WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Silicon Valley Bank - Shutdown!

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
It's crazy that they just changed the waterfall like that. I would be suing too.

It's like looking into the FDIC crystal ball when all hell breaks loose.

I hope the money changers and politicians have good bunkers for their sake. I suspect quite a few will be swallowing bullets.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

We analyze U.S. banks’ asset exposure to a recent rise in the interest rates with implications for financial stability. The U.S. banking system’s market value of assets is $2 trillion lower than suggested by their book value of assets accounting for loan portfolios held to maturity. Marked-to-market bank assets have declined by an average of 10% across all the banks, with the bottom 5th percentile experiencing a decline of 20%.

aZ3Q90n_460s.jpg

Since the asset portfolios of many banks have considerable exposure to commercial real estate, I believe these assets will be further written-down as the commercial RE market tries to figure out what to do post-COVID, post-WorkFromHome.

We’re nowhere near the final inning of this balllgame…

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score

Personally I think the game is just really getting going. We are much closer to the start than the end. Think about it, with the oddities and manipulation in the economy setting a stage, this bank think is the first real inning of play.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Since the asset portfolios of many banks have considerable exposure to commercial real estate, I believe these assets will be further written-down as the commercial RE market tries to figure out what to do post-COVID, post-WorkFromHome.

I think much commercial will end up getting converted to high density housing.

It’s the perfect WEF play. Rent a 400 sq ft domicile with a place to hang your bike and a community bathroom on every floor. The building owners will end up making more money. It’s going to take awhile to get there though.

530RL

Reaction score
It's crazy that they just changed the waterfall like that. I would be suing too.
It is interesting as the prospectus specifically stated that the AT1 bonds were subordinated to equity and that Swiss regulators would have no obligation to value them at anything other than zero in the event of a required contribution of capital by the regulators.

They were in contractual language a subordinated class of equity, yet labeled a "bond".

It will be an interesting case where one side argues the language of the contract in which they entered into is not applicable because they had the noun "bond" in their label while the other side argues that AT1 priority in the capital structure was clear as the light of day in the prospectus.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

It's not just the work from home issue. Capital needed to be deployed post housing crisis. Underwriting guidelines on commercial debt was incredibly loose to ensure money could be put to work. The amount of commercial debt rated as junk is astounding. There is a whole level of pain there that is just waiting once The economy gets tougher.

wzuber

Reaction score
It's like looking into the FDIC crystal ball when all hell breaks loose.

I hope the money changers and politicians have good bunkers for their sake. I suspect quite a few will be swallowing bullets.
Well deserved and earned booolitz to be precise. Fuck them. Let the fire roar...

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score

Alright, the dam has broken!!!!! 😝

Walmart Layoffs At Fulfillment Centers Signals Ominous Sign For Economy

teaser image
"We recently adjusted staffing levels to better prepare for the future..."

THU MAR 23, AT 11:30 AM

Disney Begins 7000 Job Cuts After String Of Theatrical Failures

teaser image
Disney has made little mention of the role their "diversity and inclusion" methodology might have played in plummeting audience numbers...

THU MAR 23, AT 10:40 AM

Medical, Financial, Political, & War Disasters Getting Worse: Dr. Chris Martenson

teaser image
“People need to be ready for a vast punishing return of inflation... and a decade of shortages on everything because of years of price suppression.”

THU MAR 23, AT 11:00 AM

Good Fellas laugh .gif

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score

It’s the perfect WEF play. Rent a 400 sq ft domicile with a place to hang your bike and a community bathroom on every floor. The building owners will end up making more money. It’s going to take awhile to get there though.
You dont know what you are talking about……

LOL. I have been saying that about the empty buildings now in Honolulu. Now look at this…..

lbhsbz

Reaction score

LOL. I have been saying that about the empty buildings now in Honolulu. Now look at this…..
Why people would want to share walls with their neighbors….I’ll never know.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

I lived in a converted building one year of college…it kinda sucked but it was affordable…had surfboard storage, parking etc. this is going to happen a lot in Hawaii.

I’m going to interview for a RE firm there now that my non compete is up…the conversion market will be a gold mine if managed right. I do not want to move back but would 100% do a hybrid role which I pitched them…

DWC

Reaction score

Our office in Orange has 4 floors. Parking was impossible pre-Vid. Couple call centers, mortgage broker, debt consolidation, FBI and OC health services. Our space is 50% at best. Health services and FBI seems to be mostly normal. Haven’t seen anyone in the other offices for a couple years. They’ll have to repurpose or tear down at some point.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

First Citizens to buy most of SVB​

By Jessica Hartogs, Editor at LinkedIn News
Updated 3 hours ago

First Citizens Bancshares is acquiring much of Silicon Valley Bank, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation announced late Sunday. The collapse of SVB a little more than two weeks ago was the U.S.'s largest bank failure since the fall of Lehman Brothers in 2008 and caused widespread panic across the financial sector. SVB's 17 branches will open Monday as First Citizens', with its clients becoming those of the latter's, too. The deal includes the purchase of approximately $72 billion of SVB assets at a discount of $16.5 billion, while around $90 billion in securities and other assets were not included. The FDIC believes SVB's failure will cost the government’s deposit insurance fund around $20 billion.

FDIC sold most of SVB's assets to First Citizens by offering a $16.5b discount.

The regulator is also reviving a tactic used during the financial crisis known as a shared loss agreement (SLA), which can help improve recovery by keeping the assets in the private sector though it also gives the buyer bank some risk.

In comments for his senate testimony Tuesday, the FDIC's Gruenberg said, "the FDIC received bids from only two institutions, only one of which provided a valid offer on the insured deposits and some of the assets of SVB."

In total, the deal shows how much government assistance will be required to stoke new deal making during this banking crisis.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-...aking-over-silicon-valley-bank-154218153.html

hallett21

Reaction score
Here come the ramifications…

Can these “paybacks” cause solvency issues? Seems like loans written in the last 18 months are pretty profitable for the banks.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Can these “paybacks” cause solvency issues? Seems like loans written in the last 18 months are pretty profitable for the banks.
At the same time, loans written before the rate increases can be losing money if they weren’t match funded / hedged at the time of closing.

It would take a long time to explain. There would be so much to address with individual banks to determine that.

rrrr

Reaction score
Those banks are paying because the FDIC (read Biden administration) decided to cover all depositors, even those over the insured limit. Easy political decision when someone else has to pay for it.

When Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank failed in March 2023, the FDIC stepped in to protect deposits — including those that weren’t FDIC-insured — to avoid further fallout at other banks. It finalized plans in November to recover costs related to the failures by charging other banks that were FDIC-insured.

Only banks with $5 billion or more in total assets will pay the special assessment fee, which the FDIC estimates is 114 banking organizations. How much banks pay is tied to how much money they carry in uninsured deposits. The FDIC hasn’t released a list of what each bank will pay.

rrrr

Reaction score
At the same time, loans written before the rate increases can be losing money if they weren’t match funded / hedged at the time of closing.
SVB thought 0% interest was going to last forever, even as the government was spending $6 trillion in COVID giveaways and Democrat freebies.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Seems like this mess is still going.

NYCB buys Signature Bank and now tanking. Tried to be the hero but becoming another victim. Weren’t prepared for the new regulations of going over $100 billion in assets.

Markus

Reaction score
Those banks are paying because the FDIC (read Biden administration) decided to cover all depositors, even those over the insured limit. Easy political decision when someone else has to pay for it.

When Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank failed in March 2023, the FDIC stepped in to protect deposits — including those that weren’t FDIC-insured — to avoid further fallout at other banks. It finalized plans in November to recover costs related to the failures by charging other banks that were FDIC-insured.

Only banks with $5 billion or more in total assets will pay the special assessment fee, which the FDIC estimates is 114 banking organizations. How much banks pay is tied to how much money they carry in uninsured deposits. The FDIC hasn’t released a list of what each bank will pay.

It was much better than the alternative, which was a bank run.

Reactions: DLC

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Seems like this mess is still going.

NYCB buys Signature Bank and now tanking. Tried to be the hero but becoming another victim. Weren’t prepared for the new regulations of going over $100 billion in assets.
Increasing losses and non-performing loans in commercial real estate as well. It doesn't appear break the bank bad - yet.

DLC

Reaction score
FDIC comes in and you get to choose which shot glass has the acorn inside….

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The only thing that saves them is when Jamie goes on MSNBC to announce the new addition to the jp Morgan family of companies.

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
Even Powell on 60 minutes eluded to more are coming. Pretty bold statement for a Fed President. Yelled doesn’t know what day it is.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score

NY's Hochul Faces 'Political Crisis' As NYCB Collapse Repercussions Loom

teaser image
...if FDIC went "by the book" and next week sold all of the rent stabilized Signature Bank multifamily assets for whatever hard money bid is available. New York would face a political crisis.

WED MAR 6, AT 9:11 AM

And the hits just keep coming...

Once the darling of the small banking crisis comeback, New York Community Bancorp has crashed 45% to fresh 30 year lows after The Wall Street Journal reports the bank is seeking to raise equity capital in a bid to shore up confidence in the troubled regional lender.

According to people familiar with the matter, NYCB has dispatched bankers to gauge investors’ interest in buying stock in the company.

There’s no guarantee there will be a deal, or that one would succeed in addressing the bank’s challenges, which as of Wednesday morning had led to a roughly 80% decline in its stock price since January.

1709748771130.jpeg