WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shingles, how do you deal with them

wallnutz

Reaction score
So Saturday morning I wake up with some red splotches on my face, don't think to much of them, maybe just skin irritation. So by Saturday afternoon I start getting what I think is a tooth ache, my face is slightly swollen, so think ya maybe getting an impacted tooth. Sunday morning I wake up and bam, the splotches have doubled and I am in a lot of pain. The left side of my face is swollen, my teeth hurt, my ear hurt, pretty much the whole left side of my face hurt. So off to the ER I go. They tell me I am having some kind of allergic reaction and to take some benadryl and aspirin and call my Dr. in the morning. I call BS and have another ER Dr. take a look and he tells me it could be shingles, but sticks with the other Dr's, diagnosis. So I can't sleep Sunday night I am in so much pain, so I leave a desperate message on my Dr's on call line for an appointment for first thing Monday morning. I get right in and the first thing she says is you have shingles. So I start on an anti viral drug and some nerve blocker for the pain. The problem is the nerve blocker takes a couple days to really start working. No over the counter aspirin, Advil, Tylenol, or ibuprofen kills the pain. What the hell do people do to help? I have tried a bunch of home remedies and the only temporary help is a heat pack. This afternoon the pain is easing a little, but god damn it still hurts. Any ideas?

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you are suffering with this. My buddy who had shingles said, sleep as much as possible.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Dr. said she recommends over 50, wish I knew. I'm 49, and I recommend everybody get it, screw what your Dr. recommends.

boatpi

Reaction score
I have had it twice, last time on face like you.

Get the right anabiotic's it'll start cleaning up by the end of the third day and be completely dark on by the fifth day!!

welldigger00

Reaction score
My brother in law has had it, maybe still does? If you’d like for me to try to connect you with him, he might have some info for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Dude nothing really helps with the pain.

Some say smoking a lot of weed so it puts you to sleep helps. You cal also go to A TJ clinic where they have some European (but not FDA approved) ozone therapy dealio that supposedly lowers the viral load.

Got it two years ago, mostly the right side of my torso. Felt like some one stabbing me with a white-hot sword. Body had zero energy, like the worst flu I've ever had. Put me on my ass for nearly three weeks.

Sleep meds also help, laying in bed all day means I had a hard time sleeping at night.

Weird thing, once I "got better" I still had periodic pain that slowly got more infrequent...then I had some localized irritation where the sores were.

Wifey looked, all the sores turned to small blackheads...periodic pain went away once the blackheads were removed/squeezed out.

Sounds gross, but found on google that it's not uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wallnutz

Reaction score
I have had it twice, last time on face like you.

Get the right anabiotic's it'll start cleaning up by the end of the third day and be completely dark on by the fifth day!!
Hopefully got me on the right stuff, my Dr. knew right away what it was. She seemed to know right off the top of her head what the treatment would be. Hope it's only a couple more days, I have been hearing horror stories of lasting for weeks.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I had it once, on my face. You just have to take the meds and keep your hands away from touching your face for a while. I still have a small scar from picking at it when it was clearing up. Sorry you have to go through this. It will clear up over time.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Call your DR and demand something for the pain, tell them it's unbearable, personally I like Percoset.....that shit and a beer will let you cut your finger off and not care. :p
Percoset doesn't touch it, but does let me get some sleep.

wallnutz

Reaction score
If it's on your face, be VERY THANKFUL it's not in your eye.

Google it, not pretty. Can lose sight.

It's close, there is a spot right next to and right under my eye. Doc said watch that close, and for any signs of blurred vision. It's actually into my ear, and that's the only place it itches so far.

snafu

Reaction score
Just went through this last month, full scalp down to the middle of the forehead. Dr. prescribed 10 days of prednisone, and another Rx to help with neuropathy. Worst part I thought was the two days of fever and chills. About day 5 both eyes were swollen and looked like Mike Tyson landed a couple. About day 10 I peeled like a a Havasu tan.

Dr said they (Kaiser) won't give the shingles shot until your 60. Mostly because of cost and the fact that the vaccine is only effective for 10-12 yrs.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Wife got them a year or so ago on her back, excruciating. Took many weeks to get over, left her with scars, still randomly has pain. I ended up with chicken pox(never had them), 8 yr old daughter got them also even with the vaccine.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
400mg Zovirax 3 times a day.

This is why I stay out of the sun, get a sun burn and it will be back.

I usually take 200mg once a day when I'm at the river just to make sure it stays away.

Painful stuff man. I feel for ya. :(

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any info :( Just wanted to say that I hope you are feeling better soon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

buck35

Reaction score
Call your DR and demand something for the pain, tell them it's unbearable, personally I like Percoset.....that shit and a beer will let you cut your finger off and not care. :p
This is kind of funny or maybey ironic . Many years ago i lopped the end of my finger off at work just hangin by a thread , doc sews it back on and sends me home and says come back in tomorrow . About 2 hours later the pain hits and im pounding beers with one hand held high. The next day i go see him and asked how i was doing and i say not bad now but i killed, a six pack for pain last night. He says oh, i didnt give you any painkillers did i ...

wallnutz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and the well wishes. I wouldn't wish this stuff on anybody.

Nerve blockers seemed to kick in a little more over night. My teeth and ear still have the sharp shooting pain, but it has eased. One of our friends recommended getting some ointment with aspirin in it, guess I will grab some this morning and see. I have another issue now that I didn't think about, should I shave or just let my beard grow over the sores?

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
They put me on Valtrex when I had them. The initial pain and sickness was no fun, but what really sucked was when the pox started to heal. They'd itch to no end and woe be you to actually scratch them.

I was working and couldn't take narcotic pain killers, so 800mg of Advil two hours later Tylenol kept thing on an even keel.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Never knew there was a vaccine for shingles. I had shingles when I was 33 (22 years ago). Mine was on the side (forget which side) of my torso. I just remember that I could not wear a shirt. Anything touching the blisters would send me through the roof. I spent a week or so just laying on the couch..... I couldn't imagine having it on my face. Hope you get better soon!

boatpi

Reaction score
Everyday it will get better, the meds truly work.

charlyox

Reaction score
My uncle is just getting over shingles. He had it on his eye and the left side of his body. He said it is the worst thing he has ever experienced. I went and got the shot.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Need the Herps pills.

I am 35 had it last year. 5-7 days gone. Cold Showers also made it feel way better.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
The wife got shingles at about 30. moved down into her ear. Hearing loss and vertigo were not the most fun. Some minor permanent damage from that one......

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My buddy just went through this. Weed for the pain and the boredom. Lots of rest.

charitycase

Reaction score
Sleep! I hadn't last year. Sucks bad. Turned my 6'3" 250b ass Into a crybaby. Vicodin & Budweiser took the edge off. Sorry to hear Bud. Again,SLEEP

wallnutz

Reaction score
So it's been two weeks since this stuff showed up on my face. There are just a few pox left and a little scabbing. I still have a few shooting pains, but nothing like it was. For a week and a half it was pure misery. After a couple of days of trying to take it easy, I said screw it and went to work as usual, no sense of sitting around in pain that wouldn't go away. I wish this shit on no one. The aspirin cream did help when used with a warm heating pad.
400mg Zovirax 3 times a day.

This is why I stay out of the sun, get a sun burn and it will be back.

I usually take 200mg once a day when I'm at the river just to make sure it stays away.

Painful stuff man. I feel for ya. :(
I asked the Dr. about being in the sun and being more susceptible to it again, and she didn't think that was the case. But did say try to keep the areas that had the pox covered because it has caused some tissue damage that could become troublesome laer down the road.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So it's been two weeks since this stuff showed up on my face. There are just a few pox left and a little scabbing. I still have a few shooting pains, but nothing like it was. For a week and a half it was pure misery. After a couple of days of trying to take it easy, I said screw it and went to work as usual, no sense of sitting around in pain that wouldn't go away. I wish this shit on no one. The aspirin cream did help when used with a warm heating pad.

I asked the Dr. about being in the sun and being more susceptible to it again, and she didn't think that was the case. But did say try to keep the areas that had the pox covered because it has caused some tissue damage that could become troublesome laer down the road.

My doc told me you only get it once and it never comes back. He was totally full of shit.

It's part of the herpes family. It's an opportunist virus. Which means it will pop up when your immune system is down.

Sun, stress, lack of sleep. All the things we do at the river that wear your body down. I think most doctors don't do what we do.

The good news is it won't be as bad next time it pops up. Your body now knows how to fight it.

They make Zovirax cream as well. That's what they should have gave you.

Cole Canadian

Reaction score

Had shingles on the right side of my face (temple) and eye.
Was the most painful experience I've had in my life.... It's like some 300lb gorilla standing on your head and smashing a 40lb sledge into the side of it every time your heart beats!
I was in my late 30's at the time and the side effects are still present today ( numbness and loss of control of facial expression).
If you can get the vaccine, get it, drugs do not really do anything to numb the pain involved with it.
The only positive thing is that I didn't loose my eyesight, a lot of cases do.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Shit. I had it in my 20's and it wasnt fun

I thought you only got it once like chicken pox

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Any side effects to the shingles vaccine? Just last week my dr suggested I get it..

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Sorry your going thru this Hope you get better soon , just reminded me to get my second dose (two dose regiment) .... re side effects . none for me from the injection

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
I just went through getting Shingles on Christmas Day brought on by stress from my boss and it is a PITA. Go to your primary care physician or to a walk in medical clinic ASAP. The earlier you get an antiviral on board (you may limit some of the impact)along with Nuerontin/Gabapentin and your preference of pain killer. I chose to treat pain with Aleve for 3 week then switched to Tylenol. Still have numbness in chest region one of the areas I had blisters/lesions. An occasional itch 1” below the skin on my shoulder. Always seems to occur in the evening. If I get stressed out or anxiety I can still feel a weird sensitivity in the area I had blisters. I have been told I could still experience a breakout if I get pushed over the limit. Now the shitty part, when I was 3-4 weeks in with Shingles my immune system was real low due to meds and I contracted COVID; 10 days with a fever, aches, pain, extreme fatigue, taste loss ect. After 2 weeks of this shit I could hardly breathe and could walk to the bathroom or or up a few stairs without loosing my breath and would have to rest. After going back to Med Clinic to treat I was also diagnosed with Patchy Pneumonia. It mostly resolved mid February. I was fortunate to be in good health and not overweight. I urge all of you inmates over the age of 45 to take this very seriously and go get the shingles vaccine ASAP! This is nothing you want to mess with. Do it now and spread the word. Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladsm

Reaction score
My dad had shingles at New Years from stress. He took Gabapentin and just had to ride it out. He is 77 and is just now getting back to his normal energy levels.

oldseddie

Reaction score
Theraworks. When my dad got shingles a friend suggested it and it did more than anything else he tried.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

78Southwind

Reaction score

I had it in my late 30's on my cheek right below my right eye. Doctor said I was lucky that we caught it early. It was gone in a week with no serious side effects.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

C-2

Reaction score
The last time I had an episode it was below the skin and would come and go - so there was nothing to see. Whenever it happens, wife and daughter just roll their eyes and call me a pussy, lol.

I'm gonna get the vaccine but since I just received the Pfizer vaccine...will wait a while.