Fox X2 2.0 SE.
On a Yamaha 1000 SS
20210119_154553.jpg

--VS--

The Fox Dynamix Active Suspension.
On a Rzr turbo S.
Dynamix-6.jpg

Talking Suspension only;
Big difference, no difference, worlds apart, etc?

Please advise.
Thank you

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Please schoo me on:

Fox X2 2.0 SE.
On a Yamaha 1000 SS
View attachment 963732

--VS--

The Fox Dynamix Active Suspension.
On a Rzr turbo S.
View attachment 963737

Talking Suspension only;
Big difference, no difference, worlds apart, etc?

Please advise.
Thank you

Define what you mean by “better”. You can set the car up very well with the manual clickers, then when the terrain changes, it may not be optimal any longer.

I would call it a nice to have, today. In 5 years the difference will probably be dramatic when these systems advance further.

At a high level, the Live Valve will be a more versatile system with active damping and in car adjustments on top of the active damping control.

The Can Am system is another level of advancement over Polaris because it monitors shaft speed for better damping response and control.

Reactions: DWC

floatn turd

Reaction score
Well,
I don't have a side by side, but I'm looking into one.

I have been in a Rzr with the Dynamic business and was pretty impressed.
&
I have been in a Yamaha with a Shock Therapy Gold set up and it.....wasn't bad.
But
It wasn't as good as the Dynamic either.

So, I just wanted a layman's opinion.
Since I don't own and an just gathering info.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
no dog in the fight as I dont have a SXS, but my .02 is if you need that "control box" to run your suspension. while it may be plush, what happens if it dies?

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
The X2 on the Yamaha are good. Weller in Phoenix for any valving or spring changes, they have YXZ's dialed in.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well,
I don't have a side by side, but I'm looking into one.

I have been in a Rzr with the Dynamic business and was pretty impressed.
&
I have been in a Yamaha with a Shock Therapy Gold set up and it.....wasn't bad.
But
It wasn't as good as the Dynamic either.

So, I just wanted a layman's opinion.
Since I don't own and an just gathering info.

In layman’s terms.. the manually adjusted shocks need to be adjusted, and done so correctly.

Personal opinion - you can get a manually adjusted shock that has been resprung and revalved properly to ride better than a stock Live Valve or Smart Shox.

A Yamaha is not going to run with a RZR Turbo S in the rough.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
no dog in the fight as I dont have a SXS, but my .02 is if you need that "control box" to run your suspension. while it may be plush, what happens if it dies?

If the box fails, it is supposed to revert to the stiffest setting.

Taboma

Reaction score
I always find it amazing, you spend close to $ 30K on a SXS, the immediately need your shocks re-valved because shop XYZ really has them dialed in.
I know these companies, spend bucket loads of $$ with various skilled drivers and company suspension gurus romping them in varied terrain. So what does shop XYZ know, they don't know ? Besides how to get into your wallet, by making claims. 🥴
I realize there's production $$ restraints, so the best components are not in these cars, but in many cases, we're not talking $ 15K worth of mega-shocks, we're talking a simple re-valve.
Will be interesting to see how just dialed in RG's new cars are, at least in theory, they shouldn't need anything.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Yup, nobody dials in their valving/springs on brand new dirt bikes either lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I always find it amazing, you spend close to $ 30K on a SXS, the immediately need your shocks re-valved because shop XYZ really has them dialed in.
I know these companies, spend bucket loads of $$ with various skilled drivers and company suspension gurus romping them in varied terrain. So what does shop XYZ know, they don't know ? Besides how to get into your wallet, by making claims. 🥴
I realize there's production $$ restraints, so the best components are not in these cars, but in many cases, we're not talking $ 15K worth of mega-shocks, we're talking a simple re-valve.
Will be interesting to see how just dialed in RG's new cars are, at least in theory, they shouldn't need anything.

These cars have to be set up for the worst possible situation, and the components were farmed out to the lowest bidder.

It’s actually the springs that are really bad on all these cars, not so much the damping. The springs sag, and don’t maintain a consistent rate and give a poor ride. Usually just the spring change alone yields dramatic improvement.

I too am hoping Speed took a different approach.. it will be another $2k that does not need to be spent. It’s promising that the suspension was dialed in right where many of us use our cars.

PlanB

Reaction score

Shock Therapy has a good video about this. The factory puts on springs to get these cars to pass the government rollover test. They do this by using two springs instead of one, and while it works to pass the government test, these springs do not actually work that well in actual off road conditions. The internal valving is also completely different than stock. From the placement of the bypass valves to the amount of bypasses they put in them depending on the specific car you bring them, and the type of terrain you use it in. You have to spend $$$ to get the car dialed to your specific needs.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Unfortunately you are kind of comparing apples and oranges with the different geometry designs of the two cars. Shock therapy has a video explaining the geometry shortfalls of the YXZ design. No amount of valving/tuning can fix bad geometry.

satellitemike

Reaction score
If suspension is what you are after you might want to look into the Kawasaki KRX, I hear nothing but good things! No real need to upgrade.

Taboma

Reaction score
Shock Therapy has a good video about this. The factory puts on springs to get these cars to pass the government rollover test. They do this by using two springs instead of one, and while it works to pass the government test, these springs do not actually work that well in actual off road conditions. The internal valving is also completely different than stock. From the placement of the bypass valves to the amount of bypasses they put in them depending on the specific car you bring them, and the type of terrain you use it in. You have to spend $$$ to get the car dialed to your specific needs.

Although our memories of our latest Polaris offering are best forgotten, I do recall that the Shock Therapy treatment included a spring change along with the re-valving. The difference was certainly an improvement, but frustrating as you continue to toss out $$. I wouldn't call them being dialed in to our specific needs, not like if were were only running the dunes as one example.
We ride in greatly varied terrain, plus we're not racing or running at high speed across any whoops. Our goal was a more comfortable general purpose ride, which was achieved. We roll to explore, enjoy the country, have a few thrills and most of all, get home safely. There's no "Hold my Beer" shit going on, we're in no hurry.
Still our goal today and I'm most pleased with our Wildcat XX ride and handling for OUR needs. Robby suggested that a neutral (Mid) shock setting would best suit our needs and it has.

Just seems like, if it floats or runs in the dirt, there's no end to the $$$ you can keep tossing at it, because there's always another "Expert" standing in line to take your money.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
No idea how anyone survived when all we had was Rhinos with 10” of travel. Now 20” needs a major rework before the first ride lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
No idea how anyone survived when all we had was Rhinos with 10” of travel. Now 20” needs a major rework before the first ride lol

A typical lightly modded Rhino only went 40 MPH off road, maybe. People put $15k into a $10k Rhino to do 45 MPH off road.

A $15k stock RZR will do 60 MPH and carry 4 people while doing it. It will get over whoops that would eject all the passengers in a Rhino.

More speed = the need for better suspension.

PlanB

Reaction score
We aren’t at double the speed but we have double the suspension.

My new X3 ran 91 mph straight out of the box. There are guys with mods running well over 100 mph.

• Wow

CLdrinker

Reaction score
A typical lightly modded Rhino only went 40 MPH off road, maybe. People put $15k into a $10k Rhino to do 45 MPH off road.

A $15k stock RZR will do 60 MPH and carry 4 people while doing it. It will get over whoops that would eject all the passengers in a Rhino.

More speed = the need for better suspension.
So like you said a stock RZR will get over whoops that would eject passengers in. Rhino.

Yet everyone still has fun in Rhino’s back in the day. Yet now everyone thinks stock suspension is garbage and it needs to be redone.

Just shows how quick we are to be unsatisfied with what we have. Yet just a few years ago this level of performance was unheard of.

SxS went from fun cruisers for minimal money to huge money pits quick.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So like you said a stock RZR will get over whoops that would eject passengers in. Rhino.

Yet everyone still has fun in Rhino’s back in the day. Yet now everyone thinks stock suspension is garbage and it needs to be redone.

Just shows how quick we are to be unsatisfied with what we have. Yet just a few years ago this level of performance was unheard of.

That is the same with everything. Everyone still has fun in Rhinos today until they get passed by a newer SxS

If you want a fun cruiser for minimal money, a stock SXS is still that. Buy a stock one and run it. It will run better any Rhino on earth for less real dollars spent.

20 years ago a 500 HP car was fast, A 25’ boat was large, a 40’ garage was huge, and a 50” flat screen TV was a big deal.

The phone in your hand today has more computing power than a top of the line computer did 2 decades ago. It is a constant progression.

Last edited:

Ladsm

Reaction score

Thats why I still own my Rzr 900 Jagged X. HP/Weight ratio is still decent, Walker Evans shocks are still relevant. Nothing out there yet worth getting a new payment.