• Yes it helps

• No It doesn't

• RD SUX!

• I live in CA run by homo's

Results are only viewable after voting.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
If a bad guy is determined to suddenly do bad stuff, seems to me his first target is the open carry individual?
Maybe in the Jesse James era, or a planned event such as a bank robbery.
But in todays urban environment it’s more likely (exclusively?) desperate tweekers bum rushing a scenario with little or no identification of immediate subjects.
In short, the morons will rush an establishment with zero knowledge of who is inside.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I have one of those dismantled grenade thingys.
Got it at the zombie store in Vegas a few years ago.
I had a couple as a kid.
I THINK they were dummies?
But dad always said “don't pull the pin unless you mean it…”
So who knows? Dont know where they went.

Dog

Reaction score
I had a couple as a kid.
I THINK they were dummies?
But dad always said “don't pull the pin unless you mean it…”
So who knows? Dont know where they went.
That is the thing kids now would think they were real and try to use them for evil not knowing if it would work or not.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I've met some people over the years, seen some stuff they had...and just figured it was best not to ask.
Put it in the mental Rol-A-Dex and save it for later.
Lol yep!
Dad was career AF combat control.
People ask me “what’s that?”
Well, you know in the movies when the seals or rangers deploy into some hostile mission and they land or come ashore and they whistle and some guy pops his head up out of the bushes and is their contact?
Well, that’s the combat controller.
He’s been there a week or more, alone, scouting and observing and eating grubs and killing anyone that got within 10 yards of his little ditch while setting up his LZ.
Curiously, dad was basically that same way at home…lol!

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I plead the fifth.
It’s Fif!
8E912744-F200-4A10-B4D9-825097E1FEAC.gif

Hoodoo

Reaction score
Strange enough, bad guys do bad stuff all the time and ive never heard of them doing it to an open carry

Usually bad guys do bad stuff when there is no chance of repercussion.

Exactly and to think otherwise is overthinking IMO. I don’t open carry but would think a potential perp would move on and seek an easier situation. A lot of open carry isn’t that obvious.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Exactly and to think otherwise is overthinking IMO. I don’t open carry but would think a potential perp would move on and seek an easier situation. A lot of open carry isn’t that obvious.
When I first moved here, open carry stood out to me. I was born and raised in SoCal. Open carry was for Police Officers in uniform. From my view, concealed carry was mostly people that were the "prohibited possessor" types.

After 10 years here, I hardly notice who has one on their hip, or who is "printing"...at first it was something I took notice of. Now, it's more like who wears a ball cap or who doesn't. Not something I usually take notice of. We are also an area that local LE does not require a CCW to carry concealed. Local LE know between 50-80% are armed. There are rarely problems.

We did lose one officer this past year. He was a nice fellow, 2 daughters and a wife were left behind. The bastard who shot him was a felon, a drug addict and in his 50's. Laws didn't work. Somehow, the LE in the area showed tremendous restraint. The killer is awaiting trial.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Ah, to carry or not to carry.

Thanksgiving visiting my bro in Utah, he's an Orem City firefighter. We're going shooting next day at a range we visit frequently. He tells us of a call he went on there a few weeks back of a guy that shot his pecker off drawing from a holster at the range. 20 something guy trying to practice getting the drop on a target and gun goes off on the draw and shoots a hole in his pecker. So of course firefighters respond to the call with a female paramedic just to make sure he feels adequately embarrassed. Not truly their intention but she did go and I imagine he was embarrassed and/or didn't care at that point, "just save my junk!" Oof!
Start calling him Rainbird.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I don't think it detours crime but it could impact the severity of the outcome.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

Thanksgiving visiting my bro in Utah, he's an Orem City firefighter. We're going shooting next day at a range we visit frequently. He tells us of a call he went on there a few weeks back of a guy that shot his pecker off drawing from a holster at the range. 20 something guy trying to practice getting the drop on a target and gun goes off on the draw and shoots a hole in his pecker. So of course firefighters respond to the call with a female paramedic just to make sure he feels adequately embarrassed. Not truly their intention but she did go and I imagine he was embarrassed and/or didn't care at that point, "just save my junk!" Oof!

If your dumb enough to shoot your pecker off. You shouldn’t be carrying. Appendix carry is the way to go imho

Groper

Reaction score
On the flip side….

We had a visitor staying with us one weekend in Havasu. This close relative
Is a very proud gun carry and very happy to tell everyone that they trained, passed this shit, that test and are very qualified….great we thought. Turns out, on top of all the good times we had during the day she would kill a jug of vodka in her room by herself. Later that night she decides in her drunken stupor to start an argument with my wife. Hurling crazing insults and crazy shit. She drove out with my wife and didn’t have a car, stayed with us. Next morning she is shit faced and had to drive back to OC with my wife. Knowing she had a gun in her purse and her crazy state of mind made us wish she wasn’t armed….to say the least.
By chance would you have any photos/description or more to add regarding "This close relative" I have a friend in his 50's looking to hook up with someone similar to what you have going on here, he's also in OC. 😁

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
In California you’re the criminal for carrying, even if it’s defensive.

I knew a guy from Montana, it’s an open carry state like the old west. I think that’s a crime deterrent.

Concealed carry might make you feel better, but I’d rather broadcast that I’m not to be fucked with and go find a liberal instead and ruin their day.
You lose any element of surprise with open carry and it could attract unwanted attention from bad guys - Over the years I have seen a number of licensed security guards get robbed for their guns. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
You lose any element of surprise with open carry and it could attract unwanted attention from bad guys - Over the years I have seen a number of licensed security guards get robbed for their guns. Just something to think about.
Just a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing these weren't high end security contractors?

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
If we encouraged more people to carry and the majority did carry I will wager that we would have a much safer society. Especially after all the bullets stop flying and the thugs and assholes are all judged and sentenced at the scene of their crimes by a jury of their peers.
Won't need as many lawyers or prisons either.

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
If your dumb enough to shoot your pecker off. You shouldn’t be carrying. Appendix carry is the way to go imho
I think proper holster helps and some training to keep from negligent discharge

As for appendix carry not comfy when I’m sitting. And that’s with a Glock 43. 4 oclock does well for me though all around.

530RL

Reaction score
I suspect most in here either carry on their persons or in their vehicle. And people should be free to do so.

With respect to whether places are safer if everyone openly has a firearm, I have no idea if it would or would not. However it is interesting to read the history about how our forefathers thought about it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I think proper holster helps and some training to keep from negligent discharge

As for appendix carry not comfy when I’m sitting. And that’s with a Glock 43. 4 oclock does well for me though all around.
It’s not comfortable, but it hides well and is a quicker draw. G code holster is plenty secure.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The knock on appendix carry from naysayers, especially a striker fired gun or a 1911, is “I don’t want to shoot my dick off” and I can’t believe it’s actually happened

The knock on appendix carry from naysayers, especially a striker fired gun or a 1911, is “I don’t want to shoot my dick off” and I can’t believe it’s actually happened 😂

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Just a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing these weren't high end security contractors?
No they were not. The real question is; How many folks that open carry have the tools to fend off a robbery attempt? Why put yourself in that position in the first place?