78Southwind

Reaction score
If you like to turn around in circles OB's are awesome. :D

W.O.T

Reaction score
Very cool thanks for posting

wzuber

Reaction score
I thought that was supposed to happen between the O.B. and Paul Fitzgerald? Isn't that what ross anounced mid-day today? Did Pauls boat break or have an issue? He was haulin ass today. I bet he regrets letting the 80 boat catch up...he gave them that race.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks capsules on K boats look gayer than AIDS? Yes they are a great safety measure but kills the whole K boat look and vibe

guest hs

Reaction score
I thought that was supposed to happen between the O.B. and Paul Fitzgerald? Isn't that what ross anounced mid-day today? Did Pauls boat break or have an issue? He was haulin ass today. I bet he regrets letting the 80 boat catch up...he gave them that race.
Fitzgerald’s boat lost a motor in the final

wzuber

Reaction score
bummer...it wass haulinazz. what happened to the motor?

HST4ME

Reaction score
Should have put an uncorked ecu and some more blade on the champ boat and took the outside lane away. ;)

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Should have put an uncorked ecu and some more blade on the champ boat and took the outside lane away. ;)

I was thinking the same thing but I'm not even close to an expert.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I liked it when Bob Goettel in Epidemic K-28 would do shoot outs with unlimited hydros at Firebird Lake around the island. Parked the Atlas Van Lines on the beach in turn 3 and 4 one time.

wzuber

Reaction score
Those K-Boats are just flat out badass. 100% high-testosterone machines
yep...and the owner is prepairing to campaign BOTH his k777 & k999 down under this year against their bad boats. That takes huge balls-o-steel along with that testosterone to mix it up with those big boats. To me, running our style hard chine flats against their big V displacement boats is a risk well beyond good reason but that decision rests soley on the race team. I'll chear them on and hope they can perform successfully and superiorly to their boats and all come home safe and happy with their efforts.

BlowMe

Reaction score
Well, living near St. Louis (shootout/murder capital of the US) I totally misread this.... With "Shootout" in the title, I opened it expecting carnage of some kind...

I was pleasantly surprised.... Carry on

I live in st.charles Missouri. ( about 25 minutes outside st.louis ) and work there sometimes. Earlier this year I almost got taken out by 2 shooters doing a drive by in south city....its such a lovely city....

brownsuger

Reaction score
I live in st.charles Missouri. ( about 25 minutes outside st.louis ) and work there sometimes. Earlier this year I almost got taken out by 2 shooters doing a drive by in south city....its such a lovely city....

I know right.... Earlier this year, one of the guys that works for me was sitting at a stoplight in north city heading to a supplier when a car pulled up next to the car in front of him. He saw their windows come down and guns come out and they started shooting into the car in front of him.... F'ing crazy.... and they want to build the new soccer stadium right in the middle of all that crap...

wzuber

Reaction score
that will b perfect. a modern day roman coloseum for the gangs to meet up and settle their scores. :D

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
The Monkeys

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
These shoot outs have always been fun to watch. It didn't look like Duff was pushing the corners as hard as he could (why would he?) given his abundance of straightaway speed at his disposal. It's amazing that the much heavier, obsolete, non "air entrapment" flat bottom hull design spanks the modern state of the art wacker from the outside and starting from a 20 boat deficit. :D:D

It's hard to believe that you can power an upside down kitchen table with an iron skillet non warranteed, motor home engine and still spank a Formula 1 boat. :p

Thanks for the video Wheeler!

outboardrick

Reaction score
I certainly don't know for sure, but I seriously don't think that was a Formula 1 outboard.....More like a SST 120 boat. Huge difference, and if that race had been run with a true F1 boat the outcome would most likely be different. Not taking anything away from the K boat, it would probably still have more straightaway speed, but not much more, and the F1 would kill it in the turns.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I was going by what Jeff Conant posted and he is definitely someone who would know.
AB519E6E-9B8A-406E-9556-CA230672EFC5.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
These shoot outs have always been fun to watch. It didn't look like Duff was pushing the corners as hard as he could (why would he?) given his abundance of straightaway speed at his disposal. It's amazing that the much heavier, obsolete, non "air entrapment" flat bottom hull design spanks the modern state of the art wacker from the outside and starting from a 20 boat deficit. :D:D

It's hard to believe that you can power an upside down kitchen table with an iron skillet non warranteed, motor home engine and still spank a Formula 1 boat. :p

Thanks for the video Wheeler!

lmao...

That all said in “reality” I don’t think a k boat is going to compete with a Champ Boat.. If I’m not mistaking didn’t this guy just get that boat? Only driven it once or twice? Is that a class legal champ boat / motor etc?

STV_Keith

Reaction score
MAYBE 153 cubes naturally aspirated vs 500+ cubes, blown, injected on alcohol. Sounds more like grapes and watermelons to me. As someone mentioned, the tunnel looked more like a SST120 (120 cubes, carbureted). Find a real F1 or Mod U and it would have been a much better race.

I doubt Duff was pushing hard...I know he has done other exhibition runs against real F1 boats and been right there with them. The longer the course, the better the HP will compete...but you just can't out turn a tunnel.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
lmao...

That all said in “reality” I don’t think a k boat is going to compete with a Champ Boat.. If I’m not mistaking didn’t this guy just get that boat? Only driven it once or twice? Is that a class legal champ boat / motor etc?

To be totally honest Dave, I don’t know the details other than RJ West is an experienced tunnel boat pilot in the lower classes.

I have however, witnessed k boats on the winning end of a “Champ boat” or f1 shootout and vice versa. They’ve been doing these types of races for years. The only problem is, they don’t always match up the fastest K boat againt the fastest Champ or f1.

Maybe Ross or Keith could tell us the difference between a Champ, F1 and Mod U.

Last edited:

STV_Keith

Reaction score
"Champ boats" are that type of hull. They are used in F1, F2, SST120, SST140, etc. There are a few different sizes of boats, and I'm not sure the legalities of which length is used in what class myself. My dad's "Champ boat" was originally built to run F1. It was 18' long. When he bought it, it had a SST140 motor on it, which is basically a carbureted 2.4 liter (142 cubes), 12" mid and speedmaster.

The F1 class is basically the same, but with the 2.5l EFI motors. Those motors have a RPM limit due to the class (8600 IIRC). Mod U is "modified unlimited" - basically the baddest motor they can build for aspirated on gasoline.

Here's a great video I have favorited on YT. Aussie BAD boats and two tunnels. The white one is a Mod U from what I understand. Notice how the BAD boats don't get away from it so much on the straights.

guest hs

Reaction score
RJ west was the driver it was. Formula I boat with a 2.5 liter Mercury and the boat was no joke! I have witnessed this match up before last time Scarlota driving Gordon Jennings K69 and it smoked the FI boat as well. I don’t care how many cubic inches you have don’t bite off more than you can chew. You want to run with the big boys throw that sewing machine in the trash because your never going to beat a K boat.

guest hs

Reaction score
That’s a cool video but I wouldn’t compare that Australia Bad Boat to an American K Boat

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That’s a cool video but I wouldn’t compare that Australia Bad Boat to an American K Boat

Seems someone awhile ago took K Boats down to AUS, and it was pretty competitive against each other if I remember right?

RD

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Seems someone awhile ago took K Boats down to AUS, and it was pretty competitive against each other if I remember right?

RD

We’ve sent down a bunch of boats going all the way back to the 70’s. Yes, our boats can compete and sometimes beat the Bad Boats down unda.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
NRBR’s dad raced K boats extensively and had or at least drove one of those champ style boats at one time. He’s also raced his K against a Mod U (John Lane) at long beach. It would be interesting to hear the differences from someone who’s driven both. Dennis, you listening?

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Nice of them to put on a show.
I'm very curious what a 300hp outboard would do against a 1200-1500hp in the same or similar boats.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Nice of them to put on a show.
I'm very curious what a 300hp outboard would do against a 1200-

They have one in Australia but I don’t think it’s 1200 horsepower...? There are videos of it on youtube (don’t ask me where).

20+ years ago there was an Endurance tunnel class utilizing traditional V8’s as well as exotic power plants but those boats were larger than these flyweight ob boats.

83C04CE8-8774-4F4A-B7C9-E458FAE2318F.jpeg

wzuber

Reaction score
yore right...there's no comparison.
Our "kitchen table" flat bottoms would have barrel rolled and sunk where their soft chine style hull spun out and continued to race. I'm not looking to re-open the debate here of hull style, safety etc. simply note that our style hull vs. theirs adds a significant challenge for our racers and we've lost many of our best in the challenge. RIP to those brave competitors. Good luck to those chosing to rise to the challenge.

Last edited:

guest hs

Reaction score
Theres no doubt that the bad Boats that run that sytle of racing are going to win but put them on our oval and they wont I seen this happen in Parker many times when they shipped the Aussie boats down here. Theres no doubt the ugly Aussie boats are impressive!

wzuber

Reaction score
Theres no doubt that the bad Boats that run that sytle of racing are going to win but put them on our oval and they wont I seen this happen in Parker many times when they shipped the Aussie boats down here. Theres no doubt the ugly Aussie boats are impressive!
If your referring to the the 18' v- bottom boats they sent over here a couple years ago with the naturally asperated small block dodge nascar engines (900 hp? vs. 2000 hp?) in them then yes the blown alc. k boats were able to out accelerate them in the straights but were reeled in in the turns very similarly as this outboard race. However, the aussie boats, from my view, put on a great showing and were much more forgiving when hitting a wake bad or dropping into a hole left by the k boat exiting a turn etc. They handeled the shit that routinely. flips and crashes our flats typically and kept on charging. Those boats were very impressive. Don't get me wrong, I love our flats just as much as anyone, but their boats are badass too in their own right and many are very well rigged and beautiful race boats, just different than what we are accustomed too.