WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Should I consider a jet?

Kenboat

Reaction score
Have a 2012 Nautique 200 ski boat. This is direct drive inboard and pulls great but is a real pain at the dock. We are on a river with a mild current and seems I cant dock the boat to save my life.
We also run on Torch, Clam, Grass river, and Bellaire lakes in northern lower Michigan. I have tore up 3 props this year and really need 30" of water to anchor the boat safely.

In the past have had checkmates under 21 ft with I/O or outboards and a 22 Talon with outboard. Getting to the point in life that comfort is important so thinking I want to try a new boat.
Looking at the 21 skier from Tahiti boats and like the idea of a jet with big block for the following reasons:
Full swim platform
Inboard engine to have flat hatch for sun bathing, and not a outboard motor hanging off the back.
Shallow water operation
Easy to run up on sandbar

My questions
Never owned a jet, would I find it handles similar to I/O or outboard at the dock?
How would it handle on rough water days, can you trim the nose of the boat up?
Looking for a mid 60 mph boat, is this going to require a lot of Hp?

Really torn on the best path forword and looking for suggestions.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Jet, yes.
I've only driven a ski Malibu, other than my jets. Yes, around the docks sucked. Malibu topped out at 42 mph, where my jet, with similar HP, was at 55 mph. Jet manuverability, around the docks was so much easier.

That ski Malibu's prop always found the rocks, sometimes not even running. Although this was on the Colorado, at Bullhead/Laughlin.

Dan'l

boatnam2

Reaction score
Going with 3 no's on your first 3 questions.

Kenboat

Reaction score
Any feedback on the 21 Skier hull with jet on rough water?
My 200 will get water on the nose in any thing over 1.5 ft of choppy water. Have to motor at 16 mph to keep nose up and the hull rides rough.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
easy around the docks is a matter of opinion, i grew up in jets and learned how to drive boats in them. the biggest thing new jet owners forget is no throttle no turn. the trim would be referred to a Jetovater or place diverter and acts "similiar" to trim depening on the boat and load. to run 60 you will need 'Medium / mild" HP depending on what impeller, load in the boat and running surface of the hull.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
My 200 will get water on the nose in any thing over 1.5 ft of choppy water. Have to motor at 16 mph to keep nose up and the hull rides rough.
Just my .02 but NOTHING rides worse than a tournament boat. my FIL has a Tige and it rides so damn rough in chop, the only to smooth it out sounds similair to what you do, just above idle and let it plow with the nose up.

RaceTec

Reaction score
@Goodtime$ should be able to answer all of these questions... I would say a jet would be good, with a rudder and a place diverter you can do all of what you are asking easily in my opinion. Probably won't even need a big block now?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Going with 3 no's on your first 3 questions.

I'm going with, fuck yeah! On question number three. ๐Ÿ˜

Personally I find jet boats the most difficult boats to manuver EVER.

It's almost impossible to make em go straight at slow speeds. Maybe one of those fin things on the nozzle fixes this?

The ONLY jet boat I'd Ever consider is California Performance hull. With a shit ton of HP. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

boatnam2

Reaction score

It's almost impossible to make em go straight at slow speeds. Maybe one of those fin things on the nozzle fixes this?

The ONLY jet boat I'd Ever consider is California Performance hull. With a shit ton of HP. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
He said 60mph no 160 lol

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score

I had the opposite, I had a big jet bote 24โ€™+. It turned on a dime. Forward/reverse no trans to deal with. Kind of an odd duck for being so big. Fun bote, should have kept it for local lake and the cat for Havasu.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

It's an aquired skill.
Most over correct after it's too late.

Jets can be crab walked sideways at the dock, similar to a twin merc setup, with some skill.

Rudder on a jet makes virtually no difference, and have taken them off of mine.

Even with a roudy cammed big block, the thrust is infinitly adjustable at idle, vs in an out with a transmission or out drive.

Dan'l

Kenboat

Reaction score
Question on a jet drive, do they require much maintenance each year? They seem so simple.
Not sure if any dealers even work on jets in Michigan, they are like unicorns around my area!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It's an aquired skill.
Most over correct after it's too late.

Jets can be crab walked sideways at the dock, similar to a twin merc setup, with some skill.

Rudder on a jet makes virtually no difference, and have taken them off of mine.

Even with a roudy cammed big block, the thrust is infinitly adjustable at idle, vs in an out with a transmission or out drive.

Dan'l

That's a skill I definitely do not have. ๐Ÿ˜

I'm sure you're right though. Lot's of jet boats out there gettin it done. ๐Ÿ‘

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Jets are simple
Itโ€™s a driveline to an impeller
We are jet boat company because I love them
I have a house in Blythe so jets make sense

Positives:
Simple to operate
Fun to drive
No stress water level
No stress kids floating
No stress trailer launch load
No stress maintenance- build a good pump and grease bearing

Negatives:
Fuel consumption
Lack of low speed turnings etc if you suck at driving them
Fuel consumption
Motors run wide open a lot
Outdrives you can cruise set speed forget it

Too me jet is number 1 for how I boat.
Decide whatโ€™s best for the 80% of your boating on the water. 20% of the time your a human you can adapt

We boat drive haul ass sand bar float fun tunes
We ski tube maybe 4 times a summer

FE90663B-FFFD-4711-981C-6AA963B0DE55.jpeg

Kenboat

Reaction score
I need to drive a jet for a day to decide if it works for me, I could get a demo on a Yamaha jet boat in OH, would that provide a good comparison to the 21 skier as far as handling, stopping, ect. I know they are a cheaper factory build and not a custom.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I need to drive a jet for a day to decide if it works for me, I could get a demo on a Yamaha jet boat in OH, would that provide a good comparison to the 21 skier as far as handling, stopping, ect. I know they are a cheaper factory build and not a custom.
Lots of "proprietary" components on the Seadoo, Kawis Yamaha , not user friendly and expensive to own and maintain once out of warranty

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
It has been years but my cousin used to have a house on Bellaire. We went through the Grass river to Clam lake and would hit Torch every once in a while. I only went a couple of times. Such a beautiful area.

I donโ€™t remember about weeds except for Bellaire having some on the DNR sideโ€ฆI think it was DNR. If you are running in any weedy areas, I would say no. Every once in a while swimming under the boat to clean out weeds is not a big deal but if you are doing it consistently, itโ€™s going to suck.

Kenboat

Reaction score
For sure we have lots of weeds on Clam and Lake Bellaire. Some are tall stalks with leaves the last 2 ft and just below the surface. I have had my outboards get wrapped with weeds and have to tilt out of the water and clear. May that is why we don't have jet boats on the Michigan lakes. Mostly see the Yamaha jets boats and lots of lake lice.
The concept of the jet still seems great!

River Runnin

Reaction score

I could make you 100% change your mind in less than 15 minutes!

To... The MOST maneuverable boat you ever been in, best slow speed control, and the fooker even has brakes!, idle or do a 360* turn with no forward motion. ;)

My questions
1. Never owned a jet, would I find it handles similar to I/O or outboard at the dock?
2. How would it handle on rough water days, can you trim the nose of the boat up?
3. Looking for a mid 60 mph boat, is this going to require a lot of Hp?

1. West coast jets (CA Boats), and all other drives can't even compete in handling! (Hamilton 212 pump)
2. I have trim tabs, can run rapids to Class 5, and Good seats :) https://www.seatsinc.com/products/marine/mariner/
3. Can run skinny water, pull skiers and tubes, fish, and no problem beaching on gravel.
4. Can run Big Blue, rivers and lakes year round in most weather conditions.

But then again! :D It hard to expect anything less from! .... Havasu's Coolest Boat!! :cool: ๐Ÿคญ

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I could make you 100% change your mind in less than 15 minutes!

To... The MOST maneuverable boat you ever been in, best slow speed control, and the fooker even has brakes!, idle or do a 360* turn with no forward motion. ;)

1. West coast jets (CA Boats), and all other drives can't even compete in handling! (Hamilton 212 pump)
2. I have trim tabs, can run rapids to Class 5, and Good seats :) https://www.seatsinc.com/products/marine/mariner/
3. Can run skinny water, pull skiers and tubes, fish, and no problem beaching on gravel.
4. Can run Big Blue, rivers and lakes year round in most weather conditions.

But then again! :D It hard to expect anything less from! .... Havasu's Coolest Boat!! :cool: ๐Ÿคญ

I'd be up for that!

October in Parker??

port austin pirate

Reaction score
maybe different now but to my recollection running jets in shallow sandy or gravel bottoms sucked debris into the pump and caused damage also in the older jets could put sand into block, the other issues I recall were in really rough water ( I ran on Lake Huron) on large waves jets could suck air and cause handling issues of course feul consumption and sucking up weeds and tow ropes were issues, I think there would be a longer learning curve to low speed handling as well , that being said great safety factor pretty easy to work on and pretty low maint where you run and what you do decide what is best for you. good luck

The Capt

Capt. SF fireboat, St. Francis
Reaction score
I know I am a bit late in this response, BUT! jet boats will turn to port and starboard equally. I have had jet boats since the early 70s. At lake Berryessa i would nose in to the rock were kids jump off And just hold it there about 6 inches off the face of the rock. My daughters boyfriend who had a Malibu would run to the bow to push us off. After about 3 times he finally figured I was doing on purpose. After you get use to them the are super maneuverable. And nothing to really break either. But the same motor in a v drive or I/O will be at least 10 mph faster. AND better mpg image.jpg

Last edited:

River Runnin

Reaction score
My questions
Never owned a jet, would I find it handles similar to I/O or outboard at the dock? -- No Even Close! -- If you know how to run a jet!
How would it handle on rough water days, can you trim the nose of the boat up? -- I have trim tabs, and can handle water up to Class 5 Rapids
Looking for a mid 60 mph boat, is this going to require a lot of Hp? -- I can hit 50 on a good clean bottom day.

Kenboat

Reaction score
I need to rent a jet drive boat for a day and run it the way I boat to decide if it works.
Maybe make the trip to Havasu!

JFMFG

Reaction score
@Goodtime$

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I need to rent a jet drive boat for a day and run it the way I boat to decide if it works.
Maybe make the trip to Havasu!
I say go with the jet.

They are simple. Easy to maintain (just front and rear bearing grease once a year) and no impeller on the engine for a raw water pump. MUCH easier to drive around docks than a direct drive or v drive tournament boat (just manipulate the reverse gate to go forward slow or neutral or a little back, and hardly any throttle needed other than idle).

Drawbacks are that you need more rpm to go a certain speed than a prop boat, so that means it will use more gas comparatively. Also try to avoid sucking up weeds or ski ropes, clearing those can be a pain.

You could do like 45 to 50 with a base 330 HP BBC package, but to go 60 would need a little more power like 450 or so which is pretty easy with a BBC with some simple upgrades.

Ride in the rough has more to do with the hull not the jet. We ran an Eliminator 20 day cruiser with a jet on big lakes, in the ocean and in the river. Ocean was a bit much for it. If the Tahiti is anything like the Eliminator with a decent entry, some strakes and a decent bottom it will be a nice ride in most river and lake water conditions.

Definitely do a place diverter but you donโ€™t always need tabs unless you need to balance the boat out, not change the ride. Play with the jet trim for changing the ride. Make sure you get a ride plate under the jet.

Rudder might be nice to start but like others said it mainly steers with thrust. The rudder just helps if you forget to give it gas to turn, though it will always turn better than the rudder alone by giving it some gas.

Iโ€™ve had jets since I was a kid and love them. Fun boating.

Kenboat

Reaction score
Dark Horse thanks for your information, Planning a trip west in spring. Flying into Vegas and set up tours at a few shops to see boats in person and drive a jet.