WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Should self-driving vehicles be banned?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
If these vehicles are programmed to not speed or make traffic law violations, it could cost a lot of money for local governments. That would obviously trigger a tax increase response.

Maybe it's best to ban them now? What do you guys think?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
If these vehicles are programmed to not speed or make traffic law violations, it could cost a lot of money for local governments. That would obviously trigger a tax increase response.

Lets try a volunteer test run first....

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score

I think we should make it against the law to follow the laws.

500bbc

Reaction score
You get sent home early for pooping your pants again?:p

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The cars will be programmed to arbitrarily break traffic laws. The fines for these violations will go to the vehicle's owner.

spectras only

Reaction score
Self driving cars is a stupid idea for stupid people who don't know how to drive. Case closed. :p Bicycle companies should make expensive little bikes with gyros for toddlers,so they wouldn't have to start with a tricycle to learn controlling them.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Bicycle companies should make expensive little bikes with gyros for toddlers,so they wouldn't have to start with a tricycle to learn controlling them.

There was a two-wheeler with stabilizing gyro system.
It was called the Segway, and it eventually killed the owner of the company :p

BigQ

Reaction score
I love the idea of self-driving cars. It will create less road rage, decrease traffic and increase fuel mileage. That said, I think Tom is correct that it would eventually lead to a fee or tax. Take for instance the electric and hybrid vehicle in ca (especially electric) which it has been indicated that the state has seen a sizable drop in tax revenue from the gas tax. the politicians are now looking into tracking the mileage and taxing us based on how much we drive. I bought an electric car trying to be a good citizen (plus i am a geek so it is just cool) , had solar installed, you know, saving the planet and all,which is more BS anyway. Now some of the benefits are looking to be eroded in the future. With SCE talking about a solar fee and the state looking to charge by the mile I don't see any reason why they should not have a fee or tax for a self-driving car.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
At the same time we should all be required to have '360 video cameras' and '50cal mini guns' to help keep the roadways safe. "To observe and defend" HA HA

500bbc

Reaction score
I love the idea of self-driving cars. It will create less road rage, decrease traffic and increase fuel mileage. That said, I think Tom is correct that it would eventually lead to a fee or tax. Take for instance the electric and hybrid vehicle in ca (especially electric) which it has been indicated that the state has seen a sizable drop in tax revenue from the gas tax. the politicians are now looking into tracking the mileage and taxing us based on how much we drive. I bought an electric car trying to be a good citizen (plus i am a geek so it is just cool) , had solar installed, you know, saving the planet and all,which is more BS anyway. Now some of the benefits are looking to be eroded in the future. With SCE talking about a solar fee and the state looking to charge by the mile I don't see any reason why they should not have a fee or tax for a self-driving car.

Behavior modification, easy for them to achieve isn't it? At least for the 50% of this country that voted for Obama.