WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Should I? Kid boat project.......

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
With the kids getting older, I want to start tubing and skiing a bit and my current boat want's no part in that bullshit. I also have been teaching my soon-to-be 10 year old how to drive the boat, tie it off, anchor it, etc. I was thinking it might be cool to find a little run-about so we can do this stuff, and maybe I can teach my son how to dock the boat, beach the boat, etc. It would be cool to give him something to wrench on a bit, maybe a bit of a fixer upper.

With these things in mind, went to look at a boat my buddy has. Sort of a "hybrid" bass boat / play boat.

1986 Cee Bee Avenger
150HP Black max - good compression, serviced last year, runs well except hard to start when cold and needs a shot of ether to get going.

It also has removable fishing seats, and comes with a 4hp Merc 4-stroke tolling motor.

Trailer has new tires and is in good shape, bunks look good

Boat overall is in good shape for a '86. Gel is surprisingly shiny, no major rash anywhere. Interior needs some scrubbing but vinyl is solid, and the boat actually has a full fiberglass inner liner with snap-in carpet.

Reg is current on boat and trailer, has title

Might be a cool little boat to explore up-river above the bridge, trimmed way up or even with the trolling motor if it gets hairy......

Should I? What's it worth?

1622824328472.png

1622824401584.png

1622824416743.png

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Cool boat. And yes, you should. Would make a fun do it all boat. Fish tube, play, and not have to worry about it too much.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Just make sure it is fun for your son, and not a chore....if he isn't enthused about it, then it will be your boat and become contentious. Don't mistake your excitement for his..

But if he is excited then, hell yah!

Tank

Reaction score
I'd actually go jet boat route with the house on the river. Would be cool to have a basic powered inboard jet boat the kids can run with they get a little older. Pick something up for under 5k and clean it up and pimp it out.

Knowing your skills though, I"m sure you could make the OB boat you're looking at pretty bad ass.

RichieRich

Reaction score
ok...we are discussing this now in our house. I want to buy an older jet with a 454 in it and restore it so my kids can use it instead of using our boat. And i think it would be a blast to cruise it around a little on Sunday mornings.
I say go for it man

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
ok...we are discussing this now in our house. I want to buy an older jet with a 454 in it and restore it so my kids can use it instead of using our boat. And i think it would be a blast to cruise it around a little on Sunday mornings.
I say go for it man
I like that idea too, but I think the 150 outboard will be easier to steer, dock, maneuver, and should sip the fuel ! Plus I see a garaunteed BBC rebuild in my future if I get an unknown jetbote 😬

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Ask AvengerBabe what she thinks of that make.😉😊
I think you got a nice little plan in store for your boy. Any start is a good start for him.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Why not a small pwc engine powered12-14 ft jet for them to use as a starter bote?
Low maintenance and easy to take care of. :)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Why not a small pwc engine powered12-14 ft jet for them to use as a starter bote?
Low maintenance and easy to take care of. :)
This would be the ticket! I think they are damn expensive though and hard to find, people build them out of kits right?
I've been watching this....

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Cee Bee Avenger built some of the best performing runabouts in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. As long as the Merc 150 is still in good shape, you can't go wrong.
The bottom looks like a mod-VP style. Fairly shallow, 2 tunnels towards the rear

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Do it, but stop being afraid of the river north of Needles. It is nice that so many fear it, keeps the traffic low, but it’s really no big deal once you learn the lines
I just want to run it a few times in a boat that isn't mine....lol
I know it's fine if you know the line, I just dont know it and I hate having to follow somebody

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Cee Bee Avenger built some of the best performing runabouts in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. As long as the Merc 150 is still in good shape, you can't go wrong.

Do 2 smokes ever go bad? LoL

That would be a kick ass boat for a kid jerry. And he could explore the swamps with that trolling motor.

F that jet boat non sense. How would a kid afford to put gas in the thing??

Perfect boat to learn on right there. 👍

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Looks like a cool project. I went this route with my youngest. Here is my .02.

I agree with Mandelon regarding making sure that he is as or more about it as you are. If not trouble will will follow when they discover the work required. I am sure your kids are well versed on boating while with you. But if they do go at it alone when young adults, I would go the jet route for safety. We have all had our fair share of close calls or worse.

All that aside, have fun. I still look back fondly and proudly at the photos of building the boat with my son.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Do 2 smokes ever go bad? LoL

That would be a kick ass boat for a kid jerry. And he could explore the swamps with that trolling motor.

F that jet boat non sense. How would a kid afford to put gas in the thing??

Perfect boat to learn on right there. 👍
I didn't think of the "swamps" - this would let us get back in to the backwater thru Topock right?

Whole section of river i've never seen....

1622829500572.png

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Good plan you have there Jerry if you can get it at a decent price. Those BM motors will run forever if serviced regularly and oil mix is done correctly.
On the cold start issue it could be the prime solenoid not working or signal to it is not present when engaging the choke on the throttle control, pretty easy fix.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just make sure it is fun for your son, and not a chore....if he isn't enthused about it, then it will be your boat and become contentious. Don't mistake your excitement for his..

But if he is excited then, hell yah!

well said

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
i always wanted to grab one of those bayliner capri's with the v6 and the merc alpha i/o. they are open bow, have a ton of room, cheap... and the fact that it says "bayliner" down the side everyone would just get out of your way. i always see em for sale for next to nothing. they have pretty simple interiors with those back to back seats you can order online so it shouldnt cost much to renovate or hell, just leave it as-is so you can get fish blood all over it and the kids can pretty much destroy.

1622834064608.png

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
i always wanted to grab one of those bayliner capri's with the v6 and the merc alpha i/o. they are open bow, have a ton of room, cheap... and the fact that it says "bayliner" down the side everyone would just get out of your way. i always see em for sale for next to nothing. they have pretty simple interiors with those back to back seats you can order online so it shouldnt cost much to renovate or hell, just leave it as-is so you can get fish blood all over it and the kids can pretty much destroy.

View attachment 1010031
I like it! Not enough power to hurt itself.....and the only thing that makes people stay farther away than that is a SWIFT 53' trailer on the 40E

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The bottom looks like a mod-VP style. Fairly shallow, 2 tunnels towards the rear
No. They have some pronounced chines but that isnt the tunnel model. Those have wide tunnels all the way up. About 4" deep if I recall.

If that Black Max has good compression, or at least strong and even compression across all 6, its a good engine that will just fucking run! SUPER easy to work on and VERY reliable. It may be cheaper to rebuild a 454 once....... but that outboard will out live the 454 if maintained 2 to 3 times over at a minimum.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
The '86 BM is right up my ally if you go that route which isn't a bad way to go. Don't let anyone fool you, that engine WILL eat gas and oil but not as bad as a jet will but it does eat gas. The cold start is a tendency of those BM's. When cold pump the primer bulb until hard, set cold start lever to 1/2 to 3/4 advance, push primer button, which ever it is, for 10 SECONDS min, then crank and be prepared to back the cold start lever down some and keep hitting the primer button until she stays lit.
Get rid of the oil injection system stat and premix your own with good oil, Walmart believe it or not, is fine just make sure it's TC3 or better. Up there in the sandy river water go through the water pump every year. You should be able to do that in about a 1/2 hour start to finish.

I'm also in favor of the jetboat!! Sure it eats fuel but it doesn't have a prop that will need fixing every other weekend with kids driving it and it is much safer that that prop spinning around back there. One way to cure this is to make sure you teach them the old "clear" routine that ALL people should use. That being captain yells clear and EVERYONE on board says it also. NOBODY should get hurt that way. My 1st boss in the boat biz taught me that the very first day I worked for him over 40 years ago and I still use it to this day on our boat. That was working on the hard not even on the water. It's VERY effective and lets everyone help with NO catastrophes. BE Safe!!!!!!!!

Reactions: DWC

boatnam2

Reaction score
Bought a brand new ceebee back in the mid 80's , skied the shit out of that thing, great little boat and perfect for a kid to learn the ropes.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Bought a brand new ceebee back in the mid 80's , skied the shit out of that thing, great little boat and perfect for a kid to learn the ropes.
Was yours set up for all passengers or was it a hybrid fish / ski setup like this one?

boatnam2

Reaction score
Was yours set up for all passengers or was it a hybrid fish / ski setup like this one?
Mine was a 20ft tunnel with 200 Black max, back in the 80's there was a guy off the side of the freeway in Hesperia, he use to sell them like crazy.

DC-88

Reaction score
Do it. The additional time you'll spend on the water with the family skiing, fishing, etc. makes it worth it right there. Plus, this boat or a jet are great "up" river boats.

brgrcru

Reaction score

View attachment 1010031

I have seen more people having fun with these boats then any other boat
All day long

FishSniper

Reaction score
With the kids getting older, I want to start tubing and skiing a bit and my current boat want's no part in that bullshit. I also have been teaching my soon-to-be 10 year old how to drive the boat, tie it off, anchor it, etc. I was thinking it might be cool to find a little run-about so we can do this stuff, and maybe I can teach my son how to dock the boat, beach the boat, etc. It would be cool to give him something to wrench on a bit, maybe a bit of a fixer upper.

With these things in mind, went to look at a boat my buddy has. Sort of a "hybrid" bass boat / play boat.

1986 Cee Bee Avenger
150HP Black max - good compression, serviced last year, runs well except hard to start when cold and needs a shot of ether to get going.

It also has removable fishing seats, and comes with a 4hp Merc 4-stroke tolling motor.

Trailer has new tires and is in good shape, bunks look good

Boat overall is in good shape for a '86. Gel is surprisingly shiny, no major rash anywhere. Interior needs some scrubbing but vinyl is solid, and the boat actually has a full fiberglass inner liner with snap-in carpet.

Reg is current on boat and trailer, has title

Might be a cool little boat to explore up-river above the bridge, trimmed way up or even with the trolling motor if it gets hairy......

Should I? What's it worth?

View attachment 1009932

View attachment 1009933

View attachment 1009934
Yes. I’ve been thinking about getting a small center console outboard type boat to fish Havasu. There’s a whaler in the Havasu springs marina that I’ve had my eye on.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
I'd actually go jet boat route with the house on the river. Would be cool to have a basic powered inboard jet boat the kids can run with they get a little older. Pick something up for under 5k and clean it up and pimp it out.

Knowing your skills though, I"m sure you could make the OB boat you're looking at pretty bad ass.
I agree with all said! The only problem is, with this current bizarre pricing where do find a jet boat that can clean up for $5K.

Tank

Reaction score
I agree with all said! The only problem is, with this current bizarre pricing where do find a jet boat that can clean up for $5K.

I don’t know. Lol I haven’t priced stuff out lately. I was thinking some off brand “POS”. But yeah, I suppose that’s unrealistic unless you’re getting a basket case. Which at that point F all that.

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Well here she is......

image.jpg

We gave it a scrubbing and dad fixed a busted trim actuator hose and got the choke solonoid working for easier cold starts. Once warm, the damn boat fires up faster than anything I’ve seen, you look at the key and it’s running lol

1590F041-776F-49BC-B108-4CC713800D19.jpeg

why does a a cold beer taste so good in a boat.....in the driveway?

53BBC79F-3E61-47EA-97CD-68609A45DD8D.jpeg

Came with a knee board, a 2-man tube, trolling motor setup and a bunch of other stuff

image.jpg

All my wife wants to know is when we are starting flooring and kitchen demo.....

image.jpg

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Well tell David congratulations!
You guys are going to have a blast with that little thing. Make sure to film the first trip on the water.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Well here she is......
$2000 and it followed home!

View attachment 1010685

We gave it a scrubbing and dad fixed a busted trim actuator hose and got the choke solonoid working for easier cold starts. Once warm, the damn boat fires up faster than anything I’ve seen, you look at the key and it’s running lol

View attachment 1010686

why does a a cold beer taste so good in a boat.....in the driveway?

View attachment 1010688

Came with a knee board, a 2-man tube, trolling motor setup and a bunch of other stuff

View attachment 1010690

All my wife wants to know is when we are starting flooring and kitchen demo.....

View attachment 1010691
Sweet little boat, congrats to the kids.