RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Video is set to private and is requiring a password

RD

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
Hoory FOOK...That kid on the four wheeler :eek::eek::eek:

Back in summer of '89, I was working as a mechanic with an air cargo outfit out of Kodiak AK. We spent the summer hauling fish from Egegik to Kodiak with a DC3. The approach was standard for all aircraft attempting to land was to fly one low pass over the beach and circle around to land. This fly over was to inform the locals that aircraft were gonna land on the beach so that nobody would run out in front of the landing aircraft and holy fudge, there were a couple times where the drunken eskimos just didn't see us while they were pulling their set nets from the water up the beach, on their 4wheelers, right in front of a large old aircraft, with expander tube brakes that offer poor to no braking capability. Nobody on the beach got killed that summer, but man, thats a scary feeling knowing that there was nothing we could do about it. The captain was a young confident kid that would tell me that if it happens, it's gonna be a bloody mess for the mechanic to clean up...:eek:

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
That was close, "dune lice"
It's an open area and close to camps not really the safest spot to be running 150 kids do ride near camp areas as well and spotters can't stop everyone. Anyone can pop out of nowhere and if there was a collision guy would have lost everything he owns.

3.Slow

Reaction score
It's an open area and close to camps not really the safest spot to be running 150 kids do ride near camp areas as well and spotters can't stop everyone. Anyone can pop out of nowhere and if there was a collision guy would have lost everything he owns.
I have to agree with you here, it would appear as though everyone was watching the cars and not where they were headed, from ground level on a quad it would be hard to know you are at the tail end of a makeshift drag strip. While it is an impressive display of power, I think there is a lack of adequate safety measures in place to ensure the safety of the general public. Then again, I could be completely wrong and the quad blew past half a dozen people trying to stop him, but that's not what it looked like in the video.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Holy crap! Shit got really fast in the past 15 or so years. I always liked the sand drags, but just to make a pass or two on the way to or from running the dunes. The dunes to me were the endless roller coaster, the drags were just to see if you were faster than your buddy. My old car couldn't even beat some of the SXS's now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I get that it's an open area, but it's pretty damn obvious what's going on here.. Why can't some people pay attention to the their freakin surroundings?

RD

jholley

Your RDP Connection To Selman Chevrolet!!!
Reaction score
Not as much as the kid would of lost!

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
So the guy (1:36) from other stories, literally crossed the drags to throw away a soda can. Drove through, threw it away, and went back, like nothing happened. Shook up the drivers quite a bit but the quad rider was oblivious.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So the guy (1:36) from other stories, literally crossed the drags to throw away a soda can. Drove through, threw it away, and went back, like nothing happened. Shook up the drivers quite a bit but the quad rider was oblivious.

Good lord..

RD

77charger

Reaction score
I get that it's an open area, but it's pretty damn obvious what's going on here.. Why can't some people pay attention to the their freakin surroundings?

RD
Dave not everyone knows what's going on there. It wasn't really advertised like in the past. There's some crest on sand hwy you cannot see over and by then cars coming at 150 it's too late to react. People get killed on sand hwy every year yeh speed limit is 15 but 20-30 is still done safely. That spot where quad came out are a couple small dunes. As for the drags yes most know what's going on there because it's in the same area but this wasn't the drags. Other side of gecko road would be better suited less traffic.

Even driving thru the flats where there's small bushes with trails all over I've had close calls but not quite fast enough where we were both able to manage. Many have tunnel vision not a constant head turning.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave not everyone knows what's going on there. It wasn't really advertised like in the past. There's some crest on sand hwy you cannot see over and by then cars coming at 150 it's too late to react. People get killed on sand hwy every year yeh speed limit is 15 but 20-30 is still done safely. That spot where quad came out are a couple small dunes. As for the drags yes most know what's going on there because it's in the same area but this wasn't the drags. Other side of gecko road would be better suited less traffic.

Even driving thru the flats where there's small bushes with trails all over I've had close calls but not quite fast enough where we were both able to manage. Many have tunnel vision not a constant head turning.

Years ago I went to the delta to pick up a boat with Stacy.. We picked it up and went for a test drive.. We are cruising along and I tell her to stop. She says "why?" I said look around every boat out here is floating or idling, we are the only ones on plane. There's no marker etc.... A short idle later waaayyyy off in the distance we spotted a single little tiny buoy that might have said "no wake" on it.. I dunno I couldn't read it from where we were at.. LOL

My point is people need to look around and take responsibility for their own actions. We can't always blame it on the someone else. While I understand and can even agree with the sentiment you are sharing.. Somehow 200+ other people figured that program out, and only one person didn't.. The problem might lay with the one person.

RD

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Always some dumbfuck happily tripping on their dick through life, fucking up everyone else's program.

I hope who ever was responsible for that idiot on the quad whooped his ass. The problem with idiots like that is that they usually kill not only themselves, but other innocent people.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
He may not have known the drags were there when he crossed the 1st time...how, I don't know. If he returned in the same careless fashion...future Darwin Award or at least contender. There aren't a whole lot of engines capable of those speeds that are silent!

CLdrinker

Reaction score

From what I understand as long as no alcohol or drugs are involved. It’s a no fault accident.

77charger

Reaction score
From what I understand as long as no alcohol or drugs are involved. It’s a no fault accident.
Still wont prevent an attorney from going foward. Theres still the 15 mph limit on sand hwy theres the safer than speeds allow near crowds as well.Despite this being an unsanctioned event it was still organized and some had part in this.No fault so if i hit your ride while in the sand who pays for it then? im sure the well its a no fault accident aint gonna fly.

As for the cars yes they are fast imo other side of gecko rd would have been perfect for them.This year rangers were alright and not as many of them but im sure theres gonna be changes.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Still wont prevent an attorney from going foward. Theres still the 15 mph limit on sand hwy theres the safer than speeds allow near crowds as well.Despite this being an unsanctioned event it was still organized and some had part in this.No fault so if i hit your ride while in the sand who pays for it then? im sure the well its a no fault accident aint gonna fly.

As for the cars yes they are fast imo other side of gecko rd would have been perfect for them.This year rangers were alright and not as many of them but im sure theres gonna be changes.

Who has the right of way in the sand?

So how can I say you hit me, you could easily say I hit you.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
weird. I can't even see the link. But if I hit reply, the link shows up in the reply, but can't play it.. Thoughts?

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
weird. I can't even see the link. But if I hit reply, the link shows up in the reply, but can't play it.. Thoughts?

Enter the password before you hit play?

For me there is a box for the password on the screen. Enter in "toy factory" .

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
If I ever make back to G , I won’t even drink a beer until keys are pulled from car at night . The place is crazy last time I wast there I was 16 Honda act 110

attitude

Reaction score
On this video on instagram people in the comments said they were yelling and waiving their hands at him trying to get him to stop and he just kept on going obliviously. Dumbass...

jesco

Reaction score
If I ever make back to G , I won’t even drink a beer until keys are pulled from car at night . The place is crazy last time I wast there I was 16 Honda act 110
This has been my policy for years, on the water and in the desert. Its just not worth it, period. And IF I still feel drunk/hungover in the AM I won't launch the boat or take the car out, rather sit on the couch or beach and watch people go by....

dirtyduner

Reaction score
It is wild how hard 1 bad beast shits and gets. great footage jamie

MSum661

Reaction score
Always some dumbfuck happily tripping on their dick through life, fucking up everyone else's program.

I hope who ever was responsible for that idiot on the quad whooped his ass. The problem with idiots like that is that they usually kill not only themselves, but other innocent people.

Threading the needle.....that was a close one.

MSum661

Reaction score
I have to agree with you here, it would appear as though everyone was watching the cars and not where they were headed, from ground level on a quad it would be hard to know you are at the tail end of a makeshift drag strip. While it is an impressive display of power, I think there is a lack of adequate safety measures in place to ensure the safety of the general public. Then again, I could be completely wrong and the quad blew past half a dozen people trying to stop him, but that's not what it looked like in the video.

Your not completely wrong.
They should try and establish what would be the end of the track with something like some caution tape and some tall feather flags as markers not only to keep the crowd back, but also to give the drivers a vantage point of the direction they're suppose to be heading for at the end of the run. Reason why I mention that is I watched a guy at Puddingstone Lake leave the lights and immediately landed up outside His lane at WOT until he went head on at a Rescue boat with 7 divers onboard.
He simply lost his sense of direction and lost where the end of the track was and drove himself into a serious crash. Sounds simple enough to go in a straight line but at the speeds these guys are going and how far out they travel it might be good idea to come up with something to mitigate a possible disaster.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Your not completely wrong.
They should try and establish what would be the end of the track with something like some caution tape and some tall feather flags as markers not only to keep the crowd back, but also to give the drivers a vantage point of the direction they're suppose to be heading for at the end of the run. Reason why I mention that is I watched a guy at Puddingstone Lake leave the lights and immediately landed up outside His lane at WOT until he went head on at a Rescue boat with 7 divers onboard.
He simply lost his sense of direction and lost where the end of the track was and drove himself into a serious crash. Sounds simple enough to go in a straight line but at the speeds these guys are going and how far out they travel it might be good idea to come up with something to mitigate a possible disaster.

You would think if someone lost their sense of direction they'd let off?

RD

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
The car on the car side belongs to a friend of mine. They did everything they could legally do to block and keep people from crossing the path. They had cones and many spotters with flags. As said earlier, people were waving flags, arms, yelling, etc and the guy was totally oblivious to everything around him. At that speed those cars are traveling 2 football fields in less than 3 seconds. The guy on the quad should have bought a lottery ticket that day. The guy driving the black car that almost hit him was very shaken up. It’s a good thing he kept his cool when he saw the quad and didn’t make any crazy evasive maneuvers.

copterzach

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the Mescan flag at :14 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk