WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Side Mount To Top Mount Whipple?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I have a 516 that has the small side mount whipple and i was wondering what it would take to convert it to a top mount. Does anyone know how complicated this process is?

Should i make it a 540 while i am in there and then add a 3 or 4 liter super charger?

Trying to figure out options for projects in the off season but would like some member feedback on this if anyone has some input.

Not sure how much hp that would put out but I have an XR drive on the boat now, I assume that would need an upgrade as well?

What say ye members?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I don’t see a reason to go from existing to a 540” if your short block is gtg. If anything going from the small side mount to a 3.3 or 4.0L at same boat you should just see a lot more efficiency, and ability to bump more boost out of the combination.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I don’t see a reason to go from existing to a 540” if your short block is gtg. If anything going from the small side mount to a 3.3 or 4.0L at same boat you should just see a lot more efficiency, and ability to bump more boost out of the combination.
Yep that is what I am shooting for. I guess I am more asking how labor and or $$ intensive this would be to complete. Whole new kit or just the blower and manifold?

Etc.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Yep that is what I am shooting for. I guess I am more asking how labor and or $$ intensive this would be to complete. Whole new kit or just the blower and manifold?
Call around, there are plenty of reputable builders out there. They will be more likely to give a better idea on cost.
The shop that has options vs the shop that says “the only way” well options are an always, the only ones with “the only way” are just trying to gauge the depth of your wallet.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score

Call around, there are plenty of reputable builders out there. They will be more likely to give a better idea on cost.
The shop that has options vs the shop that says “the only way” well options are an always, the only ones with “the only way” are just trying to gauge the depth of your wallet.
Called one shop and they quoted me 20k.