WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shop Soap

Brian

Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys turn wrenches for a living and I'm curious to know what hand cleaner you like the best. I know gloves are an option but there are 2 major reasons why I don't use gloves unless I'm handling something toxic. #1 my hands sweat like no other. If I wear a latex or rubber gloves for 5 min my hands look like I sat in the tub for an hour. #2 When I wear gloves, I can't "feel" the work I'm performing which I don't like.
So my hands get dirty often and I wash them frequently but have never found a soap that's made me say "this stuff is bad ass".
Any soap suggestions to try?

cakemoto

Reaction score
I forget the name of it but one of the motorcycle guys came out with a product that has dirt in it works very well.check it out

DLC

Reaction score
I like the cherry flavored grit soap!

but I don’t use it every day

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I use cherry bomb, and a small hand scrub brush. Seems to do ok but like you I have yet to find something that makes me say wow!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have some of that Zep orange goo in the pump bottle.

Reviews for ZEP 48 oz. Orange Industrial Hand Cleaner - ZU099148 - The Home  Depot

These tub o towels wipes work awesome for hands and cleaning doors and other surfaces too.
Reviews for Tub O' Towels Citrus Scent Heavy-Duty Cleaning Wipes (90-Count)  - TW90 - The Home Depot

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Side track- I like using these palm coated gloves. They keep you hands cleaner and have nylon to help breath better than a rubber/nitrile glove. Easy to take on and off and reuse. They are thin enough to hold and start a machine screw. Some of them have a thicker coating and are harder to handle small screws. That is why I like these.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Lava or Dawn are my go to's, but Fast Orange makes a bar too that works well

1631816627319.png

Dana757

Reaction score
Lava soap and green scotch bright pad is what's in our shop.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Use your female companion’s facial buff puffs when she’s done with them, they’re good for cleaning around your fingernails and cuticles without removing the first 2 layers of skin like scotchbrite pads do. They also work good for removing latex or enamel paint from your skin.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
Old wrench man(dad) and old auto shoo teacher showed me original powder oxy clean 👌🏽 Been using is for 15 years at least. Always worked perfect and cheap. Usually followed up by regular soap just to get rid of the fresh scent haha. Even removes the smell of gear oil.
E3BA546D-4E07-4568-BA2C-465A8B98E56B.png

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I use "Shell Shock" on diesel & tractor grime. Cleaner greasy messes I use dish soap. Top secret one though: When stuck with the fiberglass itchies, I use my wife's face scrub stuff (clear amber Neutrogena?) It seems to pull the glass from the pores.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I use "Shell Shock" on diesel & tractor grime. Cleaner greasy messes I use dish soap. Top secret one though: When stuck with the fiberglass itchies, I use my wife's face scrub stuff (clear amber Neutrogena?) It seems to pull the glass from the pores.
For fiberglass, just take a cold shower and any soap will work. Hot showers open up the pores more and allow the fibers to bury deeper making them harder to get out.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Over the years i've tried all kinds of them, BY FAR this stuff absolutely blows everything else away

First off, it's not watered down, you need about the size of a nickel worth to clean your hands even if they are absolutely filthy. A dab of this soap, and some water and it starts working.

It cuts through grime and oil about 10x better than GoJo orange. And it works FAST, you don't have to lolly gag around for it to start cleaning.

and most importantly IT DOESN'T DRY YOUR SKIN. I don't care if it's winter and you wash your hands 20x a day, this stuff has Lanolin in it so it keeps your hands from drying out.

It used to cost about $200 a bucket, but the bucket will literally last you years.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
This might be hard to find, but it is the best soap for the shop.
Wood-ease.

I think the guy who makes this is out of Murrieta Ca.

It uses fine sawdust as the abrasive. It does not take much and it takes off pitch as well as grease and grime.

I don't think marketing is in their wheelhouse.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
White vinegar works great for fiberglass itch. rub some of that on and then take a cold shower when you get home, cold water closes up pores.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
I second the tub o towels suggestion. I have several tubs. Clean hands, engine parts, drives, upholstery, etc.

Good for hands when you don't have water handy.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Lava bar and a squirt of dawn dish soap.

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
I forget the name of it but one of the motorcycle guys came out with a product that has dirt in it works very well.check it out
Grip clean....works awesome and isn't harsh on your hands

another vote for Grip Clean. Stuff is amazing with grease and oil. doesn't eat your hands up either. We've been using it in our shop for years

OkHallett270

Reaction score
Original Dawn dish soap or Joe’s hand cleaner works well too.

guest hs

Reaction score
We use Works hand cleaner it’s a dry soap green in color and it’s the best I have used.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
If you have tar or real stubborn grease stains on your body or anything else use the orange air freshener they sell at Home Depot, I think it's call Pure Citrus.
It also works on adhesive too. Good shit.

endobear

Reaction score
Just found this stashed in a old pop up camper I'm
20210916_202502.jpg
cleaning up. Wonder how old it is.