WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shop vac?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Hello all:

I am in need of a shop vacuum. I am considering a wood working dust collector. I am not worried about liquid as I have a cheap regular shop vac when I need it. Most of these standard shop vacs kinda suck in performance. I want something that sucks hard and maintains suction.

Thoughts of a dust collector?

Regular style vacuum suggestions?

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I got a new rigid nxt and it’s amazing. So much quieter and it’ll suck the drywall off the walls if I get too close. I also grabbed a dust bag that goes over the filter that makes it last much longer.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have an older Ridgid, and have beat the crap out of it for about 10 years. Used it to drain plugged roof drains, many old car rats nests...and normal stuff, like sawdust and metal grindings...lathe chips may screw up filters though:rolleyes:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I previously had one of these for my garage/shop. Did alot of woodworking at the time so it worked well for my application.

81823_400x400.jpg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
They are often called dust collectors but should really be called chunk collector dust spreaders.
Any good 15+ gallon vac that can use bags and common available filters should work. They all suck about the same when clogged. Very poorly.
I got a Dayton free from work when the plant closed. https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Shop-Vacuum-6AKZ1
The motor is rebuild-able, uses standard filters and can be Hepa as I run it but the Hepa filter kits are 80 bux. Bags are cheap.
Dayton offers them in a much lower price range with the same specs. I have one of those as well.
The Jet dust collectors hold up well and parts are cheap and plentiful if you can find a used collector cheap.