WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sick dog - Spleen tumor :(

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have 2 boxer dogs from the same litter, one is a male and the other is female. They just turned 7 and have always been in great health. 2 weeks ago, I noticed the male dog "Kobe" looked like he had dropped a little weight and I also noticed he was not quite as energetic as normal. Him stomach felt a little firm as well. He was eating and drinking, and appeared to be acting fairly normal but I took him in to the vet to get it checked out. They prescribed him some antibiotics, and figured he may have a minor infection of some kind and sent us home. They felt his hard little stomach and did not suspect anything other than a "minor infection, treatable with antibiotics".

1 week later - Dog now suddenly has dropped ALOT of weight / muscle, I get alarmed so took him to a different vet. This vet takes one look at him and feels his stomach and side, and says "this dog propably has low red blood cell counts, I can tell by the color of his gums. And... if I had to guess, I would say has a mass on his spleen, which I can feel behind his ribcage here". She then shows me what she feels and clear as day, you can tell there is a "bump" there. She does blood work and she is right, his red cell count is low. This is due to the spleen growth and possible bleeding from it, causing him to be anemic.

If the growth on the spleen is benign, they can remove the spleen and he will live out the rest of his life as normal, and will recover 100%
If the grown is malignant, they still will remove the spleen and the dog will recover back to 100% for a couple months, but the cancer will spread and the average life expectancy with that cancer is only 3-4 months.

The crappy thing, is that they really cant tell if the spleen growth is cancerous or not without just opening the dog up, removing the spleen and then doing a biopsy after the fact. The good news, is that they did a chest X-ray and the dogs lungs, heart and anything else they can see are 100% clear of any cancer or growths, so that is good and means there is a decent chance it is NOT cancer (or has not spread yet if it is).

Next step is an ultrasound of the abdomen tomorrow, where they will see exactly where the growth is and what size. They said they might be able to tell if it is cancerous, if they notice there are multiple growths on different organs (especially the liver) then it is probably cancer. If it is contained to the spleen, they will then do surgery to remove the spleen - but a biopsy will reveal if that one organ growth is cancer or not. :(

Bottom line - big $$$ to spend on the dog, I love him to death but hopefully im not just barking up a tree doing all this testing and surgery just to end up putting him down in 3 months. What would you do? I feel like if I dont take each successive step as they come back 'clear", leading up to surgery, i'm giving up on my little buddy. So were gonna do it, and hopefully he just has a benign growth.

Anyone else have experience with spleen growths in large dogs? Apparently it's the #1 killer of golden retrievers, boxers, dobermans....etc from what the vet says.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Some pics.....
Black muzzle dog is Kobe

Boxer13.jpg
boxer12.jpg
Boxer11.jpg

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Awe man, sorry to hear about your pup. :( Hopefully it's just a benign growth.

I have little dogs so I haven't really heard of this before.

I think you are doing the right thing and seeing it to the next step before giving up on him :thumbsup

Best of Luck!!!

guest hs

Reaction score
I feel your pain! Last year my 2 year old black Pug acted the same way your dog did. We opted for the surgery, they removed the spleen the surgery went well they called right afterwards. 1 hour later they called back and our dog had died. They tell us they think the spleen had cancer and let out histamines and killed her. We still had to pay for the vet bill plus the cremation and no dog ugh!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I feel your pain! Last year my 2 year old black Pug acted the same way your dog did. We opted for the surgery, they removed the spleen the surgery went well they called right afterwards. 1 hour later they called back and our dog had died. They tell us they think the spleen had cancer and let out histamines and killed her. We still had to pay for the vet bill plus the cremation and no dog ugh!

Thats the kind of shit I was afraid of
Sorry about your dog

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
This thread is getting to me because I went through the exact same thing with one of my dogs.:cry::cry: Tumor on the spleen, gums were turning white, I told the doctor that money was not an issue and I wanted to do whatever it takes to save my dog as long as he thought she would make it. He advised us the same thing your doctor is telling you....if its benign they could take it out and she could live a nice long happy life....if its cancerous it "could" come back in 3-4 months. But we wouldn't know until they operate. We decided to go ahead and operate.

Probably one of my biggest regrets in life.:cry: The tumor ended up being bigger than expected so it was a pretty intense surgery. It turns out it was cancerous. I brought her home that night and to see her in that kind of pain tore me up. She was obviously in a lot of pain for 3-4 days. Gradually she got better and by about three weeks she was back to normal and looking good. Unfortunately about two weeks after that the same signs she had before starting showing up....lack of appetite, white gums, etc. and we had to put her to sleep.

Yes, I got an extra 5 weeks with her that I might not have gotten but it was not worth the pain she was in after the surgery and she had to go through the symptoms of the cancer again. I still beat myself up over my decision.

I really hope it works out for you.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
This thread is getting to me because I went through the exact same thing with one of my dogs.:cry::cry: Tumor on the spleen, gums were turning white, I told the doctor that money was not an issue and I wanted to do whatever it takes to save my dog as long as he thought she would make it. He advised us the same thing your doctor is telling you....if its benign they could take it out and she could live a nice long happy life....if its cancerous it "could" come back in 3-4 months. But we wouldn't know until they operate. We decided to go ahead and operate.

Probably one of my biggest regrets in life.:cry: The tumor ended up being bigger than expected so it was a pretty intense surgery. It turns out it was cancerous. I brought her home that night and to see her in that kind of pain tore me up. She was obviously in a lot of pain for 3-4 days. Gradually she got better and by about three weeks she was back to normal and looking good. Unfortunately about two weeks after that the same signs she had before starting showing up....lack of appetite, white gums, etc. and we had to put her to sleep.

Yes, I got an extra 5 weeks with her that I might not have gotten but it was not worth the pain she was in after the surgery and she had to go through the symptoms of the cancer again. I still beat myself up over my decision.

I really hope it works out for you.

Wow that is horrible. Sorry to hear that GRADS
For me the flip side is....what if its not? Then I watch the dog die, due to a non-cancerous spleen that I am told he can live without till old age :(

It's almost like you are forced to play god for a brief moment in time....I wouldn't want to be god if this is what its like

GRADS

Reaction score
Not trying to be doom and gloom just giving you my experience. On a bright note I have a dog that was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. We had it removed and she's still going strong!:thumbsup

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Not trying to be doom and gloom just giving you my experience. On a bright note I have a dog that was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. We had it removed and she's still going strong!:thumbsup

I appreciate the input, thats why I posted up this whole deal. Its a tough decision

GRADS

Reaction score
For me the flip side is....what if its not? Then I watch the dog die, due to a non-cancerous spleen that I am told he can live without till old age :(

It's almost like you are forced to play god for a brief moment in time....I wouldn't want to be god if this is what its like

Same exact thoughts I had, that's why I went ahead with the surgery. It's a shitty place to be in.

NdaWind

Reaction score
Sorry you and your pup have to go through this, none of us including the vet have a crystal ball to tell you the right thing to do. Make your decsion on the information you got and do what you think is right for the pup. It may be the wrong decsion but you will know you did the absoult best you could for your pup. Don't let that pup go just because of money. Might even get a another vet to take a look.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First off, Fuck Cancer.

I am so sorry to hear about Kobe :(

I'm fairly certain you've been around long enough to know what I went through with our Golden, Molly. She had a different type of cancer, histiocytic sarcoma, but it spread quickly to her spleen and a lymph node. We had pet insurance that, in the end, saved us close to $6,700. We were out of pocket only about $1,500. Truth be told though, I would have spent every last dime and even more on her if it was needed. Some people don't believe in that type of thing for a dog, and that's fine, but I'm one of the ones that does. In my opinion, they give us 100% of themselves and love us unconditionally - it's the least I can do to take care of them the best I can. She was diagnosed on August 11, 2014 and we lost her just 88 days later. :(

I'm really sorry that you are having to go through this. Prayers that it isn't cancerous.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I don't have experience with the exact condition your dog has, but I had to make a decision about finances with mine a few years ago. I certainly was pretty tied up financially, not much in the bank account, let alone savings. My Boris has "flipped his stomach" just like in that Marley and Me movie, and he is older, and there were no guarantees that it wouldn't just happen again. Anyway, I spent 5k I didn't have to give him a shot, because I couldn't live with the regret of thinking it might have worked out if I was willing to invest in him. Well, that was 5 years ago and he never had a problem with that again, and he paid me back 100 fold for the financial sacrifice at the time. I will be having to put him down now though in a few weeks and its tearing me up, but the price on the time I got extended is priceless. Even if I would have gotten a couple of weeks, I would rather have spent the money, had it not work out, than to doubt myself every day for years to come. Dunno if it helps, but just my experience. Terribly sorry for you and your pooch.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
First off, Fuck Cancer.

I am so sorry to hear about Kobe :(

I'm fairly certain you've been around long enough to know what I went through with our Golden, Molly. She had a different type of cancer, histiocytic sarcoma, but it spread quickly to her spleen and a lymph node. We had pet insurance that, in the end, saved us close to $6,700. We were out of pocket only about $1,500. Truth be told though, I would have spent every last dime and even more on her if it was needed. Some people don't believe in that type of thing for a dog, and that's fine, but I'm one of the ones that does. In my opinion, they give us 100% of themselves and love us unconditionally - it's the least I can do to take care of them the best I can. She was diagnosed on August 11, 2014 and we lost her just 88 days later. :(

I'm really sorry that you are having to go through this. Prayers that it isn't cancerous.

Sorry about your dog, I did read that post a while back :(

I wonder if I can sign him up for pet insurance? Im looking at about $3000.00 right now, if we do surgery. I believe it's $100 a month with a $250 deductable

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Damn. :skull

Sorry you are put in this situation.

Nice you went for a second opinion.

ZERO medical advice, but I know you love your pup and are doing the right thing with the ultrasound and any additional test run. You are thinking and acting for Kobe.

Positive thoughts for the best, cancer-free outcome!

Joe

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry about your dog, I did read that post a while back :(

I wonder if I can sign him up for pet insurance? Im looking at about $3000.00 right now, if we do surgery. I believe it's $100 a month with a $250 deductable

You can try, but my insurance (PetPlan USA), and I'm pretty sure all the others as well, requests the dog's records from the vet and won't cover pre-existing conditions. In other words, a medical condition that occurred prior to the effective date of your policy won't be covered. :(

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Awwwwwwww....poor baby...I hope he the outcome is good. So difficult to see our furry friends not feeling well.
When the vet told me my baby had pancreatic cancer and had 3-4 weeks to live, I cried. He wasn't eating and was listless. I started feeding him cat food and sushi rice and his appetite fully returned but, this was the only thing he would eat. He lived, actually quite well, for an additional year.

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
So very sorry to hear about your boxer. I'm in the middle of trying to do the right thing by controlling the pain in my 10 year old boxer. He's got sever arthritis in his hips and because of his age were trying to control it with opioids. When we can no longer control the pain we will have to make the decision (play God) on surgery and I'm dreading the whole thing! All I know is my dogs are a huge part of our lives and we will try and make the right decision.
Good luck and I'm sure you'll make the right decision it just SUCKS!!!! Part of being a dog owner is being responsible and making the best decision possible and only you know what's best!

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I have 2 boxer dogs from the same litter, one is a male and the other is female. They just turned 7 and have always been in great health. 2 weeks ago, I noticed the male dog "Kobe" looked like he had dropped a little weight and I also noticed he was not quite as energetic as normal. Him stomach felt a little firm as well. He was eating and drinking, and appeared to be acting fairly normal but I took him in to the vet to get it checked out. They prescribed him some antibiotics, and figured he may have a minor infection of some kind and sent us home. They felt his hard little stomach and did not suspect anything other than a "minor infection, treatable with antibiotics".

1 week later - Dog now suddenly has dropped ALOT of weight / muscle, I get alarmed so took him to a different vet. This vet takes one look at him and feels his stomach and side, and says "this dog propably has low red blood cell counts, I can tell by the color of his gums. And... if I had to guess, I would say has a mass on his spleen, which I can feel behind his ribcage here". She then shows me what she feels and clear as day, you can tell there is a "bump" there. She does blood work and she is right, his red cell count is low. This is due to the spleen growth and possible bleeding from it, causing him to be anemic.

If the growth on the spleen is benign, they can remove the spleen and he will live out the rest of his life as normal, and will recover 100%
If the grown is malignant, they still will remove the spleen and the dog will recover back to 100% for a couple months, but the cancer will spread and the average life expectancy with that cancer is only 3-4 months.

The crappy thing, is that they really cant tell if the spleen growth is cancerous or not without just opening the dog up, removing the spleen and then doing a biopsy after the fact. The good news, is that they did a chest X-ray and the dogs lungs, heart and anything else they can see are 100% clear of any cancer or growths, so that is good and means there is a decent chance it is NOT cancer (or has not spread yet if it is).

Next step is an ultrasound of the abdomen tomorrow, where they will see exactly where the growth is and what size. They said they might be able to tell if it is cancerous, if they notice there are multiple growths on different organs (especially the liver) then it is probably cancer. If it is contained to the spleen, they will then do surgery to remove the spleen - but a biopsy will reveal if that one organ growth is cancer or not. :(

Bottom line - big $$$ to spend on the dog, I love him to death but hopefully im not just barking up a tree doing all this testing and surgery just to end up putting him down in 3 months. What would you do? I feel like if I dont take each successive step as they come back 'clear", leading up to surgery, i'm giving up on my little buddy. So were gonna do it, and hopefully he just has a benign growth.

Anyone else have experience with spleen growths in large dogs? Apparently it's the #1 killer of golden retrievers, boxers, dobermans....etc from what the vet says.

This realty hits home with me as I have two boxers as well, one is 6 and the other 5. I found this site a few years back and have had my dogs on the preventative maintenance on this for the last few years. Ready on this I know that she will take calls and discuss cases with you. Good luck.

http://veraboxers.com/cancer.htm

spectracular

Reaction score
Going through a very similar situation with my pup Mojo. It is an adrenal gland tumor. We have already done the ultrasound as well as about six other tests.

It totally sucks.

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your pup. I have been through a similar situation with a dog we had years ago. Doc said it was a tumor, it could be cancer or not, they wouldn't know until they went in. We decided to go ahead and take the chance. He was 6 at the time. The surgery was rough on him, and it did turn out to be cancerous. BUT even with that he lived to be 11 years old (don't ask me how). It was the best money I ever spent. He is still one of our all time favorite dogs. It really is the only chance a human ever gets to try and pay back all the love our dogs give us! I have several stories of spending a lot $$$ to fix this or that problem with one of the pups we have had. On the other hand I do not have one story were I regretted spending the money.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Yes.

Wife is a mobile groomer. My other hobby /family business is pet care.

We see lots of cancer in large dogs in the form of tumors felt when grooming.

hardest advice to follow is to go for a while, and monitor it spending a reasonable amount of money everyone decides on right now. - at some point not to far off if it gets bad put the dog down before you are 7K in a dog -you will ultimately put down anyway. Know the industry knows you are attached - and will go out of their way to take your money.

Then go rescue another than needs his love and home. Your dog would have wanted others to have that good a home with caring people.

Sucks man- been there numerous times in my life.

UD

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
Bigbore - Kobe is such a cutie! I'm so sorry to read this. As many others have posted, cancer seems to sweep through dogs really quickly. My American Bulldog was finally diagnosed in October of 2015 with lymphoma. The nail to the diagnosis was the ultrasound. The vets gave him 3 months. We said goodbye to him just before Thanksgiving. He was just wasting away, my 100lbs of love turned into a skeleton. He wasn't sleeping on anything but the cold tile, he was panting a lot and due to his lymph-nodes swelling he could barely drink water. On the other hand, boxer have lots of lumps and bumps. My white boxer lived to be 14, and Shamrock turns 10 this year. I just love the breed, but cancer is big with them. Either way, I have zero doubt that Kobe will have lived and will live the best life. Holding positive thoughts for you all. :)

Chopperman

Reaction score
I used to laugh at my friends that spent thousands on sick dogs, but now that I've got my own little pooch I'd spend whatever it took to make him well again if anything ever happened to him. Sorry to hear about this, I hope he is ok. I'm sure it's tough having a sick pooch. You are doing the right thing!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this and I hope it isn't cancer that has spread.

We just went thru this and put our pup down. It was a quality of life issue as far as we were concerned. She had a very short time to live as hers was a stage 4. When she started losing control of bodily functions it was time.

My stomach hurts as I am writing this :( Bailey was the sweetest most loving American Bulldog mix you could imagine. Just didn't seem fair at all....

Make the decision on quality of life for the pup.....

Tough to go thru and good luck

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Thanks for everyones thoughts. We will see what the ultrasound shows tomorrow morning. He has lost some weight and muscle / size, but the doctors say that happens with the spleen issue either way. If it is non-cancerous he should return to normal once it is removed.

I'm just crossing my fingers that the ultrasound looks as though the growth is contained to the spleen, if so then its a 50/50 shot as to what the biopsy says once its removed. If the ultrasound shows other growths on the liver, stomach....etc, you can pretty much know its cancer and has already spread to surrounding organs.

Hoping for the best

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dog. Went through this about three years ago with our dog she was a mix of pointer/German shorthair pointer, at 12 or 13 years old ( not sure of the age as we rescued them from the pound ) they discovered a lump/mass on her spleen, they did the ultrasound and saw the lump and recommended surgery they also cautioned us that if it is cancer and had spread that they would put her down on the operating table, because of this I delayed the surgery a few days so I can spend time with her, lucky for us it was contained within the spleen , this is in summer when all of this happened, she went on chemotherapy and she had two doses of chemotherapy, IV fluids, blood transfusions etc, she lived another eight months before she died in her sleep at home with the other dogs next to her. Up until the last week during those eight months she was doing fairly well and very active, the last week was very difficult for her and she went downhill very fast. Her brother passed away about 18 months later from old-age.
This is not an easy road financially or emotionally for you. I wish you and your dog the best of luck.

SoCalHD

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dog. We went through the same thing with our 6 year old(at the time) APBT. The bad thing in our situation was that the mass had already torn the spleen slightly, so Roxy had free blood in her abdomen. The good thing was the softball sized tumor turned out benign, and that ordeal was almost 4 years ago now. She turns 10 the first of May, and to this day either at the river, or the desert-she still runs circles around our 6 year old male dog. He is always crashed out, and she is still going strong running everywhere, and exploring everything. It was a terrible decision to have to make at the time, but at least you now have an example of a positive outcome:)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dog. We went through the same thing with our 6 year old(at the time) APBT. The bad thing in our situation was that the mass had already torn the spleen slightly, so Roxy had free blood in her abdomen. The good thing was the softball sized tumor turned out benign, and that ordeal was almost 4 years ago now. She turns 10 the first of May, and to this day either at the river, or the desert-she still runs circles around our 6 year old male dog. He is always crashed out, and she is still going strong running everywhere, and exploring everything. It was a terrible decision to have to make at the time, but at least you now have an example of a positive outcome:)

Man this is what I'm hoping for!
I know it's a crapshoot...but we're hoping for an outcome like yours.

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score
We just went through this same thing however it was intestinal cancer. 10yr old Boston we have had since 8 weeks old.

My cousin is our vet and told me they can remove the tumor portion but if its cancerous it can come back. I went ahead and had the surgery done without hesitation. Definitely tough to see them go through the trama and days of pain but they bounce back fast.

He recovered quickly and was 110% for just over 8 months. The same symptoms slowly returned and after an ultrasound the cancer had come back. Even with the family hook up we were in well over $3k.

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Gave him another 8 months of good life and the extra time together will be a lifetime memory for our family. Still miss him tremendously.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Well....got bad news everyone:(

Doctor did the ultra sound this morning, looks like the growth is most likely cancer, and is actually on his liver and rather large. We can't really do anything, just love him and hope he hangs in there for a while comfortably.
He was in good spirits and energetic last night and this morning, i'm gonna feed him a big at steak tonight :thumbsup

He's a great dog....this sucks. Not looking forward to what I am going to have to do at some point in future

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. :( Spoil the crap out of him and please give him an extra cookie from me.

I'm so sad for you :( :(

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this, I wish you well. Spoil him rotten from here on out and focus on the joy Kobe brings you.

Mrs.HLB

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear the news. Spend as much time with him and love him. You did your best!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Guess who just got his own PBJ sandwich [emoji3]

3cc3bea7b645351d2eb7094de7614077.jpg

And a trip to the groomers...don't want the other dog getting a complex so it's a double whammy

ab80deeb2294bab87b98ce79b9e594f8.jpg

GRADS

Reaction score
I posted in this thread originally but have avoided it since because it tears me up. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.:cry: Just remember quality over quantity. In fact I remember someone on here saying better to let them go a day early than one day too late.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
So sorry to read this, Do you think this could have nothing to do with Porter Ranch Gas leak?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Kobe crossed the rainbow bridge tonight at 8pm. He was losing weight quick over the last 5 days and started refusing his food. I just put him down :(

I bbq'd him a chicken dinner, turned on some some music and drank some beers with him in the sunny back yard for a couple hours before the trip to the vet.

He is gonna be missed, but he is in a better place

Image1459913203.100375.jpg

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Kobe crossed the rainbow bridge tonight at 8pm. He was losing weight quick over the last 5 days and started refusing his food. I just put him down :(

I bbq'd him a chicken dinner, turned on some some music and drank some beers with him in the sunny back yard for a couple hours before the trip to the vet.

View attachment 476010
Shit...sorry to hear this man...rip Kobe.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score

View attachment 476010
Ugh, sucks brother. RIP Kobe.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Damn, sorry to hear. Rest easy Kobe [emoji20]