WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sick dog - Spleen tumor :(

rush1

Reaction score
This sucks bud I'm really sorry to hear it:(

Rickybobby

Reaction score
BigBore
I am in tears as I write this now, knowing I am right behind you. I am sorry for you loss, knowing you made the right decision will not stop the pain, thank you for being an awesome four legged kid parent. I am sure there is a reason for all of this, just wish I knew what it was???
rb

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I'm so sorry man.:cry: I've had some really fucked up shit happen in my life and the pain of losing my dog was worse than anything else. I wish there was something I could say to ease the pain. Just know that time will help. RIP

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm so sorry :cry: See you on the other side of the bridge, Kobe.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It's sad but I also feel relieved at the same time. It has been like a clock ticking in the back of my head.

He was doing real bad last night, so I scheduled the appt today when the vet opened. Of course when I came home to prepare to take him, he was acting a bit better and it made me start second guessing....

If anything, I feel like he maybe had a week or 2 left but he just started deteriorating so fast I didn't want chance it and let him go too far. Tough stuff.
The other dog (his sister) is in great shape and no signs of anything, hopefully she sticks around for a long time and she'll get extra love from the family.

On a happier note...Here's a cool pic my wife found - January 2009 puppy pics of Kobe and Sasha
Image1459920762.142771.jpg

Pics from earlier this year....
Image1459920817.769269.jpg

Pics from today...still siblings
Image1459920862.693385.jpg

outboardrick

Reaction score
So very sorry to hear this. There seems to be a lot of this going around lately and I'm still hurting from losing mine a few weeks ago. Very hard decisions to be made.
People always give condolences but only those who have gone through this truly know how hard it is. My thoughts are with you :(

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
Man this is so hard to read and our condolences can only reaffirm that a lot of us have or will be in your situation and that we are all animal lovers. I know I'm right behind you with my Boxer and unfortunately it won't be my 1st experience but on a brighter side the memories are irreplaceable. As tough as this is you and your other pup will make many more memories and that's the positive side that will get you through this.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Tough read...sorry for your pups, you and the fact they are siblings and the other dog will be looking for Kobe...wish you the best through this.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Been through it a couple times and it hurts like a Mutha Fer. Tough pill to swallow.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Well....got bad news everyone:(

Doctor did the ultra sound this morning, looks like the growth is most likely cancer, and is actually on his liver and rather large. We can't really do anything, just love him and hope he hangs in there for a while comfortably.
He was in good spirits and energetic last night and this morning, i'm gonna feed him a big at steak tonight :thumbsup

He's a great dog....this sucks. Not looking forward to what I am going to have to do at some point in future

How can they not do anything? The liver can be cut on like anything else. They are saying most likely. Still means it might not be. I'm sorry man.

He still has liver function so that means the tumor has not grown into blood vessels.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
How can they not do anything? The liver can be cut on like anything else. They are saying most likely. Still means it might not be. I'm sorry man.

He still has liver function so that means the tumor has not grown into blood vessels.

The tumor was so large and intrusive in the ultrasound scan, plus with the dog's low red blood cell count already and weight loss, that they didn't feel operating on him was a good option. they felt the chance of him dying was quite high if surgery was done, and also even if he pulled trough his quality of life would be possibly horrible and short.

I put him down yesterday , he hung in there for 2 months without deteriorating further, but the last 5 days he just dropped down to looking like a skeleton and was miserable. It was time :(

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The tumor was so large and intrusive in the ultrasound scan, plus with the dog's low red blood cell count already and weight loss, that they didn't feel operating on him was a good option. they felt the chance of him dying was quite high if surgery was done, and also even if he pulled trough his quality of life would be possibly horrible and short.

I put him down yesterday , he hung in there for 2 months without deteriorating further, but the last 5 days he just dropped down to looking like a skeleton and was miserable. It was time :(

Ahhhhhhhh man. I am so sorry. I was just looking through pics of our past pups. You will always have the memories of how kick ass he was.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

More or less how we handled it with our last one......held out til she was no longer comfortable or happy.[emoji22]

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Very sorry too hear, but like you said, it was time, and you did the right thing even though it's tough.:(

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I had to do this 3 weeks ago myself, I really hope the story of the bridge is true. We had made an appointment initially, and then came home to him on a good day, and cancelled. Ended up re-scheduling a week later. You did the right thing, like Grads said, I have had some messed up stuff in my life that should have probably hurt more and my love of this dog maybe should have been a little less, but its torn me apart more than anything else. Glad fellow inmantes make me feel less crazy for feeling the way I do.

mbrown2

Reaction score

I have to ask and it probably helps to talk about it; how is the female doing without her pal? I can only imagine she is sniffing around for him wondering when he is coming back...dog's can sense when each other are not well....give her lots of love. It is nice that you have her to remember the memories of Kobe...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have to ask and it probably helps to talk about it; how is the female doing without her pal? I can only imagine she is sniffing around for him wondering when he is coming back...dog's can sense when each other are not well....give her lots of love. It is nice that you have her to remember the memories of Kobe...

She keeps going to the door periodically when inside, and she does look around when outside, as though she cant figure out where he is. The last thing she saw was us take Kobe out the front door on a leash, so of course she thought she was going for a walk. It was heartbreaking :( But....its what you sign up for as a pet owner. Nobody thinks about it when they pick out a puppy, I know I didn't.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

This is going to be the worst part for me with mine...the time will come for him sooner rather than later unfortunately. What I am going to do is take my female with so will see him and will hopefully "know" what happened and will maybe give her some closure. This is something that I thought about a bit ago and hopefully it will help.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
She keeps going to the door periodically when inside, and she does look around when outside, as though she cant figure out where he is. The last thing she saw was us take Kobe out the front door on a leash, so of course she thought she was going for a walk. It was heartbreaking :( But....its what you sign up for as a pet owner. Nobody thinks about it when they pick out a puppy, I know I didn't.

When our first one went down the second dog was in depression for well over a week. I'd say it was a good month or more before she seemed completely normal again.:(

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I went through a similar situation with my two dogs. We ended up taking the remaining dog with us as many places as we could and took her on walks constantly...it seemed to help.

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
So sorry BB, what a gorgeous boy. You did the right thing. :(

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Just read that Merle Haggard passed away this morning. Yesterday, I put Merle Haggard on the radio and spend my final 2 hours with Kobe listening to Merle and making him BBQ'd chicken...
Crazy coincidence or something more?

RIP Merle .... and take care of my dog!

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

When my mastiff died years ago, the wolf started hopping fences looking for him, it was heart breaking, and we had friends who had a dog that lost its sister and just gave up :( It snapped me out of it and I started showing Boris as much attention as humanly possible and taking him with us wherever we could get away with it, double up on everything to get him in a new mindset, you will do fine showing the other how much you care and keep an eye on them and they will snap out of it.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Bigbore you're killing me. I seriously need someone to come over here and kick me in the ass!!! I was playing it strong all day and then I start reading this shit and now balling like a little girl..... I was trying to not to give up to soon but my lab's "quality of life" keeps coming up as a huge question mark. I wanted to give her until the weekend to respond to the medication, so far nothing, going for a third opinion tomorrow.
Please let the Rainbow Bridge with a ton of tennis balls be a real deal. :(...

ps Merle
She loves county music

Just read that Merle Haggard passed away this morning. Yesterday, I put Merle Haggard on the radio and spend my final 2 hours with Kobe listening to Merle and making him BBQ'd chicken...
Crazy coincidence or something more?

RIP Merle .... and take care of my dog!

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Very sorry Bigbore.
They truly do become part of the family, but you know it is out there... when you take the puppy home you know the day will come.
You did the right thing, followed your heart. That is all any of us can do.
We are going to have to face this some time this year, we have a 14 yr. old Shih-Tzu, he has been our pal since he was 10 weeks old. He is failing. I hope he gets to enjoy one more summer.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Bigbore you're killing me. I seriously need someone to come over here and kick me in the ass!!! I was playing it strong all day and then I start reading this shit and now balling like a little girl..... I was trying to not to give up to soon but my lab's "quality of life" keeps coming up as a huge question mark. I wanted to give her until the weekend to respond to the medication, so far nothing, going for a third opinion tomorrow.

ps Merle
She loves county music

Sorry man, hope it turns around for you guys. I always wondered how do u know when to say when, how would I know?
I can say that when I came home Monday night, I just knew it was time, no question about it. He just gave me a look I had never seen, and I realized he wanted out as bad as I wanted him to get better. I'm sad but I'm also relieved that he's out of pain. Petting my other dog and playing with her tonight really put into perspective just how bad Kobe was. Hang in there and if you do end up putting your dog down, you'll just know it's time when it is

outboardrick

Reaction score

ps Merle
She loves county music

The last picture I have of my Lab is him laying in the living room, right between the speakers, listening to music.
There is too much of this going around right now :(