WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shooting at Costco in corona??

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I don’t think you can shoot someone just for hitting you. It’s my understanding you would need to be getting beat to death? I’m curious to see how everything plays out but like most interesting cases I’ll probably never find out

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I don’t think you can shoot someone just for hitting you. It’s my understanding you would need to be getting beat to death? I’m curious to see how everything plays out but like most interesting cases I’ll probably never find out

Hey Vic-

Strap your side arm on.
Take your youngest in your arms.
Let me bum rush you.
6'3", 275.

What would you do?
And two more my size behind me.

Cop did what I think is right.
More details might come to light though.

That's all I got

Dan'l

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Threat of serious bodily injury or death is what it takes. Off duty was holding his small child in his arms and is attacked. FROM WHAT WE KNOW up until this point, this is legally justified all day long in regards to the initial attacker. The other two, I'm curious how and when they got hit.

LEO or not, if he had a right to carry that weapon, in those circumstances he is justified in using it.

But either way, there will be a huge civil suit to follow. Question will be whether or not LAPD covers the cops costs. Either way in Cali, the dead guys family will get paid.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Sad that "ability to pay" is more important than right or wrong.

It will be interesting to hear the rest of the facts after the investigation is completed.

Just curious, do you think he is placed and Admin leave, if it wasn't in the line of duty/on duty, like a standard OIS?

Either way in Cali, the dead guys family will get paid.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Sad that "ability to pay" is more important than right or wrong.

It will be interesting to hear the rest of the facts after the investigation is completed.

Just curious, do you think he is placed and Admin leave, if it wasn't in the line of duty/on duty, like a standard OIS?
Not positive how LAPD does it. Most require a visit to the shrink before going back to the field. Some also require the initial phases of the investigation to be complete in regards to legalities behind it. I'm guessing he has a desk job for at least a week.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Not positive how LAPD does it. Most require a visit to the shrink before going back to the field. Some also require the initial phases of the investigation to be complete in regards to legalities behind it. I'm guessing he has a desk job for at least a week.

Makes sense, in regards to if he was justified or not, ect.

Thanks for the explanation.

Xring01

Reaction score
This one is complex....

The LAPD officer may have been justified in this, or may may not...

There is not enough info out to say either..

To use his weapon, he will need to be able to stand up in a court, and say he feared for his life or his childs life. If he is able to prove why.. he will not serve any jail time. I expect he will get hit with get a civil lawsuit from the dead guys family.

Regardless his life is fucked for awhile..

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
upload_2019-6-16_19-15-7.png

boatpi

Reaction score
Many officers have off duty insurance too. Until Lapd has completed their investigation and the chief gives a preliminary finding he will not be in the field, customary.

These take time, Once the investigation is done in Riverside County It goes to the District attorney for review it doesn’t matter if you’re a private citizen or off duty officer. In the end the da Will issue you a letter that tells you if it’s considered justifiable homicide. Or not...

These are very serious and very complicated and long investigations, Where he was always good but many times it’s the statements made by both parties and witness observations that really tell if a shooting or deadly force is necessary. In the end to a certain extent the standard is reasonable and necessary.

And that viewpoint must be from with in the eyes of the person who far the shots their perception at the time and all good prosecutors can look at this review this and almost always come up with a very fair determination.

The civil side is always different and nowadays every time he shoot somebody it’s a guarantee a lawsuit because let’s face it is attorneys do not take any contingency money they just go for it.

even if a person just blew somebody away and they are staying over with a gun, if you shoot the murder suspect they’re still going to sue you. welcome to California .

Performance Grips

Reaction score
We obviously do not have all the answers but here in California if I'm a civilian and do what appears to have happened I'm locked up and at the very least looking at a shit load of legal fees to figure it all out.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
We obviously do not have all the answers but here in California if I'm a civilian and do what appears to have happened I'm locked up and at the very least looking at a shit load of legal fees to figure it all out.
You are right, we do not have all the details. That is why in the post you quoted I capitalized "FROM WHAT WE KNOW". But you are not correct in assuming just because you are Non LEO you will be locked up. I have seen it with my own two eyes where a civilian used deadly force and is not arrested.

Legal fees, yup, non Law Enforcement or not, this off duty cop will be facing huge legal expense if LAPD does not cover him. Like BoatPI has brought up, most of us have insurance that covers us on and off duty for this reason.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Gonna be interesting to hear the story on this. From the reports I read the guy who was shot and killed had the mental capacity of a teenager and wasn't really able to communicate verbally.

And his parents were the ones who were shot - the mother is in a coma. What a terrible thing to happen and in a Costco store. Hard to imagine how this went down and justified shooint this young man

NicPaus

Reaction score
Sad deal regardless. Hope the Mom and Dad shot pull thru :(

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I’m a gun loving American and carry often in Arizona, and have had my share of training, but he shoots a mentally handicapped 32 year old and his two parents that look to be in their 60’s all who were unarmed?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I’m a gun loving American and carry often in Arizona, and have had my share of training, but he shoots a mentally handicapped 32 year old and his two parents that look to be in their 60’s all who were unarmed?
Since none of us really know all the details we are all just making assumptions..... But, looking at that picture and reading how his cousin described him as a "gentle giant", he doesn't have the stereotypical appearance (as overwhelmingly most do not either) of someone with mental handicaps. So a man of that size assaulting a smaller man with his young child in his arms...... I can see the reason for drawing in that split second decision. Remember, he was defending his child as well

Now, the injuries to the parents..... No idea.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

LowRiver2

Reaction score
All Active LAPD have been advised not to comment.
If you want to take a swipe at me about that go ahead.
About four legal entities doing investigation currently and I’d bet several fed. Departments will be there as well.
Don’t confuse silence for cowardice or blind support on this development.

C-2

Reaction score
If there was arguing, most likely between the dad and the LEO, then it does not sound like an unprovoked "attack." I think it will be a hard sell to convince 12 for the need to use deadly force in a crowded market with hundreds of other people around. Perhaps on the street or away from others, it would make more sense, but to believe you are danger of great bodily injury with tons of bystanders around...

I support the reasons behind why LEO carry off-duty. But, as we learn more about this shooting, it underscores the reason I choose not to pursue a CCW. Carrying a deadly weapon comes with immense responsibility.

Bad scenario for all involved. :(

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Since none of us really know all the details we are all just making assumptions..... But, looking at that picture and reading how his cousin described him as a "gentle giant", he doesn't have the stereotypical appearance (as overwhelmingly most do not either) of someone with mental handicaps. So a man of that size assaulting a smaller man with his young child in his arms...... I can see the reason for drawing in that split second decision. Remember, he was defending his child as well

Now, the injuries to the parents..... No idea.

"Defending his child" from what in a crowded Costco? (using your quote to ask the question of everyone)

And shooting the parents (who likely were trying to help since their son doesn't speak)?!

It's incredibly hard for me to imagine a scenario with the parents and that young man where a firearm had to be pulled and used. Especially on all 3 people. Incredibly hard for me to imagine.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Don’t forget the cops they always have probably cause I personally had a case that they took every thing out of are Benz had my wife and I sit in the back sit of the car cuffed not arrested but car was towed they said it was involved in a hit and run first question asked where did you get the car cops are always right

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
"Defending his child" from what in a crowded Costco? (using your quote to ask the question of everyone)

And shooting the parents (who likely were trying to help since their son doesn't speak)?!

It's incredibly hard for me to imagine a scenario with the parents and that young man where a firearm had to be pulled and used. Especially on all 3 people. Incredibly hard for me to imagine.
We have no idea how the confrontation went or what was said or anything. Where means absolutely jack shit when you have to make a split second decision if this person is gonna inflict great bodily injury to you and yours. Like I said though, we all have ZERO details on the actual events and are just speculating. I'm coming from the regard that based on the guys size and the altercation being unprovoked, I can see myself doing what the cop did. But, that is ONLY based on those 2 key points. Many other things that can change that one way or another.

As far as the parents, I have no idea how they got hit. I dunno if they were chasing after him and a couple rounds missed and hit them, if they were targeted, hell... Maybe they were pissed off and appeared to be joining the situation. We have ZERO idea to make an assumption either way.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
“Gentle giant”. That one always makes me laugh. Just because someone is mentally handicapped doesn’t mean they won’t become violent. I have seen quite a few mentally challenged people become very, very violent with absolutely minimal provocation, especially when they feel their family (often only human contact) is being threatened. It is one of my first concerns when dealing with patients who have mental disabilities. Some of those “gentle giants” have strength way beyond “normal”.
I’m going to let this one play out before I condemn or point to anyone involved. It’s a tragic situation. I am sad for every single person involved. As a father, I feel for the man who shot to defend his daughter. I also feel for the other father that lost his son and possibly wife that day.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Size don’t matter or sick why shoot the parents there trained very well end of the day karma works on everybody

grumpy88

Reaction score
If that mother was menacing i don't think being a police officer was the right job for him . Sad deal all the way around

Lil'Moni77

Reaction score
My #1 question... where is the footage from the Costco Cameras??
I was just at that Costco 1hr prior to the incident... Grabbed my Hotlinks and Vodka and was out in 15mins flat... but being that I go to that Costco on the regular, I know there are 100's of cameras covering every angle of that place!!

Waiting for THAT important factor to surface!!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
A frozen pizza in the right hands can inflict quite a bit of damage.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I was just at that Costco 1hr prior to the incident... Grabbed my Hotlinks and Vodka and was out in 15mins flat... but being that I go to that Costco on the regular, I know there are 100's of cameras covering every angle of that place!!

We will never see it. And that video is probably why the cop was not and has not been arrested.

oldschool

Reaction score

Sounds like the Hotlinks and Vodka deserve it's own thread. Please keep it PG.

Albert

Reaction score
I just drove by there , news cast are setting up so something must of been released .

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
We will never see it. And that video is probably why the cop was not and has not been arrested.

That video will be seen. The video was either entirely taken, meaning the entire DVR System, or a copy was taken as evidence. I guarantee Corona PD and LAPD have aleeady received hundreads of public information requests. They will either release it willingly or hold it as "evidence" but after the case is settled, which will be a long time, it must be released. The video will be seen. I'm hoping sooner than latter.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
All Active LAPD have been advised not to comment.
If you want to take a swipe at me about that go ahead.
About four legal entities doing investigation currently and I’d bet several fed. Departments will be there as well.
Don’t confuse silence for cowardice or blind support on this development.
Simmer down LapDog!:D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Actually, LAPD does a pretty good job of releasing their shootings on camera. Given the notoriety here I'd say it's far more likely to be released then not. But I do agree completely with you in regards to them viewing it that night, and that being a major reason why nobody was arrested.

Remember people, regardless of how scary guns are to California, Self Defense is still a valid defense in the state.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

That’s what sucks about caring a gun every fight you get into is a gun fight.

What happens if you meet your match and guy fucks you up take your gun shoot you your kid and your wife

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Really that big guy in Costco looks real threatening probably pulled the gun out with the safety. Off at Costco. Claiming self defense to edit the film please

WhatExit?

Reaction score
From the LA Times:

Los Angeles police investigators are reviewing whether an off-duty officer who fatally shot a man described by his family as having an intellectual disability and wounded two of the man’s relatives in a Costco store in Corona violated any department policies in the altercation, officials said Monday.

A law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation told The Times that the officer was holding his 1-year-old while standing in line for a food sample at the store Friday night when he got into an argument with another man that quickly became physical. The source said the 32-year-old man, identified as Kenneth French, escalated the conflict to blows and knocked the officer to the ground.

The officer did not know of the man’s disability at the time, according to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Authorities said the assault, which was captured on Costco security cameras, was unprovoked and led the officer to fire his weapon, killing French and wounding two of French’s family members, whom a relative identified as French’s parents.

Whole article here: https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow...ing-off-duty-lapd-officer-20190617-story.html

grumpy88

Reaction score
I'm fine with there might of been a scary situation for the officer with one person but how does he explain shooting the mother and father ?

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Costco must have had the top shelf samples out that day....... :rolleyes: