WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shockwave 28' Deckboat

Stayin'ontop

Reaction score
Buddy of mine is looking at building a new shockwave 28 deck and has some questions about motor options. he is looking at the 8.2 HO and is hesitant to step up to the 520 because of cost. anyone have the 28 deck with an 8.2 or know of any threads on here I can refer him to?

looking for some numbers and experience with how that power is in the 28'.

thanks everyone

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
You can never have too much HP , buy the big motor now so you don't regret it later . Also , the re-sale will be better with the bigger engine . Nobody ever said , with the exception of 2FF , I wish I had less HP ...

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have no personal expierence but from what I have seen/heard the shockwave is a big heavy boat and could absolutely use the bigger engine.

I bet the boat runs 62 mph with the HO and closer to 70 with the 520

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
You can never have too much HP , buy the big motor now so you don't regret it later . Also , the re-sale will be better with the bigger engine . Nobody ever said , with the exception of 2FF , I wish I had less HP ...
no, I said is there a way to detune a 525 with a programmer so I could let others drive the boat, and that turned into I wish I had a sailboat...lol

jholley

Your RDP Connection To Selman Chevrolet!!!
Reaction score
Tell him to spend the $$$ now and get the 520 or better.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Dirtbag has a 700 so I dont think he’s the one to talk to if a 8.2 is the way to go. Can almost guarantee he’s going to say you need more hp.

What is the up charge from the 8.2 to 520 or 540?

I would ditch options for bigger power if it was me. I also wouldn't buy a used deck with 8.2 power.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
@Dirtbag do you have any words of wisdom on the subject?

thanks guys
Buddy of mine is looking at building a new shockwave 28 deck and has some questions about motor options. he is looking at the 8.2 HO and is hesitant to step up to the 520 because of cost. anyone have the 28 deck with an 8.2 or know of any threads on here I can refer him to?

looking for some numbers and experience with how that power is in the 28'.

thanks everyone
how fast does he want to go?

/

Stayin'ontop

Reaction score
speed not a huge concern. my 2 cents was wanting to get that big ass boat on plane with 8-10 people in it. I think he said the upcharge from 8.2 to 520 is $15k

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
speed not a huge concern. my 2 cents was wanting to get that big ass boat on plane with 8-10 people in it. I think he said the upcharge from 8.2 to 520 is $15k

If getting on plane with 8-10 people is the concern, a 5 blade prop and deeper X dimension will turn it into the family truckster without issue. If you want to cruise at higher speeds you'll want the bigger motor though.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

I always laugh at this one. Finance $15K more up front to get $5K more when you sell it!

But that resale though!!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I bought sue a 2009 wildcat deck boat with a 496 ho for 62k out the door, traded it in more than 4 years later on a 2015 with a merc 525.. had to throw in 10K for the out the door price.. paid cash up front, so no juice...I've turned down 10k more that I paid for the boat... and to do it over, I would get the less power motor...no one likes going 80 plus in a deck boat in my group,... and no way in hell would I let some one drive it that fast with me in it...Sue likes 35-50 mph...

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I always laugh at this one. Finance $15K more up front to get $5K more when you sell it!

But that resale though!!

I think you would do ok on a 520 equipped boat when selling on the used market. I bet it would sell for close to 10K more as proven by 525 equipped stuff vs. HO.

Boats in general ar a horrible idea unless purchased used 5-8 years ago and depreciate like crazy but I think a factory mercury motor upgrade would do decent when comparing.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I bought sue a 2009 wildcat deck boat with a 496 ho for 62k out the door, traded it in more than 4 years later on a 2015 with a merc 525.. had to throw in 10K for the out the door price.. paid cash up front, so no juice...I've turned down 10k more that I paid for the boat... and to do it over, I would get the less power motor...no one likes going 80 plus in a deck boat in my group,... and no way in hell would I let some one drive it that fast with me in it...Sue likes 35-50 mph...

Boat prices in 2010-2014 were amazing by today's standards...lol

New and used boat prices are insane today...lol

We all should have stockpiled 210's and 240's back when they were 15-25K...hahaha

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
wow.... she has had this boat for over 4 yrs.....mar. of 2014

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I will say this. Bob builds a sturdy heavy great family boat. That being said if you are going to have a lot of people in the boat, please spend the extra $$$ to get the 520.

When we were building ours we were going the same route as your friend. We were going to just put a 520 in it. We werent and still arent worried about speed. But getting on plane and having that extra power will be beneficial when you need it. Towards the end of our build Bob talked us into the 600 and I cannot imagine having anything less in it. We are fat, we are a lot, and our boat is a beast with all the shit we carry.

the best words of wisdom i have heard on this forum from the get go was " you will never regret having too much power" It is absolutely true.

My honest answer is spend the money upgrade to the 520 Dont even think twice about it. It is an absolute no brainer!

He is spending at least 100k on his boat. whats 5k more?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Boat prices in 2010-2014 were amazing by today's standards...lol

New and used boat prices are insane today...lol

We all should have stockpiled 210's and 240's back when they were 15-25K...hahaha
yeah, I think the wildcats went up over 5k.... that a 1k per year hike....

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think you would do ok on a 520 equipped boat when selling on the used market. I bet it would sell for close to 10K more as proven by 525 equipped stuff vs. HO.

Boats in general ar a horrible idea unless purchased used 5-8 years ago and depreciate like crazy but I think a factory mercury motor upgrade would do decent when comparing.

I agree, it is a blue motor and will command more, but the resale on it falls at the same percentage as the boat. As you know any sentence with "new bote" and "resale" in it should end with "losing proposition".

What baffles me is why Merc leaves a 90 HP gap in their engine lineup between the 8.2HO and the 520. And then has 3 blue engines that make within 45 HP of one another, and 4 blue engines that make within 80 HP of one another.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I will say this. Bob builds a sturdy heavy great family boat. That being said if you are going to have a lot of people in the boat, please spend the extra $$$ to get the 520.

When we were building ours we were going the same route as your friend. We were going to just put a 520 in it. We werent and still arent worried about speed. But getting on plane and having that extra power will be beneficial when you need it. Towards the end of our build Bob talked us into the 600 and I cannot imagine having anything less in it. We are fat, we are a lot, and our boat is a beast with all the shit we carry.

the best words of wisdom i have heard on this forum from the get go was " you will never regret having too much power" It is absolutely true.

My honest answer is spend the money upgrade to the 520 Dont even think twice about it. It is an absolute no brainer!

The list cost difference of a 8.2HO and a 520 looks to be about $15K. If it was $5k everyone would do it!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

damn that's a good looking boat!!!!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
yeah, I think the wildcats went up over 5k.... that a 1k per year hike....

I think the wildcat is one of the best deals in the industry......

You really think you could get a brand new wildcat for 72K OTD right now with a 520? (basically 67K before tax/lic)

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I say more hp! Pay it, be happy in the end, period. Better to have it when you want it than wish you had it, next thing he will start to make changes to catch up and cost him the same in the end.
2ff’s point of detuning and not wanting to do 80 in a deckboat sounds great for him and sue. However I have different opinion as others, more hp means the option to go fast when you want and conditions are safe to do so. Also means when I have a boat full of guests I get on plane and have a nice cruising rpm and speed without maxing out the motor at high rpms or tapping rev limiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtbag

Reaction score
some numbers from shockwave boats recently.

I have a 600. Our boat is heavy and put me and pops in it its way heavy.
3500 rpm she does 47-50 which is basically our sweet spot
4500 shes doing 65
5200 shes mid to upper 70s
take all our shit out put a normal person in she hits 84-6

Recently Stage 3 whippled 28 deck with 4 people in it did 92-95

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I say more hp! Pay it, be happy in the end, period. Better to have it when you want it than wish you had it, next thing he will start to make changes to catch up and cost him the same in the end.
2ff’s point of detuning and not wanting to do 80 in a deckboat sounds great for him and sue. However I have different opinion as others, more hp means the option to go fast when you want and conditions are safe to do so. Also means when I have a boat full of guests I get on plane and have a nice cruising rpm and speed without maxing out the motor at high rpms or tapping rev limiter.

If building a new boat I would absolutely spend the extra $$$ for the 520 upgrade...could always add headers down the line. (I bet you could knock a little $$$ off the upgrade if a company had a empty mold)

Back in the day a 496ho to a 525 was a ton more $$ if I remember correctly.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think the wildcat is one of the best deals in the industry......

You really think you could get a brand new wildcat for 72K OTD right now with a 520? (basically 67K before tax/lic)

Doubt it. There is a 2017 with a handfull of hours on CL with a 8.2HO for $79K It has been on CL for months.

https://mohave.craigslist.org/boa/d/2017-cheetah-wildcat-deck-boat/6549564592.html

I really like the wildcat, If I was building a new boat realistically that is probably what I'd build.. I'd bring Cheetah Bob a tote full of stainless steel hardware to use for the build, and just take it somewhere else to get the interior done.

I thought about buying this one, but I really don't like the interior style and slab sided design on this one.

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
If building a new boat I would absolutely spend the extra $$$ for the 520 upgrade...could always add headers down the line. (I bet you could knock a little $$$ off the upgrade if a company had a empty mold)

Back in the day a 496ho to a 525 was a ton more $$ if I remember correctly.

Exactly, the difference up to 525 must have been a lot. I don’t remember and I had the money to do the 525 then and didn’t. [emoji85]

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

4500 shes doing 65

For me this would be a reason to step up to the 600.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
The list cost difference of a 8.2HO and a 520 looks to be about $15K. If it was $5k everyone would do it!

base price of a 28 deck if my memory serves me correctly is as follows.

$95 6.2 350 HP
$105 8.2 430 Hp
$110 520
$115 540
$120 565
$130 600

Now start adding all the fun stuff and the price can go as high as you want it haha. Certain engines need certain things as well such as hydraulic steering and all that good stuff as you all know.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
They are heavy boats. We’re still in the market, and as an example were told the 520 in the Shockwave is a 70 MPH engine.

Same engine in the cobra 270 python just did 82. Someone was saying how all the bottoms on today’s popular deck boats (except the Nordic) were all the same and mostly derived from the Magic bottom...so it must come down to weight..?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
base price of a 28 deck if my memory serves me correctly is as follows.

95 6.2 350 HP
105 8.2 430 Hp
110 520
115 540
120 565
130 600

Good info, thanks! That is not too bad. The 520 seems like the sweet spot actually.

It is expected that a MFG would get better pricing on the motors, compared to list.

LBLL

Low Budget Livin' Large
Reaction score
When I built my Fundeck, I couldn’t afford the $15k upcharge for the 525 so I stuck with the 496 HO. In retrospect, I wish I did. I spent $6k later on to add CMI headers, roller rockers, and some type of fuel sending just to get it to run in the mid 60s on a good day. 110 heat plus and I was lucky to crack hit 58. Thing is, the boat doesn’t even think of packing air until around 68-70. Fast forward and I’ve put another $50k plus for a new motor and drive. Now when I break 70 the boat feels like whole new boat, crack 80 and I get a little giddy. Stage 3 upgrade and hit ?? Don’t know just yet, need test some props to find out. Point being, save yourself $50k and pay the $15k now if it’s not over your budget.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When I built my Fundeck, I couldn’t afford the $15k upcharge for the 525 so I stuck with the 496 HO. In retrospect, I wish I did. I spent $6k later on to add CMI headers, roller rockers, and some type of fuel sending just to get it to run in the mid 60s on a good day. 110 heat plus and I was lucky to crack hit 58. Thing is, the boat doesn’t even think of packing air until around 68-70. Fast forward and I’ve put another $50k plus for a new motor and drive. Now when I break 70 the boat feels like whole new boat, crack 80 and I get a little giddy. Stage 3 upgrade and hit ?? Don’t know just yet, need test some props to find out. Point being, save yourself $50k and pay the $15k now if it’s not over your budget.

This is the most sound reasoning yet!

Dirtbag

Reaction score
For me this would be a reason to step up to the 600.

and with all you guys here and bobs recommendation Im soooo glad we did. Im pretty sure after this season we are going to Stage 3 Whipple her just for that added midrange and plane speed.....Was funny talking to Devious_Chris at the show when I asked him about his Stage 3 his eyes lit up like a christmas tree......

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Exactly, the difference up to 525 must have been a lot. I don’t remember and I had the money to do the 525 then and didn’t. [emoji85]

I remember it being like 20-25K with the engine and XR.....No way could I justify that on a 70K boat

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
and with all you guys here and bobs recommendation Im soooo glad we did. Im pretty sure after this season we are going to Stage 3 Whipple her just for that added midrange and plane speed.....Was funny talking to Devious_Chris at the show when I asked him about his Stage 3 his eyes lit up like a christmas tree......

It will be a fun piece with that much power.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I remember it being like 20-25K with the engine and XR.....No way could I justify that on a 70K boat
the 525 required the XR drive and Hydraulic steering correct which is a good chunk of change.

LBLL

Low Budget Livin' Large
Reaction score

4500 shes doing 65

What prop were you running to hit 90ish?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
They are heavy boats. We’re still in the market, and as an example were told the 520 in the Shockwave is a 70 MPH engine.

Same engine in the cobra 270 python just did 82. Someone was saying how all the bottoms on today’s popular deck boats (except the Nordic) were all the same and mostly derived from the Magic bottom...so it must come down to weight..?

The “popular deck boat” bottoms are not all the same and not all derived from the magic. Weight and weight transfer is definitely a huge difference in many.