WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shlbynto any updates on the kid?

attitude

Reaction score
List looks great, lots of useful stuff. Kudos to your friends who help you put it together!

P.S. this has to be the most awesome thing that has happened on RDP since I’ve joined, wishing you two the best of luck!

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
I think it’s absolutely AMAZING that you are stepping up to be Uncle Dad. Who are you kidding, you’ll be floundering a lot over the years, every parent does. That’s part of life’s lessons. Don’t be too proud to ever ask for help, it takes a village.

Continued prayers for you & the little one on the journey ahead and for your family as well.
🙏✝️🙏

“Mrs.”

4Waters

Reaction score
I think it’s absolutely AMAZING that you are stepping up to be Uncle Dad. Who are you kidding, you’ll be floundering a lot over the years, every parent does. That’s part of life’s lessons. Don’t be too proud to ever ask for help, it takes a village.

Continued prayers for you & the little one on the journey ahead and for your family as well.
🙏✝️🙏

“Mrs.”
Since they are living in the south maybe "Uncle Dad" isn't the best term to use🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Breck, I met you only briefly this past year. Always respected your mechanical knowledge, and that you were another refugee that fled a once great state. At a young age, you've done a lot, and my guess is also learned a lot as well.

All that, seriously, pales in comparison to the respect I have for you now. When I was 10, my older sister did roughly the same thing your's did. I was 10, had no clue about anything, but knew enough to see she wasn't fit at all. You are able to make a change for this child. Not just that, but you are doing so.

Many people talk about effort and change, but most lack the motivation to try. You sir, are truly far and away a better man than most.
You have my respect, and that of many others I am sure.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
20230126_073706.jpg
20230126_080927.jpg

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
@Shlbyntro Hope you made it home safe. How’s the dad life going?

not yet, I stayed at the Hotel El Capitan in Van Horn last night with the final drive home today. unfortunately were looking at some weather ahead today. the trip has been relatively uneventful thus far although Marlee I think is about done with being strapped into a car seat for hours on end. She was rather fussy and cranky yesterday.

Last edited:

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
not yet, I stayed at the Hotel El Capitan in Van Horn last night with the final drive home today. unfortunately were looking at some weather ahead today. the trip has been relatively uneventful thus far although Marlee I think is about done with being strapped into a car seat for hours on end. She was rather fussy and cranky yesterday.

and now I'm crying on a Tuesday morning... she's adorable, and you... amazing. As a mom who spent many years single with 2 boys, childcare is indeed a huge stressor. I commend you Breck, and congratulation on the beginning of a wonderful journey! My quick unsolicited advice: Take pics and mental notes of everything she does, they grow way too fast. Don't be afraid to walk away when you get frustrated, and rely on friends and family for help. She's not gonna need a lot here in the beginning, just someone to snuggle her and make her feel safe, which you already have given her. ❤️🖤❤️ Looking forward to following your and Marlee's adventures!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
WoooHooooo!

That kid is absolutely adorable. Congratulations and best wishes on what you are trying to accomplish!!!

You've earned about a zillion karma points on this deal.

Now...

Good luck getting any sleep! 😁😁😁
He's got more karma credit than any of us knew existed👍

As for sleep, I think he's been training for this, just didn't know it. I figure he's on here as late as I am...with the whole time zone thing, he's a pro-night owl.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
nope, Im just an insomniac.
Trust me, it isn't a bad thing. It can actually be used to an advantage, with or without kids. For the better part of 17 years now, I average 4-5 hours of sleep, and mostly dreamless.
I catch up on reading and research when the kids and wife are snoozing. Always been awake when a kid has a nightmare, sick, etc.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Trust me, it isn't a bad thing. It can actually be used to an advantage, with or without kids. For the better part of 17 years now, I average 4-5 hours of sleep, and mostly dreamless.
I catch up on reading and research when the kids and wife are snoozing. Always been awake when a kid has a nightmare, sick, etc.

I consider 5 hours an amazing night of sleep

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I consider 5 hours an amazing night of sleep
For probably the first 5 or so years after my accident, a stretch of 2 hours was rare. I'd pretty much pass out, then wake up for a few hours. If I was lucky, I could fall back asleep. A lot of times I just watched the sunrise though. I think over time, the spinning in my brain has slowed down. That, or my body has just started to win the battle. I think that's why it's without dreams. Not like normal sleep, like blacking out. My body just says F' it, lights out.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
For probably the first 5 or so years after my accident, a stretch of 2 hours was rare. I'd pretty much pass out, then wake up for a few hours. If I was lucky, I could fall back asleep. A lot of times I just watched the sunrise though. I think over time, the spinning in my brain has slowed down. That, or my body has just started to win the battle. I think that's why it's without dreams. Not like normal sleep, like blacking out. My body just says F' it, lights out.
its never 5 hours straight. ill usually get a block of 2-3 hours somewhere between 11-3 and then another 1-2 hours sometimes between 5-7

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
its never 5 hours straight. ill usually get a block of 2-3 hours somewhere between 11-3 and then another 1-2 hours sometimes between 5-7
That's the main reason I go to bed so late. I basically push to "dead tired", so it forces my body to stop. There may have also been a period of nightmares from hell/PTSD type stuff thrown in there, that made me not want to sleep. The human brain is a weird thing.

clarence

Reaction score
Participants who used the weighted blanket reported that their insomnia symptom severity declined significantly... Furthermore, depressive symptoms and anxiety symptoms decreased much more for those who used the weighted blanket...

I've been using a weighted blanket for a couple months now. It helps.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I had no idea these even existed!

20230202_174346.jpg

Also, I just wanted to say thankyou again to everyone! That vast majority of these boxes are from River Daves Place 🥰🤩

I swear I almost died in a baby-stuff avalanche yesterday.
20230131_213503.jpg
20230131_213507.jpg

also, this little girl has more clothes than I know what to do with. starting her young I guess🤯😱

Attachments

• 20230201_121717.jpg
    20230201_121717.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Participants who used the weighted blanket reported that their insomnia symptom severity declined significantly... Furthermore, depressive symptoms and anxiety symptoms decreased much more for those who used the weighted blanket...

I've been using a weighted blanket for a couple months now. It helps.
Do you find you wake up to hot because of the weight blanket often? Wife and sleep with the window open and a very cool some would say cold room. 62 ish. I go in 2 hour spurts of sleep up for an hour repeat the process.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
and now I'm crying on a Tuesday morning... she's adorable, and you... amazing. As a mom who spent many years single with 2 boys, childcare is indeed a huge stressor. I commend you Breck, and congratulation on the beginning of a wonderful journey! My quick unsolicited advice: Take pics and mental notes of everything she does, they grow way too fast. Don't be afraid to walk away when you get frustrated, and rely on friends and family for help. She's not gonna need a lot here in the beginning, just someone to snuggle her and make her feel safe, which you already have given her. ❤️🖤❤️ Looking forward to following your and Marlee's adventures!

Yes to all of this. It's perfectly okay to let the baby cry in her crib for a few minutes alone. There will be times when you've changed her diaper, fed her, burped her, checked for fever . . . everything you can think of. And she is still screaming. In these instances, it's okay to put her in her crib, close the door, and take a mental break, outside if you need to. You will absolutely be frustrated. We've all been there.

Also, find some sort of gas relief drops or tablets.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Yes to all of this. It's perfectly okay to let the baby cry in her crib for a few minutes alone. There will be times when you've changed her diaper, fed her, burped her, checked for fever . . . everything you can think of. And she is still screaming. In these instances, it's okay to put her in her crib, close the door, and take a mental break, outside if you need to. You will absolutely be frustrated. We've all been there.

Also, find some sort of gas relief drops or tablets.
You will also very quickly I might add know when it is some sort of distress cry as opposed to the I want attention cry.
Props again to you sir. 👍👍

clarence

Reaction score
Do you find you wake up to hot because of the weight blanket often? Wife and sleep with the window open and a very cool some would say cold room. 62 ish. I go in 2 hour spurts of sleep up for an hour repeat the process.

No more than I did before the weighted blanket.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Protip... Those onesies are made to slip over the shoulders for those time when the poopy escapes the diaper. It's not a matter of if, but when... LOL...

LOL, I learned that with our granddaughter. Wish someone had told me this trick sooner o_O

SW_GLASS

Reaction score

View attachment 1195415

Wife and I figured you would like those for the little one being a socal transplant and all. My kids out grew them and I just wanted to see them go to a good home of a fellow boater versus good will. Glad you made it home safely and as everyone has said she is adorable. Cant wait to see the future threads documenting your guys adventures together.

mrs_glass

Reaction score

View attachment 1195415

Also, I just wanted to say thankyou again to everyone! That vast majority of these boxes are from River Daves Place 🥰🤩

I swear I almost died in a baby-stuff avalanche yesterday. View attachment 1195418 View attachment 1195417

also, this little girl has more clothes than I know what to do with. starting her young I guess🤯😱
I made an account just so I could follow this. We figured the onesies would be appreciated! Wanted to pass them on from one river family to another! 😘 so glad you have tons of stuff to get you started!

Attachments

• 20220901_085302.jpg
    20220901_085302.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 54

gordon

Reaction score
Is this the young kid that his Sister had a child a while ago and was unable to keep it. Sorry not too good at all this

poncho

Reaction score

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
I know you're busy Breck, but would love a little update and picture's!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Wow I am late to this thread.

Our little one is 13 months old and we're bursting at the seems with her stuff. If your interested I can tell my wife to hold onto all of it and bring it the next time we come up.

Let me know.
Am good with stuff I think at this point, RDP and the moms of Lakeway have been awesome! Im bursting with stuff too! lol
I know you're busy Breck, but would love a little update and picture's!
20230203_101125.jpg
20230202_105304.jpg
20230201_110007.jpg
20230204_142349.jpg