WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shut your water off before you leave your house

PlanB

Reaction score
We have always done this with our house in Havasu to avoid water damage in case of a broken pipe or some other waterline in the house. Well, we were in Havasu for 12 days and came back to a broken irrigation pipe outside our California house. 110,000 gallons of water used in that 12 day period. Must have broken day 1 when we left. More water than we usually use in an entire year. Water in both house is getting shutoff now when we leave. :mad:

Taboma

Reaction score
We have always done this with our house in Havasu to avoid water damage in case of a broken pipe or some other waterline in the house. Well, we were in Havasu for 12 days and came back to a broken irrigation pipe outside our California house. 110,000 gallons of water used in that 12 day period. Must have broken day 1 when we left. More water than we usually use in an entire year. Water in both house is getting shutoff now when we leave. :mad:

So I understand, your Plan ( Is it A or B ?) is to shut off interior and exterior watering and just let your landscaping plants die ??
I know my shit would be dead during the summer being off for 12 days.

PlanB

Reaction score
So I understand, your Plan ( Is it A or B ?) is to shut off interior and exterior watering and just let your landscaping plants die ??
I know my shit would be dead during the summer being off for 12 days.

We are pretty close to the coast, and only water once a week in the summer (California). I can soak the plants for an hour and they are fine for two weeks. In Havasu there is no way I could shut the outside water off, but I also have neighbors there that are close enough to warn me about a river running through our property. In California we are spread out on acreage.

thedan

Reaction score
If you have WiFi, look into getting a Flume on your water meter! Monitors usage.

Taboma

Reaction score
We are pretty close to the coast, and only water once a week in the summer (California). I can soak the plants for an hour and they are fine for two weeks. In Havasu there is no way I could shut the outside water off, but I also have neighbors there that are close enough to warn me about a river running through our property. In California we are spread out on acreage.

I'm several miles inland of the coast (Del Mar area), this week was mild, but a week ago and next will be hotter than hell. I can soak my grove and due to all the leaf litter it will make it a couple of weeks, but my landscaping won't. We've got a tight hood up here on the mountain, so if there's any run-off it will get noticed and I'll get a call.
Over the years I've spaced out and left the grove water on, that usually results in a good scolding from my lovely, so I've got it on a shut-off timer. I'd put the grove on a clock, but I'm constantly cleaning heads thanks to the damned earwigs.
I've got a neighbor gone for a month, so I'm keeping an eye on his place, he reciprocates, it works.
My Havasu plants are on drip, that's the one that concerns me, but I've got eyes on it, mostly highly intoxicated ones however. 😂

But that is a lot of water you lost !!!

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
I have looked into automatic shutoff valves, some monitor your use and if it changes it shuts it off and/or notify you. Others use moisture detection pucks that you place in likely leak places, like under the sink. I didn't get any farther than that.

PlanB

Reaction score
^^^ Sounds like a good idea.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I added an interior/house water shut off and irrigation remains on. I figured my luck it would be a house line or laundry room like that would break versus ran irrigation line.

Landscaping still works when the house is shut off.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Damn I flooded the bhc house a couple years back. What a nightmare and damn time is just flying damn it... crazy

PlanB

Reaction score
I added an interior/house water shut off and irrigation remains on. I figured my luck it would be a house line or laundry room like that would break versus ran irrigation line.

Landscaping still works when the house is shut off.

That's how our Havasu house is. Everything is off but irrigation.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
If you have WiFi, look into getting a Flume on your water meter! Monitors usage.
I live in Buena Park and our city just sent me an offer to register to see my water meter in real time and can configure it to send alerts. Gonna sign up for it this week reading this.

SixD9R

Reaction score
I have a well and I always shut the valve off if we leave for an overnight trip or longer. I also throw the breaker on my electric water heater.

thedan

Reaction score
M
I live in Buena Park and our city just sent me an offer to register to see my water meter in real time and can configure it to send alerts. Gonna sign up for it this week reading this.
My dogs play/fighting sheared off a garden spigot at 10am, had an alert by 10:15, and had my neighbor check it and shut off the irrigation at my home house! Very nice. I got the rebate too. Had it a while, just changed the batteries on the sensor last month!

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
You can file a damage report with water co and they might wave water fees , good luck

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
If you can see it in real time, so can they

1599095974547.png

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I would burn all your neighbors houses down since nobody noticed 9500 gallons a day running off the property or did notice it and did nothing to solve the problem.

That's almost enough water to change the tint of Lake Elsinore

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
After Thanksgiving last year and not being able to get home for 32 hours with the power outages in town, I decided to start using our stop and waste valve in the build up. We fortunately got home just in time before the pipes froze and potentially flooded the house.

It's kind of a tough decision for me because on that particular day we were only supposed to be in Redlands for a few hours for dinner and then come back home. Halfway down the mountain I knew that I was fucked when I saw a dozen charter busses coming up with no chains...

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
If it's not an irrigation head leak then the water just soaks into the ground in Havasu especially in the summer.
There won't be a flood and you won't be able to tell until you get your next water bill.
Sometimes Epcor will show up at your house since the company can tell if water is constantly running but it's usually too late.
I've refilled my pool and they show up a few days later to tell me I have high water use

PlanB

Reaction score
I would burn all your neighbors houses down since nobody noticed 9500 gallons a day running off the property or did notice it and did nothing to solve the problem.

That's almost enough water to change the tint of Lake Elsinore

We have a large gully that runs through our property. It ran into the gully and down into the natural waterway. With 3 acres of fenced property and trees / bushes, there was noway anyone could see it.

tx-19

Reaction score
Turn off your water heater breaker to

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
We turn off toilets when we leave our residence. The house at the lake gets all water turned off and water heater breaker.

my dad left for Mexico once and one of his supply lines to a toilet burst. Flooded for days. They had to pull all the drywall off the walls 3’ up and ran fans everywhere to dry everything out. Door casings replaced. All floors ripped up. All furniture thrown out. It was a nightmare.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We turn off toilets when we leave our residence. The house at the lake gets all water turned off and water heater breaker.

my dad left for Mexico once and one of his supply lines to a toilet burst. Flooded for days. They had to pull all the drywall off the walls 3’ up and ran fans everywhere to dry everything out. Door casings replaced. All floors ripped up. All furniture thrown out. It was a nightmare.
Thats what happened to the house we bought in 2013. Owners were away on vacation and were called by the neighbors a couple of days later stating there was water running off their property onto the curb. Complete interior make over through their insurance in 2011 and he contracted out most of the services to help them afford upgrades. When we got the keys we literally put our furniture down, walked out to the patio and had a beer...😁

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I had a 3/4 line break in my attic in havasu. It ran for 27 days as far as I could tell. City said it was the biggest bill they had seen at that time. Neither neighbor saw anything and that included the meter reader and the meter couldn't run much faster. Insurance claim was 62k on a house I paid 44k for.

DLC

Reaction score
@PlanB If you need help with anything thing let me know! I’m sure I could really f things up more than they already are
lol

spark2678

Reaction score
My water company notifies me right away by text of abnormal water use. I would just have a neighbor check If I received a text and shut off the water at the street

spark2678

Reaction score
I can also isolate my interior water and outdoor irrigation separately. I shutoff indoor if I am gone for more than a few days

colenighthawk

Reaction score
If you have water damage inside your house, let me know, I can help
I do water mitigation

sintax

Reaction score
I have looked into automatic shutoff valves, some monitor your use and if it changes it shuts it off and/or notify you. Others use moisture detection pucks that you place in likely leak places, like under the sink. I didn't get any farther than that.

this is what we have. We have some under the sinks and in the garage. Its all tied to the smarthome system so it'll start blowing up our phones if something gets wet (yes we tested it). At that point I just have to get a hold of one of the neighbors to shut the main off for us until we can get out there.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Had the flex line to the bathroom sink burst 3 years ago. Upstairs. Away for 3 days, came home to a waterfall where the dining room ceiling used to be.
New floors, drywall (bottom 3ft upstairs, everything down), kitchen, etc.

Took 18 months, 4 contractors, and a lawsuit to finally get it finished.

Water gets shut off now.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Well damn it, you guys have to bring this up now. I just left Havasu a few days ago and the one thing that I forgot to do is shut off the water to the house. I have been worrying about for days now and then I read this.

530RL

Reaction score
Our insurance company Chubb, paid to put on a water leak sensor and shut off device in the house. They stated it costs about 500 bucks to install and is way cheaper than a claim for a water leak.

Our monthly water usage in the summer is about 100,000 gallons a month and whether we are there or not, it is supposed to detect a leak and shut off the water to the house while leaving the water on for the landscaping?

Last edited:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
100,000 gallons? Doesn't sound like residential. I'm at 2K gallons a month, wife and I, summer time, winter is nearly half that.

Dan'l

wzuber

Reaction score
100,000 gallons? Doesn't sound like residential. I'm at 2K gallons a month, wife and I, summer time, winter is nearly half that.

Dan'l
Clearly you don't live in hersts castle as the Oracle does. He always manages to let the little people know of his eminent superiority in some manner.

Last edited:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Clearly you don't live in hersts castle as the Oracle does. He always manages to let the little people know of his eminent superiority in some manner.

Even at GVID prices, that's a $1540 water bill a month. Over double my mortgage.

Dan'l

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's how most are plumbed in Havasu or should be. We take care of a few friends houses (5) as they are not full timers and ALL of them are plumbed like this. House off outside on.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
don't forget to shut off the water heater too when you do that, if it's the water heater that fails or it's level drops you will come back to find only a chard slab instead of just a soppy carpet ;)

73mandella

Reaction score

Sorry to hear about what happened, but thanks for writing about it. I never thought about shutting off the water.

thedan

Reaction score
It gives great alerts. I turned on 3 drip circuits in the garden, and I get an alert within 5-10 minutes of high water usage, same with the sprinklers. It has monthly usage reports too. I’m happy with it. I got a rebate from my water company.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

Flume sounds great but it doesn't shut the water off - you need someone to do that

It was rated the best DIY whole-home leak detection system

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 5.17.37 PM.png

Last edited: