WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Should've stayed at the river

Icky

Reaction score
I should've stayed, maybe then I would've remembered the hatch ram was disconnected:rolleyes:.

Pulled my Odyssey batteries out at the end of the season to keep them charged at home since I have no power in my unit. Had to disconnect the ram to get the hatch closed so I could put my cover on.

Fast forward to today, I was going to tow home with the cockpit covers on because I heard it was raining back home, got to vidal and took them off cause the weather looked clear ahead, didn't want them blowing off.

About a mile down the road I noticed the hatch hanging in my side mirror. For a split second I was like WTF, that's not possible. Then the light blub turned on, I'm a fucking dumb ass.

Pulled over, flipped it back over as it was hanging on by one hinge, the other one pulled right through the fiberglass......

Lesson to be learned here is, never leave the river early:(

Taboma

Reaction score
Damn :eek: My two OLD Odysseys went to shit despite a charger on them. Hatch won't lift, or even try. Pulled the rear seat, reached through the hole, but there's so much tension on the sucked down hatch, the pin won't budge. I'll try to use my Microstart and back feed it through the 12V receptacle.
I'll take my problem over yours :p

Icky

Reaction score
IMG_20180303_122726936_HDR-1603x2137.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Won't buff out, but at least it didn't rip out or fracture that large of an area. Perhaps lucky it didn't have large washers. My hinges are like yours, so if the jump doesn't work (For some reason -- like batteries shorted etc.), I'll try pulling the rear pins to release some tension.

Icky

Reaction score
Won't buff out, but at least it didn't rip out or fracture that large of an area. Perhaps lucky it didn't have large washers. My hinges are like yours, so if the jump doesn't work (For some reason -- like batteries shorted etc.), I'll try pulling the rear pins to release some tension.
I guess I'm lucky in that aspect, the other two bolts must have broken.

I would pull the rear pins if it's that tight, mine you have to push the button and twist it back and forth to remove it.

Powermizer

Reaction score
Sorry to see any boat damage. Doesn’t help, but it could have been way worse.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Damn that sucks. I would of lost my mind.

Like said, could of been worse [emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rvrrun

Reaction score
That sucks.

Through bolted, but no washers. They probably would have made a bigger mess if they pulled through.

It looks like the hinge base might cover most of the damage, then maybe a bottom plate to hold it.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
That looks familiar. Is that a Daytona?
The person? that owned my Daytona before me flipped the hatch over at least once.
It didn't pull through but it stress cracked all to hell. That and the hatch was all busted up.
I couldn't believe Eliminator built those hatches out of wood and then fiber-glassed them and then vinyl.
You could grab the sides and back and just move it with just your hands.
I bought a new all fiberglass one and had it shipped to me from Eliminator. That wasn't cheap BUT it sure looks a lot better than the old vinyl covered one.
When you do something like that it just makes you sick. To see your baby hurt.
get it fixed right away.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Feeling your pain

My brother did the same when he "borrowed" my boat once

I left the pin to the hitch out once early am run and almost put the boat in the back window of the wife's sub after my brake test then rolled down the driveway and the boat came undone good thing for the trailer brake away cable or it would have

SHIT appens

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I had it happen to me too on the 14 fwy. I was on my way out to get a custom cover done. Just a few miles from my exit (after being on the road for an hour) I look in the rear view mirror and see my carb & air cleaner! WTF. I didn’t have an electric ram but straps that held it down. It must’ve bounced a few too many times and they came unbuttoned. When it flew open it decided to take the bimini top with it. It also smacked the teak swim step and fuckered it up too.:rolleyes:

I pulled over just in time to see my bimini top run over by a concrete mixer. F me. Fortunately a buddy was local and was able to run out in the freeway and grab it. The fabric was ok but the frame was trashed. Luckily my cover guy did bimini frames so he got a more money out of me. Shit happens.

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Even worse....did it on the lake, I didn’t think those little snap straps were all that necessary on my first eliminator v hull. It had the two little assist struts to hold the hatch up, nothing to hold it down other than gravity and those straps.

Moving along about 70 and boom gone, it’s floating upside down in the lake. Three four boats saw me, embarrassing as fuk.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Did it to my 34 SCARAB
Scarab had electric hatch lift BUT the lift has a slide built into it so IF the lift fails you can raise the hatch manually enough to reach the pin to release the lift.
Here's where it went bad.
The SCARAB doesn't have a good way for air to get into the engine compartment and the engine ran much better with the hatch cracked open about 1 inch to let cool air in.
I was out on Lake Michigan and hit a rouge wave at 55 MPH and the hatch jumped up enough for the wind to catch it and yank it open and the slide gave it enough velocity to remove the lift mount from the underside of the hatch and flop onto the swim platform.

Icky

Reaction score
Alright, reading all your stories I don't feel so bad. Still feel like a dumb ass though.

That looks familiar. Is that a Daytona?
The person? that owned my Daytona before me flipped the hatch over at least once.
It didn't pull through but it stress cracked all to hell. That and the hatch was all busted up.
I couldn't believe Eliminator built those hatches out of wood and then fiber-glassed them and then vinyl.
You could grab the sides and back and just move it with just your hands.
I bought a new all fiberglass one and had it shipped to me from Eliminator. That wasn't cheap BUT it sure looks a lot better than the old vinyl covered one.
When you do something like that it just makes you sick. To see your baby hurt.
get it fixed right away.

Yes it's a 99 Daytona, The hatch just got rebuilt last year when I had the interior done cause the wood and fiberglass was broken and cracked. Hopefully it doesn't have to be rebuilt again.

gqchris

Reaction score
We all have these stories. I got a good one and pricey story for ya, just got my Ferrari back from the shop for a clutch job. I used my fancy red Ferrari seat cover while in shop to keep my seats clean. So im picking it up, all excited. Beautiful day out. Car is happy to see me. Lol. Im like, myswell drop the top down. Hit the button, hear some crunching. My top lid hatch is all crooked and ate itself and freaking out. I stop the top cycle. Jump out. My dumbass left my seat cover on the roof and the roof folded back and swallowed it and jacked the whole Capote system. Yes thats a part name. Lol. Shit my pants. Feeling of joy was now terror!

I still got the scars on the paint and fiberglass on the lid, and my top just has never been the same. Anyways, i feel ya! We all do it. No matter how expert we think we are!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Bummer. Yeah - we have all been there a time or X. "It is all replaceable / fixable - new asses are hard to come by" (told to me by a trucker on my farm when I was 12). I get worried with people laying out - human bumper (on the docks / raft ups) trying to save fiberglass and getting hurt.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
My Daytona has a hood scoop and because of it the engine compartment gets pressurized. There is enough pressure to blow the back seat cushions off at about 100 mph. I have even sealed the scoop to the flame arrester but it is not completely air tight and still blows the cushions off at speeds of over 100 mph. I ever added extra Velcro to no avail.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
My Daytona has a hood scoop and because of it the engine compartment gets pressurized. There is enough pressure to blow the back seat cushions off at about 100 mph. I have even sealed the scoop to the flame arrester but it is not completely air tight and still blows the cushions off at speeds of over 100 mph. I ever added extra Velcro to no avail.

Any way to provide a relief opening at the rear of the scoop ? I know I've seen some done that way.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Any way to provide a relief opening at the rear of the scoop ? I know I've seen some done that way.
The ram air makes a noticable increase in HP so I don't want to relieve the air pressure. I am going to install dual hatch lifts so that I don't have to screw around with the straps. It is easy to remove the back seat in case the lift fails. Before I sealed the scoop to the flame arrester it made a noticable change in HP when the cushions blew off the back seat allowing the air pressure to leak out the strap access holes.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Dang that sucks. I would imagine insurance would take care of it? Can you put a full pic of the boat? Always like looking at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icky

Reaction score
All better, Jose and the team at Eliminator did an amazing job. Repaired the fiberglass, gel coat, replaced the engine hatch and hinges. Thank you guys

Unfortunately they didn't drop a faster motor in for me out of pity, nor would they let me takr the 27 speedster with 400s home instead.
IMG_20180405_180115700_HDR-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20180405_181113502-2137x1603.jpg

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Lookin sharp again! damn I need to learn the art of gel coat repair...I am already skilled at fiberglass, just not gel lol~! glad she got repaired properly, it does look great!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Looks great.
After making a mooring cover for a Baja outlaw that went on the road to Vegas and was gone by the time they got there, I I started sewing leashes on them that strap to the steering wheel and one other spot so if they got blown loose they would stay in the boat.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Didn’t realize we were twins! Did the powder coat the hardware too or do you just have it looking that good??
IMG_7098.JPG

Icky

Reaction score
Nope it's needs to be re done though, I just had the right camera angle lol.

Met some one at desert center last year from here that asked me if I was you, I said no that's the one with the bigger motor
Didn’t realize we were twins! Did the powder coat the hardware too or do you just have it looking that good??
View attachment 632996

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Nope it's needs to be re done though, I just had the right camera angle lol.

Met some one at desert center last year from here that asked me if I was you, I said no that's the one with the bigger motor

All of my hardware just got done. I will send you some pics when I see it!

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
All better, Jose and the team at Eliminator did an amazing job. Repaired the fiberglass, gel coat, replaced the engine hatch and hinges. Thank you guys

Unfortunately they didn't drop a faster motor in for me out of pity, nor would they let me takr the 27 speedster with 400s home instead. View attachment 632932 View attachment 632933

Well, this is the only picture I got today.

54525543591__01E27605-31AB-441C-99E8-651AC0E0828E.jpeg