxed another one, tried them in a different, yet similar fixture, again with a modern electronic ballast. The LED lamps lit, but barely, very dim. 🀯

Took them all back, guy didn't even ask why, I'm guessing they get a lot of this.

SO SIMPLE, ha ha ha ha πŸ˜‚

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Nothing is simple anymore.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😒🚀
Reaction score
Wife came home with 2, 2 packs of LED 4' bulbs from the Depot. Kitchen has 4 single, 4' bulbs. Guy at the Depot said they're very easy to change out. Well, he was right and after ME trying to make it as difficult as I could, inventing NEW cuss words, not taking my time or trusting the instructions, I read them completely and Holy Chit, the kitchen lighting looks like an opening night of a Hollywood event. The ballasts just needed by-passing. Best part is wife is VERY happy!!!

Taboma

Reaction score
Wife came home with 2, 2 packs of LED 4' bulbs from the Depot. Kitchen has 4 single, 4' bulbs. Guy at the Depot said they're very easy to change out. Well, he was right and after ME trying to make it as difficult as I could, inventing NEW cuss words, not taking my time or trusting the instructions, I read them completely and Holy Chit, the kitchen lighting looks like an opening night of a Hollywood event. The ballasts just needed by-passing. Best part is wife is VERY happy!!!

Yes, the odds of the ballast by-pass method being successful seem to be much better than those simple "Plug and Play", plus there's no future ballast issues to crop up.

Trying to compare an output lumen comparison between LEDs and fluorescent lamps is usually misleading. The LEDs are usually 180 degrees as measured, the fluorescent are 360, with essentially half of those lumens being reflected, not direct.
I've been most pleased with the brighter output on the ones I've replaced. Also unlike the fluorescent, the LEDs should remain bright, unlike the fluorescent that gradually go dimmer as they age.
I'm awaiting a shipment of 24 LED double-end feed ballast bypass types, no more SIMPLE Plug and Play for me. 😁

Mototrig

Reaction score
I bought some simple LED light bulbs from ACE Hardware for my shower yesterday. Simulated 60 watt's.... $10 for 2.
Not simple enough? 😁

Taboma

Reaction score
I bought some simple LED light bulbs from ACE Hardware for my shower yesterday. Simulated 60 watt's.... $10 for 2.
Not simple enough? 😁

I dunno, how many temperature colors did you have to choose from ? 🀯 Most the screw-ins are straight forward, unless of course you want to dim them. o_O

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Im talking about these. Maybe i should hop in my peterbilt and drive to AZ in the left lane @ 53 mph to get some πŸ‘πŸ€ 

2878F1DF-6821-4D39-8E40-FD6AA9268E91.png
8BF05337-CDD4-4CD0-85BD-4BBB3EF82036.png

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Im talking about these. Maybe i should hop in my peterbilt and drive to AZ in the left lane @ 53 mph to get some ...

How much does a full truck load of light bulbs weigh?

Surely there's enough horsepower to travel double nickel...

Left lane and large cars. Yes.

Dan'l

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Not Prop65 compliant.
Order them on ebay, you'll get em.
I've had to do ebay on a handful of everyday normal shit. Just did it last week for a can of zippo butane to refill a lighter.
Walked into lowes and bought Them. Weird

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
There must be something new with the LED fluorescent replacement bulbs. 2 years ago, or so, I replaced every bulb in the house with LEDs, including 5 different size/type Fluorescent fixtures. No issues with any of them.

Joe mama

Reaction score
" Simple " is the problem, it's an illusion created by the LED industry's marketing departments. " Simple " was incandescent, getting the proper LED replacement or new install with coordinated dimming and control can result in extreme frustration and mental anguish. 🀬

I've retro-fitted a few of my existing fluorescent fixtures performing the ballast by-pass. Straight forward once I figured out if I needed Single End or Double Ended style tubes (Based on the type of tombstones and existing wiring). πŸ‘

At Costco the other day I figured I'd just buy several boxes of their 4' Feit " Plug and Play " replacements, felt lazy I suppose.
Of course there's that tiny little note well concealed on the box that states to check on the Feit website for ballast compatibility. Well fuck, it's not like I carry a card showing my ballast catalog numbers and figuring WTF they're not that old and I knew they had electronic ballasts, not the old magnetic, so odds were in my favor and it's a light bulb, not a thermal nuclear device. πŸ€”

Got home, tried a pair in one of my 4' Lithonia wrap bench lights. Turned on, looked great, easy deal so high-fives, let's have a beer. Turned it off, went to drink to my success, returned a short while later and hit the switch ---- NOTHING, prick won't turn on now. Fiddled with it, rotated in the sockets, swore at it, NOTHING, game over, you lose sucka. Put the old fluorescent lamps back in, hoping I hadn't fried my ballast, BINGO, let there be light. Checked the internet, seems that's a rather common symptom that results from ballast incompatibility. Checked the Feit website, sure enough out of several pages of listed ballasts that MIGHT work, mine wasn't on the list -- FUCK. 😀

Next day I figured I'd experiment. Unboxed another one, tried them in a different, yet similar fixture, again with a modern electronic ballast. The LED lamps lit, but barely, very dim. 🀯

Took them all back, guy didn't even ask why, I'm guessing they get a lot of this.

Maybe you can get ahold of Dave’s electrician to figure that shit out for ya..lmao

Joe mama

Reaction score

Maybe you can get ahold of Dave’s electrician to figure that shit out for ya..lmao

Mototrig

Reaction score
I dunno, how many temperature colors did you have to choose from ? 🀯 Most the screw-ins are straight forward, unless of course you want to dim them. o_O

All they had was bright white at ACE

15948643595162256301384384074887.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
All they had was bright white at ACE

View attachment 899196

I like 3,000K for inside the house. If I get up to 3500K (LIke in the laundry room), my wife starts to squawk a bit. She's fair skinned and being able to trace her blood vessels clearly like a road map doesn't appeal to her. :oops: I'll go 5,000 K in my shop.

retaocleg

Reaction score
i'm thinking the street cred is about nill for smuggling...........lightbulbs

maybe your cellie will give you a hood pass if you tell him you had a trunk full of straws too?