WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Seven Years Of Inconvenience And The Final Result Is This?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
The other day I drove down the east and westbound sides of the 10 freeway from the 57 to the 605. The construction work is all done finally, but I'm trying to figure our what exactly did they do? I do know that they definitely made the freeway surface much rougher than it was before, I hope they plan on coming back with that machine cuts the peaks and valleys on the road's surface (a resurfacer) to actually smooth out that section of the freeway so at least we'll have something to show for all the years and billions that were spent to make the road "look nicer". Pfftt.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Has the work on I5 in Santa fe Springs ever get finished? I remember when they started that, in 2007.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
7 years? I've been here for 9, and they were working on it long before I left! Hell, they started widening bridges probably in 07?

I wonder if it's as bad as the 10 at Fairplex...on a hard tail, bike was sketchy
as hell, tire hopping like a basketball!

Icky

Reaction score
They extended the carpool lane in those areas.

DWC

Reaction score
7 years? I've been here for 9, and they were working on it long before I left! Hell, they started widening bridges probably in 07?

I wonder if it's as bad as the 10 at Fairplex...on a hard tail, bike was sketchy
The 10 freeway from Pomona into LA is a cluster. My old CJ5 fit perfectly into each panel/section. At low/medium speeds it would buck all over the place. Hell of a ride.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
This constant building and rebuilding phenomenon has been going on for more than 7 years...probably closer to 65😉.
Honestly though, it never fails they finish a project and half year later it all gets torn up for another "remodel".

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
This constant building and rebuilding phenomenon has been going on for more than 7 years...probably closer to 65😉.
Honestly though, it never fails they finish a project and half year later it all gets torn up for another "remodel".
Well that's a given - it took them almost 30 years to do the 605/10 interchange, they get that done and then they start ripping up the freeway from there to the 57. Next they'll probably do the 10 from the 605 to the 710 just to piss us off.

Familyties

Reaction score
That is what you get when you choose the low bidder.

Cdog

Reaction score

I started hitting the 210 off the 15 when I go to Buttonwillow to avoid that nightmare. Much easier.

Bear Down

Reaction score
That whole stretch it a bitch... I lived in West Covina when they started the transition from 605 N to 10 East... early morning closures and lane widening construction in the early AM was a hassle going to work at 2 am.
... sure as shit..
Right when they finish upto Azusa Avenue... I moved to Upland in 2018 and they began the work all the way to the 15 fwy. That stretch from citrus to Frazier is the worse road work I have experienced.

Even effen worse than the 710 freeway in bell gardens/ Maywood.. they are repairing sections of it...I give them that. But that #3 lane is the roughest patch to drive on and beats the crap out of any car.

I hate the 10 and now they are starting to work on the 210 in between the 57/605 and 10/710 now.. so my alternate routes are also going to shit..
@Chili Palmer thanks for increasing my blood pressure today...lol

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I can still remember when the 405 wasn't there and I-5 only reached as far south as Oceanside.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I can still remember when the 405 wasn't there and I-5 only reached as far south as Oceanside.
Uh oh, you and @Taboma can talk about the good 'ol days of endless groves:)

Would have been a really good time time to be there!

fmo24

Reaction score
We rode our bicycles on the 405 when being built thru HB. Lived at magnolia and heil where the walk over is Just north of magnolia off ramp.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Just you watch...the carpool lane will soon become a FastPass lane all the way out to the 15

Orange County is studying the plan of Toll Lanes on every freeway within the county. LA has the 10, 110 and is looking at the 105. It's coming.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
You guys just need to ban trucks from California roads and your problem would be solved. 😉😬

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
You guys just need to ban trucks from California roads and your problem would be solved. 😉😬
Remember back in 06 when they had the Illegal Alien convention in Downtown LA, remember how empty the freeways were on that day? If we got rid of all the illegals.......

sintax

Reaction score
Remember back in 06 when they had the Illegal Alien convention in Downtown LA, remember how empty the freeways were on that day? If we got rid of all the illegals.......

haha see in any other state, this would have been a sting operation. They would have gotten them in the convention center, locked the doors and started processing.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
years ago when they were doing the 91 between 57 and 15 I called a talked to Caltrans about what seemed like a lot of work for no benifit. The answer I got was that the enviromentlists sue and they aren't allowed to increase the capacity of the freeways just try to improve what is there. Now adding carpool lanes is about all they can add anymore.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
its poor planning of caltrans in general. every single freeway is in some sort of "repair" at all times and its never "done" so there will always be patches for various things. its like they dont communicate with any other departments and always go with the lowest bidder. by far CA roadways are some of the worst freeways we've ever seen given our roadtrip across the US yet have the most money funneled to them with a hundred or so "taxes" and "fees" from just about everything. tires, registration, tickets, state tax, etc.

Taboma

Reaction score
Uh oh, you and @Taboma can talk about the good 'ol days of endless groves:)

Would have been a really good time time to be there!

You rang 😁 Dang nab smudge pots got the air all hazy on this fine winter day (Note, the snow on Saddleback).

Actually, when I was a young-un, there was no I-5, we had PCH, then along the coast from Laguna South to O-Side, it was mostly a 3 lane, the center lane being the infamous "Suicide" or "Chicken" lane. Same as through Santa Ana Canyon, the head-on wrecks were seriously nasty messes.

Lemon Heights .jpg

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Anyone work on the 8 from Ocotillo to Yuma? Used to travel that road many times going off-roading in the winter. Road was always good.

We left and went full timing in Jan 2017 and went that same way. Road was good. Can't remember when we came back that way, but think it was 2018. Road was all torn up for many miles and getting replaced. This was out in the middle of nowhere. Couldn't understand why they were doing it.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
The other day I drove down the east and westbound sides of the 10 freeway from the 57 to the 605. The construction work is all done finally, but I'm trying to figure our what exactly did they do? I do know that they definitely made the freeway surface much rougher than it was before, I hope they plan on coming back with that machine cuts the peaks and valleys on the road's surface (a resurfacer) to actually smooth out that section of the freeway so at least we'll have something to show for all the years and billions that were spent to make the road "look nicer". Pfftt.
That job is so screwed up, rough road…those are speed bumps! I seriously get a headache in some of those lanes.

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
That stretch of I-10 wasn't bad before they dug it all up. Cal-trans made it worse than it already.

Roads in az aren't as bad depending on the area, but I definitely do NOT miss socal freeways and traffic. Some of the shittiest around, along with some areas in texas.

nowski

Reaction score
While driving down to Newport Beach with my son to go visit an old buddy of mine, I ask my son what just changed and what's so different here?

My son say's it's the road dad look how pristine they are and then it dawned on me, I got a taste of wealth without leaving the car...

robert1050

Reaction score
You guys forget that CalTrans's mission statement is :

Make the roads worse to inconveniece drivers, to force everyone to take public transport. What do you expect from a Government agency that 1500 more engineers, than they need?

Just look at the 22 widening project from a few years ago. The W22 to N405/606 is a travesty! They spent 4 years making it worse!