WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

setback or not?

dano214

Reaction score
What's the advantages of setting the pump back? I'm redoing a 77 hallett bubble deck and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the work to set it back or just leave it alone. I know it will give you more interior space but what's the performance gains and is it enough to justify all the labor?
Thanks

brendellajet

Reaction score
At some point it would be considered mandatory if you were trying to go fast. The space gained is a bonus, as is having the hand hole completely outside of the boat. Doing the setback alone probably won't offer much performance benefit, but adding a shoe/ride plate can help with handling and go fast issues should they arise. These tools allow tuning of the pump intake as well as the attitude of the boat at speed. A tricked out pump is nice to go along with these enhancements.

Before you do anything, I'd research the hull and see what it is capable speedwise if that's your motive. Otherwise, it's a ton of work, but is also a fun diy project if you take the time to research it. Been there, done that. Would I do it again? in a word, yes.

LuckyDaze

Reaction score
It really depends on the boat. You can screw up the way a boat handles by setting the pump back. The further back the pump goes the more leverage it has on the hull.

Chances are you won't notice much of a difference unless your runnin big power and even then you could mess up the efficiency of the hull.

brgrcru

Reaction score
I would not spend the money. If your looking to go 100+ then find another hull. You can do a lot with the jet with out the set back.

Even some early CPs did not have there pump set back and still buzz over a 100.