WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Service boot help!!!!!

Old Man Havasu

Reaction score
My son was accepted to the San Bernardino County Sheriffs Dept. Academy starting 7/10.
We've tried boots at the uniform store and a few others. Ordered some nice Danners from Zappos.
He has a long narrow foot and he gets too much heel movement and with the running miles he's going to log they need to fit snug or his heel will melt.

Who in a 50 mile radius has a solid selection of service boots? Where do the rest of you officer's and deputies go?

Any help is appreciated!!

Gary
951-316-1178

KNOTONDUTY

Reaction score
Either gals uniform in riverside or p&p uniforms also in riverside. I like p&p, just personal preference.
Also get some inserts for the boots. It helped me a lot.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I'm not LEO, but have spent years in service boots. His situation depends a lot on what his department allows and what he will be using them for. Does he need steel toes (usually don't)? Do they need to be polishable? Zipper or lace requirements? A lot of "hiking" boot companies are turning to service industry. I'm a huge fan of Vasque boots. Also Under Armor is making pretty comfortable boots now. Many of the cops I work with have gone to all black running shoes for their daily uniform. I understand this most likely isn't possible in his academy. I have gone to a lot of the "service" stores and find their prices to be on the utterly outrageous side, especially for someone just getting into a career. Tell him to set up accounts at govx.com and theclimb.com to find some great deals once he narrows down what he likes.

Oh, and a big congratulations to him!

LAPII

Reaction score
Galls sepulveda and centinela....or LA Police gear in Santa Clarita....or LA Academy in Elysian park.

Get415

Reaction score
Danner makes a great boot that should last him a very long time. Although they will most definitely need a gel insert or some the of good cushion. They don't offer a lot of cushion out of the box

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Best advice I ever got for new boots was, get em soakin wet, then walk em dry.

Like throw them in the bathtub for an hour types of wet..
Don't wear them the day after, to let your feet recover a bit, but I've never had better fitting boots than doing that.
I always wore red wing.

KNOTONDUTY

Reaction score
RSO academy required our boots to be polished. At all times. I'm pretty sure San Bernardino is the same. I used rockys in the academy. They polished up real nice, but we not the best for running in.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
With a foot like you are describing you are going to have the same problem no matter what you buy off the shelf. It's gonna come down to in-soles and inserts to get tge fit right. They have pads that stick to the underside of the tongue that will push the foot into the heel. You need a boot guy/girl that understands orthotics. The older Mexican lady at industrial boots in walnut knows her boot fit. Corner of valley and Brea canyon.

Old Man Havasu

Reaction score
Danner makes a great boot that should last him a very long time. Although they will most definitely need a gel insert or some the of good cushion. They don't offer a lot of cushion out of the box

Tried Danners the shine up nice, I have some but just too wide. He has custom ortho inserts, but the boots are becoming a pain.

Jmp

Reaction score
Take them to a cobbler. They will shine them for less than you will spend on polish. Also spend the money to get good orthotic insoles. I'm sure he will be running a lot in those boots.

Ace450x

Reaction score
I have always liked Thorogoods. They are a bit easier to shine. The shape and stiffness of the toe box probably helps keep the shine a bit. It's been awhile and it may have changed, but I remember danners not shining as deep and being a pain with the smaller toe. Rocky was more comfortable, but the softer leather would case the layers of polish to crack every other month. A complete strip and shine won't be a top of his list of things to do while at liberty. Thorogood are Definitely not as comfortable as danner or rocky, though an insert would probably help that. They seem to have a narrower profile compared to others

Definitely check the academy regs first (polishable heel&toe, stitched on sole, no mesh, etc). Maybe even ask his background investigator or recruiter.