WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shower remodel questions.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So I am getting ready to remodel our guest shower/tub
I will be doing the demo and setting the new tub.
Questions

Best way to demo old fiberglass shower sawzall and and grinder?

How in the hell can I hook up the drain after setting the tub?
Will I have to cut a hole in the drywall of the bedroom on the other side of the wall? What drain kit should I get?

My existing enclosure is 58 1/4 x 31. Thats drywall to dryeall inside measurement. That would put me at 59 1/4.
Common tubs are 60”. Do they run small enough?

What tub should I get?
I will be installing by myself so cast iron would be an ass kicker.
Was thinking of installing this tub if it would fit.

Don’t mind the broken seat cover lol kid broke it a few weeks ago and I figured I would deal with it when I reinstalled the toilet.
690CED5A-01BE-429E-804B-356B3D4C12E3.jpeg
AE2F132A-B556-408E-9922-7A3C9DDB4E73.png

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Sawzall to cut it out. Grinder=too much fiberglass dust. Cut it out and determine the drain situation at that time. 👍

cofooter

Reaction score
Sawzall and grinder is good, where gloves and a mask. THe drain assy is put together and attached to the p-trap before the tub goes in. At least thats how I always did it. You need to line is up very close, drop in the tub, and the tub hardware attaches to the drain assy from inside the tub.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Sawzall and grinder is good, where gloves and a mask. THe drain assy is put together and attached to the p-trap before the tub goes in. At least thats how I always did it. You need to line is up very close, drop in the tub, and the tub hardware attaches to the drain assy from inside the tub.
Ok so I should be able to glue everything together and then drop tub? Once tub is down I won’t have any access. So measure 15x...

cofooter

Reaction score
Ok so I should be able to glue everything together and then drop tub? Once tub is down I won’t have any access. So measure 15x...
Yep trial and error, before you glue. Get it set up, put the tub in to check, adjust. I'm no tradesman, just a weekend warrior so someone may have a better approach.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score

Yes, providing EVERYTHING lines up. if not you might have evaluate your options.

Godo thing is your surround looks to be from the mid 90s so I will know what to expect for the other 3 homes that I have with that same condition. The 80 year old house I did 15 years ago was easy since it was not slab on Grade.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Looking forward to the pics. Looks like we have the same size bathroom. It's on the list to do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cofooter

Reaction score
My existing enclosure is 58 1/4 x 31. Thats drywall to dryeall inside measurement. That would put me at 59 1/4.

YOu need to measue where the studs are not drywall, the tub you are talking about fits between studs on the ends, not drywall. The drywall starts above the tub slightly and is then tiled or whatever. I think you'll be fine with 5ft tub, if not just a little more demo for clearance :) :) :)

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score

YOu need to measue where the studs are not drywall, the tub you are talking about fits between studs on the ends, not drywall. The drywall starts above the tub slightly and is then tiled or whatever. I think you'll be fine with 5ft tub, if not just a little more demo for clearance :) :) :)
I know it goes to stud. That’s why added 1”. I need to get a tub ordered. Tile guy will be here week of the 17th

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Anyone have a tub suggestion? Which material is junk? Cast iron is the way to go but would be a pain to align with plumbing by myself

cofooter

Reaction score
I know it goes to stud. That’s why added 1”. I need to get a tub ordered. Tile guy will be here week of the 17th
Poor reading comprehension on my part, I think you'll be fine - tub and tub openings are pretty std unless you are doing something custom.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Poor reading comprehension on my part, I think you'll be fine - tub and tub openings are pretty std unless you are doing something custom.
That’s what I’m thinking. If it’s not a 60” tub then it’s an oddball size.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Anyone have a tub suggestion? Which material is junk? Cast iron is the way to go but would be a pain to align with plumbing by myself

Not sure if true. Was talking to Ferguson rep at a show. He claims that they have product with better finishes than Home Depot. I would start there. Our 15 year american standard is not holding up as well as I think that it should have.

lf2

Reaction score
Being that you dont have a access panel on backside make sure and use a glue together drain kit not a slip fit kit.

braindead

Reaction score

This is the opposite of how our plumber does it, he connects the drain and overflow to the tub, sets the tub, then goes under the house to run the drain and trap to line up to the tub. Less stress on the plastic parts if u do it how I mentioned because if your wall has a bow to it, it'll kick one need of the tub out further than the other.

As far as stud to stud measurements, u need to break open an exploratory hole to see what size opening you have, that's an expensive measuring error u don't wanna make if the tub is too long and doesn't fit.

Lastly u need to check with the manufacturer of whatever u buy from Amazon if they will honor the warranty if bought off Amazon, lots of manufacturers don't honor warranties from products sold on Amazon because it's usually sold by a third party sales company who didn't buy direct from the manufacturer.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Last one I did I could reach down through the studs and get to the plumbing kit glue it all together. I also had a large open area in the concrete to work in.

DLC

Reaction score
Do you really need the tub? Do you have little kids?

If it’s used more often as a shower your more likely to have someone slip Getting in & out. Why not just make it a shower...

we just eliminated our tub and made it a shower in our spare bathroom.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This is the opposite of how our plumber does it, he connects the drain and overflow to the tub, sets the tub, then goes under the house to run the drain and trap to line up to the tub. Less stress on the plastic parts if u do it how I mentioned because if your wall has a bow to it, it'll kick one need of the tub out further than the other.

As far as stud to stud measurements, u need to break open an exploratory hole to see what size opening you have, that's an expensive measuring error u don't wanna make if the tub is too long and doesn't fit.

Lastly u need to check with the manufacturer of whatever u buy from Amazon if they will honor the warranty if bought off Amazon, lots of manufacturers don't honor warranties from products sold on Amazon because it's usually sold by a third party sales company who didn't buy direct from the manufacturer.

I don’t have a raised foundation. Slab sits directly on the dirt.

im going to rip it out tomorrow and take a measurement then try to find a tub. ( not much in stock)

good call on the amazon warranty never thought about it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Do you really need the tub? Do you have little kids?

If it’s used more often as a shower your more likely to have someone slip Getting in & out. Why not just make it a shower...

we just eliminated our tub and made it a shower in our spare bathroom.

3 kids. 11,6 & 3
Also this is not our forever home so I’m not going all out.

Reactions: DLC

lantz

Reaction score
I did this a while back, and I am a complete amateur. I thought my measurements were dead on with the tub and between the studs, what I didn't account for was the drywall in the rest of the bathroom that I didn't cut out. Because of plumbing fixtures I couldn't get the tub into the space at an angle and then let it slide down into the space. It took two of us and a lot of cussing and then some drywall repair. Had there been no drywall at all or door trim, it would have been a cinch to just get the tub through the door and then slide it into place. Also, the one piece surround on the walls was about 2" away from the studs behind it, so even with cement board and tile, I had to do plumbing work to get new fixtures to fit flush against new tiled walls. As far as I remember, my drain on the inside of the tub had a fitting that screwed into the fitting underneath, so I was able to test fit all of that, lift the tub, mark it, disassemble, glue , drop the tub, and screw in the drain with plumbers putty. It was helpful being able to reach in through open studs on walls for test fitting. It was even more helpful that I already knew that I was redoing the bathroom on the other side of the wall, so I pulled the doors off other bathroom vanity, and cut out the drywall. Don't forget that if your tub doesn't have built in supports underneath, when you drop it down for the final time, put some piles of thinset in places that might carry a lot of weight, like where people will stand or sit if they take a bath. Good luck.

wzuber

Reaction score
Search out the John Bridge tiling forum, sign up and ask all your questionss there. Very helpful, knowledgable tradesmen there. Good luck, yore gunna need it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Tonight’s progress. It is 60” stud to stud
B505C3BC-04EC-4B9F-9B76-4EB0747144D1.jpeg
B54243BF-5569-46C2-BB76-1B5AB39399CC.jpeg
0268235C-011E-4EE4-A341-A5945A980BE6.jpeg

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
So you are saying that you have 60” stud to stud on the side walls. Looks like you are good to go!!!!

EE00BDE3-DB39-4ED7-8689-70B4FE733B5D.jpeg

braindead

Reaction score
I don’t have a raised foundation. Slab sits directly on the dirt.

im going to rip it out tomorrow and take a measurement then try to find a tub. ( not much in stock)

good call on the amazon warranty never thought about it.

Since its slab I'd suggest cutting in an access hole behind the drain to hook up the tub, you can also use it to check for leaks and any other repairs in the future.

Since you're width is 60" stud to stud you're good to go and like someone else said, u need to pull the drywall and anything else off the walls in front of the stud to get it in, including the toilet!

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Window is crooked as all hell 1/2”
Wall to the left has a enough bow to launch and arrow!
Don’t build them like the used to.
House is 2005

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Subscribed. dong this same thing beginning of September. The only thing I'm worried about is the tub. Slab foundation, but my saving grace is on the drain side I will have access to the tub even after it's setting via a open wall.

77charger

Reaction score
Subscribed. dong this same thing beginning of September. The only thing I'm worried about is the tub. Slab foundation, but my saving grace is on the drain side I will have access to the tub even after it's setting via a open wall.
What i was seeing done on tract homes were the tubs were being set on a mortar bed these days vs the plaster or whatever they used before.Not much of one just enough to cover and set tub on.Mix up and set it to form to the bottom of tub i guess??Maybe one with more experience will explain it i only knew the shower water proofing like a pro.LOL

Reactions: t&y

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
What i was seeing done on tract homes were the tubs were being set on a mortar bed these days vs the plaster or whatever they used before.Not much of one just enough to cover and set tub on.Mix up and set it to form to the bottom of tub i guess??Maybe one with more experience will explain it i only knew the shower water proofing like a pro.LOL

Yes, some would set the tubs on cement in the past. I did not do that on our remodel 15 years ago. Everything that I bought was from Home Depot back then because of a quick timeline. The tub did not hold up as lone and I would have liked. As stated before the Ferguson guy says that HD has a different finish then theY carry. Not sure if that is truth or BS

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I need help finding a tub. 60x32 right hand drain. I went to Home Depot to buy an acrylic but it is to flimsy at the bottom Outside edge where it meets the floor for my liking.

I was thinking bootz Maui but then I read the reviews.
Budget is under $700

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I need help finding a tub. 60x32 right hand drain. I went to Home Depot to buy an acrylic but it is to flimsy at the bottom Outside edge where it meets the floor for my liking.

I was thinking bootz Maui but then I read the reviews.
Budget is under $700

Where are you at?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well I just found this. Had to order it not in stock anywhere. $720 with tax. Supposed to be equivalent to cast iron. Won’t be here until 8/18. Tile guy was coming 8/17. So I’m fucked on that. Project just went behind a week.
3AA40914-A7E8-4B30-9F7E-342FF8A6C479.png

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Remove THE SHITER give yourself some room 3$ wax ring 😉Stick a rag in hole just in case you drop a beer in it 😎

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Where are you at?
Apple valley
Remove THE SHITER give yourself some room 3$ wax ring 😉Stick a rag in hole just in case you drop a beer in it 😎
im going to but I have a few weeks until the tub is here so I’m trying to keep this a 2 hole household for a bit longer. 3 kids 2 adults 1 shitter will be full quick!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Check HD supply. They carry the cast iron in 2 sizes. The rest are ok but no comparison. I need to go get 2 coming up but don't recall if they have the 32" wide.

Smooth Mvr

Reaction score
So I am getting ready to remodel our guest shower/tub
I will be doing the demo and setting the new tub.
Questions

Best way to demo old fiberglass shower sawzall and and grinder?

How in the hell can I hook up the drain after setting the tub?
Will I have to cut a hole in the drywall of the bedroom on the other side of the wall? What drain kit should I get?

What tub should I get?
I will be installing by myself so cast iron would be an ass kicker.
Was thinking of installing this tub if it would fit.

Don’t mind the broken seat cover lol kid broke it a few weeks ago and I figured I would deal with it when I reinstalled the toilet.
View attachment 907561 View attachment 907562
Build a new one instead of a drop in.
20190325_190620.jpg
20190411_112528.jpg

Attachments

• 20191120_200327.jpg
    20191120_200327.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 53
  • 20191126_154950.jpg
    20191126_154950.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20191210_121734.jpg
    20191210_121734.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 60

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Check HD supply. They carry the cast iron in 2 sizes. The rest are ok but no comparison. I need to go get 2 coming up but don't recall if they have the 32" wide.
I got one ordered from Home Depot. Hopefully it don’t get delivered damaged and put my time line even further off

lf2

Reaction score

Most acrylic tubs they recommend setting in a mud bed so they dont flex when you stand in it. Steel tubs have feet and now most have styrofoam on the bottom so you dont get the hollow sound. cast iron usually just feet that touch the floor (just shim the feet to level the tub). Most of the steel and acrylic either have clips that act as a ledger along the backside or they recommend a 2x4 ledger mounted to the studs running along the backside For the top to rest on.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I’m less than impressed with the finish longevity on American standard stuff. I installed a Kohler cast iron tub (16” deep, not the standard 12”) 10 years ago and it looks like new still.

77charger

Reaction score
Most acrylic tubs they recommend setting in a mud bed so they dont flex when you stand in it. Steel tubs have feet and now most have styrofoam on the bottom so you dont get the hollow sound. cast iron usually just feet that touch the floor (just shim the feet to level the tub). Most of the steel and acrylic either have clips that act as a ledger along the backside or they recommend a 2x4 ledger mounted to the studs running along the backside For the top to rest on.
See i knew someone who knows this would answer.But were liking it here in az got the lake close by been going midweek using the stand up.

Reactions: lf2