WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Should I Forget About Running Wet Stacks?

davethewave

Reaction score
My 454 LS6 is 60 over , 11 1/4 to 1, don't remember the cam specs but I remember 630 was in there and the shop referred to it as a V-drive cam(non Roller) solid lifters, Roller Rockers, 990 Heads. Shop said it was about 650 HP.
Just bought a set of Basset Headers (which I paid too much for) but they really stand out especially after looking at the old ones for so long. I've always run dry stacks, but I'd hate to see the chrome on these go bad. Really worried about Reversion though, and water mixing with 14 quarts of Brad Penn oil is also a big negative. It seems to me it will be a big headache to run water through them even set up with no water 'till 2500 RPM and an on off valve by the driver seat.

snowboat

Reaction score
Be patient on your water diagram, it's Labor Day. You can go to performanceboats.com and search the V drive and GN7 forums. Here is an example thread. https://www.performanceboats.com/threads/plumbing-mess.34732/ There are many many ways to plumb, depending on many factors. There is no such thing as a V drive cam even though Comp Cams lists some for jets and v drives. I gave up on chrome and went to Jet Hot in black. If you want them to stay
looking brand new I don't think it can be done unless running alcohol.

davethewave

Reaction score
"Brand New" isn't what I'm looking for. Just thinking about keeping 'em somewhat noticeable. I clicked on the link (you provided) and all I got out of it so far is the guy running a thermostat. Who the f--- runs a thermostat in a boat ? I've ran the boat once with the new Headers. Dry of course. And will probably run it today, Sunday , because there aint a breath of wind here today in the Bay Area. I can ski the main channel today which is very rare. I'm 5 min away from the launch ramp. So after today it looks like it will be a done deal as far as running water through 'em. Oh well, as lomg as I get a good ski run in ! Whenever it's glass out in the main channel(Antioch) I'm skiing it ! Thanks for your quick reply

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
unless you have the specifics on that cam your playing an expensive guessing game lobe separation plays a big part in reversion, I hydrauliced an engine a few years back and you don't want to go thru that.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Been down this road a bunch over the decades. Currently run the high temp “almost chrome” powder coating.
Never ever worry about reversion or discoloration over many hours of use. As for noise, if I can’t run open, found the straight through Bassett mufflers to be excellent.
80EA9DDC-4E8D-4953-952B-799044B11C0B.jpeg
B1E18BDE-36E8-4178-AD98-7079E1BA5801.jpeg

Hydroman55

Reaction score
"Brand New" isn't what I'm looking for. Just thinking about keeping 'em somewhat noticeable. I clicked on the link (you provided) and all I got out of it so far is the guy running a thermostat. Who the f--- runs a thermostat in a boat ? I've ran the boat once with the new Headers. Dry of course. And will probably run it today, Sunday , because there aint a breath of wind here today in the Bay Area. I can ski the main channel today which is very rare. I'm 5 min away from the launch ramp. So after today it looks like it will be a done deal as far as running water through 'em. Oh well, as lomg as I get a good ski run in ! Whenever it's glass out in the main channel(Antioch) I'm skiing it ! Thanks for your quick reply
Making me home sick had waterfront homes on the Delta for years going back to the 60s. Rare indeed water skiing in Antioch.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Those Headers look brand new!! who did you have do the coating on them they look terrific!!!

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Here in Havasu on Aviation, don’t remember the name and not sure the powder coating shop is still there was 4 years ago. Operation seemed disorganized but did a nice job.
You are correct has held up nicely, I’m sure any decent powder coating shop uses the same process and materials.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
only way chrome headers wont discolor is if you run cmi water jacketed type like Merc raceing engines or similar type. you have to have enough exhaust pressure on water injected to not get reversion so all most allways a problem at idle speeds and youll get some discoloration, those coated headers do look great

port austin pirate

Reaction score
One more thing I forgot to mention on mine I ran a water pickup with manuel valve you can adjust valve for pressure needed or shutoff when you need extended idle, keeps them cool while running it was crude but worked for my useage

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Here in Havasu on Aviation, don’t remember the name and not sure the powder coating shop is still there was 4 years ago. Operation seemed disorganized but did a nice job.
You are correct has held up nicely, I’m sure any decent powder coating shop uses the same process and materials.
Was at the old Dcucci building and was part of his operation I think. Everything has changed since he passed.

instagator

Reaction score
My 454 LS6 is 60 over , 11 1/4 to 1, don't remember the cam specs but I remember 630 was in there and the shop referred to it as a V-drive cam(non Roller) solid lifters, Roller Rockers, 990 Heads. Shop said it was about 650 HP.
Just bought a set of Basset Headers (which I paid too much for) but they really stand out especially after looking at the old ones for so long. I've always run dry stacks, but I'd hate to see the chrome on these go bad. Really worried about Reversion though, and water mixing with 14 quarts of Brad Penn oil is also a big negative. It seems to me it will be a big headache to run water through them even set up with no water 'till 2500 RPM and an on off valve by the driver seat.
Best way to do it valve under your seat, becomes a natural move when you come off plane. I was exiting my boat cole TR-2 holding the air cleaner ,tip towing on the gunnel sides . I slipped and my under arms just grazed the headers, My skin stuck to the pipes. Four inches of skin gone on both arms.

AzMandella

Reaction score
Why has nobody mentioned running a Bassett T. I ran a Bassett T right after the valve directly on the manifold output . Spring loaded valve stays closed at idle and low RPM and opens when the output pressure rises under acceleration . Never have had a problem with reversion in 16 yrs on my old boat .

RaceTec

Reaction score
Why has nobody mentioned running a Bassett T. I ran a Bassett T right after the valve directly on the manifold output . Spring loaded valve stays closed at idle and low RPM and opens when the output pressure rises under acceleration . Never have had a problem with reversion in 16 yrs on my old boat .
That is what I am plumbing in right now. Dry headers were too loud for the ladies, not to mention the heat! I paid way too much for the Bassett water lines, and need to get my plumbing done now that I drilled out all of the plugs in the headers that were rusted in. Also make sure the weep holes are open in the bottom of the turn...

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Have had pieces of water weed get stuck between the seat and ball on the Tee / check valve and still have plenty of water to headers at idle.
But that’s me….

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I just force fed mine. Problem solved. Not like yore parked idling in a flat.

poncho

Reaction score
Best way to do it valve under your seat, becomes a natural move when you come off plane. I was exiting my boat cole TR-2 holding the air cleaner ,tip towing on the gunnel sides . I slipped and my under arms just grazed the headers, My skin stuck to the pipes. Four inches of skin gone on both arms.
I had the exact same thing happen to me, Wife slid her Coppertoned ass down the side, feet were gone before I could blink.
Spent the whole day with the water to my shoulders.