WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shipping a Fire Extinguisher to Hawaii

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Dropped off a clients Porsche GT3rs to be shipped to Hawaii and they would not allow the Fire Ext that comes with the car to stay in the car for shipment..

Called UPS and Fed Ex and apparently you have to be a registered HAZ MAT shipper to do this??

A new one is $1500 ish.....

Anyone?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Dropped off a clients Porsche GT3rs to be shipped to Hawaii and they would not allow the Fire Ext that comes with the car to stay in the car for shipment..

Called UPS and Fed Ex and apparently you have to be a registered HAZ MAT shipper to do this??

A new one is $1500 ish.....

Anyone?

This is the ultimate conglomeration of a state with dumb rules and a company with ridiculous prices on its parts. $1700 for a fire ext?

waterhorse

Reaction score
It's due to it being a pressure vessel.
On board a ship I would think it would be fine, just stupid rules.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Box up your “vitamix” and ship it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My client said that exact same thing, I told with my luck it would explode mid flight and I would be " That Guy" on the news... No thanks.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
You might give Kidde customer service a call. They are going through a huge recall right now on plastic handled extinguishers, and on the mainland, shipping them by Fed Ex ground. I imagine they have a method by which they're shipping individual replacements to Hawaii...ask them how they do it.

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score
This is the ultimate conglomeration of a state with dumb rules and a company with ridiculous prices on its parts. $1700 for a fire ext?

The state you're thinking of is the United States of America. The FAA is a Federal agency. I don't have the complete set of FAA rules and regulations in front of me, but I'm sure rules regarding shipping pressurized fire extinguishers is in there somewhere.

Singleton

Reaction score
The state you're thinking of is the United States of America. The FAA is a Federal agency. I don't have the complete set of FAA rules and regulations in front of me, but I'm sure rules regarding shipping pressurized fire extinguishers is in there somewhere.

Not sure it is being shipped via air. That is crazy $$, most cars are freight on a boat

Singleton

Reaction score
Can you turn in item at local dealership and client pick one up in Hawaii for a small price?

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
You might give Kidde customer service a call. They are going through a huge recall right now on plastic handled extinguishers, and on the mainland, shipping them by Fed Ex ground. I imagine they have a method by which they're shipping individual replacements to Hawaii...ask them how they do it.

It’s a $1500.00 extinguisher I highly doubt kiddie makes it.

gqchris

Reaction score
Hey Jeff get a hold of Brian. 454rocket. Thats what he does for his business. He will know what to do! Text me if you need his number!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I have shipped many cars to the islands. They will not allow items to be left in the car to be shipped. I’d assume that is the case. However......if it is from the factory you could push that issue. Kind of like a spare tire it is not part of the car but you can ship it with the vehicle. If it is not factory that is another story.

Best of luck to you and I hope they don’t mess up the car like they did with my Corvette.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Shipping a Porsche GT3RS to Hawaii is like putting an ocean liner on Havasu - it could fit but why bother? Have you seen the roads there?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
It’s a $1500.00 extinguisher I highly doubt kiddie makes it.

I know they don't make it, but they're good at shipping fire extinguishers, and I'll bet they've shipped one or 2 to Hawaii...ask them how they ship to Hawaii.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Edit: at the end of the day you’re (client) shipping at GT3 to Hawaii. You can swing an extinguisher lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't short change his customer. You forgot the RS. Big difference. :D

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Shipping a Porsche GT3RS to Hawaii is like putting an ocean liner on Havasu - it could fit but why bother? Have you seen the roads there?

I'm not sure what island the car is going to, but I just spent a week on Kauai and was wishing for an RS every day. Take a look at the 550 and 552 up to Waimea Canyon

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I'm not sure what island the car is going to, but I just spent a week on Kauai and was wishing for an RS every day. Take a look at the 550 and 552 up to Waimea Canyon

Me too. And I drove that route as well. In the Chevy Cruze rental car which was almost enough car for that route. Of course a 911 (especially a GT3RS) would be better/more fun to drive there it's still taking a howitzer to a knife fight. There are much better roads for that car and they're all on the mainland.

And Magnum was driving a Ferrari that couldn't keep up with today's Mustang GT

Of course when I win both lotteries this week I'll buy my own island in Hawaii and a road just for my car collection on that island o_O

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Paging @coolchange
Bruce might know
We would hide little stuff
Don't know what size or shape but camouflage it as a catch can or smog canister etc under the hood.
Had a guy that was shipping a car to Australia. He was filling that thing up. He was pissed when I told him they wouldn't ship it that way LOL.

Last edited: